Darren Peacock - Defensive Coach at NUFC?

Guest johnson293

Guest johnson293

Was just reading about Darren Peacock on NUFC.com, and then did a Google search to see if there was anything to say what he was doing now, after he had to retire due to a back/neck injury.

On his Wikipedia page it states the following....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Peacock

'In 2008, Peacock agreed a 3-year deal with Newcastle to become a defensive coach, alongside former club assistant manager Chris Hughton. He was living in Portugal at the time.'

Can't remember hearing about this at all, even as a rumour - did it happen, or is it just something thats been added to wiki?

He was terrible, (albeit a cult legend) cant see this one happening.

We certainly would have heard about it at the time if it was true.

He wasn't terrible at all. He was probably the only defender we had at the time who was interested in being an actual defender.

He wasn't terrible at all. He was probably the only defender we had at the time who was interested in being an actual defender.

agree with this. He was usually the one left on his own whilst Beresford, Albert and Watson/Barton bombed forward.

Guest neesy111

i liked the fact although our defence was crucified by pundit's we had the 2nd best defence in the league in keegan's first spell

which shows attack is the best form of defence, which I've always believed in

Used to irritate me intensely to see Peacock criticized because Howey went walkabout.

Never the makem blamed. Baffling.

Fans player of the season twice I think wasnt he?

Looked ungainly, had a tricky start, but I thought he was a good player for us.

EDIT : Donkey Peacock? Your having a laugh mate

Guest Jungle Barry

Once he started tying his hair back he was excellent, as pointed out previously he was usually the one trying to hold the fort while the rest of them were trying to score

Guest Mucky01

‘Sharren’ Peacock (as he was nicknamed because of his long blonde hair), was a very good defender.

Wasn’t it him who had 1 leg 2 inches longer than the other?

i liked the fact although our defence was crucified by pundit's we had the 2nd best defence in the league in keegan's first spell

No different to the team that finished 3rd under Sir Bobby, with a defence of Hughes, O'Brien, Bramble/Dabizas, Distin.

A few average defenders there, a few s*** ones, but overall the stats were good and the defence didn't look that bad because the rest of the team were controlling the game through the midfield and/or ripping teams apart down the other end of the pitch.

Darren Peacock wasn't terrible, he didn't start too well but improved and I wasn't happy to see him leave.

Sharren Peacock (as he was nicknamed because of his long blonde hair), was a very good defender.

Wasnt it him who had 1 leg 2 inches longer than the other?

I think he had special boots made because of his legs being different lengths, he had a minor disability but he was much better than most we've had since he left.

it appears beyond some people on here, that you win more games by attacking.