Darren Peacock - Defensive Coach at NUFC?

Guest johnson293

he was s***. every time the ball came near him i cringed in anticipation of a Bramble

Yeah same here,I thought he was crap at the time but looking back now he prob wasnt that bad considering we played such an attacking formation back then

I assume everyone that thinks Peacock was shit, also believe the myth that Keegan's teams couldn't defend.  What absolute bollocks.

Can't believe people think Peacock was shit. He wasn't a Woodgate, but he got stuck in, was good in the air and read the game reasonably well. I like the way he used to let his striker know he was there. Also, as Tooj alluded to, playing alongside Barton, Beresford and Albert in the back 4 he'd often find himself defending for the whole team.

i liked the fact although our defence was crucified by pundit's we had the 2nd best defence in the league in keegan's first spell

which shows attack is the best form of defence, which I've always believed in

I always thought that was true of the 95/96 season, but I've just checked and we actually only had the 5th best def record, with 37 conceded. Arsenal conceded 32, Liverpool 34 and ManU and Villa 35. Still, that's a long, long way from a shit defence.

Peacock was the king of goal line clearances. Was it Liverpool at home where he ran back to goal ball looping over him into the net to throw out a leg to get it over the bar....twice in the opening 5 mins?

Sure that happened.

Cracking player.

Peacock was the king of goal line clearances. Was it Liverpool at home where he ran back to goal ball looping over him into the net to throw out a leg to get it over the bar....twice in the opening 5 mins?

Sure that happened.

Cracking player.

made me laugh!  and i remember it too

He was terrible, (albeit a cult legend) cant see this one happening.

We certainly would have heard about it at the time if it was true.

He wasn't terrible at all. He was probably the only defender we had at the time who was interested in being an actual defender.

Used to irritate me intensely to see Peacock criticized because Howey went walkabout.

Never the makem blamed. Baffling.

This is spot on. Lost count of the number of times Peacock was left trying to mark two men cos Howey was on the wander.

I had high hopes of Peacock when he signed, but I was a bit disappointed in the end. I didn't think he ever really settled.

As others have said, it didn't help that in Howey and Albert he didn't have the quickest defenders at his side.

Never understood at the time how and why Steve Howey was always picked in the England squad ahead of him.

I never understood how we were able to get money for Howey.

Mackem twat  :aww:

Did a good job for us when at city.