NUSC - Good or Bad?

indi
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buying a  business you cant afford to run well,....Bad.

Protesting against someone doing the above ....Good.

Protesting without any idea of what might constitute a favourable outcome, in a situation where the owner has already tried to sell and found it impossible .... Moronic.

?We are responsible for the effort, not the outcome?

Please tell me that quote is not meant to make NUSC look good ? Makes them a total joke.

It's nowt to do with NUSC.  They kept reiterating it wasn't a protest.

Yeah, we've already established that they are liars and hypocrites.

this is true come one you C.U.N.T.S. show NUSC how its done.

Protesting without any idea of what might constitute a favourable outcome, in a situation where the owner has already tried to sell and found it impossible .... Moronic.

Please tell me that quote is not meant to make NUSC look good ? Makes them a total joke.

Yeah, we've already established that they are liars and hypocrites.

Where?

i wonder if the same idiots who thought nusc destabilised the club will now give them credit for forcing a 9% reduction in season ticket prices.

in reality neither is true but it would be nice to have some consistency on the part of those who criticise an insignificant volunteer ran amatuer fan's club while giving the professional board of the football club an easy ride.

i wonder if the same idiots who thought nusc destabilised the club will now give them credit for forcing a 9% reduction in season ticket prices.

in reality neither is true but it would be nice to have some consistency on the part of those who criticise an insignificant volunteer ran amatuer fan's club while giving the professional board of the football club an easy ride.

They caused JFK's heart attack too. And they're the reason our bid for Michael Johnson wasn't accepted. And they make Disco Derek cry.

Why mention it then?

I won't be giving NUSC credit for the price reduction, because there's no evidence it's anything to do with them. And I will criticise the fans that caused chaos after KK left, because I don't agree with what they did.

Why mention it then?

I won't be giving NUSC credit for the price reduction, because there's no evidence it's anything to do with them. And I will criticise the fans that caused chaos after KK left, because I don't agree with what they did.

because a bunch of people on here got all hot and bothered that 'the fans' are to blame for the state we are in, really laughable stuff like 'the banner made us lose' on one occasion. people are more than willing to point out how much damage an insignificant fan club are doing (and how badly run they are whilst giving the professional club board lots of slack). nusc must be very influential if they can cause such damage!

so i just wondered if the same people would also dish out the credit for putting pressure on the board to try and win fans round. you do both or you do none.

Why mention it then?

because a bunch of people on here got all hot and bothered that 'the fans' are to blame for the state we are in, really laughable stuff like 'the banner made us lose' on one occasion. people are more than willing to point out how much damage an insignificant fan club are doing (and how badly run they are whilst giving the professional club board lots of slack). nusc must be very influential if they can cause such damage!

so i just wondered if the same people would also dish out the credit for putting pressure on the board to try and win fans round. you do both or you do none.

NUSC wasn't even formed before the Hull game so I'm not sure what you're on about, I don't remember them asking the club to reduce season ticket prices either.

Do you even know yourself what you're on about?

Why mention it then?

NUSC wasn't even formed before the Hull game so I'm not sure what you're on about, I don't remember them asking the club to reduce season ticket prices either.

Do you even know yourself what you're on about?

that's partially my point actually.

Why mention it then?

The fan's unrest - not all to do with just the NUSC - may not have helped things but its incorrect to suggest that people blame "the fans" and no-one else for the state that we are in. They don't, from what I see (I don't live in Newcastle so I won't speak for the man on the street). I don't know why people like yourself say they do.

The NUSC may have helped influence the ticket price reduction, so fair play to them for that. Credit to the regime for it too, though there is no undeniable proof that the NUSC deserve the most credit for it.

Why mention it then?

The fan's unrest - not all to do with just the NUSC - may not have helped things but its incorrect to suggest that people blame "the fans" and no-one else for the state that we are in. They don't, from what I see (I don't live in Newcastle so I won't speak for the man on the street). I don't know why people like yourself say they do.

The NUSC may have helped influence the ticket price reduction, so fair play to them for that. Credit to the regime for it too, though there is no undeniable proof that the NUSC deserve the most credit for it.

im not saying no-one blames anyone else, but there is a portion on here who are ready to pounce when it comes to NUSC, or any set of fans they happen to disagree with, yet who are strangely timid when it comes to criticising ashley and the board. we had people saying a banner caused us defeat, that nusc 'forced' ashley to sell up (before nusc even existed!), that fans caused venables not to join when it was down to the length of contract and so on. i just dont understand it, one is a pretty irrelevent volunteer ran newly established group of fans trying to do good for the club without much success, the other are the professional people who run our century old club, a business worth hundreds of millions. if anything, the slack should be given to NUSC whilst the board should be held to the highest possible standards.

fair enough if you think nusc deserve credit for the drop in prices, maybe the general mood of unrest precipitated that, as it did when ashley tried to sell up, but essentially, fans react to situations, they do not cause them, and the people who should get the stick when it goes wrong or praise when it goes right are the people who run the club, not some blokes in the tyneside irish centre.

I'm not afraid to say it and i've said this all before.

Our fans were outside SJP with badly spelt banners by lunchtime of September 2nd 2008 on hearing the news that Keegan was leaving.

No facts were known then about why he was leaving. All blame had already been assigned in a vacuum of accurate information on the basis of an emotional reaction and (so far) unfounded beliefs about what had happened.

The protests at the Hull game were based on the same level of information and the same emotion as those outside the ground the day he left.

IMO The fans reaction made it impossible to find the requisite standard of team manager to replace Keegan. I dont think you can argue that the events had no bearing on the subsequent appointment without looking really stupid. Kinnear's appointment (the maker or breaker of the season) came about because of the over-reaction of the fans to the situation. Yes / no?

The trick for me to understanding the 2008/9 season so far is being able to seperate the events pre and post-Keegan's departure. Once Keegan had gone, there was no going back. If the fans attending the Hull game and the stupid protests had been more balanced and circumspect in their outlook, then other managers (imo) would have taken us on. The problem for ashley was that you couldnt really expect the fans to act in this manner if you play with fire and bring the messiah back to Tyneside.

However, the question i'm looking at is the impact of the reaction and the role this reaction has played subsequently this season. We know the thought process of one potential manager (Venables). He directly cites the fans in his reasons for turning it down and if you read between the lines (he was respectful) basically says 'fuck that'. Its only a n=1 sample of reasons but i'd hazard that it reflects the reasons why everyone else they approached turned us down. Its the only data we have to be fair.

Yeah the fans attending that day made the club look like a chaotic mess that was spiralling angrily out of control. So just admit that and get over yourselves. The fans played a part. Given the emotional maturity on display i'm not surprised people cant take any form of responsibility for the consequences of their actions i.e. the appointment of Kinnear. 

I'm sure there were some clinically insane nutjobs wandering round last October thinking 'all we need to do is keep causing chaos and some multi-billionaire is going to come along, buy the club and re-appoint Keegan'. I'm glad to see the NUSC isnt clinging to this view now we've moved on slightly from events.

In fact, i'm of the view that if Ashley had managed to sell the club the chances of going down would have been higher. Just look at City and where they were after their further upheaval last summer. They spent big in January as they looked in very poor shape. Imagine us with another manager, another owner, only January to sort it and incomparable spending power? Is that the stability that NUSC were looking for?

Disclaimer - none of this affects my view that  Ashley has been doing a shit job since he arrived.

Our fans were outside SJP with badly spelt banners by lunchtime of September 2nd 2008 on hearing the news that Keegan was leaving.

No facts were known then about why he was leaving. All blame had already been assigned in a vacuum of accurate information on the basis of an emotional reaction and (so far) unfounded beliefs about what had happened.

The protests at the Hull game were based on the same level of information and the same emotion as those outside the ground the day he left.

IMO The fans reaction made it impossible to find the requisite standard of team manager to replace Keegan. I dont think you can argue that the events had no bearing on the subsequent appointment without looking really stupid. Kinnear's appointment (the maker or breaker of the season) came about because of the over-reaction of the fans to the situation. Yes / no?

The trick for me to understanding the 2008/9 season so far is being able to seperate the events pre and post-Keegan's departure. Once Keegan had gone, there was no going back. If the fans attending the Hull game and the stupid protests had been more balanced and circumspect in their outlook, then other managers (imo) would have taken us on. The problem for ashley was that you couldnt really expect the fans to act in this manner if you play with fire and bring the messiah back to Tyneside.

However, the question i'm looking at is the impact of the reaction and the role this reaction has played subsequently this season. We know the thought process of one potential manager (Venables). He directly cites the fans in his reasons for turning it down and if you read between the lines (he was respectful) basically says 'fuck that'. Its only a n=1 sample of reasons but i'd hazard that it reflects the reasons why everyone else they approached turned us down. Its the only data we have to be fair.

Yeah the fans attending that day made the club look like a chaotic mess that was spiralling angrily out of control. So just admit that and get over yourselves. The fans played a part. Given the emotional maturity on display i'm not surprised people cant take any form of responsibility for the consequences of their actions i.e. the appointment of Kinnear. 

I'm sure there were some clinically insane nutjobs wandering round last October thinking 'all we need to do is keep causing chaos and some multi-billionaire is going to come along, buy the club and re-appoint Keegan'. I'm glad to see the NUSC isnt clinging to this view now we've moved on slightly from events.

In fact, i'm of the view that if Ashley had managed to sell the club the chances of going down would have been higher. Just look at City and where they were after their further upheaval last summer. They spent big in January as they looked in very poor shape. Imagine us with another manager, another owner, only January to sort it and incomparable spending power? Is that the stability that NUSC were looking for?

Disclaimer - none of this affects my view that  Ashley has been doing a shit job since he arrived.

Two Michelin stars for you Chezweiler.

Guest toonlass

While the fans who have boycotted and protested despite not knowing the truth have to realise that they have contributed to the mess that this club is in, Mike Ashley could and should have come out on September 2nd and told everyone exactly what was going on. The deafening silence from the club is pushing fans further and further away. The crap that the Chronicle and Journal published from Llambias answered absolutely nothing. The position of the club is not yet unsalvagable. Mike Ashley could turn things around, but he has no footballing knowledge, Llambias has no footballing knowledge. He should be listening to the people who DO know Newcastle United best, the fans! None of us are happy that Kinnear looks to be a long term manager, he is not going to take us anywhere spectacular. None of us seem that happy that Wise is sitting in his Ivory tower, untouchable, unaccountable. None of us are happy that the "chairman" feels that his duties extend no further than the sale of pies and chips on matchdays. The fans feel alienated from the hierarchy of the club, humiliated by the fiasco that is going on, and patronised by an owner who simply hasn't got a scooby what he is doing.

However, the question i'm looking at is the impact of the reaction and the role this reaction has played subsequently this season. We know the thought process of one potential manager (Venables). He directly cites the fans in his reasons for turning it down and if you read between the lines (he was respectful) basically says 'f*** that'. Its only a n=1 sample of reasons but i'd hazard that it reflects the reasons why everyone else they approached turned us down. Its the only data we have to be fair.

Disclaimer - none of this affects my view that  Ashley has been doing a s*** job since he arrived.

No Imo, you know that statement Ashley released when annoucing his vision for the club, but now putting it on the market? It would have helped a lot if he released that, without the putting it on the market bit, a day or two after Keegan went. He could have quite easily done that, and it would have made a difference, but he didnt.

Tim, not sure why Ashley would have put a statement out in reaction to the events at the Hull game before the Hull game? How does that one work?

Our league position (the only thing that matters imo) is down to the club's inability to appoint a top class manager. I feel that the chaos at the club made that impossible. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone as being 'to blame' but i am saying the fans reaction was a factor, which i've backed up by using the only public information we have on why one target turned us down.

Yeah, we've already established that they are liars and hypocrites .

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mfl/lowres/mfln130l.jpg

foreign managers threw their name into the ring - fatih terim for one. the problem attracting a british manager was the interference at board level meant no one would touch us other than the desperae, and subsequently ashley selling up meant unsurety - ie venables not coming because the length of contract was insufficient. one or two, chez included, wrongly said it was due to the fans, venables himself quashed that. fans do not cause problems to arise, they react to them. the furore after the hull match was a reaction to instability within the club, not the cause of it. the furore may have contributed to ashley deciding to sell, but it categorically did not force ashley into anything, he chose of his own free will to do what he did, and is also responsible for the initial situation arising by his botched job at appointing a managerial team/system, and is also to blame for anything that has happened subsequently. he couldve stuck it out, got in a foreign manager to work with his overrated 'system' and ploughed on, much like west ham. alternatively he couldve scrapped the system and backed keegan, or scrapped the system and appointed a british full time manager (who has to have been around in the 90s). there was a range of options open to him, and the present state of the club lies with him (and former chairmen/owners), not the fans. suggesting otherwise is opting out of any sensible critique of the club itself, completely dodging the real issues at stake. and that is basically what this perennial focus on NUSC by a small group of ashley apologists is about - deflection tactics. get over them, they're really NOT that important, but the people running the club are.

Ashley couldnt offer him the job on a permanent basis with hysterical protests going on.

You also need to read between the lines. He turned us down graciously of course. The job 'meaning too much to too many people' being the context.

Yes, I'm sure the inevitable short term reaction of supporters to a legend walking out on the club had FAR more to do with who we could get to do the job than the fact the job vacancy was for a 1 month contract to be the lowest paid "manager" in the division.  :nope:

If supporter unrest was a deterring factor in getting in anyone better than Kinnear, it was way, way, way down on the relevancy scale compared to things like pay, length of contract, the fact the club was publicly up for sale, that they would not have control of transfers, or that the club is owned and run by a bunch of clueless amateurs who think employing their mates over people actually qualified for a job is the route to success.

Ashley couldnt offer him the job on a permanent basis with hysterical protests going on.

You also need to read between the lines. He turned us down graciously of course. The job 'meaning too much to too many people' being the context.

If Venables was going to turn the job down due to the protests, why would he have discussions with the club over the job for 2 days rather than just turning it down flat straight away?

Guest The Libertine

plenty wont agree but i do. a scapegoat was assigned and protested against before anybody knew ANYTHING. very poor form on "our" part.

Yes, I'm sure the inevitable short term reaction of supporters to a legend walking out on the club had FAR more to do with who we could get to do the job than the fact the job vacancy was for a 1 month contract to be the lowest paid "manager" in the division.  :nope:

If supporter unrest was a deterring factor in getting in anyone better than Kinnear, it was way, way, way down on the relevancy scale compared to things like pay, length of contract, the fact the club was publicly up for sale, that they would not have control of transfers, or that the club is owned and run by a bunch of clueless amateurs who think employing their mates over people actually qualified for a job is the route to success.

If Venables was going to turn the job down due to the protests, why would he have discussions with the club over the job for 2 days rather than just turning it down flat straight away?

Venables was already the bottom of the barrel in terms of qualified premiership managers. Kinnear's acceptance of the role was because no one else wanted it. My post was to understand what those reasons might be, including the ones you highlight. For the outsider, Keegan leaving a club could mean many different things as he has done it in controversial circumstances before. Anyway, yes, i'm sure other factors played a part, as i've already said.

More specifically though, you were privvy to the fact that they discussed details for 2 days before he made a decision? Well no, you werent, all you know is that it took 2 days between approach and decision.

It would have taken an outsider about that time to evaluate the situation, including the fans reaction and the stability of the job. 

This is all obvious, as is the fact that the spiralling chaos surrounding the club which the fans contributed to made us about as unattractive a proposition a club of our stature's can be.

I don't agree at all that supporters have played a part in the demise of the club.

If anything, the sheer volume and nature of the reaction should have made it even more apparent to those who already know, how great a job it should be and how huge satisfying the rewards of success would be

The reasons behind the walkout out by Keegan, the fact that the club was up for sale, and the fact that it was made clear that no change was going to be made would have been by country miles the biggest reasons why nobody wanted the job.

More specifically though, you were privvy to the fact that they discussed details for 2 days before he made a decision? Well no, you werent, all you know is that it took 2 days between approach and decision.

"I can confirm I met Newcastle representatives," Venables told The Sun. "Those talks will continue in the morning [today] when, hopefully, I can give them a final decision."