Another New Contract Offered To Owen

Skirge

Guest neesy111

totally the wrong approach especially for a player that is reaching 30 very soon

get rid and replace with a young hungry striker

Guest guinness_fiend

I wonder why the offer ran out on January 1st.

Rhetorical question?

I suspect that the club wanted to call Owen's bluff, as he could not be more ambiguous about his future if he possibly tried.  As Owen has not accepted the revised offer, the club can now either table an increased offer or make contingency plans with regard to Owen's probably exit from the club for two magic beans and a scratchcard come August.

The actual article doesn't contain anything about Owen being offered a new contract. It actually says that the current offer has been withdrawn, and they'll talk to him at the end of the season to see what he wants to do.

It sounds like they've accepted that they've lost the battle and he's going.

I can understand the offer being withdrawn. We don't know what the situation will be at the end of the season, financially or in terms of Owen's fitness.

Didn't realise M.Owen was a young,hungry player who won't command stupid wages. How does this fit in with "the plan"

Right. And the club wonders why they are not believed. One day we've got a five year plan and we're lamenting having to pay for poor purchases of the previous regime, and the next we're doubling down on our losses. Emre, Duff, Martins, and Luque are mentioned by name as players we are still paying for or just paid off. And Owen? Not a word. Please, let's just move on. We need a new captain and a player. I'd rather we spent the money on Martins tbh.

Don't have an issue with this.

Neither do I. I can see why the club wants to keep Owen, he's an icon in a way. I wouldn't be sad to see the back of him though if he weren't to sign it, I've had enough of him in a way.

I'll have mixed feelings when Owen goes.

On form he's still capable of scoring goals regularly and we'll certainly miss the prestige and pull he gives us as a club. It also doesn't look great that we've not sorted something out long before now.

On the other hand he's clearly been paid too much (understandable considering he never wanted to be here) and doesn't offer nearly enough to the team when he's off form. It doesn't do us any favours these days to have such a big fish in our increasingly small pond either.

Guest Mucky01

there’ll be loads on here that want to throw rocks at me for this, but:

Duff has been playing really well recently and we have been getting a lot more ‘end product’ from him than Spidey lately.

Duff has been playing really well recently and we have been getting a lot more ‘end product’ from him than Spidey lately.

Duff had one good game against WBA where Jonas was suspended, but was shite against the mackems.

Don't really see how this has anything to do with Owen's new contract though.

Guest Mucky01

Duff had one good game against WBA where Jonas was suspended, but was s**** against the mackems.

Don't really see how this has anything to do with Owen's new contract though.

it was in the quote in the 1st post of this thread and commented on in several of the following posts.

Think it might be worth keeping Owen just for how much his name value improve's the club's worth as a brand. That's probably why the management team is willing to shell out the $$$ on him as well despite being utter tight-arses otherwise.

I mean, even my girlfriend knows who Michael Owen is, that's got to count for something.

is she any good?