Newcastle United 0 - 0 Everton - 22/02/09 - post match reaction from page 23

Dave

I love Jonas but that attempt, and two crosses he had, were particularly amateurish. No direction, no power... neither nowt nor nothing really. You'd think that can be coached though.

That said, his weaknesses in these areas are exaggerated by the fact there's no bugger else to compensate for them. Call that making excuses for him if you want... but we need him in the team because he shows endeavour and pushes the team forward; he has crucial pace too. We shouldn't have to be relying on him as a key player though; i've said this before - he'd have been fucking mint in Sir Bobby's team, what with the likes of Solano, Bernard, Dyer, Speed there to provide some guaranteed delivery. Jonas would be allowed to do his thing in the right way - meanwhile we're relying on him to be mint at everything, and it just ain't happening.

he'd have been fucking mint in Sir Bobby's team, what with the likes of Solano, Bernard, Dyer, Speed there to provide some guaranteed delivery. Jonas would be allowed to do his thing in the right way - meanwhile we're relying on him to be mint at everything, and it just ain't happening.

Totally agreed.

is it the jonas chance? he wasn't through on goal or in a brilliant striking position but he should have done a lot better.

He panicked. He's not a striker or even a goalscoring midfielder, so I'm not that bothered. Should have done better but these things happen.

How much do we play players a week for them to panic and come nowhere near hitting the target.

Fuck me if we can't get frustrated or angry about player's basic failures we might as well give up.

When you put it like that, Jonas is nowhere near good enough for us. We really should have someone like Ryan Giggs or David Villa in that role.

I played pub football in a local league - probably about 56 levels below the PREMIER LEAGUE (© Spence) - from such a gulf I expect professionals to be able to hit the target with shots most of the time and maybe pass to their team mates occasionally compared to my shitness. The fact that I have to repeatedly comment on the fact that we (and other teams) have players who cannot do that on a consistent basis drives me mental. There is no excuse for basic ineptitude.

Of course they have better defenders against them and may try more outrageous things but the basics should be a given and I'm sick of people settling for it.

Guttierez looks a decent player to me - not the superstar some clam but a good player at our level with a reasonable level of talent. However he need to start putting it to good use which means crosses, final passes and goals - am I really expecting too much?

Guest nufc1892

Nolan ruined the game with his crazy challenge.

i dont know why this things happens always to our team.

we used to have bowyer,we used to have barton,now we have nolan...

im sick of this stupid players.

besides of this crazy tackle we are lucky to have one point.

if everton played with their best players im sure that they were going to beat us.

i dont know why hughton didnt start with oba,viduka and jonas?????????

but its obvious that hughton is out of his league.

even when we were 11 to 11 everton played better football than us.

im afraid to think about the games against man utd,chelsea and arsenal with hughton in charge

god help us against relegation...

is it the jonas chance? he wasn't through on goal or in a brilliant striking position but he should have done a lot better.

He panicked. He's not a striker or even a goalscoring midfielder, so I'm not that bothered. Should have done better but these things happen.

How much do we play players a week for them to panic and come nowhere near hitting the target.

Fuck me if we can't get frustrated or angry about player's basic failures we might as well give up.

When you put it like that, Jonas is nowhere near good enough for us. We really should have someone like Ryan Giggs or David Villa in that role.

I played pub football in a local league - probably about 56 levels below the PREMIER LEAGUE (© Spence) - from such a gulf I expect professionals to be able to hit the target with shots most of the time and maybe pass to their team mates occasionally compared to my shitness. The fact that I have to repeatedly comment on the fact that we (and other teams) have players who cannot do that on a consistent basis drives me mental. There is no excuse for basic ineptitude.

Of course they have better defenders against them and may try more outrageous things but the basics should be a given and I'm sick of people settling for it.

Guttierez looks a decent player to me - not the superstar some clam but a good player at our level with a reasonable level of talent. However he need to start putting it to good use which means crosses, final passes and goals - am I really expecting too much?

What is your point? Would you prefer to start Duff up front, that seems to be the other option which is the one Hughton took? Do you think Duff offers more?

What is your point? Would you prefer to start Duff up front, that seems to be the other option which is the one Hughton took? Do you think Duff offers more?

Duff is very much on my "should never play for us again" list.

I would have Guttierez in the team - my point was just that I felt his chance was an excellent one which I'd expect a good player (which I think he is) to do better and I don't understand why people are "letting him off" so easily.

Duff is very much on my "should never play for us again" list.

I would have Guttierez in the team - my point was just that I felt his chance was an excellent one which I'd expect a good player (which I think he is) to do better and I don't understand why people are "letting him off" so easily.

I think people realise he's not good enough in final product, he's just better than anything else we've got as you yourself acknowledge.

For a player getting in Argentinas first team who we bought for his pace & control on the ball. He should have done a whole lot better than he did, he scored from a much harder chance against france.

you just taking the piss now?

Hard to say he provides much more than N'zogbia did beyond tracking back more. His end product aint been up to much just like Zogs, but zog has a better shot on him.

Guest Brummiemag

Nolan ruined the game with his crazy challenge.

i dont know why this things happens always to our team.

we used to have bowyer,we used to have barton,now we have nolan...

im sick of this stupid players.

besides of this crazy tackle we are lucky to have one point.

if everton played with their best players im sure that they were going to beat us.

i dont know why hughton didnt start with oba,viduka and jonas?????????

but its obvious that hughton is out of his league.

even when we were 11 to 11 everton played better football than us.

im afraid to think about the games against man utd,chelsea and arsenal with hughton in charge

god help us against relegation...

Good post,  I cannot understand why Jonas and Martins didnt start. They are our 2 most creative players. After saying that I'm pleased with a point in what was a dreadful game

Mental team selection, I know the "you do not change a winning side" theory but it was a make shift team tht beat West Brom not a team that had been on a winning run. Jonas and Oba should have started, Shola was again very very poor and Duff is inafective.

Nolans tackle was a pure disgrace but we all know he does have that kind of tackle in him.

Bassong and Enrique were very good today as were both Taylors but I am still not convinced by Colo.

Mental team selection, I know the "you do not change a winning side" theory but it was a make shift team tht beat West Brom not a team that had been on a winning run. Jonas and Oba should have started, Shola was again very very poor and Duff is inafective.

Nolans tackle was a pure disgrace but we all know he does have that kind of tackle in him.

Bassong and Enrique were very good today as were both Taylors but I am still not convinced by Colo.

Colo had a very good game I thought.

I would expect more off a £10 million defender. His distribution was abysmal, especially his passing.

Nothing special but nothing crap, as some people on here will let you believe!

I would expect more off a £10 million defender. His distribution was abysmal, especially his passing.

That would make sense if he hadn't passed the ball very well today.

For a target player Ameobi isnt very much of a target, never seen a big bloke like that lose so many duels in the air, terrible

Lovenkradns unlucky with his finish, and Martins looked a threat when he came in, you can see the other teams pushing back 10-20 yards just because of him being there.

Nolans tackle is just so stupid, a typical hot head tackle.

Saylor looked a player with the heart on his sleaves today, credit to him.

Bassong, man, Bassong has become his own chapter this season, what a fucking player he is, "The Real Rock" Bassong.

Harper saved us today imo, the reaction save is just crazy.

all in all happy with 1 point, we would have won it if we had 11 men all of the 90 minutes played.

Id go with all of that, apart from the last bit about winning the game.

Its his lack of pace that I fear most, he gets turned way way to easy and is not quick enough to make up the lost ground, I am not writing him off but when you look at our CB pairing Bassong looks like the £10mill player.

Guest timmy boy

His passing was crap but he doesn't have a midfield player  who is willing to drop deep and take the ball off him, it was like he had to bypass the centre midfield every time he was looking for a pass. Which resulted in it  ending up being hoofed onto their centre backs head half the time.

Gave the ball away afew times from what I can remember, maybe its just the ale, so forgive me! ;)

Its his lack of pace that I fear most, he gets turned way way to easy and is not quick enough to make up the lost ground, I am not writing him off but when you look at our CB pairing Bassong looks like the £10mill player.

Bassong looks the better player, but they work well together IMO.

Guest nufc1892

another 90 min of agony...

when you see newcastle play and after that you see barcelona or man utd play....

its like driving trabant and after that go drive lamborgini....

we are playing one of the most dreadful football in the premiership

Back four were very good today. Bassong is a quality player. He made a few little mistakes but made the effort to rectify them. His partnership with Colllo is coming along nicely. Best game I've seen from Jose too, strong and quick!

Harpers distribution was TERRIBLE! He was hanging his head after four or five real ricks. Never really put under any pressure though.

Shola... WTF!!! How he is even still at the club, never mind starting is a complete f*****g mystery. I swear he flicked on the only header he won to absolutely no-one. He must have known he was the last man!

Had the audacity to clap the crowd as he was jeered off.