Bolton 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 01/03/09 - post match reaction from page 20

Dave

Guest Stephen927

Jonas created practically every chance.  :undecided:  Still crap though?

We need a scapegoat, Taylor, Owen, Enrique and Butt are starting to get boring now.

;)

Oba didn't look fit at all. He was just as quick in a running sense, but his touches and shots, etc. were more slow and laboured than usual. Needs to lose the hair as well. Looked like he was going to hit the crackpipe after the match, ffs. Thought Steven taylor regresed significantly from the bit of form he's had at right back. No forward initiative going forward (not really his fault) and he should have been more proactive on the goal (along with Butt). For someone who likes to play hero, he hides from the brave decision too much.

Hughton defends Martins decision

Mar 2 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

CHRIS Hughton has shrugged off the abuse he received from Newcastle’s fans after his decision to substitute Obafemi Martins as United crashed 1-0 at Bolton yesterday.

Martins left the field with United’s away fans chanting ‘you don’t know what you’re doing’ at caretaker manager Hughton and first-team coach Colin Calderwood, even though the Nigerian had been utterly ineffective in the second half. Hughton, though, is quickly having to adjust to the pressure of frontline management in the absence of manager Joe Kinnear and he was unapologetic for making the substitution. “What everyone must realise is that Oba has been out of action for quite some time,” he said afterwards. “We were able to bring him on in the last game and he gave us a good 35 minutes.

“It was right and fitting he start, but he’s been out and perhaps just lacked that little bit of sharpness, that’s why we took him off and brought Mark Viduka on.”

However, the frustration in the away section had just as much to do with the team’s collective lethargy as the replacement of one of their favourite players, and this was a worrying performance given that Middlesbrough and Blackburn won.

Newcastle are just two points above the bottom three and host Manchester United on Wednesday before another relegation showdown at Hull City on March 14.

The breathing space their victory at West Brom brought them last month has evaporated and relegation is once again a very real fear at St James’s Park. Hughton said: “We’re in a relegation scrap with 10 to 12 other teams. A series of wins or non losses can creep you away from that. We’re under no illusions of where we are at the moment.

“I don’t see this as a catastrophic weekend for us. From now to the end of the season there’ll be weekends that go for us and weekends that go against us. We’re on the back of three games that we haven’t lost. We’ve lost today, which is a bitter blow, but all we can do is look forward to the next game.

“What can smack you in the face is if you look at the games you have to win. At the moment all our thoughts are on the home game against Man U.”

Newcastle probably did about enough to leave the Reebok Stadium with a point, but this was still a poor performance for prolonged periods as Ricardo Gardner’s goal early in the second half was enough to separate the sides. Hughton added: “I thought it was a spirited performance. We had the better opportunities, but there was that moment when we switched off and we were made to pay. We perhaps lacked that little bit of guile and composure we needed to break them down.

“We conceded at a very bad time and the goal gave them a lift. We were able to get back into the game. They were aware that we had to force the issue and at times we did – we at times took chances. When you’re protecting a lead you do tend to get bodies back and I think they did that and defensively coped well.”

To make matters worse for the Magpies, two of their most experienced players will miss the Man United game. Damien Duff did not figure against Bolton because of a calf injury and Nicky Butt fears he has damaged his medial knee ligaments, and could be out of action for up to six weeks.

Look Oba is at least honest about the gane, shame Houghton cannot betoo.

Oba - "“For me, we didn’t play well at all. It’s not good at all, because we have to put our maximum effort into our football.”"

I don't get the reaction towards Oba being subbed. He's just come back from injury, and whilst it didn't look like he was over-exerting himself during the match it is standard protocol to take special care with returning players. He's probably our most potentially lethal attacking weapon at the moment, and indeed during the game, which is why we have to extra care not to aggravate any physical issues. It's just a shame our bench is so poor at the moment that if he comes off we're immediately going to look a lesser side.

I don't get the reaction towards Oba being subbed. He's just come back from injury, and whilst it didn't look like he was over-exerting himself during the match it is standard protocol to take special care with returning players. He's probably our most potentially lethal attacking weapon at the moment, and indeed during the game, which is why we have to extra care not to aggravate any physical issues. It's just a shame our bench is so poor at the moment that if he comes off we're immediately going to look a lesser side.

It's the same as it's always been with fans while they're watching the game. Everyone understands that Oba might just be our most crucial player for the remaining ames, but that fact of the matter is that we were losing the game that was being played and Oba is the most likely to go and get the winner. It may seem logical after the game, but I'm sure you, like most others, felt our chances of equalizing were diminished when our weapon of mass destruction was subbed.

I really hope Viduka is fit to start soon. Even in his little bit of time on, he showed more class than Shola will ever be able to.

It may seem logical after the game, but I'm sure you, like most others, felt our chances of equalizing were diminished when our weapon of mass destruction was subbed.

I did, as my post implied. But on the other hand I can understand why he was taken off and in retrospect it's safer to not take the risk of losing him again by playing him for longer than might be preferable for someone coming back from injury.

I think it wasn't the substition in isolation, more a chance for the fans to sing "you don't know what you're doing" to Hughton, which I felt was a correct assessment.

This thread has gone back in time.

Haha, yeah sorry about that. It's the threads per page ratio which has been reset after yesterday.

Have all them posts disappeared into oblivion then? :D

I guess they never actually existed. ;)

This thread has gone back in time.

Haha, yeah sorry about that. It's the threads per page ratio which has been reset after yesterday.

You should have left it as it was. My birthday thread made a second page until it got reset :(

Also, how much of a f***ing joke are clubs like Bolton?

True - but what does that make us ?

You know that Bolton is just a part of the Greater Manchester conurbation.

How easy would it be for them just to jump on the Man U bandwagon as legitimate fans from Manchester.

Respect is due to all loyal Bolton fans