U23s & Academy

Skirge

Youngsters Samuel Adjei, Phil Airey, Ryan Donaldson, Stephen Folan, Jeff Henderson, Tamas Kadar, Greg McDermott and Patrick Nzuzi have been released.

New contracts have been offered to Paul Dummett, Bradden Inman, Conor Newton, Michael Richardson and James Tavernier.

Airey being released is a bit strange, but if he's deemed not good enough then so be it. Will be interesting to see some of the younger lads step up i.e Campbell and Streete, if it isn't too soon for them.

Airey being released is a bit strange, but if he's deemed not good enough then so be it. Will be interesting to see some of the younger lads step up i.e Campbell and Streete, if it isn't too soon for them.

Born in 91, he is at that age where you should start breaking into the first team squad. If they saw no chance of that, it's the right thing to do. Didn't look particularly exiting to me the only time I've seen him, think it was in the League Cup this autumn

Guest palnese

Airey only played once for the first team, I think.

Came on as a sub at fucking Stevenage?

Guest bimpy474

Correct, indeed he did.

Didn't know that, get in I saw Fairy live!!

Phil Airey seemed to be one of those who scored loads of goals but none of those who really watched him ever thought he would make the step up.

Hey.  Less of the badmouthing Stevenage :)

/About fucking time they released this list too.  Most other clubs gave out who they were releasing a while ago.

Louis Storey & Ben Sayer released too.

had a feeling Storey would go once young Kitchen was getting picked ahead of him at the back end of then season for the reserves.

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder

#nufc Academy also recruits Ryan McKinnon, James Morgan, Greg Olley, Jonathyn Quinn, Lubomir Satka and Liam Smith

Expand

Reply  Retweet  Favorite

1m Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder

#nufc Academy recruits Rolando Aarons, Macauley Booth, Macauley Gillesphey, Alex Gilliead and Tom Heardman

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder

#nufc Academy also recruits Ryan McKinnon, James Morgan, Greg Olley, Jonathyn Quinn, Lubomir Satka and Liam Smith

Expand

Reply  Retweet  Favorite

1m Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder

#nufc Academy recruits Rolando Aarons, Macauley Booth, Macauley Gillesphey, Alex Gilliead and Tom Heardman

Good player

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/9778437.Magpies_have_work_to_do_to_get_top_status/?ref=twtrec

NEWCASTLE UNITED are still hoping their academy will be awarded top category status despite the findings of a recent audit highlighting that more work must be done to achieve their goal.

Football clubs throughout the country have been - or are in the process of being - examined and assessed to determined which category status their academy will be granted as part of the implementation of the new Elite Player Performance Plan.

And while indications are that Middlesbrough could join Sunderland in securing Category 1 status, Newcastle have initially been informed they have fallen short of the criteria required.

Magpies sources claim over the next few weeks they are aiming to prove they can fulfil the aspects of the criteria where they did not come up to scratch when independent auditors, Foot Pass England, carried out their checks.

The finer details of what is being asked of Newcastle are unclear, but The Insider has learned they are optimistic they can still join Sunderland in being regarded as a Category 1 club. Middlesbrough, who say they are awaiting official results of the national audit, are hopeful of a rank alongside their Wearside neighbours.

Under the new EPPP rules there are a variety of changes, ranging from the access time clubs can have with their schoolboys to changes to the restrictions currently in place regarding the way young footballers are scouted.

Depending on how a club is categorised in the four-tier category, it becomes easier for higher ranked clubs to transfer promising schoolboys from other clubs lower down the tier system.

So Newcastle, whose owner Mike Ashley is keen to ensure they are in the best shape to attract leading young talents, are keen to convince the auditors they do deserve Category 1 status rather than 2.

Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough have all been pursuing top status and all hope to be in a position to challenge the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City for the best schoolboys around.

Otherwise a Category 2 club, which could be Newcastle, will be in a position where they may have to allow a Category 1 club, which could be Middlesbrough, to take their players for cheap, relatively speaking in professional football terms.