U23s & Academy

Skirge

Dylan Stephenson joined South Shields on loan 

Thought he could do better than that considering he was with the first team squad in some pre seasons 

24 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Spurious link maybe but fits our recruitment strategy.

https://onefootball.com/fr/news/newcastle-eyeing-shock-swoop-for-man-united-academy-contract-rebel-omari-forson-38940944

19 year old striker. Debuted for the first team and has made the bench for Manure a few times. Out of contract in the summer.

Similar to Harrison on the expiring contract front.

25 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Starting the youngsters cull early:

Josh Scott -> Queens Park

Charlie Wiggett -> Sligo

Cameron Ferguson->Gone

Remi Savage->Inverness

Looks like we have a strategy to move the 'older' ones on and focus on the u18-20s.

I think we will see a few others move on in the summer who don't seem to be getting game time.

Won't be long before any of the original u21s will be in the squad from before the takeover

29 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

IMG_5388.thumb.png.1897792b645f1c9d2fff3ce8ac4e9c1d.png

Hernes, Diallo and Parkinson playing suggests that we’ve got a few of the big lads back for Luton tomorrow.

That’s a very young u21 team.

Assume they’ll lose and get pelters on social media

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, madras said:

It's encrypted.

Spoiler

Norwegian youngster appeared in the Premier League: - Doesn't feel real
Next to an unknown name in the squad for Newcastle against Aston Villa, was a small Norwegian flag. The name belonged to a promising youngster from Hønefoss.

- It is absolutely sick. You hear nothing, and can do nothing but look around and try to take it in. It's like what you dream about when you're little.

That's what youngster Travis Enrique Hernes tells TV 2 about his first experience from the substitutes' bench for Newcastle. 

Ahead of the match against Fulham in the FA Cup, the Norwegian-Jamaican received the somewhat surprising message that he had been named in the squad for the first team. That in the injury absence of Callum Wilson.

The same thing happened again in the match against Aston Villa a few days later - that time in the Premier League.

- There are players you see on TV and think "Wow, they are good". So when you sit on the bench, all you want is to just experience what it's like to be on the pitch in a Premier League match, he says.

Childhood dream

The 18-year-old from the small village of Heradsbygda outside Hønefoss began training with the Premier League club's first team in November.

Eddie Howe's star-studded crew has several players with a long time in football. It woke the youngster's nerves when he received the message that he was to train with the biggest profiles in the club.

- When I was called up for first-team training, it was absolutely sick to think that I have played with all these guys here on FIFA, and they just have no idea who I am, he says.

He is particularly impressed by the Swedish striker Alexander Isak, who this season has ten goals in 17 games. The same with former Milan player Sandro Tonali.

- It doesn't feel real when you're in the dressing room with Champions League footballers, somehow. But you just have to get used to it, he says.

"Not good enough"

Although he is now living what he himself refers to as a dream, the road to get there has not been easy for the Heradsbygdingen.

At the age of 14, Hernes moved to the football city of Wolverhampton, where he had a trial at the age of 15.

There he received a message he will soon forget:

- They said I wasn't good enough.

- I was really upset. When you're from Norway and going for a career in football***, the only thing you want to do is play for a Premier League club, he says.

Nevertheless, a then 15-year-old Hernes managed to turn the heavy message to his advantage. Instead of breaking himself down, he used it as motivation.

It would prove to be profitable, because just the following year he was given a two-year contract at League One club Shrewsbury. There he got revenge on those who had previously told him that he was not good enough.

- When I was 16 I ended up playing against Wolverhampton, and then I ended up scoring against them, he says and adds:

- So even though I was really upset at first, I think it was for the better.

From the Premier League to the Christmas Cup

However, several training sessions with the first team of "The Magpies" have not put an end to the domestic commitments. In December, he appeared in Modumhallen outside Drammen.

There he participated in the annual space Christmas cup, together with older brother and AaFK player Trace Murray.

- When I was little, my brother always used to play in the Romjul Cup, so I always wanted to play there. Then he said now when I was at home that this year we will play here, he says.

It was a short-lived affair for the youngster, who had to return to the chaos of the Premier League the next day to continue working towards a permanent place in the squad.

For 2024, the aim is to make both his debut and his first start for "The Magpies". It is a goal he himself believes may be within reach.

- When you train with the team every day, and are taken out on the bench, it shows that you are doing something right. I must continue to do my best and show that I deserve that place in the squad, he says.

***translation from the google was simply "When you're from Norway and betting" so felt the need to adjust it manually for obvious reasons [emoji38]

Edited by BergenMagpie
Polishing the formatting