U23s & Academy

Skirge

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Fed up of these behind closed door friendlies, totally spoiling any enthusiasm I have towards doing a youth/reserves blog.  :thdn:

It's one of the many things this club need to change.

Well, its only really started to happen again this season/since Beardsley took charge.

I was wondering earler today what the reasoning behind it was, anyone know? (It makes no sense from what I can see.)

No idea. Guessing the club just don't want the hassle. Even though only a handful of people turn up, they do trample all over the place, which I can imagine does a bit of damage in damp conditions. That's just a wild guess like. They seem happy enough for people to turn up when the games are SJP and Whitley Park, only when the training ground is being used are the doors closed.

Guest Heneage

Fed up of these behind closed door friendlies, totally spoiling any enthusiasm I have towards doing a youth/reserves blog.  :thdn:

It's one of the many things this club need to change.

Well, its only really started to happen again this season/since Beardsley took charge.

Tbh if I had my way I'd look to almost overhaul the way the club covers things like this. I'd get local folk like yourself involved.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

They do with the Football Foundation, and some of the younger Elite age groups mainly have local coaches, or people who studied locally. Not much more they can do really, without risking subjecting potential decent young players to coaches without the right experience. Football Foundation is the best way to get your foot in the door really, just need to keep an eye out for when they recruit and hope for the best.

the behind closed door friendly thing was something introduced by the PL.  I think most of the clubs are doing the same thing.  The Wigan game was originally meant to be at Whitley Park and open to fans but when it got rearranged it was decided to play at the training ground and behind closed doors.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Hmm, find that odd, but then I don't. Wonder if its because the Premier League can't squeeze money from reserve games, and more and more reserve fixtures are starting to field very bright prospects (rather than the not good enough and too old brigade). Like Man City Reserves are as good as some Premier League teams!

It's because Arsenal and a few others said they were sick of their reserve players playing on shit pitches in the middle of winter etc and wouldn't participate in the league unless they were allowed to play games at their training ground.

Guest MrSundlofer

what happened to Fabio Zamblera is he still at the club ?

Just found out he's still here.. But no idea why he's not playing.

what happened to Fabio Zamblera is he still at the club ?

Just found out he's still here.. But no idea why he's not playing.

I have an inkling. It's because he is shit

Nope, he is back up to Xisco.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Michael Richardson was part of the match day squad today, though didn't appear on the bench. He was the Ginger kid with milk bottle legs.

No the lad from the Nike Tournament is Adam Campbell,  he's yet to have a sniff of the reserves never mind the first team.  Richardson was signed at the start of the season from Walker Central. IIRC.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

No the lad from the Nike Tournament is Adam Campbell,  he's yet to have a sniff of the reserves never mind the first team.  Richardson was signed at the start of the season from Walker Central. IIRC.

Aye. I thought he was just a squad filler, for the youth team, but he's really taken that opportunity and really went with it. Fair play to the lad. Has a great knack of arriving in the box at the right time to score.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8276221/10-English-teenagers-to-watch-for-the-future.html

Adam Campbell

Newcastle United

Position: Striker.

A product of the Wallsend Boys’ Club, he was voted MVP at Nike Premier Cup last summer, an award previously won by Carlos Tévez, Andreas Iniesta and Fernando Torres (he was joint top-scorer too).