U23s & Academy

Skirge

I must admit like I'm looking forward to seeing if some of our bairns do actually get a chance as it'll be refreshing to see some new blood in the team.

They'll be Ashley's legacy though.  :pow:

If every one of our first team players left tomorrow what would our best team be?  So out of the reserve and youth squads what would be our starting lineup?

Guest geordienorway

I must admit like I'm looking forward to seeing if some of our bairns do actually get a chance as it'll be refreshing to see some new blood in the team.

Agreed. This is the good thing about being relegated. During the last couple of years we have had some canny players in the reserves who didn't get the chance in the first-team. Look at James Troisi now, he's got 3 games for Australia and is a regular for Gençlerbirliği in the Turkish league. He has scored a couple of stunners as well. Not saying he is the answer to our midfield-problem, but he is miles ahead of Nolan atm.

Agreed. This is the good thing about being relegated. During the last couple of years we have had some canny players in the reserves who didn't get the chance in the first-team. Look at James Troisi now, he's got 3 games for Australia and is a regular for Gençlerbirliği in the Turkish league. He has scored a couple of stunners as well. Not saying he is the answer to our midfield-problem, but he is miles ahead of Nolan atm.

Aye he is flourishing in turkey. A lot of us round here thought it was a bad move to let him go so easily, he looked like he could have the ability, more than matty pattison (who got far more chances )

Aye he is flourishing in turkey. A lot of us round here thought it was a bad move to let him go so easily, he looked like he could have the ability, more than matty pattison (who got far more chances )

I was wondering what happened with Troisi.

Newcastle whizkid Ferguson catches the eye of German giants after Northern Ireland debut

Hertha Berlin are among a clutch of German clubs watching Newcastle's teenage winger Shane Ferguson.

The 17-year-old came on as a substitute for the Northern Ireland senior side during their 3-0 friendly defeat by Italy on Saturday and was watched by four scouts from the Bundesliga.

Ferguson is in his second year at Newcastle and has been offered a three year contract but has caught the eye of top flight clubs.

Hertha boss Lucien Favre is keen to bolster his squad ahead of the new season.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1191524/Newcastle-whizkid-Ferguson-catches-eye-Hertha-Berlin-Northern-Ireland-debut.html?ITO=1490

http://www.htafc.com/page/ReserveNewsDetail/0,,10312~1692565,00.html

TOTESPORT.COM LEAGUE NORTHERN DIVISION LINEUP DECIDED

Posted on: Mon 15 Jun 2009

Newcastle United and Middlesbrough will join Town in the totesport.com League Northern Division during the upcoming 2009/10 season.

The North East duo were relegated from the Premier League last season, which means their second string sides are ineligible for the Premier Reserve League this season.

As a result, they join Town in the renamed Northern League alongside Town, Bradford City, Grimsby Town, Hartlepool United, Leeds United, Lincoln City, Rotherham United and Scunthorpe United.

You must be loving that Dave, nows your chance to become ULTIMATE RESERVE WATCHER as all of those aren't far from your neck of the woods.

EDIT: Well, some are. I saw Leeds, Bradford and Rotherham and assumed all of them would be. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Shane Ferguson has/is going to sign a new contract according to Sky's website.

Is he any good?

Heard good things about him tbh, and he has an Oirish cap already. Probably best to wait for binnsy to comment on him like.

Shane Ferguson

Northern Irish left back who like Tavernier has improved as the season went on,  made his first couple of reserve appearance as a winger but then around xmas was converted to a left back, his end of season form as seen him called up to both the Northern Ireland B squad and currently in the Under 21 squad.  Small, nimble player, again one to watch but think he's still a bit off the first team and would expect another season in the reserves rather than seeing him feature in the first team.

There you go :)

Guest geordienorway

Shane Ferguson has/is going to sign a new contract according to Sky's website.

Is he any good?

Heard good things about him tbh, and he has an Oirish cap already. Probably best to wait for binnsy to comment on him like.

;D

Guest Stephen927

Wonder who gave him the contract?

Richard Money presumably? I don't know for definite though.

Probably will be. It certainly won't be a lucrative contract, so the club can afford to tie him up if he looks like a good prospect, even if any potential manager didn't think so, I'd imagine it would be quite cheap to release him from his deal. It's only when you get to senior level and the money is higher that things stall in the situation we're in.

• 2 weeks later...

Random Question:

Has Zamblera played any games for Sampdoria and have they expressed an interest in  him at all?

I saw his name on .com and admitted that I totally forgot about him and his hopelessness