U23s & Academy

Skirge

Newcastle United reserves open at Middlesbrough

Jul 14 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/07/14/newcastle-united-reserves-open-at-middlesbrough-72703-24150245/

Jesus, as a regular reserve team watcher that is a thoroughly depressing fixture list,  there's only 2 decent games,  Boro and Leeds.  i can't see Lincoln reserves on a freezing night at Whitley park very appealing!!  I think whoever comes in as manager might be looking at arranging some behind closed doors friendlies against bettter opposition.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Aye, not looking very healthy to keep standard up. At least the youth team are still in their old division, wonder if that'll do us any good.

Ameobi Fires Winner In Five-Goal Thriller

ASHINGTON 2

NEWCASTLE UNITED RES 3

Friendly

TEENAGE striker Sammy Ameobi was the match-winner as Newcastle United Reserves kicked off their pre-season schedule with a 3-2 win at Ashington's Woodhorn Lane.

The hosts had twice battled back to restore parity before Ameobi, playing his first game since December, rifled home from 25 yards on 69 minutes to claim victory for the yellow-stripped Magpies.

United, with Geordie coach Alan Thompson in charge, had taken just three minutes to find the breakthrough when Wesley Ngo Baheng capitalised upon hesitancy in the Colliers backline.

Callum Morris pumped long downfield and, when Fabio Zamblera flicked on, Baheng took advantage of a mix up between two defenders to race in on goal and slot low past the on-rushing keeper.

Home strike pairing Keith Douglas and Lee Hamilton then combined with the latter only denied a goal by the bravery of Fraser Forster as he dived to smother at the frontman's feet inside the six-yard area.

Ashington lad James Taylor was playing in his backyard and the United defender almost celebrated with a goal when his measured 20-yard curler clipped the top of the crossbar on 26 minutes.

The Northern League side drew level however on the half-hour mark, Forster losing his hold when coming to claim a right-wing corner allowing Douglas to arrow home through bodies from 10 yards.

The visitors edged their noses back in front on the stroke of half-time, Baheng turning provider with a low cross for Zamblera to side-foot into an empty net from point-blank range.

Ashington emerged in search of a leveller and it came 10 minutes after the break when former Magpie youngster Liam Atkin, feeding on the scraps from a lofted free-kick into the danger zone, guided a low 12-yard shot past Ole Soderberg.

Both sides pressed for a winner but it was the Geordies who took the honours when substitute Ameobi shot left-footed into the bottom corner after good work from Swedish wideman Samuel Adjei.

NUFC: Fraser Forster (Ole Soderberg, 46m), James Taylor (James Tavernier, 62m) Callum Morris, Ben Tozer, Darren Lough, Jonny Godsmark (Phil Airey, 46m) (Samuel Adjei, 53m), Frank Danquah, Patrick McLaughlin (Brad Inman, 62m), Ryan Donaldson, Wesley Ngo Baheng, Fabio Zamblera (Sammy Ameobi, 46m)

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1723748,00.html

Notice Krul didn't get a run out. Suggests he is the No 2 in Chrissy Boy's eyes?

If Shearer is still callnig the shots, Krul is clearly the number 2 in his eyes. Once Shearer was appointed the whole Forster/Krul bench swap thing ended anyway.

he was meant to be released, must have had a change of heart,  i still don't think he'll make it though.

Krul played against Shamrock Rovers so gave the other 2 a game last night,  he will be number 2 as well.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

he was meant to be released, must have had a change of heart,  i still don't think he'll make it though.

Yeah he was informed he could start looking for another club, but he's still under got a year or so left of his pro deal with the Toon, so I guess they'll use him if it suits them. He's too small for the big leagues though and not much more to his game then being able to run really fast.

Yeah he was informed he could start looking for another club, but he's still under got a year or so left of his pro deal with the Toon, so I guess they'll use him if it suits them. He's too small for the big leagues though and not much more to his game then being able to run really fast.

Alan O'Brien MKII by the sound of things.

O'Brien was a much better player.

IF he had some form of crossing ability he would have been a top premiership player imo.  Could beat people for fun then went to cross and and it would never stay in play.

IF he had some form of crossing ability he would have been a top premiership player imo.  Could beat people for fun then went to cross and and it would never stay in play.

nah.. he wasn't that good at dribbling. Just kicked the ball and ran after it.. I haven't seen much of him of course, but I remember plenty of occasions when he'd run head down straight out of play..

Notice Krul didn't get a run out. Suggests he is the No 2 in Chrissy Boy's eyes?

Krul was there watching with his missus. Was signing some autographs for kids, left just before full time.

Oh and it looked like some Ginger guy was trying to chat up his bird.  :facepalm:

Krul was there watching with his missus. Was signing some autographs for kids, left just before full time.

Oh and it looked like some Ginger guy was trying to chat up his bird.  :facepalm:

Nicky Butt honestly tries to ruin everything, the tosser.

Nicky Butt honestly tries to ruin everything, the tosser.

:lol:

Now we all know why Greg takes such an avid interest in the reserves.

nah.. he wasn't that good at dribbling. Just kicked the ball and ran after it.. I haven't seen much of him of course, but I remember plenty of occasions when he'd run head down straight out of play..

I never said he had dribbling ability and like you said he just knocked it and ran past them.  It worked well though apart from his crossing.