Let's define "footballing brain" (apologies to Nixon & HTT)

bulivye

http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetmQXk/playerpages/additionalplayerphotos/sheringhamcelebrates.jpg

First thing that comes to mind.  I think players who can keep playing til an age like Teddy are almost invariably great examples.

Yes Sheringham's lack of pace was more than made up with nous...good shout that.

Just thought of an interesting question. Who's the best player to have absolutely no footballing brain whatsoever?

the original ronaldo?

it's an easy one to suggest because he was more a phenomenal indiviual than a great team player. However, post 2000 he developed a footballing brain to compensate for his slightly reduced level of pace. In his last 2 1/2 seasons at Madrid most will point to a lot of his goals as demonstrating fantastic awareness in the final third

Just thought of an interesting question. Who's the best player to have absolutely no footballing brain whatsoever?

Possibly George Best. He didn't really need one though, because he could do everything himself.

Of current players, Ashley Young would be a good candidate.

Guest diddimz

Bergkamp goal vs Newcastle defines football brain in itself

I won't deny that he had a great footballing brain; but that goal was almost entirely based on luck.

Some players just make their own luck though. I could never put that goal down to luck, it was amazing.

Bergkamp goal vs Newcastle defines football brain in itself

I won't deny that he had a great footballing brain; but that goal was almost entirely based on luck.

Some players just make their own luck though. I could never put that goal down to luck, it was amazing.

To be fair, i actually Youtubed it after i'd posted that, hadn't seen it in a while. He still anticipated where the ball was going to go, and he finished it brilliantly; so i guess you could put that down to footballing brain. I'm willing to retract that statement, but i wouldn't say it was the most ideal example. :razz: His one vs Argentina is probably a better example.

the original ronaldo?

it's an easy one to suggest because he was more a phenomenal indiviual than a great team player. However, post 2000 he developed a footballing brain to compensate for his slightly reduced level of pace. In his last 2 1/2 seasons at Madrid most will point to a lot of his goals as demonstrating fantastic awareness in the final third

Surely he always had an amazing level of awareness? Football brain isn't just picking a pass is it, it's also the ability to control the ball precisely and at speed, and know how to get around a man. Ronaldo had that in bucketloads.

Guest Sniffer

Thing is, there are different types of intelligence - who's to say that the spacial awareness, coordination and speed of thought needed to be a top footballer (i.e. Beckham) isn't as amazing as the ability to be a top writer?

I'd swap my degrees for Beckham's ability anytime, even if he isn't the brightest bulb on the tree academically, so I tend to agree with you.

Guest battyleespeed

Able to make the right decision as quickly as possible in a given situation. Has the vision and awareness to pick up the movement and position of players. Instinctively knows to time his movement and passes correctly. Understands how to create space with off-the-ball movement. 

Riquelme is a perfect example of a player with a footballing brain. I remember in the world cup,, I think it was against the Ivory Coast where he picked a pass that cut out a good four or five players and left Messi with little more than a tap in, brilliant.