Rio Ferdinand

Thespence

Guest Heneage

People on the internet are more educated about football than former players and Analyzers?  :lol:

Whatever you're smoking, can I have some? It must be very good.

Come on, which former players and pundits are actually worth the money they earn.

People on the internet are more educated about football than former players and Analyzers:lol:

Whatever you're smoking, can I have some? It must be very good.

Honestly what the fuck are you on about?

I am always sticking up for this forum when on other forums and they talk about the "mongs" on Newcastle-Online but it isn't easy sometimes.

What's a mong? Serious.

C'mon, guys, they're former professionals who know the game inside and out. If one of us were in the booth, we'd be speechless. You think you know more than Alan Hansen or Andy Gray when their job is to watch and write about football all day? Just because you're on a forum, it doesn't make you some sort of expert. If you haven't noticed more than half of you share the exact same opinion on almost everything. Everyone's a cunt and Xisco should start every game. Be real.

I remember Rio Ferdinand having a blinder against us for West Ham when we used to be a good team and he absolutely blotted Alan Shearer out of the game. I always thought he would go on to great things and he has.

A lot of his underrated-ness comes from the position he plays.  It's kind of like reffing in the sense that the best ones you don't notice.  Being a CB isn't about being flashy so they don't really get all of the plaudits that a winger or striker normally get.  The fact that he's underrated is a good thing because it means he's not making mistakes and being noticed outright for doing the wrong thing too often.  That being said, I don't like the cut of his jib but I can't deny he's a world class CB.

What's a mong? Serious.

C'mon, guys, they're former professionals who know the game inside and out. If one of us were in the booth, we'd be speechless. You think you know more than Alan Hansen or Andy Gray when their job is to watch and write about football all day? Just because you're on a forum, it doesn't make you some sort of expert. If you haven't noticed more than half of you share the exact same opinion on almost everything. Everyone's a cunt and Xisco should start every game. Be real.

When have I spoke about former professionals?

Guest Howaythetoon

He is the best all-round defender in world football, without a doubt. A footballer as well as a defender, and there are not many of those about. Can do it all. He was a fine talent at West Ham and developed into a top player at Leeds. At Man Utd he has went onto become a truly world-class player, one who would get into any side in the world, whether domestic or international. Vidic is a top-class centre-back but not genuine world-class. I suspect if you remove Vidic from Man Utd's backline and partner him with someone who isn't at all good he would suffer badly, Ferdinand however has shown himself able to play to a high standard for England at the highest level and Man Utd alongside a number of not as good players, and for Leeds and West Ham too, hardly world-class teams. One of a few elite players we have.

He is the best all-round defender in world football, without a doubt. A footballer as well as a defender, and there are not many of those about. Can do it all. He was a fine talent at West Ham and developed into a top player at Leeds. At Man Utd he has went onto become a truly world-class player, one who would get into any side in the world, whether domestic or international. Vidic is a top-class centre-back but not genuine world-class. I suspect if you remove Vidic from Man Utd's backline and partner him with someone who isn't at all good he would suffer badly, Ferdinand however has shown himself able to play to a high standard for England at the highest level and Man Utd alongside a number of not as good players, and for Leeds and West Ham too, hardly world-class teams. One of a few elite players we have.

26-12-2008 English Premier Stoke 0-1 Man Utd

29-12-2008 English Premier Man Utd 1-0 Middlesbro

04-01-2009 English FA Cup Southampton 0-3 Man Utd

07-01-2009 English League Cup Derby 1-0 Man Utd

11-01-2009 English Premier Man Utd 3-0 Chelsea

14-01-2009 English Premier Man Utd 1-0 Wigan

17-01-2009 English Premier Bolton 0-1 Man Utd

24-01-2009 English FA Cup Man Utd 2-1 Tottenham

No offense, but I suspect you suspect wrong.

You said "Vidic" when you meant "Ferdinand" by the way.

HTT is spot on here to be honest, those results mean very little

HTT is spot on here to be honest, those results mean very little

Eight clean sheets while partnered alternately by Jonny Evans and John O'Shea means "very little?"

What part of his post did you find spot on? I'd rather base my claims on reality rather than some theory I made up in my head that sounds good.

Guest quklaani

Jonny Evans is a bit better than "not at all good."  Ferdinand on the other hand has in the past played brilliantly alongside Silvestre or O'shea.  Oh and John Terry the international, who is a complete mong.  I'll never understand why he's so incapable of making the step up.  Shockingly I agree with everything HTT said, although I think we may have seen the best of Rio, he's getting injured more and more and his back seems to be giving up.

Jonny Evans is a bit better than "not at all good."  Ferdinand on the other hand has in the past played brilliantly alongside Silvestre or O'shea.  Oh and John Terry the international, who is a complete mong.  I'll never understand why he's so incapable of making the step up.  Shockingly I agree with everything HTT said, although I think we may have seen the best of Rio, he's getting injured more and more and his back seems to be giving up.

I suppose you'd know better than I do, but personally I'd be shocked if the best defender in the world right now was anyone other than Vidic.

Guest quklaani

Well yeah, but Rio's barely been fit for months.  I love Vidic of course, and this season he's been unreal, but he still worries me in ways Rio never does.  Someone pointed out around here the other day that Martins was giving him a bit of a torrid time, and that he's no way near as dominant on the ground as he is in the air.  While I wuldn't go quite that far it's fair to say he can get done by pacey players, especially when Rio's not around to bail him out.  They compliment each other wonderfully, but if pushed into saying who'd we miss more I'd say it's comfortably Rio.  Especially against Liverpool, I'm not that worried about him not being available for Inter, but we need him against the scousers, he's been our man of the match in five of our last six games against them.  I reckon it's that more than anything which has turned him around in the eyes of Man Utd fans.

Guest Howaythetoon

I suppose you'd know better than I do, but personally I'd be shocked if the best defender in the world right now was anyone other than Vidic.

I would not deny that Vidic is the best at the moment... but only on performance. He's a top-class centre-back without a doubt performing to a world-class level on a consistent basis in the same way that Damien Duff (never a world-class player) once performed for Chelsea. Vidic doesn't have the footballing skills and technique that Rio undoubtedly possesses so pound for pound, Rio is the better all-rounder and I'd say that goes for him ahead of any other player playing in his position in world football. At the moment anyway.

If you take Vidic away from Man Utd and partner him with say Steven Taylor in our back-line, his defensive qualities will still stand up, but everything else he lacks will be seriously exposed. Drop Rio in though and not one single aspect of his game will be shown up as average, i.e. exposed. He can play football better than half our players while in terms of defending he's exceptionally adept, although not in an in your face style which Vidic displays and Terry who Vidic is on a similar level to in my opinion. It is this style that makes people believe they are better than they actually are which says more about the Premier League than those as individuals.

Terry at international levels looks slow, cumbersome, technically average and at times out of his depth or rather comfort range. He's at his most comfortable in last minute defending situations or placing in a brave header, tackle or blocking. He's a great defender Terry, but an extremely average footballer. Rio is a great defender and a very very good footballer hence why he's world-class and Terry nor Vidic are.

Rio is a great defender and a very very good footballer hence why he's world-class and Terry nor Vidic are.

So there's only one world class defender in the world? If not, I'd love to know who these centre backs better than Vidic are.

After seeing him in action on Wednesday i can definitely say Vidic is not the best CB in the world by any stretch, he's as overrated as any other player in the league. Martins gave him a right run around on Wednesday and all Vidic could do was hack him to pieces, after that display i must say i was sorely disappointed due to the amount of hype he was getting. If anything i'd say he was the weak link in their defence when the ball's on the deck, in the air he's a beast though.