Rio Ferdinand

Thespence

Guest Stephen927

Quality, it's as though him and Vidic were made for each other. One does all the battling but isn't so good on the ball, and the other does the sweeping up and is still very good at the battling side of the game.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Immense player, but can be a whinging b****** when things start to go against him.

Fits in with the rest of Manure then, a team noted throughout history as a team of whingeing bastards.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Best in the world, aye.  Also very calm on the ball and can bring it out of defence brilliantly.

Criminal that Terry was named England captain ahead of him.

Yeah really tragic, that one.

Difficult to know who is the biggest whinger between those two.

Guest Heneage

he's never shone yet you call him "one of the top 5 in the world easily"

hmmm

I said for England.

For Man United he has been good. Can you name me 5 better centre backs right now? Cannavaro is too old, Nesta the same.

my original point was that he's the best defender in the world. You're making my case for me here

I still believe there are better. I said yes he's one of the top 5 but not the best.

who's better?

Vidic, Puyol, Chilleni to name three.

Ferdinand is a very assured defender, who is also comfortable on the ball. However he is prone to the odd mistake but rarely gets punished due to the quality around him. For instance he sometimes gets carried away and takes the ball too far upfield, he gets caught but the quality of the remaining defenders and awareness of the midfield means there are men around to cover the gap.

As Nixon pointed out above I'd choose both Vidic and Puyol in a side before Ferdinand.

Guest toonlass

Great defender. Shame that his mouth doesn't seem to move on one side, so he can only talk moving one side of his top lip. Irritates the fuck out of me everytime I see him talking on the telly.

he's never shone yet you call him "one of the top 5 in the world easily"

hmmm

I said for England.

For Man United he has been good. Can you name me 5 better centre backs right now? Cannavaro is too old, Nesta the same.

my original point was that he's the best defender in the world. You're making my case for me here

I still believe there are better. I said yes he's one of the top 5 but not the best.

who's better?

Vidic, Puyol, Chilleni to name three.

Or Chiellini

Guest quklaani

Rio's been the best since Nesta sort of...I dunno, he's not even that old he just seems to have gone downhill.  Anyone who watches a lot of Italian football care to explain?  He's the best defender we've had in my lifetime, which I think is a pretty massive achievement considering certain Irish and Dutch players.  And yes, he's the best in the world, but there's not all that much competition at the moment.  There seems to have been an a whole group of world class CBs who've turned a bit shit in the last couple of years, and all these great young ones haven't quite established themselves yet.  Bit of a weird time really.  Rio's great though, and I don't think he's nearly as much of a cunt as people make out.  Thick as pigshit mind, but he's grown up a lot.