Newcastle United 1 - 3 Arsenal - 21/03/09 - Post match reaction from page 16

Nate

Guest BooBoo

Martins penalty was woeful. I had zero confidence that he would score it. Harper was at fault for the third goal and is generally not good enough, losing count now of how many goals he could have done better on. Ryan Taylor was floundering out of his depth although at least was noticeable unlike the anonymous Nolan. All in all a bad day when Butt is one of the top performers.

though I think Colo does well following Bassongs departure he was found out, either Bassong covers for him or the the likes of both Taylors are both crap and he cannot play with them.I appreciate that S Taylor  played well and saved our bacon normally he drops ricks right left and centre. Martins only here for the beer money got no passion should of banged it in great goal from him but they are few and far between, spent more time in the middle than where a N09 should be,as for Lovers don't matter if he misses some ,point is he is there when it counts unlike some of the others. Owen least said overall first half either we were great or Arsenal took foot off peddle second half  diabolical, believe we are already down and will be confirmed more or less following Chelsea game if results continue with other clubs as they did yesterday.

Really annoyed by shit like this: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7937084.stm

Newcastle left Michael Owen on the bench but could have done with the England striker midway through the first half when they were awarded a penalty.

Martins took it, but his weak strike was easily saved by Almunia low to his left.

The Newcastle striker missed further chances, with Peter Lovenkrands also guilty of wastefulness in front of goal.

It assumes the same opportunities would have been created with different players on the pitch which is bollocks. Owen's record with penalties isn't great either.

Barton, Boumsoung & now Colo just showing each time we break our transfer record for a defender the next in line is f***ing remarkable & amazingly a poorer player than the last record  holder.

Colo has been living off his reputation for a while now. If his name was Frank Coulson instead of Fabrizio Coloccini he would have been slaughtered by now.

Guest toonlass

Nice to hear chants for Bobby Robson yesterday. I looked across and some of the Gooners were singing along too. Nice touch. We had a good hour and then fell to bits again. Taylor had a cracking game, Ryan Taylor didn't, either Nolan or Lovenkrands should have taken the penalty. I didn't even watch Oba take it, stood looking the other way cos I knew he wouldn't score. Owen is I don't know, not interested, semi-injured, useless? I haven't a clue. Enrique was good, Bassong was good but looked to be carrying an injury, Duff worked hard in the first half and forgot to play in the second. Our two upfront have to be Oba and Lovenkrands.

Barton, Boumsoung & now Colo just showing each time we break our transfer record for a defender the next in line is f***ing remarkable & amazingly a poorer player than the last record  holder.

Colo has been living off his reputation for a while now. If his name was Frank Coulson instead of Fabrizio Coloccini he would have been slaughtered by now.

Similarly, I bet if we'd brought in a young centre-back from abroad called Stefano Tailaino, he'd have lasted five minutes and be playing Second Division football in Italy or whereever.

Guest neesy111

we've spend 2x more on our defence than midfield in the last 5 seasons, that's why our midfield is so bad

time to just spend money on attacking players as this club hardly buy's decent defenders

Guest nufc1892

we've spend 2x more on our defence than midfield in the last 5 seasons, that's why our midfield is so bad

time to just spend money on attacking players as this club hardly buy's decent defenders

we'll do that...

...in the Championship

Have to say, it was a very good effort by the lads.

I really hope that penalty won't be important, probably will. Why the right foot?

Anyway, again Enrique was great, a little slip up with the missed clearance. Steven Taylor played a blinder, the passion he played with might be a major factor in our survival.

Agreed with the person who says Martins and Lovenkrands should be our strikers is right, but we need to keep the ball on the floor. Stick Gutierrez and Duff on the wings to provide.

On a rare plus: Arsene Wenger loves the Toon. Nice comments about us in the press and caught him looking around SJP in wonder prior to the kick-off. Head in the clouds time, but I'd love that man managing our club... even if he doesn't "see" half of what goes on in every game he watches. It might happen someday...

His attitude towards us shows that we still have standing, impact in the national game. That, more than anything, is why it is imperative that we don't go down and become another Leeds or Nottingham Forest.

As we stand, the potential is still there at the forefront, ready to be unlocked. Relegation all but extinguishes that. It's basically all we have left as a club (along with the support, which will also go if we go) as well because the money is gone, the owner is crap, the management "team" is an aberration and the players are perennial let-downs.

Terrifying situation at the moment and absolutely gut-wrenching to lose that game after the quickfire equaliser from Martins.

Positives on the playing side come from Harper (in regards to shot-stopping, not much else), S. Taylor (in regards to attitude and leading by example with his blocks, but not in regards to assaulting Arshavin), Enrique (who still put in a decent performance when all around him lost their heads), Duff (who still lacks pace but looked pretty good considering he hasn't played for weeks), Lovenkrands (who I've called "average" but again who has the pace and invention at times to trouble the best defenders), Butt (who wasn't too bad at all, generally, and who seemed to be trying to drive us forwards in the first half particularly) and Martins (who was still frustrating, especially with the penalty, but who still represents our best chance of survival).

The less said about the performance of Coloccini the better... and the lack of Jonas... and Ameobi getting on the pitch AGAIN... and Hughton's general dallying when S. Taylor was off the pitch... and how a professional football team can totally implode with the loss of two players in their early twenties. Bah.

The club owner Mike Ashley was confronted by an angry figure, one who is well known to Newcastle players past and present. He was removed from the premises.

Anyone know what the craic was here? Just scanned the thread and couldn't find anything.

Guest Heneage

Nice to hear chants for Bobby Robson yesterday. I looked across and some of the Gooners were singing along too. Nice touch. We had a good hour and then fell to bits again. Taylor had a cracking game, Ryan Taylor didn't, either Nolan or Lovenkrands should have taken the penalty. I didn't even watch Oba take it, stood looking the other way cos I knew he wouldn't score. Owen is I don't know, not interested, semi-injured, useless? I haven't a clue. Enrique was good, Bassong was good but looked to be carrying an injury, Duff worked hard in the first half and forgot to play in the second. Our two upfront have to be Oba and Lovenkrands.

We went to pot after losing our 2 best defenders really. It spoiled the game.

The club owner Mike Ashley was confronted by an angry figure, one who is well known to Newcastle players past and present. He was removed from the premises.

Anyone know what the craic was here? Just scanned the thread and couldn't find anything.

Peter Beardsley doing a u-turn? Sounds interesting, anyway - I hadn't seen that.

Guest Howaythetoon

On a rare plus: Arsene Wenger loves the Toon. Nice comments about us in the press and caught him looking around SJP in wonder prior to the kick-off. Head in the clouds time, but I'd love that man managing our club... even if he doesn't "see" half of what goes on in every game he watches. It might happen someday...

His attitude towards us shows that we still have standing, impact in the national game. That, more than anything, is why it is imperative that we don't go down and become another Leeds or Nottingham Forest.

As we stand, the potential is still there at the forefront, ready to be unlocked. Relegation all but extinguishes that. It's basically all we have left as a club (along with the support, which will also go if we go) as well because the money is gone, the owner is crap, the management "team" is an aberration and the players are perennial let-downs.

Terrifying situation at the moment and absolutely gut-wrenching to lose that game after the quickfire equaliser from Martins.

Positives on the playing side come from Harper (in regards to shot-stopping, not much else), S. Taylor (in regards to attitude and leading by example with his blocks, but not in regards to assaulting Arshavin), Enrique (who still put in a decent performance when all around him lost their heads), Duff (who still lacks pace but looked pretty good considering he hasn't played for weeks), Lovenkrands (who I've called "average" but again who has the pace and invention at times to trouble the best defenders), Butt (who wasn't too bad at all, generally, and who seemed to be trying to drive us forwards in the first half particularly) and Martins (who was still frustrating, especially with the penalty, but who still represents our best chance of survival).

The less said about the performance of Coloccini the better... and the lack of Jonas... and Ameobi getting on the pitch AGAIN... and Hughton's general dallying when S. Taylor was off the pitch... and how a professional football team can totally implode with the loss of two players in their early twenties. Bah.

What did he say Rich?

Guest Heneage

I think after all the booing and trouble with Arsenal fans recently, Wenger would love to have fans like ours, he'd be a God just for winning the Carling Cup.

Well voted MOTM by a mile..

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1602159,00.html

Tayls Takes Successive Star Player Prizes

By Craig Hope

STEVEN Taylor collected his second successive nufc.co.uk man-of-the-match award following his courageous efforts during Saturday's 3-1 home defeat against Arsenal.

Twice in the opening half with the game goalless the Geordie defender launched his body into the path of goal-bound strikes inside the six-yard area to deny the Gunners.

And it says something of Taylor's contribution that he was still the Toon Army's pick as United's star performer despite succumbing to an ankle injury on 65 minutes.

Here's how the voting went following the Gallowgate clash;

1st S Taylor 50% 2nd Martins 13% 3rd Harper 12% 4th Lovenkrands 5% 5th Owen 4%

And here's how the Merit Marks table looks after 34 games;

Following each game of the 2008/09 season we'll be asking our readers to vote for their star player via the Quick Vote which is found to the right-hand side of all stories which appear on our official website.

After a few days we'll tally up the votes with the top performer being awarded five points, second-placed player four points and so on until we reach the fifth most popular choice who wins one point.

Well voted MOTM by a mile..

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1602159,00.html

Tayls Takes Successive Star Player Prizes

By Craig Hope

STEVEN Taylor collected his second successive nufc.co.uk man-of-the-match award following his courageous efforts during Saturday's 3-1 home defeat against Arsenal.

Twice in the opening half with the game goalless the Geordie defender launched his body into the path of goal-bound strikes inside the six-yard area to deny the Gunners.

And it says something of Taylor's contribution that he was still the Toon Army's pick as United's star performer despite succumbing to an ankle injury on 65 minutes.

Here's how the voting went following the Gallowgate clash;

1st S Taylor 50% 2nd Martins 13% 3rd Harper 12% 4th Lovenkrands 5% 5th Owen 4%

And here's how the Merit Marks table looks after 34 games;

Following each game of the 2008/09 season we'll be asking our readers to vote for their star player via the Quick Vote which is found to the right-hand side of all stories which appear on our official website.

After a few days we'll tally up the votes with the top performer being awarded five points, second-placed player four points and so on until we reach the fifth most popular choice who wins one point.

:mackems: