Newcastle United 1 - 3 Arsenal - 21/03/09 - Post match reaction from page 16

Nate

Martins and Lovenkrands have to be our upfront pairing for the rest of the season. For all their flaws, they're still the best we can muster.

Harper

Beye-Bassong-Taylor-Enrique

Duff-Nolan-Barton-Jonas

Martins-Loven

is the team that just might pull off a miracle. Just pray that Bassong and Taylor will be fit for Spurs.

I'd not include Duff, he simply vanished in the second half today, think he got about 6 touches.

Nolan was a nuisance at corners but he doesn't look like he's going to make much of an impact.

I recon if he was playing in the Hull game we would have won it though.

If Nolan hadn't gone mad on Anichebe's leg I firmly believe that we would be at least 3 points richer by now.

God those 3 points would be good right around now

Guest justin99.

Did you see Ashley smiling there?

oh get a grip. it was a polite smile to whoever he was shaking hands with. he looked absolutely gutted once the smile faded

I saw him laughing and joking on and then the camera cut away. Im not suggesting that the result was what he was laughing and joking about because thats preposterous, but laughing and joking isn't something that would be any part of my make up directly after us losing. Thats as a fan, never mind as owner.  Just my take on it

you have no idea what he was saying.

your making a big deal out of nothing.

Neither do you! Does it matter? He was laughing and smiling after we'd just been beaten, thats weird at the least, and disrespectful at the most.

I'll say it again.

your making a big deal out of nothing. Just forget about it

I dont see it as nothing. You do. Debate over.

:no:

Nolan was a nuisance at corners but he doesn't look like he's going to make much of an impact.

I recon if he was playing in the Hull game we would have won it though.

If Nolan hadn't gone mad on Anichebe's leg I firmly believe that we would be at least 3 points richer by now.

God those 3 points would be good right around now

2 points richer

Guest LucaAltieri

We didn't really expect to get anything out of this game.

90% of us on here would have made the same prediction before hand: "valiant effort, a few good chances, but ultimately thrown away. 0 points."

It was a game we were unlikely to get anything from. Most sensible people had written it off.

Even so, we were fighting today. Maybe it's because we were in the relegation zone at kick off. Maybe it was because we were playing Arsenal. Who knows?

0-0 first half. We were unfortunate not to be winning.

0-1 came out of nothing.

1-1 was as much as we deserved.

1-2 while we were down to 10-men.

1-3 the game was as good as lost.

The circumstances around it don't actually change the result. With 8 games left we're still in the shit but this was not the game that cost us. If we go down Arsenal at home won't be the reason. Moreover, the season still has 8 games left with enough teams still within touching distance.

For what it's worth I still think we will stay up. We have shown we have enough quality, we just need to demonstrate it in winnable games.

If I'm wrong and we do happen to go down then I blame the lack of leadership at the club. We've got players in and out of the team, we don't have a settled lineup, we don't have a particular style of play.... one week we're hoofing it long to Carroll and Shola, the next we're trying to pass and move and feed it to Owen, the next we're trying to use Jonas and Martins to hit teams on the break... there's just no consistency and no stability.

We have the players... certainly good enough for mid-table. If we go down there will be two factors first and foremost that have contributed to it:

1) Losing Keegan.

2) Failing to replace him with the right man.

Simple as that.

Selling Given, lack of investment in the squad, etc ... it's all peripheral. The players we have should be good enough for the task at hand. They're just playing without any real direction and going through the motions.

Such a frustrating game but sums us up perfectly, no fucking backbone. Up until they went ahead we were the better side, we were getting in amongst them creating chances, as soon as we went behind we gave up as usual. How different it could have been if Martins had stuck that penalty away.

Some other points:

Harper: His reflexes aren't good enough, he's so slow to react. The third goal was his fault in my book.

Coloccini: Where did it all go wrong? He's so slow to react to any kind of situation, he had a decent first half but as soon as we were under the cosh he looked like a nervous wreck, where was he for the second?

R. Taylor: Doesn't do enough in open play for me.

Duff: Decent first half but faded second, where the fuck was Jonas?

Martins: Such a double edged sword. We need him badly but he's just so damn erratic. It's just pissy arse annoying to see players with his ability miss the most simple of chances. He looked like he bottled the penalty, it looked evident from his body language that he didn't fancy it.

I just wish f***ing Kinnear wouldn't have had his heart scare, if he'd still been in charge we'd have someone to sack.

I wish Ashley never took over, I wish he never brought Keegan back.  :kinnear:

I just wish f***ing Kinnear wouldn't have had his heart scare, if he'd still been in charge we'd have someone to sack.

I wish Ashley never took over, I wish he never brought Keegan back.  :kinnear:

Honestly?

For the first time in my life today, I wished that I'd never heard of NUFC.

I actually thought Duff would make me eat my words today, but in the second half he disappeared up his own arse true to form.

Ryan Taylor looked like he should be playing for Gateshead, not Newcastle.

Just back from the game and a few points:

We seemed to play in spells and then die off only for Arsenal to hit us on the counter. Two blocks from Harper and Taylor prevented us going in 0-1 down at half time. The penalty from Oba Martins was shocking, it was as if you could tell from him shaping up exactly what he was going to do. Unfortunately Bassong has picked up an injury (looked like he was holding his groin) today and I hope he isn't out for too long. Beye came in and straight away we created a chance with Martins striking the ball just past the upright. Lovenkrands chance after a ball in from Duff as well, I thought it was going to be a goal, but somehow Almunia blocked it. 0-0 at halftime I was happy, but Arsenal looked very dangerous on the break.

Second half and we just went to shit. Ryan Taylor had no need to foul Clichy twice, although the referee played advantage for a long time until they lost the ball. The goal was just poor marking and an easy finish. Calderwood and Hughton's biggest showing of inept decision making was not taking Taylor off straight away for a substitute. He was clearly struggling, even walking off the field! 10v11 against Arsenal you could see them over running midfield and it was no surprise to see them score after a poor Duff touch. The third looked like poor keeping from Harper who was beaten at his near post, although how easy was it for them to pass it through our team? Harpers distrubution was poor, it like he can only kick it long and when the crowd urged him to give it to a full back we looked more promising going forward. Owen and Ameobi (I didn't agree with the booing) did nothing when they came on, bar a weak shot that Almunia saved easily. For the last 15 minutes Arsenal controlled the game, taking the piss as we couldn't get near them.

Must win games will be Stoke (a), Boro (h) and Pompey (h) as we won't get anything against Chelsea.

Right then......  :clap: :clap: :clap: For the 1st half display, the scoreline does not tell the whole story, flatters Arsenal some what! YES Oba's pen was a disgrace utterly shocking BUT a propper manager would name a pen taker for every game it should have been Nolan, jst another managenerial fk up. Bassong going off was very bad for us but not a disaster, the Taylor injury is where we seen the biggest blow he was having a superb game BUT another medical/managenerial fk up seen us down to 10men for way to long, seem to remember SBR having the same kind of fk up once when Speed was down injured.

Ryan Taylor HOLY SHIT, shocking shocking over hit corners and free kicks and foul after foul after foul how he was not sent off or even booked is a miracle.. BUT the biggest fucking fuck up of our complete idiotic managenerial cunts was to yet again put on Shola bastard Ameobi and not Jonas, Shola should not even be on the bench!

We have the players to stay up but not the cunts incharge to make the correct decisions. WE NEED A MANAGER!

Has the team come out of the dressingroom yet? Anyone seen/heard any post-match interviews?

Who gives a fuck what Hughton has to say, the man is a fucking blind puppet for Mike Ashley

Has the team come out of the dressingroom yet? Anyone seen/heard any post-match interviews?

Perhaps they're all at each other's throats?

Would be some good entertainment, an old-fashioned dressing room brawl. If we're going down, might as well do so in style.