Hillsborough disaster

Big Geordie

Guest toonlass

Holy f***, man. Those pictures are horrible.

Who was standing there taking the pictures?

The photographers. If you ever watch a Hillsborough documentary and they show you what was happening you will see that the photographers were snapping away as people died. Some of the newspapers had the most horrific pictures in the week following the disaster.

Holy f***, man. Those pictures are horrible.

Who was standing there taking the pictures?

The photographers. If you ever watch a Hillsborough documentary and they show you what was happening you will see that the photographers were snapping away as people died. Some of the newspapers had the most horrific pictures in the week following the disaster.

Could they not have helped? Were the fences openable (is that a word) from the pitchside of the fence?

"Were the fences openable (is that a word) from the pitchside of the fence"

yes but not easyily  I believe

if sommat goes wrong when there's a big crowd around 100 people will die - it happened at Ibrox, it happens every damn year on the Haj

Guest malandro

While it's obvious that the police majorly screwed up I think they have been villified excessivley about this whilst the majority of Liverpool fans, and others, are happy to ignore the role that others played in it. If, as has been said here, the problems at Hillsborough were obvious then they should have been dealt with by the ground staff and board of Sheffield Wednesday FC. Also it is shameful that you never hear any condemnation from Liverpool FC of their own fans who went to the game without a ticket. It's ridiculous to think that you can go to a match without a ticket and try to get in. Anybody with half a brain cell can surely see that X into Y doesn't go. Especially when there's a big f***ing metal fence stopping people getting out the other end. And don't forget why the fences were there in the first place, it's because of the abject behaviour of English football fans (obviously not all of them, but enough to make the authorities put up fences) throughout the 70's and 80's. If they had behaved like decent people instead of animals they wouldn't have found themselves caged up like animals.

So yes, obviously entrance the ground was shambolically and disasterously policed and stewarded, but there are far more factors in it than just the pigs are c***s and it's their fault the 96 died. There is no way there will be any more justice for them than they have already got.

It's a shameful part of English football history but that's what it is. History. Bad s*** happens then you move on. Things are better now and this sort of thing should never happen again.

bollox

While it's obvious that the police majorly screwed up I think they have been villified excessivley about this whilst the majority of Liverpool fans, and others, are happy to ignore the role that others played in it. If, as has been said here, the problems at Hillsborough were obvious then they should have been dealt with by the ground staff and board of Sheffield Wednesday FC. Also it is shameful that you never hear any condemnation from Liverpool FC of their own fans who went to the game without a ticket. It's ridiculous to think that you can go to a match without a ticket and try to get in. Anybody with half a brain cell can surely see that X into Y doesn't go. Especially when there's a big f***ing metal fence stopping people getting out the other end. And don't forget why the fences were there in the first place, it's because of the abject behaviour of English football fans (obviously not all of them, but enough to make the authorities put up fences) throughout the 70's and 80's. If they had behaved like decent people instead of animals they wouldn't have found themselves caged up like animals.

So yes, obviously entrance the ground was shambolically and disasterously policed and stewarded, but there are far more factors in it than just the pigs are c***s and it's their fault the 96 died. There is no way there will be any more justice for them than they have already got.

It's a shameful part of English football history but that's what it is. History. Bad s*** happens then you move on. Things are better now and this sort of thing should never happen again.

Does standing in front of those terraces, seeing and hearing at close and first hand those scenes that we can hardly bear to look at on our PC screens 20 years on, and doing absolutely f*** all about it equate to "majorly screwing up"? It was CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE.

"Villified excessivly?" Look at the pictures - look at what they stood by and watched - and think again.

• 1 year later...

I hope the matter is debated in parliament and that those 'significant papers' are released into the pubic domain. Sadly I suspect the truth will remain covered up for some time yet until all of the major protagonists are dead or too unwell for further investigation.

ive thought for a long time, it was a combination of factors,

bad/ unsafe stadium design....penning people in the middle sections.

poor policing, hindered/ influenced by the behavior of fans during 70s and 80s

pissed fans turning up late without tickets.

put the three together, recipe for disaster. RIP Liverpool fans that were lost- it could have happend at any big game around that time,looking back the warning signs were there, they were the unlucky ones.

Guest Haris Vuckic

RAWK trying to get a standing ovation for Barton sorted when we go to Anfield because of all he's been doing for this.

Fair enough.

Barton's image consultant is top class like. :thup:

put the three together, recipe for disaster. RIP Liverpool fans that were lost- it could have happend at any big game around that time,looking back the warning signs were there, they were the unlucky ones.

Us at Spurs in the FA Cup in 87 was supposed to be very similar. 12000 went down for that and were shoehorned in by all accounts, with some fans having to escape by climbing to the top tier. Am sure there are some fellow old-timers on here who may well have been there (I listened in on Metro)

Us at Spurs in the FA Cup in 87 was supposed to be very similar. 12000 went down for that and were shoehorned in by all accounts, with some fans having to escape by climbing to the top tier. Am sure there are some fellow old-timers on here who may well have been there (I listened in on Metro)

just reading back through this thread, i posted about that very match, got seperated from my dad in the crush- it was mental, i watched it from top of a fence, just to get out the crowd, as a skinny 19yr old.

p*ssed fans turning up late without tickets.

Yep was at that game. Time has dimmed the memory but recall standing on the side of one of the pens behind the goal for most of the game. Some barriers actually broke at the hinges and came away under the strain. Recall the Met weren't too keen to allow those getting crushed at the front out and into the section to the extreme right which was next to their fans. Was closed for segregation, in the end they had to open the gates at the front and allow a fair few into that section. Much gentle banter insued. I was 16 and terrified for the first 40 or so minutes until I was able to get across and up onto the side. Easily could have been close to or as bad as Hillsborough. Feckin coppas in those days down there were real bastards. Got a right chasing outside as well, perfect day really.

Also recall arriving at Kings Cross after the game in staggered fashion due to the mayhem and confusion outside. Around 100 or so Man Utd fans were on the other side of the platform, think they played Chelsea in the league that day. Good thing the train arrived within a few minutes as our little group of 20-30 or so Mags could have had another big problem if their staring at us was anything to go by.

just reading back through this thread, i posted about that very match, got seperated from my dad in the crush- it was mental, i watched it from top of a fence, just to get out the crowd, as a skinny 19yr old.

Yup - noticed that having re-read the first page. :thup:

Yep was at that game. Time has dimmed the memory but recall standing on the side of one of the pens behind the goal for most of the game. Some barriers actually broke at the hinges and came away under the strain. Recall the Met weren't too keen to allow those getting crushed at the front out and into the section to the extreme right which was next to their fans. Was closed for segregation, in the end they had to open the gates at the front and allow a fair few into that section. Much gentle banter insued. I was 16 and terrified for the first 40 or so minutes until I was able to get across and up onto the side. Easily could have been close to or as bad as Hillsborough. Feckin coppas in those days down there were real bastards. Got a right chasing outside as well, perfect day really.

i was on the fence to that segregation section they opened, watching seat parts flying down from the shelf

i was on the fence to that segregation section they opened, watching seat parts flying down from the shelf

Lets not forget the flying bottles...was ridiculous, like a war

The most incredible away support I have ever seen. Mate's dad was in the Met,'and he said the final police estimate was 14000.

A lot of the coppers just stood open-mouthed for most of the afternoon.

Remember giving Alf Garnett dog's abuse when he came on the pitch at half-time.

Jesus, I feel old.