Hillsborough disaster

Big Geordie

Liverpool fans still haven't and never will learn the lessons of Hillsborough.

While  football in the UK changed their ways (fencing etc) as did the police (proper match training) the Liverpool fans feel blameless in all this and still attend matches in their thousands without tickets and force their ways in to grounds, even grounds on foreign soil where both the other factors we have improved on are governed by a totally different body; usually a much lesser one and more caution should be applied.

They'll be the first to light a candle and have a cry at the fans they've lost, but also the first to deny any wrong doing on their part when they've in fact helped kill their own and cannot deal with their own actions.

Biggest bunch of hypocritical arseholes in English football.

Spot on

While  football in the UK changed their ways (fencing etc) as did the police (proper match training) the Liverpool fans feel blameless in all this and still attend matches in their thousands without tickets and force their ways in to grounds, even grounds on foreign soil where both the other factors we have improved on are governed by a totally different body; usually a much lesser one and more caution should be applied.

They'll be the first to light a candle and have a cry at the fans they've lost, but also the first to deny any wrong doing on their part when they've in fact helped kill their own and cannot deal with their own actions.

You just have to look at what happened at the Champions League Final a couple of years ago when Liverpool fans STILL barged their way through the gates, many without tickets.

Yep.

Going as low as stealing tickets off each other, one a young disabled kid IIRC.

Fuking animals.

No respect for them, certainly no sympathy.

Sympathy for the victims and their families surely?

They only went to watch their football team and didn't come home.

You just have to look at what happened at the Champions League Final a couple of years ago when Liverpool fans STILL barged their way through the gates, many without tickets.

Yep.

Going as low as stealing tickets off each other, one a young disabled kid IIRC.

Fuking animals.

No respect for them, certainly no sympathy.

Sympathy for the victims and their families surely?

They only went to watch their football team and didn't come home.

Back then yes.

Respect and sympathy for the current lot? Nope.

• 7 months later...

As harsh as it sounds, I've just no time for Hillsborough.

Yes it was tragic and alot of people died, but it was also a long time ago now, things have changed since then and alot more worse things have happened so I don't see why we should have the yearly day of national morning which it pretty much turns into.

If you look at the way Man U carry on regarding Munich I think is a prime example, they don't forget but other than the 50th anniversary since the event it's not been shoved in everyone's faces at the first oportunity.

To me Liverpool are just a club who enjoy the attention of wallowing in self pity, its as though the entire club think it's cool to be sad.

Guest sittingontheball

Police shambles and police coverup in my book. I would even say criminal negligence. I think it's sick that those responsible got early retirement and big fat pensions off the taxpayer. I think some even got compo for PTSD.

The bottleneck at the ground, the roadworks en route that meant fans would arrive late, the presence of some ticketless fans at that level of match,.... were all known to the police in advance. Football has always paid big for policing, they've never done out of the good of their hearts. It is clear from cctv and personal accounts that the first cries for help were ignored or treated with scorn. Part of the campaign is about the police declaring everyone dead by a certain time (3:15??) to deny any responsibility for the lack of medical treatment. It sounds like some of the victims went into shock or comas and could have been saved. Forty ambulances arrived but weren't allowed into the stadium.

We've got a couple of Everton lads on here and it should be remembered that the blue Scousers were arguably the biggest losers from the ban on English clubs following Heysel. Imagine if the Toon were denied a chance to play not just in Europe but in the European Cup thanks to Sunderland. It would notch things up to an even higher level of hatred. That Everton fans can still have sympathy with Liverpool about Hillsborough tells us something about what happened that day. I think it was a crime against all football fans. Same with the Bradford fire, which happened because nobody cared how shit football facilities were. Crumbling wooden stand with loads of rubbish underneath? That'll do. Well, its probably a fire risk but never mind.

All that said, the scousers that barged in and/or robbed non-scouse fans at that the last CL final are total scum and Rick Parry is a cunt for encouraging them.

Yes it was tragic and alot of people died, but it was also a long time ago now, things have changed since then and alot more worse things have happened so I don't see why we should have the yearly day of national morning which it pretty much turns into.

If you look at the way Man U carry on regarding Munich I think is a prime example, they don't forget but other than the 50th anniversary since the event it's not been shoved in everyone's faces at the first oportunity.

To me Liverpool are just a club who enjoy the attention of wallowing in self pity, its as though the entire club think it's cool to be sad.

There's a basic difference. Munich was a tragic accident, whereas Hillsborough was the result - in the main - of criminal negligence by the police and authorities which nobody has answered for.

And for those people happy to blame it on Liverpool fans alone, many older heads will tell you it VERY nearly happened to us at Hillsborough on Boxing Day 1985.

There's a basic difference. Munich was a tragic accident, whereas Hillsborough was the result - in the main - of criminal negligence by the police and authorities which nobody has answered for.

And for those people happy to blame it on Liverpool fans alone, many older heads will tell you it VERY nearly happened to us at Hillsborough on Boxing Day 1985.

This.

96 supporters went to a football match and never came back. No one has ever been held to account for it.

What happened in 85?

Guest Brazilianbob

Yes but the difference being it didn't happen and has never happened at any of the other semi finals played at Hillsborough.  To my mind it was a tragic accident caused by a catalogue of events, either foreseeable or unforseeable, but all unexpectedly culminating in the late arrival of fans which meant the police eventually advised that the gates be opened to let the late arrivals in, and the ticketless fans saw their opportunity to get in.

I have been in the Leppings lane end a couple of times and the NUFC fans going through the tunnel simply pushed the people on the terraces forward so they could get on to the terraces.  No one made the NUFC fans push other than those behind them also with the same desperate desire to get the very best vantage point from which to watch the game.  I would be very surprised to find the Liverpool fans did not do the same given their late arrival, and of course the ticketless fans meant more got in than the enclosure was designed to hold.

No one can provide a convincing argument that this would not have happened if the Liverpool fans had quietly queued to get in rather than panicking because they were missing the start of the game.  A controversial view I know, but I just can't shake it off.

There is a Hillsborough Board on that Forum. An entire Board for Hillsborough based discussion. Jesus.

Seems to be a lot of threads though. Probably just to clean up the main forum a bit.

There is a Hillsborough Board on that Forum. An entire Board for Hillsborough based discussion. Jesus.

Look at someone like Sara Payne who upon her daughters death became a child protection campaigner. What seems like a unfair death can cause a emotion & make people change the way they live there lives for ever. Fair play to them for having will power & strength to keep battling all these years down the line for what they believe is is a injustice as the world we live in now people often give up or look for quick option.

Yes but the difference being it didn't happen and has never happened at any of the other semi finals played at Hillsborough.  To my mind it was a tragic accident caused by a catalogue of events, either foreseeable or unforseeable, but all unexpectedly culminating in the late arrival of fans which meant the police eventually advised that the gates be opened to let the late arrivals in, and the ticketless fans saw their opportunity to get in.

I have been in the Leppings lane end a couple of times and the NUFC fans going through the tunnel simply pushed the people on the terraces forward so they could get on to the terraces.  No one made the NUFC fans push other than those behind them also with the same desperate desire to get the very best vantage point from which to watch the game.  I would be very surprised to find the Liverpool fans did not do the same given their late arrival, and of course the ticketless fans meant more got in than the enclosure was designed to hold.

No one can provide a convincing argument that this would not have happened if the Liverpool fans had quietly queued to get in rather than panicking because they were missing the start of the game.  A controversial view I know, but I just can't shake it off.

It's not controversial, just very naive. You're basically saying Liverpool supporters are to blame for acting like football supporters.

Fact of the matter is South Yorkshire police both inside and outside the ground were murderously negligent. The crush started at approximately half 2 and was only dealt with at 3:06pm and for the vast majority of that time the police on the ground and in the control station were aware that something wasn't quite right. I have never heard any explanation as to why the game wasn't delayed, the pens either side of the stand weren't opened earlier or why the police weren't on hand to channel supporters to other areas of the Leppings Lane End as they would have been for any other match.

As for the ticketless fans there's no point in even discussing it. That myth was punctured a long, long time ago.

Guest toonlass

Do you know how this could have been avoided? There was a gate that was usually pulled across the tunnel to the central pen when it was full to stop more people getting in. No-one pulled this gate over the tunnel, the supporters naturally gravitated to the central tunnel as it was, AND STILL IS, the main focal point when you enter the Leppings Lane end and was signed properly unlike the side tunnels. No-one stopped the supporters from going into the already full central pens into the relatively empty side pens. That was the responsibility of the police and the stewards.

There was a crush outside the gate because of the number of supporters who were congregated at the turnstiles, as there were no Police cordons further back away from the ground, which had been in place the year before for the semi-final and the police and stewards directed Liverpool fans to the Leppings Lane end regardless of whether they had tickets for there or not, plus train and motorway roadworks bunched the number of supporters together. The police WERE aware of the crush outside, and knew if they opened the gate that the fans would come into the ground. Where else were they meant to go? The pens could only hold a finite number of fans, and the police and stewards knew that and were responsible for stopping too many people going into that area. Instead of stopping more fans entering an already crowded area and actually policing the situation they did what they still do now and treated the football fans with contempt and ignorance. They stood back and watched this happen, with only a few decent, and predominatley young PC's actually helping those being crushed to death. Had they directed the fans coming in into the side pens then the crush would not have happened.