If we stay up, what then?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I still think this is all just a huge (and ridiculous) gamble by Ashley. He's had some decent ideas and plans, but failed to address the two most important issues; the quality of the first team and the quality of the manager. He's clearly expecting the club to stay up this season with very little investment.

But if we somehow manage to survive the drop this year, what happens then?

Do you think it's inevitable we'll struggle again or do you see a more positive future? I'm not sure myself. With some of the high-earning wasters out of the way we're freed up to spend wages on new players. Money will start to come in for those we've sold recently and money we've spent/owe on players will be decreasing all the time; we should know exactly where we stand. The club will know as the fans do that Kinnear isn't up to the task, both tactically and physically.

Ashley has made a monumental fuck up of this season, but there's no way he'd be so thick as to make the same misjudgements again... right? :undecided:

No idea. If Kinnear signs a new contract we'll have a repeat of this season. No matter how much money is released he'll just waste it on talentless cloggers like Nolan and Ryan.

No way of knowing. It depends what conclusion Ashley comes to really - he must know we're struggling but does he even realise it's up to him to do something about it?

If he's got any sense in him he'll bring in a better manager and give them a reasonable transfer kitty to work with. Doesn't have to be particularly extravagent, just reasonable, something like £15m+sales. That would see us fine.

Can't say I'm holding out a huge amount of hope mind. If he does nothing it'll be grim.

I think he'll sell up if we do stay up.

He must realise this will never ever work so why waste a few more years of his life and x amount of money so he can be slammed by the fans and the media again.

ASHLEY JUST DO THE RIGHT THING AND FUCK OFF YOU DOPEY TWAT!

I still think this is all just a huge (and ridiculous) gamble by Ashley. He's had some decent ideas and plans, but failed to address the two most important issues; the quality of the first team and the quality of the manager. He's clearly expecting the club to stay up this season with very little investment.

But if we somehow manage to survive the drop this year, what happens then?

Do you think it's inevitable we'll struggle again or do you see a more positive future? I'm not sure myself. With some of the high-earning wasters out of the way we're freed up to spend wages on new players. Money will start to come in for those we've sold recently and money we've spent/owe on players will be decreasing all the time; we should know exactly where we stand. The club will know as the fans do that Kinnear isn't up to the task, both tactically and physically.

Ashley has made a monumental fuck up of this season, but there's no way he'd be so thick as to make the same misjudgements again... right? :undecided:

With any normal human being I'd agree.  But apparently Ashley is willing to allow a man who has never won a game as manager of Newcastle United to stay in charge for the last 8 games of a season when we're in the bottom three already.  In the hope that a man recovering from triple heart bypass surgery, who doesn't have a great win record himself, will get back in time to save us.

All this season I've been thinking the same as you've just said, that we're trying to cut costs down for a few seasons to a point were we can start again to a degree.  With next season being the one were it will begin (considering we're supposed to be almost breaking even by then)  But I'll no longer put anything past Mike Ashley, if someone told me he wanted to sell Newcastle's squad into prostitution I'd be 50/50 on whether or not to believe it.

No way of knowing. It depends what conclusion Ashley comes to really - he must know we're struggling but does he even realise it's up to him to do something about it?

If he's got any sense in him he'll bring in a better manager and give them a reasonable transfer kitty to work with. Doesn't have to be particularly extravagent, just reasonable, something like £15m+sales. That would see us fine.

Can't say I'm holding out a huge amount of hope mind. If he does nothing it'll be grim.

The solution to all this malarkey is so fucking simple really!!!!!! it's mind boggling!!! as you say, new manager, clear the dead-wood, reasonable transfer budget. The hardest part will be picking the right manager. Why not consult SBR on who he might see as a good manager for the future? Give the man the job, and allow him to build a squad up for 2 or 3 years and take stock at that point. Also, got to be a manager/coaching staff ready and willing to work with the youth and bring them through ffs!!

You just can't believe a businessman would make such monkey-brain decisions

You can understand a businessman listening to the people around him though. If Ashley is clueless (as most of us suspect) then he can only go on what the people he's appointed advise him.

Presumably Wise thinks the squad and manager are as good as Llambias does.

Guest Mucky01

You just can't believe a successful businessman would make such monkey-brain decisions

yep, I still can’t believe the crassness of the man.

Guest Phil K

You can understand a businessman listening to the people around him though. If Ashley is clueless (as most of us suspect) then he can only go on what the people he's appointed advise him.

I do have an image of Ashley as a chimp sitting behind a desk with a Newcastle shirt and bowler hat on, smoking a cigar, losing his temper like a chimp and slapping the table with both hands if anyone dares mention Venables, for some reason....

Guest Mucky01

The solution to all this malarkey is so f***ing simple really!!!!!! it's mind boggling!!! as you say, new manager, clear the dead-wood, reasonable transfer budget. The hardest part will be picking the right manager. Why not consult SBR on who he might see as a good manager for the future? Give the man the job, and allow him to build a squad up for 2 or 3 years and take stock at that point. Also, got to be a manager/coaching staff ready and willing to work with the youth and bring them through ffs!!

he obviously thinks he knows better and is deluded, conceited and arrogant enough to continue his theories.

I think if the football club stays in the divison it will slowly grow and the system will work!

Bringing in a few better players replacing dead wood every season as the club gradually climbs up the table!

wise has played at the highest level, no way on earth he can think this squad is good enough, no way

phrase it a different way though, does he think it's the best he could acheive within the financial boundaries?  i posed this question ages ago about his role as a director of football and was shot down but i think it's about the most accurate view there is

I think if the football club stays in the divison it will slowly grow and the system will work!

Bringing in a few better players replacing dead wood every season as the club gradually climbs up the table!

They have had 3 windows to do that already and look at the non productive players they've brought in, so what makes you think they'll magically turn it around should we survive?

For that to happen we'll need a proper manager. I would give Ashley the benefit of the doubt in assuming one was coming in the close season, except the fat dolt has offered Joe a new contract and Llambias spends every waking moment telling us how many days before he'll be able to return. Based on that my optimism is non-existent.

They have had 3 windows to do that already and look at the non productive players they've brought in, so what makes you think they'll magically turn it around should we survive?

Problem is they had 3 and a half windows with 3 different managers

Problem is they had 3 and a half windows with 3 different managers

Aye but that half window couldn't have been prepared for like the others.

Kinnear will sign the contract, but the board won't sit and watch us linger in the relegation zone for the duration of the season. It'll reach October/November and they'll realise the mistake, sack Kinnear, appoint someone capable, and we'll finish in a mediocre position, safe from relegation though. A Roeder-style season, basically.

Guess you could say that's optimistic.