Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

It's not relevant but indi will still gladly debate about it endlessly if you press him on it :lol:

:D

It's better than talking about today's fiasco, talking bollocks (preferably about the future, rather than the past) in here is keeping me away from the woe-fest that is undoubtedly happening everywhere else on the board, or at least I assume it is, I haven't had the stomach to go and look, to be honest.

Surely Ashley must look to keep Shearer in the job. If not Shearer then who? I really don't see a feasible alternative because we need the fans totally behind the team from day one next season and a disappointing appointment instead of Shearer would most likely end in tears.

The crux of the matter as far as I'm concerned is Ashely and Shearer reaching a sensible agreement over a budget. I don't think Shearer is naive enough to walk in and ask him for £50 million, but I do think he needs some raw material to work with. I just hope Shearer stays but I'm not holding my breath.

I think it's sad that the whole concept that the fans wouldn't be behind the team from day one by default, is even considered a credible one. Is everyone going to stop supporting NUFC if Alan Shearer isn't our manager at the beginning of next season? I know they're not, but there is definitely a kind of xenophobia at our club which hinders our progress because anyone deigned not to have a "true" bond to the club is always treated as an outsider and therefore doesn't get the same treatment as those who are considered to have.

Or maybe its because we have been let down by pretty much every manager who has came into the job without ties to Newcastle.

We've been let down by pretty much every manager who's come into the job, full-stop. The only difference is that you're willing to ignore it if they happen to have some ties to the club. Keegan let us down too, remember. Twice. Roeder had ties to the club and all. How does that fit in with your view?

I wouldn't exactly say Keegan let us down during his first stint as manager like. But if that's your take on it.

Keegan didnt dissapoint.

Robson didnt.

Roeder got an unlikely European spot and a good European run.

There.

Keegan walked out on us twice.

Roeder had some success, but if he was so great why isn't he our manager now?

Robson didn't, I agree.

Keegan let us down by leaving us in a better position?  Twice.

Twice?

First time yes, but walking out mid season was a let down for definite.

Second time he left us totally in the s***. It wasn't all his making, but still, he decided to walk away rather than stay and sort it out and that's a let down in my book.

He kept our Premiership status and left when we were in the top 10 with 35 games left.  That's better than what we were under Big Sam.

Do you think fans would get behind a new manager that isn't Shearer though?  Would it be good for the club to split the supporters AGAIN man?  I don't think its a good idea at all.

We should unite and rebuild under him.  Give him a season, if we don't come back up straight away at least we would of got over the Shearer-factor.

It's not relevant but indi will still gladly debate about it endlessly if you press him on it :lol:

:D

It's better than talking about today's fiasco, talking bollocks (preferably about the future, rather than the past) in here is keeping me away from the woe-fest that is undoubtedly happening everywhere else on the board, or at least I assume it is, I haven't had the stomach to go and look, to be honest.

Apart from the usual suspects taking any chance they get to have a pop at people and act the cunt it's not the apocalyptic scene I was expecting after getting in from my mate's house. Certainly no more depressed than it was there anyway.

Might flounce off again too. ;)

Only if you're lucky. :p

You fucking said it.

Surely Ashley must look to keep Shearer in the job. If not Shearer then who? I really don't see a feasible alternative because we need the fans totally behind the team from day one next season and a disappointing appointment instead of Shearer would most likely end in tears.

The crux of the matter as far as I'm concerned is Ashely and Shearer reaching a sensible agreement over a budget. I don't think Shearer is naive enough to walk in and ask him for £50 million, but I do think he needs some raw material to work with. I just hope Shearer stays but I'm not holding my breath.

I think it's sad that the whole concept that the fans wouldn't be behind the team from day one by default, is even considered a credible one. Is everyone going to stop supporting NUFC if Alan Shearer isn't our manager at the beginning of next season? I know they're not, but there is definitely a kind of xenophobia at our club which hinders our progress because anyone deigned not to have a "true" bond to the club is always treated as an outsider and therefore doesn't get the same treatment as those who are considered to have.

Or maybe its because we have been let down by pretty much every manager who has came into the job without ties to Newcastle.

We've been let down by pretty much every manager who's come into the job, full-stop. The only difference is that you're willing to ignore it if they happen to have some ties to the club. Keegan let us down too, remember. Twice. Roeder had ties to the club and all. How does that fit in with your view?

I wouldn't exactly say Keegan let us down during his first stint as manager like. But if that's your take on it.

He didn't whilst he was our manager, but how was walking out on us like that not letting us down?

I know it's pretty much considered sacrilegious to say this, but he definitely let us down the second time.

Maybe he did but he was hardly proved wrong was he?

Wasn't proved right either though.

Anyway, none of this is really relevant to anything now, that's the past and we need to get beyond it and start looking to the future.

I think he was proved right. Can you compare the football we played under a happy Keegan to the dross we've witnessed since?

How happy was he when we played Man U? We played pretty well against them. He got some good performances out of essentially the same players that have gotten us relegated, given that how anyone can say that him walking out hasn't let us down is beyond me.

I really don't imagine there are many better candidates out there to be manager than Shearer.

If we could get a proven top class manager to take over then that'd be the way to go, but how likely is that when we're no longer a Premiership club? Not very would be my guess, particularly with the clowns we'd have trying to make the appointment.

Hoping Ashley will agree to Shearer's vision for the club and support him in what he wants to do.

If not, we won't be a Premiership club again for a long time.

Of course there are better candidates out there than an unproven manager with a track record consisting of eight games, most of which were defeats!! If people can forget for a moment that his name is Alan Shearer, then you'll see just how ridiculous that statement is. This is what I mean by the insular thing, everyone's reduced the number of potential managers down to a list consisting of one name. Already, before we've even begun looking!! There's more out there than Alan Shearer, there's more places to look than a list of previous players, than the Premiership, than England, than Europe. Look at where the two best managers in the league came from: Scotland, not even the Old Firm, Aberdeen; and Japan, Japan for fuck's sake, do people seriously not think we could attract someone from the fucking J-League!?!

There's loads of potential candidates out there, it's whether or not we actually go and look for them or just go with the easy option and appoint Shearer uncontested. If he is the best that we can get then fine, but let's not assume that without even looking at the alternatives first.

Do you honestly believe we have an owner and chairman capable of going out and finding the next management sensation in fucking Japan like? :lol:

They'd probably come back with some ageing Japanese racist called Jo Kin Ira.

What exactly gives you hope that Ashley and Llambias will produce a moment of brilliance and find the right man for the job given their record of absolute and total failure in running the club to this point? Do you think they're due or something?

In Shearer we have a man who was one of the best players of his generation, a man who will command respect and do everything in his power to make this club great. He's always come over as someone who really understands the game, and while that's no gaurantee that he'll make a good manager it does make him a pretty decent managerial prospect, especially for a Championship football team.

I really don't imagine there are many better candidates out there to be manager than Shearer.

If we could get a proven top class manager to take over then that'd be the way to go, but how likely is that when we're no longer a Premiership club? Not very would be my guess, particularly with the clowns we'd have trying to make the appointment.

Hoping Ashley will agree to Shearer's vision for the club and support him in what he wants to do.

Of course there are better candidates out there than an unproven manager with a track record consisting of eight games, most of which were defeats!! If people can forget for a moment that his name is Alan Shearer, then you'll see just how ridiculous that statement is. This is what I mean by the insular thing, everyone's reduced the number of potential managers down to a list consisting of one name. Already, before we've even begun looking!! There's more out there than Alan Shearer, there's more places to look than a list of previous players, than the Premiership, than England, than Europe. Look at where the two best managers in the league came from: Scotland, not even the Old Firm, Aberdeen; and Japan, Japan for fuck's sake, do people seriously not think we could attract someone from the fucking J-League!?!

There's loads of potential candidates out there, it's whether or not we actually go and look for them or just go with the easy option and appoint Shearer uncontested. If he is the best that we can get then fine, but let's not assume that without even looking at the alternatives first.

Do you honestly believe we have an owner and chairman capable of going out and finding the next management sensation in fucking Japan like? :lol:

What exactly gives you hope that Ashley and Llambias will produce a moment of brilliance and find the right man for the job given their record of absolute and total failure in running the club to this point? Do you think they're due or something?

In Shearer we have a man who was one of the best players of his generation, a man who will command respect and do everything in his power to make this club great. He's always come over as someone who really understands the game, and while that's no gaurantee that he'll make a good manager it does make him a pretty decent managerial prospect, especially for a Championship football team.

:lol:

Agree with your post.

He kept our Premiership status and left when we were in the top 10 with 35 games left.  That's better than what we were under Big Sam.

And then walked out and it all turned to shit.

Do you think fans would get behind a new manager that isn't Shearer though?  Would it be good for the club to split the supporters AGAIN man?  I don't think its a good idea at all.

Sadly; no, I don't.

We should unite and rebuild under him.  Give him a season, if we don't come back up straight away at least we would of got over the Shearer-factor.

There is that, but if it doesn't work out, what then, where would we go from there? I don't see the problem in him proving himself somewhere else first.

So they shouldn't even look? Let's give up before we've even started, shall we?

Like I said, if he turns out to be the best we can get then fine, but let's not start from that position.

Like I said, if he turns out to be the best we can get then fine, but let's not start from that position.

So what are you actually proposing exactly? Have you actually got someone else in mind for the post? Would they be able to unite the fans in the way Shearer can? Would they be able to give the job a really serious go and bring stability to the club? If so, who is it you have in mind?

Or do you have an alternative position we should be starting from? If so, please spell it out for us.

Redknapp

Keegan

(Hughton)

Venables

Kinnear

(Hughton)

Shearer

Where's this inspiration coming from, indi?

What inspiration?

I'm not inspired at all, I fully expect them to offer Shearer the job without ever considering anyone else, doesn't mean I'm going to argue in favour of that happening though.

I understand what you are saying Indi but given our current circumstance, our current ownership etc, Shearer seems easily the best option and in the long run I think this will pan out. If we get new ownership I would consider other people. This lot have 100% proven their inability to think outside any sort of box.

Redknapp

Keegan

(Hughton)

Venables

Kinnear

(Hughton)

Shearer

Where's this inspiration coming from, indi?

What inspiration?

I'm not inspired at all, I fully expect them to offer Shearer the job without ever considering anyone else, doesn't mean I'm going to argue in favour of that happening though.

I meant the inspiration from them, to look further than a club hero or someone they know somehow. I don't see any, so I don't know why you're calling for them to look further than Shearer.

They evidently can't even if they wanted to.

Guest Heneage

Be nice to think they would. I just do not think Shearer has the tactical ability to succeed.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Indi's just got jumped up for some reason can't really argue with Dave's point, I share his sentiments.

Be nice to think they would. I just do not think Shearer has the tactical ability to succeed.

Managing 8 games with players who cant pass or even run.  Yee..

So what are you actually proposing exactly? Have you actually got someone else in mind for the post? Would they be able to unite the fans in the way Shearer can? Would they be able to give the job a really serious go and bring stability to the club? If so, who is it you have in mind?

Or do you have an alternative position we should be starting from? If so, please spell it out for us.

I'm proposing that we (the club) put some actual thought and effort into going out and looking at the options available to us. You know, like what the successful clubs do.

Wins, points, goals, clean-sheets, good football and ultimately promotion to the Premiership is what will unite the fans. You think we'll be united having spent a few seasons in the Championship, even if Shearer's our manager? I don't. Success is what unites a football club and I think we should be going out and finding the person most likely to get us that, whoever that is. Appointing a manger simply to unite the fans is pointless if he doesn't deliver the goods. We've had it all arse-about-tit for ages when it comes to appointing managers and it's about time it stopped. I'm sick of the club's continual obsession with appeasing the fans, that's what's lead us to where we are now.

I have no suggestion as to who we should appoint, I don't know who's available and I've no experience of running a football club. That doesn't mean that I can't see that the only way to address the first point is to go and find out and that it might be a good idea for those doing the second to get some advice and apply a bit of thought as to who they get to be the manager before they make the decision.

The position we should be starting from is: We have a vacancy for manager, who is the best man for the job and can we get him? If not, then who is the next best and so-on.

I'm proposing that we (the club) put some actual thought and effort into going out and looking at the options available to us. You know, like what the successful clubs do.

Wins, points, goals, clean-sheets, good football and ultimately promotion to the Premiership is what will unite the fans. You think we'll be united having spent a few seasons in the Championship, even if Shearer's our manager? I don't. Success is what unites a football club and I think we should be going out and finding the person most likely to get us that, whoever that is. Appointing a manger simply to unite the fans is pointless if he doesn't deliver the goods. We've had it all arse-about-tit for ages when it comes to appointing managers and it's about time it stopped. I'm sick of the club's continual obsession with appeasing the fans, that's what's lead us to where we are now.

I have no suggestion as to who we should appoint, I don't know who's available and I've no experience of running a football club. That doesn't mean that I can't see that the only way to address the first point is to go and find out and that it might be a good idea for those doing the second to get some advice and apply a bit of thought as to who they get to be the manager before they make the decision.

The position we should be starting from is: We have a vacancy for manager, who is the best man for the job and can we get him? If not, then who is the next best and so-on.

So, in summary, your alternative starting point is that basically we need to get a good manager in, plan for the long term but that you haven't got a fucking clue who we should appoint?

As for "appeasing the fans" - are you sure about that...do the names "Souness" and "Allardyce" and "Roeder" mean nothing to you?

I understand what you are saying Indi but given our current circumstance, our current ownership etc, Shearer seems easily the best option and in the long run I think this will pan out. If we get new ownership I would consider other people. This lot have 100% proven their inability to think outside any sort of box.

People keep saying he's the best person for the job, without even knowing what the options are and the only evidence they offer to back this assertion up is him having instigated stiffer fines, being good with the media and being able to unite the fans (in the short-term because like I've said anything longer than that will depend entirely on results), none of which is stuff that gets us 3 points after 90 minutes.

What real evidence is there that Shearer will be a good manager? There isn't any at present and unfortunately the present is where we find ourselves. People are supporting Alan Shearer for manager because he's Alan Shearer, not because he's a good manager because no-one knows the answer to that question - either way. If this was anyone other than Alan Shearer we wouldn't be having this conversation.

So, in summary, your alternative starting point is that basically we need to get a good manager in, plan for the long term but that you haven't got a fucking clue who we should appoint?

As for "appeasing the fans" - are you sure about that...do the names "Souness" and "Allardyce" and "Roeder" mean nothing to you?

I like the way Indi is thinking but it is inconceivable. The people in charge have proven that. To think otherwise would be a waste of resources.

Shearer should be given at least two seasons (unless we're going to get relegated from the Championship).

We're in the second tier now, and we should take the time to properly rebuild.  I genuinely believe Shearer can have the effect Keegan had, but no one could motivate the squad we have atm.  Owen being Captain was just so symptomatic.  Shearer's a not a fool, he will be able to assemble his own squad.  

Let's see what he can do, and I mean two years.  If I see steps forward, I'm happy.  Even baby steps, so long as they keep going forward.  Because we've been going back for five years now.

People keep saying he's the best person for the job, without even knowing what the options are and the only evidence they offer to back this assertion up is him having instigated stiffer fines, being good with the media and being able to unite the fans (in the short-term because like I've said anything longer than that will depend entirely on results), none of which is stuff that gets us 3 points after 90 minutes.

What real evidence is there that Shearer will be a good manager? There isn't any at present and unfortunately the present is where we find ourselves. People are supporting Alan Shearer for manager because he's Alan Shearer, not because he's a good manager because no-one knows the answer to that question - either way. If this was anyone other than Alan Shearer we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Aye but can you name any better options for the here and now? take into consideration what Alan Shearer really is for a start

I agree with your point Indi but I really don't think the current ownership has the foresight to consider anyone other than Shearer. I actually think this is a blessing in disguise though and that he will go on to do well. This is purely a feeling though.