Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Thought the substitutions today were bad, we were getting murdered in midfield and he took our only player with legs off and put on a left back in order to move Duff into midfield, why?

Why didn't he bring on Jonas? I know he's not exactly been setting the world alight recently, but his energy might have added something that we were missing and who knows what might have happened.

I'm sorry, but I've not seen anything from Shearer to suggest that he's going to be a good manager for us. I wish we'd just stop f***ing about with novelty managers/Geordie messiahs/whatever and just appoint a good f***ing manager. Stop trying to create a fairytale and start trying to create a football club. We need to move back into the real world and if this season doesn't open people's eyes to that then I don't know what will.

What we need to do now is to start planning for the future of this football club and doing what it takes to make sure that it's a damn sight better than the present. Tough decisions need to be made, people need to stop worrying what the fans/press/rest of the country thinks and get on with what needs to be done, this is no time for sentiment and emotion, realism and logic and hard work are what's required. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, is it! We're going to spend the summer wallowing in emotion and self pity and lashing out at anyone we can find to fill the role of scapegoat, not giving a s*** if we're ripping the club apart whilst we do so, killing the thing we're supposed to love, making things worse not better, and deluding ourselves about a whole host of things. Just like we've been doing all season long.

That's the most depressing thing for me, the total inability to learn from our mistakes, that's the first thing that needs to change. I hope it does.

8 games is probably just about the the right of time to judge a new manager!  Who inherited a squad FFS.

We should get rid of the guy who genuinely cares and loves the club because he only won a single game and made some bad substitions.. jesus wept.

Erm, sorry to break this to you, but we don't get any points for him loving the club.

Eight games is obviously a short period to judge a manager over, but that's exactly my fucking point: Number of games as a manager when Shearer was appointed? ZERO. You can't really have a go at me for judging him too soon, when you've obviously made the opposite conclusion based upon even less evidence, or in fact, none whatsoever. I'm basing my opinion on eight games during which I've seen little sign that Shearer is ready to be our manager yet. Maybe he will be at some point in the future, but I don't think we as a club can afford to be the laboratory in which that experiment is conducted. If he wants to be the manager of NUFC, let him go off somewhere else and prove that he's the right man for the job first. In the meantime we should get ourselves a good manager who has already done so, one who has demonstrated that in a lot more than zero - or even eight! - games.

Guest The Libertine

Thought the substitutions today were bad, we were getting murdered in midfield and he took our only player with legs off and put on a left back in order to move Duff into midfield, why?

Why didn't he bring on Jonas? I know he's not exactly been setting the world alight recently, but his energy might have added something that we were missing and who knows what might have happened.

I'm sorry, but I've not seen anything from Shearer to suggest that he's going to be a good manager for us. I wish we'd just stop f***ing about with novelty managers/Geordie messiahs/whatever and just appoint a good f***ing manager. Stop trying to create a fairytale and start trying to create a football club. We need to move back into the real world and if this season doesn't open people's eyes to that then I don't know what will.

What we need to do now is to start planning for the future of this football club and doing what it takes to make sure that it's a damn sight better than the present. Tough decisions need to be made, people need to stop worrying what the fans/press/rest of the country thinks and get on with what needs to be done, this is no time for sentiment and emotion, realism and logic and hard work are what's required. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, is it! We're going to spend the summer wallowing in emotion and self pity and lashing out at anyone we can find to fill the role of scapegoat, not giving a s*** if we're ripping the club apart whilst we do so, killing the thing we're supposed to love, making things worse not better, and deluding ourselves about a whole host of things. Just like we've been doing all season long.

That's the most depressing thing for me, the total inability to learn from our mistakes, that's the first thing that needs to change. I hope it does.

Lovenkrands was invisible, Enrique has more 'legs' than anyone in our side so bringing him on was a good move. however others were questionable. it is too early to say whether is going to be a good manager or not - he's not one yet but what did we expect? personally i think it was a bit erratic to hire a completely inexperienced manager, we were crying out for a more seasoned manager like venables. i dont blame shearer, it took guts to step in, i blame the series of mistakes that brought him here.

I'm not blaming Shearer, just like I'm not blaming Kinnear and so-on. I'm not interested in blame any more, I'm interested in where we go from here.

While I disagree with your opinion on Shearer as our manager (I think he's the best man available for the job right now), I'm with you 100% on that I'm sick and tired of everyone blaming someone.

Im going NE5 mood here but wtf are you on about!

In two years under Ashley we have made profit in every transfer window, didnt have a permanent manager the entire season, didn't let managers have control over transfers.

Not to mention slumping from European hopefuls to relegated!  But no one is to blame, lets move on.  Im sure he will spend money this summer to get us up, get rid of the wasters maybe we will get a little bit of our James Milner money soon  O0

Of course there are people to blame, but the blame game has been going on for the entire season. We need to move forward, we need to put this shite behind us, there's just no point in going on and on and on about it any more.

yes there is! there are points to be scored ffs!!

agreed btw. next season starts now.

I am ok if he stays.  I jsut want him to kick all the fuckers out of the club.  It's obvious that some of the fukers do not listen to his words and simply dun give a damn shit to our relegation battle.

If those players remains in the team we will face further relegation, because Shearer proves that he cannot handle these fuckers.

Who do you think we could/should attract instead of Shearer, indi?

I'm not saying you're wrong btw.

Coppell wouldn't be a bad shout if he's willing to take another job so soon.

I don't really know to be honest, I'm no real aficionado of the available, or potentially available, management talent, but the club need to be doing whatever it takes to find someone and provide them with what they need to do the job. There's got to be someone out there with a decent record of success who'd be willing to take us on.

Coppell is a good manager and a nice bloke, but I'd worry about the pressure getting to him if he came here.

Its all "mights" at his point thats the problem.

Theres always some amazing change the manager could have made that COULD have changed the game. Its endless. People hate accepting that no matter what we'd have done, the side just werent good enough. None of them.

& yes we cannot say shearers been brilliant

but neither can you judge his managerial ability very well at this point atall.

Its not like we dont want to appoint a class manager anyway, so i dont understand that point. We'd all have loved that.

Whats so strange about us liking the idea of keegan/shearer also?

I dont see how thats "trying to create a fairytale". We wanted them in charge for pretty sound logical reasons.

What are those logical reasons then?

Lovenkrands was invisible, Enrique has more 'legs' than anyone in our side so bringing him on was a good move. however others were questionable. it is too early to say whether is going to be a good manager or not - he's not one yet but what did we expect? personally i think it was a bit erratic to hire a completely inexperienced manager, we were crying out for a more seasoned manager like venables. i dont blame shearer, it took guts to step in, i blame the series of mistakes that brought him here.

I'm not blaming Shearer, just like I'm not blaming Kinnear and so-on. I'm not interested in blame any more, I'm interested in where we go from here.

While I disagree with your opinion on Shearer as our manager (I think he's the best man available for the job right now), I'm with you 100% on that I'm sick and tired of everyone blaming someone.

Im going NE5 mood here but wtf are you on about!

In two years under Ashley we have made profit in every transfer window, didnt have a permanent manager the entire season, didn't let managers have control over transfers.

Not to mention slumping from European hopefuls to relegated!  But no one is to blame, lets move on.  Im sure he will spend money this summer to get us up, get rid of the wasters maybe we will get a little bit of our James Milner money soon  O0

Of course there are people to blame, but the blame game has been going on for the entire season. We need to move forward, we need to put this s**** behind us, there's just no point in going on and on and on about it any more.

When are the owners going to support the team though?

Bollocks. NOW is exactly the time to appropriate blame to those who deserve it. Most of us have been holding back long enough. The results are in. We're relegated. Let's fucking skin these bastards.

Bollocks. NOW is exactly the time to appropriate blame to those who deserve it. Most of us have been holding back long enough. The results are in. We're relegated. Let's f***ing skin these bastards.

Yup.

So now we know he can't really motivate a team to perform better. And he isnt too impressive with tactical choices (although I reckon Dowie was taking care of that stuff)

Now he has to wheel and deal in the market and build a team...without any experience...scary 

:no:

I'd like Shearer to stay on and I'd like Speed to get some sort of coaching role. BUT, we need some sharp tactical man who can teach Big Al. Sir Bobby would have been the ultimate but that's not going to happen, I know that. I love Shearer but his inexperience showed today but with the guidance of a "tactical mastermind" we could be our man for the next 20 years... I keep on believing, stupid me

Why not just appoint the sharp tactical man as the manager and cut out the middle man?

Let Shearer do his learning on someone else's time. We can't afford to dick around in the Championship whilst he learns his trade, we need to be getting out of there this time next season and it needs to be in the right direction, and all.

I'm sick of all the sentimental bullshit that we allow to get in the way of everything, I don't care who the manager is so long as he's good, I couldn't give a shit where the players come from so long as the put in a good performance, I don't care who owns the club so long as they're leading it in the right direction. I just want to win a few games and play some decent football and I want that to be in the Premiership.

8 games is probably just about the the right of time to judge a new manager!  Who inherited a squad FFS.

We should get rid of the guy who genuinely cares and loves the club because he only won a single game and made some bad substitions.. jesus wept.

Erm, sorry to break this to you, but we don't get any points for him loving the club.

Eight games is obviously a short period to judge a manager over, but that's exactly my f***ing point: Number of games as a manager when Shearer was appointed? ZERO. You can't really have a go at me for judging him too soon, when you've obviously made the opposite conclusion based upon even less evidence, or in fact, none whatsoever. I'm basing my opinion on eight games during which I've seen little sign that Shearer is ready to be our manager yet. Maybe he will be at some point in the future, but I don't think we as a club can afford to be the laboratory in which that experiment is conducted. If he wants to be the manager of NUFC, let him go off somewhere else and prove that he's the right man for the job first. In the meantime we should get ourselves a good manager who has already done so, one who has demonstrated that in a lot more than zero - or even eight! - games.

He hasn;t even made a signing yet, in those 8 games he has played Liverpool, Chelsea, Villa away, Spurs away, Stoke (one of the best home records in the league) away, and the winnable fixtures we drew against an in-form Portsmouth, won against Boro - where he made great substitions, and lost because of a mistake against Fulham where we played most 2nd half with 10 men.

Widely accepted that he has brought discipline into the club, is working really hard to get it right.  Has very high standards and has always been a natural leader.  Some pretty good qualities to have in a manager right there.  Most managers should get at least a season by the way.. Zola didnt do well in his first 10 games O0

So kneejerk away.

Bollocks. NOW is exactly the time to appropriate blame to those who deserve it. Most of us have been holding back long enough. The results are in. We're relegated. Let's fucking skin these bastards.

That helps things how, mate?

I don't really know to be honest, I'm no real aficionado of the available, or potentially available, management talent, but the club need to be doing whatever it takes to find someone and provide them with what they need to do the job. There's got to be someone out there with a decent record of success who'd be willing to take us on.

Coppell is a good manager and a nice bloke, but I'd worry about the pressure getting to him if he came here.

Steve Coppell is one of the most grounded and logical managers in the game, plus he has a good Championship record, I'd be reasonably happy to see him here if Shearer refuses.

So now we know he can't really motivate a team to perform better. And he isnt too impressive with tactical choices (although I reckon Dowie was taking care of that stuff)

Now he has to wheel and deal in the market and build a team...without any experience...scary 

:no:

Exactly, the one thing I thought we'd get from Shearer was a motivated side and that simply hasn't happened. Dowie seems to do the technical side of things, so you have to ask yourself what Shearer adds to the equation and whether that's enough for us as a club. He'd obviously get better with experience, I do believe he has some potential, but the question is: do we have the time to wait and find out? I don't think we do.

Steve Coppell is one of the most grounded and logical managers in the game, plus he has a good Championship record, I'd be reasonably happy to see him here if Shearer refuses.

Coppell couldn't cope with being manager of Man City, he'd crumble like a flake at Newcastle.

Eight games is obviously a short period to judge a manager over, but that's exactly my f***ing point: Number of games as a manager when Shearer was appointed? ZERO. You can't really have a go at me for judging him too soon, when you've obviously made the opposite conclusion based upon even less evidence, or in fact, none whatsoever. I'm basing my opinion on eight games during which I've seen little sign that Shearer is ready to be our manager yet. Maybe he will be at some point in the future, but I don't think we as a club can afford to be the laboratory in which that experiment is conducted. If he wants to be the manager of NUFC, let him go off somewhere else and prove that he's the right man for the job first. In the meantime we should get ourselves a good manager who has already done so, one who has demonstrated that in a lot more than zero - or even eight! - games.

He hasn;t even made a signing yet, in those 8 games he has played Liverpool, Chelsea, Villa away, Spurs away, Stoke (one of the best home records in the league) away, and the winnable fixtures we drew against an in-form Portsmouth, won against Boro - where he made great substitions, and lost because of a mistake against Fulham where we played most 2nd half with 10 men.

Widely accepted that he has brought discipline into the club, is working really hard to get it right.  Has very high standards and has always been a natural leader.  Some pretty good qualities to have in a manager right there.  Most managers should get at least a season by the way.. Zola didnt do well in his first 10 games O0

So kneejerk away.

You need to learn the meaning of the phrase "knee-jerk decision", once you've done that go back and have a look at my posts on this subject and see if it applies to me. In case you're unable to do either of those things for whatever reason, I'll give you a clue: it doesn't. O0

Nobody's saying he hasn't done some things better than they were being done before he arrived, well at least, not me. He may well have the attributes to become a good manager, but we need someone who is a good manager and we need them now. We can't wait and we can't take the risk of hoping that Shearer will become a good manager in case he doesn't. Like I said before let him prove it somewhere else first whilst we employ someone who already has.

You're opinion is based upon emotion, not fact; and if Alan Shearer wasn't Alan Shearer, then you wouldn't be arguing this with me and you know it.

Regardless of whether Shearer stays on or not, I think it's good that he's clearly going to tell those in charge what he thinks of the club, the setup and the players. I don't think he'll pull any punches.

I agree.

He definitely says all the right things, I don't dispute that.

So kneejerk away.

You need to learn the meaning of the phrase "knee-jerk decision", once you've done that go back and have a look at my posts on this subject and see if it applies to me. In case you're unable to do either of those things for whatever reason, I'll give you a clue: it doesn't. O0

Nobody's saying he hasn't done some things better than they were being done before he arrived, well at least, not me. He may well have the attributes to become a good manager, but we need someone who is a good manager and we need them now. We can't wait and we can't take the risk of hoping that Shearer will become a good manager in case he doesn't. Like I said before let him prove it somewhere else first whilst we employ someone who already has.

You're opinion is based upon emotion, not fact; and if Alan Shearer wasn't Alan Shearer, then you wouldn't be arguing this with me and you know it.

How can you tell he isnt a good manager now though, he has only had 8 games.  We are in process of rebuilding no matter how good the manager is it won't click right away with .. about 8 new players at least and probably as much leaving.

You have seemingly judged him already after just 8 games, imo thats pathetic.  Against very tough opponents with players who have proved inept over past few seasons he didnt provide the miracle you may have obviously expected of him.  He should be given a fairer crack of the whip as after all managers, no matter how experienced or inexperienced, should be given at least a season.

..he hasn't even had a transfer window to bring in his own players

We should stick with him because a) stability, b) he's shown that he can learn from his mistakes, c) he will be ruthless and unsentimental and lastly, because from everything I've heard from him, he knows what he wants and what he's doing.

I do think, however, that Ashley should offer him the full-time job tomorrow and give Shearer a few days to decide. Get a manager in before mid-June so whoever's managing us will have some time to think about the squad.

I also think that Shearer has to take some blame for the ineptness shown in the past few matches. These guys are shit, we knew that. But they could and did have some good passages in certain matches because they were properly motivated and hungry. They weren't in the past two matches and Shearer's gotta take some responsibility for that. The gutless performance today is partially on Shearer's ability to motivate the team (or lack thereof).

as usual, good points. there are some bright things in there, and some worries, though at the moment there no more than hints at what he'll be like. his true character will emerge next season, the stuff about putting an arm around xisco is stuff learned elsewhere from robson venables etc, the real man management style will come from within and emerge without him really knowing it. i would like him to bring in someone else instead of Dowie, but now that we're in the championship his style of football will probably be an asset. and as much as we love him, there was no improvement in the football was there? and he did make some ricks in the beginning, going with the pointless 3-5-2. steep learning curve, but if ashley backs him to remould the squad he should be good enough to do like roy keane and get us close up to the top of that division.

Regardless of whether Shearer stays on or not, I think it's good that he's clearly going to tell those in charge what he thinks of the club, the setup and the players. I don't think he'll pull any punches.

100% agree Dave, and its about time someone steped up and told them, like joe or Chris had the balls to do that...

Indi your posts are spot on.

The majority of the posts in this thread are deeply embarassing. I'm glad someone agrees this 'Shearer can do absolutely no wrong - ever' mindset is utter bollox.

Indi your posts are spot on.

The majority of the posts in this thread are deeply embarassing. I'm glad someone agrees this 'Shearer can do absolutely no wrong - ever' mindset is utter bollox.

Not sure anyone's claimed that tbh.