Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Indi your posts are spot on.

The majority of the posts in this thread are deeply embarassing. I'm glad someone agrees this 'Shearer can do absolutely no wrong - ever' mindset is utter bollox.

Not sure anyone's claimed that tbh.

You musn't have been reading this thread then.

It's at this point that I'd just like to remind us all of the brutal fact that Joe Kinnear remains the de facto manager of Newcastle United, and that Alan Shearer has only been a caretaker manager.

It's at this point that I'd just like to remind us all of the brutal fact that Joe Kinnear remains the de facto manager of Newcastle United, and that Alan Shearer has only been a caretaker manager.

Actually JFK only had a contract until the end of the season, so at this point in time we have no manager.

Thought the substitutions today were bad, we were getting murdered in midfield and he took our only player with legs off and put on a left back in order to move Duff into midfield, why?

Why didn't he bring on Jonas? I know he's not exactly been setting the world alight recently, but his energy might have added something that we were missing and who knows what might have happened.

I'm sorry, but I've not seen anything from Shearer to suggest that he's going to be a good manager for us. I wish we'd just stop f***ing about with novelty managers/Geordie messiahs/whatever and just appoint a good f***ing manager. Stop trying to create a fairytale and start trying to create a football club. We need to move back into the real world and if this season doesn't open people's eyes to that then I don't know what will.

What we need to do now is to start planning for the future of this football club and doing what it takes to make sure that it's a damn sight better than the present. Tough decisions need to be made, people need to stop worrying what the fans/press/rest of the country thinks and get on with what needs to be done, this is no time for sentiment and emotion, realism and logic and hard work are what's required. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen, is it! We're going to spend the summer wallowing in emotion and self pity and lashing out at anyone we can find to fill the role of scapegoat, not giving a s*** if we're ripping the club apart whilst we do so, killing the thing we're supposed to love, making things worse not better, and deluding ourselves about a whole host of things. Just like we've been doing all season long.

That's the most depressing thing for me, the total inability to learn from our mistakes, that's the first thing that needs to change. I hope it does.

8 games is probably just about the the right of time to judge a new manager! Who inherited a squad FFS.

We should get rid of the guy who genuinely cares and loves the club because he only won a single game and made some bad substitions.. jesus wept.

Erm, sorry to break this to you, but we don't get any points for him loving the club.

Eight games is obviously a short period to judge a manager over, but that's exactly my f***ing point: Number of games as a manager when Shearer was appointed? ZERO. You can't really have a go at me for judging him too soon, when you've obviously made the opposite conclusion based upon even less evidence, or in fact, none whatsoever. I'm basing my opinion on eight games during which I've seen little sign that Shearer is ready to be our manager yet. Maybe he will be at some point in the future, but I don't think we as a club can afford to be the laboratory in which that experiment is conducted. If he wants to be the manager of NUFC, let him go off somewhere else and prove that he's the right man for the job first. In the meantime we should get ourselves a good manager who has already done so, one who has demonstrated that in a lot more than zero - or even eight! - games.

He hasn;t even made a signing yet, in those 8 games he has played Liverpool, Chelsea, Villa away, Spurs away, Stoke (one of the best home records in the league) away, and the winnable fixtures we drew against an in-form Portsmouth, won against Boro - where he made great substitions, and lost because of a mistake against Fulham where we played most 2nd half with 10 men.

Widely accepted that he has brought discipline into the club, is working really hard to get it right. Has very high standards and has always been a natural leader. Some pretty good qualities to have in a manager right there. Most managers should get at least a season by the way.. Zola didnt do well in his first 10 games O0

So kneejerk away.

You need to learn the meaning of the phrase "knee-jerk decision", once you've done that go back and have a look at my posts on this subject and see if it applies to me. In case you're unable to do either of those things for whatever reason, I'll give you a clue: it doesn't. O0

Nobody's saying he hasn't done some things better than they were being done before he arrived, well at least, not me. He may well have the attributes to become a good manager, but we need someone who is a good manager and we need them now. We can't wait and we can't take the risk of hoping that Shearer will become a good manager in case he doesn't. Like I said before let him prove it somewhere else first whilst we employ someone who already has.

You're opinion is based upon emotion, not fact; and if Alan Shearer wasn't Alan Shearer, then you wouldn't be arguing this with me and you know it.

How can you tell he isnt a good manager now though, he has only had 8 games. We are in process of rebuilding no matter how good the manager is it won't click right away with .. about 8 new players at least and probably as much leaving.

You have seemingly judged him already after just 8 games, imo thats pathetic. Against very tough opponents with players who have proved inept over past few seasons he didnt provide the miracle you may have obviously expected of him. He should be given a fairer crack of the whip as after all managers, no matter how experienced or inexperienced, should be given at least a season.

..he hasn't even had a transfer window to bring in his own players

No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

I can't tell whether he's a good manager or not, and neither can you. That's the whole point. I keep explaining this to you, but you refuse to understand what I'm saying.

I am NOT saying that Shearer will not be a good manager, as I do not know.

I AM saying that I don't think we have the time to find out the answer to that question.

I AM saying that having an unproven manager in charge of NUFC is a risk and that the position we now find ourselves in means that it's a risk that we should not be taking.

You appear to be saying that we should stick with an unproven manager and give him the opportunity to prove himself just as we are about to enter a period in the club's history that would represent a huge challenge to even the best and most experienced of managers, even if we hadn't just been relegated to the Championship.

Therefore the only person who seems to have made up their mind about the appropriateness of Alan Shearer being our manager at this moment in time seems to be you, and the only reason I can see for you having done so is because he is Alan Shearer! Are you really expecting me to believe that you would be saying the same things if he wasn't? Like I said you've made your decision based upon emotion and emotion alone, there's no logic to it because you have no evidence to base that logic upon. There's nothing wrong with a bit of emotion, but unfortunately emotion on it's own simply isn't going to cut it for us at the moment.

I never expected a miracle from him, I had no expectations of him whatsoever. The reason I had no expectations is because I - like everyone else - had no experience of what he'd be like as a manager for the simple fact that he never had been a manager. I was hoping that he'd at least be able to instil a bit of fight into the team and I was praying that would be enough to keep us up, at the very least I was expecting us to go down fighting. I had very low expectations of him as a manager and unfortunately even those haven't materialised. I don't blame him for what's happened, I respect him for at least trying, same as I do for Kinnear, but we need more than that now. There are no sure things in football, but I think we need to get ourselves a better option than a completely unproven novice manager with no track record, whoever he is.

According to you KK was and still is to blame. Can't take anything you type seriously.

:lol:

Possibly the most ironic post ever made.

Just for the record, what I actually have said is that Keegan is one of many people who have had a part to play in what has happened to us this season. That's the reality, although I know that won't matter much to you.

According to you KK was and still is to blame. Can't take anything you type seriously.

Do you take what Shearer says seriously? Because he said today that 'Kevin' is also to blame.

Do you know what happened September 2nd? Some evidence would be lovely, thanks.

Ashley's made mistakes, no doubt, but a lot of other people have made mistakes.

:lol:

Possibly the most ironic post ever made.

Just for the record, what I actually have said is that Keegan is one of many people who have had a part to play in what has happened to us this season. That's the reality, although I know that won't matter much to you.

I hate you all.

For those who can't see the videos:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/24/newcastle-relegation-alan-shearer

Alan Shearer demands Newcastle overhaul following relegation

• Alan Shearer calls for big changes after relegation

• 'Players need to go, players need to come in'

Alan Shearer last night admitted that there are "huge problems" within Newcastle United and called for "big changes" to be made in the wake of yesterday's relegation to the Championship. Newcastle's temporary manager gave no assurances that he plans to remain in charge following the end of his eight-game reign but revealed he will hold talks with Mike Ashley this week when he will discuss his own position and also urge the club's embattled owner to oversee an extensive overhaul at St James' Park.

Shearer made no excuses after Damien Duff's own-goal condemned Newcastle to defeat at Aston Villa and a return to ­English football's second tier, alongside ­Middlesbrough and West Bromwich Albion, for the first time in 17 years. The former Newcastle striker claimed that ­everyone, from those involved at boardroom level to the players and the four managers who have taken charge at St James' Park at various stages of this season, had to accept a share of the blame for failure.

With Hull City losing at home to Manchester United on an afternoon when all four relegation-threatened clubs failed to pick up a point, a draw would have been enough to preserve Newcastle's top-flight status but a toothless second-half ­performance at Villa Park was emblematic of their dreadful season. "I said to the players that workrate-wise I can't really fault you. But the simple fact of the matter is that inside the dressing room it hasn't been good enough," said a crestfallen Shearer. "I include myself in that, Joe [Kinnear], Chris [Hughton], Kevin [Keegan] and Mike [Ashley]."

"We have not been relegated today," Shearer added. "We have been relegated over the whole season because we haven't been good enough. We haven't given those magnificent supporters enough to shout about. We have let them down. It's a football club I love. You've seen what it means to our fans. I am hurting. I am raw inside. But the simple fact is that big mistakes have been made and we're now paying the price for that."

Shearer claimed that he has had little time to consider whether he would like to continue in the job full-time and it appears that much could depend on the responses he receives when he sits down with Ashley and Derek Llambias, the chairman, to discuss a plan to revive Newcastle's fortunes. "There are a ­million questions that need to be answered," he said. "A hell of a lot needs to change. Players need to go, players need to come in and those guys [Ashley and Llambias] need to decide where the football club is going to go."

The former England captain made no attempt to paper over the cracks. "There are huge problems at the football club," he added. "It's not just about today. It's gone on this season, last season, four ­seasons ago. It's the culmination of ­everything. Decisions need to be made sooner or later whoever it is [in charge] because, forgive the expression, but every day that goes by another room is burned down and ­everyone gets a head start on the football club. I'll give my opinion and it's up to [Ashley and Llambias] where they want to go."

There is little doubt that the supporters are behind Shearer, who walked over to applaud the vociferous travelling ­contingent at the final whistle. It was notable that not every Newcastle player did the same and, without naming individuals, Shearer admitted that some of the squad had underperformed this season. "I said to them in the dressing room that I'm not sure that everyone has played to their maximum this year for whatever reason. But I take my share of the blame. I accepted the eight-week job thinking that I could get the results."

The scorelines elsewhere could not have gone better for Newcastle, with Hull, Sunderland and Middlesbrough all losing. Ricky Sbragia resigned from his post as Sunderland manager immediately after defeat by Chelsea, while Phil Brown, whose side were beaten by a Darron Gibson goal, sympathised with Shearer's plight. "Do I have some sympathy for Alan Shearer? Of course I do," said the Hull manager. "I have empathy for any manager who gets relegated. It's gone to the wire. He's given it his best shot but unfortunately he has failed."

Shearer, in truth, was not looking for any words of consolation. The Newcastle manager admitted that Villa's goal, which arrived after Duff diverted Gareth Barry's wayward 30-yard shot beyond Steve Harper, was "cruel" but said that no one at St James' Park could feel any grievance with the chastening final outcome. "In the end, the three worst teams deserve to go down. We can't complain about today. I had a sneaky feeling that Manchester United would go to Hull and win but we couldn't do our job and that sums the ­season up."

it sounds like he wants it, now it's up to ashley to man up and get serious about the football club

shearer's hurt will be a huge motivation for him to do well, as will his lack of trophies at NUFC. he'll want to put that right.

For those who can't see the videos:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/24/newcastle-relegation-alan-shearer

Alan Shearer demands Newcastle overhaul following relegation

• Alan Shearer calls for big changes after relegation

• 'Players need to go, players need to come in'

Alan Shearer last night admitted that there are "huge problems" within Newcastle United and called for "big changes" to be made in the wake of yesterday's relegation to the Championship. Newcastle's temporary manager gave no assurances that he plans to remain in charge following the end of his eight-game reign but revealed he will hold talks with Mike Ashley this week when he will discuss his own position and also urge the club's embattled owner to oversee an extensive overhaul at St James' Park.

Shearer made no excuses after Damien Duff's own-goal condemned Newcastle to defeat at Aston Villa and a return to ­English football's second tier, alongside ­Middlesbrough and West Bromwich Albion, for the first time in 17 years. The former Newcastle striker claimed that ­everyone, from those involved at boardroom level to the players and the four managers who have taken charge at St James' Park at various stages of this season, had to accept a share of the blame for failure.

With Hull City losing at home to Manchester United on an afternoon when all four relegation-threatened clubs failed to pick up a point, a draw would have been enough to preserve Newcastle's top-flight status but a toothless second-half ­performance at Villa Park was emblematic of their dreadful season. "I said to the players that workrate-wise I can't really fault you. But the simple fact of the matter is that inside the dressing room it hasn't been good enough," said a crestfallen Shearer. "I include myself in that, Joe [Kinnear], Chris [Hughton], Kevin [Keegan] and Mike [Ashley]."

"We have not been relegated today," Shearer added. "We have been relegated over the whole season because we haven't been good enough. We haven't given those magnificent supporters enough to shout about. We have let them down. It's a football club I love. You've seen what it means to our fans. I am hurting. I am raw inside. But the simple fact is that big mistakes have been made and we're now paying the price for that."

Shearer claimed that he has had little time to consider whether he would like to continue in the job full-time and it appears that much could depend on the responses he receives when he sits down with Ashley and Derek Llambias, the chairman, to discuss a plan to revive Newcastle's fortunes. "There are a ­million questions that need to be answered," he said. "A hell of a lot needs to change. Players need to go, players need to come in and those guys [Ashley and Llambias] need to decide where the football club is going to go."

The former England captain made no attempt to paper over the cracks. "There are huge problems at the football club," he added. "It's not just about today. It's gone on this season, last season, four ­seasons ago. It's the culmination of ­everything. Decisions need to be made sooner or later whoever it is [in charge] because, forgive the expression, but every day that goes by another room is burned down and ­everyone gets a head start on the football club. I'll give my opinion and it's up to [Ashley and Llambias] where they want to go."

There is little doubt that the supporters are behind Shearer, who walked over to applaud the vociferous travelling ­contingent at the final whistle. It was notable that not every Newcastle player did the same and, without naming individuals, Shearer admitted that some of the squad had underperformed this season. "I said to them in the dressing room that I'm not sure that everyone has played to their maximum this year for whatever reason. But I take my share of the blame. I accepted the eight-week job thinking that I could get the results."

The scorelines elsewhere could not have gone better for Newcastle, with Hull, Sunderland and Middlesbrough all losing. Ricky Sbragia resigned from his post as Sunderland manager immediately after defeat by Chelsea, while Phil Brown, whose side were beaten by a Darron Gibson goal, sympathised with Shearer's plight. "Do I have some sympathy for Alan Shearer? Of course I do," said the Hull manager. "I have empathy for any manager who gets relegated. It's gone to the wire. He's given it his best shot but unfortunately he has failed."

Shearer, in truth, was not looking for any words of consolation. The Newcastle manager admitted that Villa's goal, which arrived after Duff diverted Gareth Barry's wayward 30-yard shot beyond Steve Harper, was "cruel" but said that no one at St James' Park could feel any grievance with the chastening final outcome. "In the end, the three worst teams deserve to go down. We can't complain about today. I had a sneaky feeling that Manchester United would go to Hull and win but we couldn't do our job and that sums the ­season up."

Like I said, he says all the right things, I just don't think we can take the risk of waiting to see if he's capable of turning those words into actions. Still, if he does remain as manager I'll be hoping - along with everyone else - that he can.

it sounds like he wants it, now it's up to ashley to man up and get serious about the football club

shearer's hurt will be a huge motivation for him to do well, as will his lack of trophies at NUFC. he'll want to put that right.

He has to stay, I hope he stays, but the record of the current lot doesn't inspire me. sorry.

He has to stay, I hope he stays, but the record of the current lot doesn't inspire me. sorry.

:sadnod:

A part of me fully believes the bit where he said he'd not even discussed going beyond the eight games, despite many people assuming it was just being said to keep the focus on the games.

They're fucking clueless.

Shearer will be here in August.

I would love that. Can't see it.

Why?

Because you think he'll be the best manager we could get, if so what makes you think this?

or:

Because he's Alan Shearer.

Guest helios_centric

Surely Ashley must look to keep Shearer in the job. If not Shearer then who? I really don't see a feasible alternative because we need the fans totally behind the team from day one next season and a disappointing appointment instead of Shearer would most likely end in tears.

The crux of the matter as far as I'm concerned is Ashely and Shearer reaching a sensible agreement over a budget. I don't think Shearer is naive enough to walk in and ask him for £50 million, but I do think he needs some raw material to work with. I just hope Shearer stays but I'm not holding my breath.

As long as we know tmrw thats all the matters, we need a new coach or shearer staying confirmed straight away.

Whether we would actually be best keeping Shearer rather than going for someone else is a good question. Depending on whom we would get there can be many pros and cons for both.

I cant see anyone matching Shearers love, commitment and working knowledge of the club/area on the other hand we could surely find a more qualified experienced coach that would excite both the crowd and the players.. generally with us though if you dont have or soon aquire the first three points that shearer has, you dont succeed here or last with the fanbase long.

Surely Ashley must look to keep Shearer in the job. If not Shearer then who? I really don't see a feasible alternative because we need the fans totally behind the team from day one next season and a disappointing appointment instead of Shearer would most likely end in tears.

The crux of the matter as far as I'm concerned is Ashely and Shearer reaching a sensible agreement over a budget. I don't think Shearer is naive enough to walk in and ask him for £50 million, but I do think he needs some raw material to work with. I just hope Shearer stays but I'm not holding my breath.

I think it's sad that the whole concept that the fans wouldn't be behind the team from day one by default, is even considered a credible one. Is everyone going to stop supporting NUFC if Alan Shearer isn't our manager at the beginning of next season? I know they're not, but there is definitely a kind of xenophobia at our club which hinders our progress because anyone deigned not to have a "true" bond to the club is always treated as an outsider and therefore doesn't get the same treatment as those who are considered to have.

Shearer will be here in August.

I would love that. Can't see it.

Why?

Because you think he'll be the best manager we could get, if so what makes you think this?

or:

Because he's Alan Shearer.

If you were a Man Utd fan and had it your way i am willing to bet Ferguson wouldnt have lasted long.

Shearer (for the most part) unites the fans, always has been a leader, loves the club has had very difficult fixtures, not even a transfer window yet.  If he was seen to be good enough for a relegation dogfight why now should we appoint someone better .. and i ask who is better out there?  If Roy Keane, Mick McCarthy could get teams promoted its achievable for most. 

Also noting we have more resources than every other club in the league.