Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

When are Man Utd or Arsenal going to be relegated?

No comparison whatsoever there man.

What, you mean that when their present managers leave they're not going to have to appoint a new one? Of course there's a comparison. They'll have to make a decision about who's going to be their manager and you can bet your bottom dollar that a sentimental attachment with the club won't come very high on their list of requirements for the role.

Yeah, and why's that?

Oh aye, because they'll have the pick of the world's best managers who will be willing to crawl over broken glass to manage them. How is that in any way comparable to us? ???

What, you mean that when their present managers leave they're not going to have to appoint a new one? Of course there's a comparison. They'll have to make a decision about who's going to be their manager and you can bet your bottom dollar that a sentimental attachment with the club won't come very high on their list of requirements for the role.

A fair number of Man Utd fans would like Roy Keane to manage them one day or Steve Bruce.

But it doesn't matter. The point indi's making is that sentimentality shouldn't be a requirement for being our manager. If Shearer ticks the other boxes then fine, appoint him. But don't appoint him because he ticks the sentimentality box.

It's like when KK was hired, everyone was happy but the appointment was obviously based on sentiment. And look where we got with that. Indi's saying be logical and ruthless, and have a proper criteria (based on past success, based on 'reputation', based on football his team's have played, based on success in transfer market etc.) for appointing managers which doesn't include sentimentality.

We won't have the best managers from the world wanting to manage us but we will, for sure, have people interested in us. What indi is saying is that he hopes the board doesn't judge these other managers based on sentimentality, but judge them based on a proper criteria.

It shouldn't be a requirement, I totally agree on that. But in this situation there's not a lot else we can go on, and certainly not with these clueless fucks in charge.

The big teams never have to rely on sentimentality because all the best managers want to be there. We don't have that luxury in any way, shape or form.

At the end of the day I just want some continuity and stability as I said before - ironically this is also something usually present at the top clubs. That means sticking with the manager we 'have' now. The last thing we need is another change, with another set of ideas and plans, another set of sacking and hiring backroom staff etc etc.

Indi your argument has really changed a fair bit from:

I'm sorry, but I've not seen anything from Shearer to suggest that he's going to be a good manager for us

No it hasn't.

Ye totally has, you got that opinion after 8 games and in your own words he learns from his mistakes and can spot things that aren't working.. so this suggests he's not 'going to be a good manager for us' does it?

Now you have seemed to put that on the back burner and your point now is there are other managers out there.  Ok true, like who?  Fans would be on their back because majority would want Shearer to stay on.  Is that good for the club .. no!  We need stability, Shearer has the backing of most of us we will give him time.

I think bringing him in for a relegation dogfight was a more critical time for the club tbh.  We are in the worst case scenario, let us rebuild under the guy.  Let him have his own team.

Again, you've missed the point of what I am saying!!

I am saying that I want the club to put some thought into the appointment of the next manager.

I am saying that I am not convinced that Shearer is the best man for the job of manager of NUFC at this moment in time. Just because I have used different words to say that doesn't change the conclusion, "nothing", "not enough", "too little", whatever, it doesn't matter, the end result is that he has not done enough to prove to me that he's the right man for the job, or that we could not go out and find someone better. I am unconvinced, the level of my unconvincedness is irrelevant, I either am, or I am not.

"Stability"? I've seen numerous people make the argument that what we need is a good manager and that that will lead to stability, it's no good being stable but shit, and they're right. A few of those people are now in this thread arguing against me suggesting that we should go out and get the best manager that we possibly can, and using stability as a justification for that. Strange that.

Damine Duff sums it up perfectly in his post match interview. He wants Shearer to stay because "it has been a proper football club for the last 8 weeks".

Even though the results and performances didnt arrive in time, I'm confident given more time in the role he would have kept us up. By all accounts he did everything right behind the scenes. Made one or two questionable decisions on match days but nothing that would have drastically changed the course of our season.

Damien Duff's opinion holds weight around here now, does it?

Don't most people think he should be one of the first out the door?

I think it's pretty poor form to claim you're being attacked btw. I've seen nothing that's beyond simple disagreement.

Apologies, if that's how it came across, I wasn't meaning people were attacking me personally, rather that people are attacking my opinion, yet not backing up their own. No-one's really made an extensive positive case for Shearer as manager, yet many people have taken the time to disagree with my view that he might not be.

How about a huge majority of our supporters support him want him to continue.  Will give him time to turn this team around and rebuild under him.  Been a winner all his carear, great leadership skills.  Players respect him.  Hasn't been long out of the game, idolized by alot of the younger players,  knows what the fans expect.  Been coached by some of the best managers in the Premier League era.

Now i think i have seen you suggest Steve Coppell.. wouldn't be an inspired choice, ok he has led a promotion campaign but not alot more. 

Are you sure that there's no-one else out there that could offer that, the equivalent, or more? Are you so sure that you don't even want to have a look and see?

It was Dave that mentioned Coppell, I said I thought he was a decent manager, but that the pressure would get to him at SJP.

I don't want them to look for someone else, in all honestly.  Not because it's Shearer, its because we need stability and our record of chopping and changing managers is frankly appalling.

Fans want him here, he wants to be here, whole nation thinks he should be given the job.  If we appoint him, we would appear to be settled have our house somewhat in order.  Even if we spend a year in championship, we would have given the guy a chance -and move on.

I am pretty confident with him here, he's going to get rid of the right people replace them with what we need and mount a serious promotion campaign.  So i'm all for the guy.

We could have had stability by giving Kinnear a permanent contract though, I doubt many would have supported that.

If you're happy with appointing Shearer, so happy that you don't want to even consider looking at someone else then fine, I don't understand how you can be so sure given the lack of evidence, but I guess that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Don't use the stability argument though, please.

But it doesn't matter. The point indi's making is that sentimentality shouldn't be a requirement for being our manager. If Shearer ticks the other boxes then fine, appoint him. But don't appoint him because he ticks the sentimentality box.

It's like when KK was hired, everyone was happy but the appointment was obviously based on sentiment. And look where we got with that. Indi's saying be logical and ruthless, and have a proper criteria (based on past success, based on 'reputation', based on football his team's have played, based on success in transfer market etc.) for appointing managers which doesn't include sentimentality.

We won't have the best managers from the world wanting to manage us but we will, for sure, have people interested in us. What indi is saying is that he hopes the board doesn't judge these other managers based on sentimentality, but judge them based on a proper criteria.

Thank you. Exactly.

A fair number of Man Utd fans would like Roy Keane to manage them one day or Steve Bruce.

And you think they'd be right to appoint either of those two, when they could have anyone in the world?

Yeah, and why's that?

Oh aye, because they'll have the pick of the world's best managers who will be willing to crawl over broken glass to manage them. How is that in any way comparable to us? ???

I'm not arguing that the level of manager available to them is the same as it is to us though, man. :D

It shouldn't be a requirement, I totally agree on that. But in this situation there's not a lot else we can go on, and certainly not with these clueless fucks in charge.

The big teams never have to rely on sentimentality because all the best managers want to be there. We don't have that luxury in any way, shape or form.

At the end of the day I just want some continuity and stability as I said before - ironically this is also something usually present at the top clubs. That means sticking with the manager we 'have' now. The last thing we need is another change, with another set of ideas and plans, another set of sacking and hiring backroom staff etc etc.

Weren't you making the point that the media and everyone else could fuck off for saying that we hired and fired our managers at the drop of a hat and that it was no use being stable under someone crap? If you were (which you were) then you were right, why've you changed your opinion now?

Weren't you making the point that the media and everyone else could fuck off for saying that we hired and fired our managers at the drop of a hat and that it was no use being stable under someone crap? If you were (which you were) then you were right, why've you changed your opinion now?

I don't believe Shearer to be crap though. ???

He's the best man in our current situation. We're relegated, we have no time for a new guy to come in and assess the squad. We need someone who knows who's good and who's bad, and which areas need fixing and which areas are fine.

If we could get Rijkaard then go for it. I'd obviously want the club to sound out some other managers if Shearer refuses, but because of the situation that we're in and based on what Shearer's actually shown, I think Shearer's the best man for the job.

Edit: I'd obviously like the board to actually think about other candidates too, and not just think 'If Shearer says no then we go back to Kinnear'.

Too much sentiment, not enough ruthlessness. We should be sounding out people now, not waiting for Shearer to decide and then doing it, if we can get someone better then we should do so. Strange that no-one was bothered about sentiment when it was Kinnear who was in the hot-seat, the bloke was in hospital after a heart attack and everyone was hoping that it was going to mean us getting someone else in. Just because Shearer's probably better than Kinnear, doesn't mean that there's not someone better than him out there who'd come, we have and opportunity to find out, we should take it.

You know, the more I think about it the more I realise that you're right inid...it may be sentimentality driving my support for Shearer as manager, but then again it's sentimentality that has driven my love for Newcastle United all along. I see nothing wrong with being sentimental about things, certainly when it comes to deciding who you're going to appoint as the icon of leadership for the club to steer it through some inevitably difficult times.

You're a fan, you're allowed to be sentimental - although I do think we as Newcastle fans do over-do it sometimes ;). When it comes to actually running the club it takes more than that though. Do you think Man U will be sentimental when they have to replace Fergie? How much chance do you think Tony Adams has of taking over from Wenger at Arsenal?

Holding up Man Utd as the paradigm is ridiculous mate - their size and scale puts them on a different planet. It's like comparing WALMART to the Happy Shopper chain.

They'll get Jose Mourinho in when Fergie goes, and even then you can be sure Taggart will be hovering around in a Busby stylee for a good few years post-retirement.

All I'm saying is that Shearer makes sense given that we've had a dozen different managers in the past 10 year which has been a major component factor in causing instability in the team, in the club and in the fanbase. You want to rebuild anything that's as dilapidated as this club is right now, you need foundations, and not just any old foundations, but foundations that the bricks and mortar of this club (i.e. the fans) can relate to.

It's not ridiculous at all, as the same situation held true when they appointed Fergie in the first place, that wasn't a sentimental decision was it and they weren't the all consuming megaglobalcorp behemoth that they are now then. Arsenal the same, they've both gone out and found the best man for the job and then stuck with them, that's what we should do. Other smaller clubs have done this and all, it's just that when they do it eventually a big club comes along and robs their manager off them and they have to start all over again. We were the eighteenth best team in one of the best leagues in the world, are you really saying that of all the managers at all the clubs in the world who are below us in the pecking order, there's no-one who might be worth considering before we go with someone who's got no track record?

Shouldn't you actively believe that he's good to want him as manager though?

"Alan Shearer: he's not crap." is hardly putting forward a water-tight case for his appointment. ;)

"Alan Shearer: he's not crap." is hardly putting forward a water-tight case for his appointment. ;)

What? I simply responded to your post about something I've probably said before. Why would I want a crap manager out if I don't think he's crap?

I've already admitted I'm not going on much. It just feels right to me, and I couldn't give a flying fuck if that's overly sentimental. I was against Keegan coming back too btw, if you want to look it up.

He knows what this club is about, knows what's required and has got his foot in. I'm therefore prepared to see the club give him a go, because I don't see us attracting anyone a great deal better even if those in charge had the gumption to try.

What? I simply responded to your post about something I've probably said before. Why would I want a crap manager out if I don't think he's crap?

I've already admitted I'm not going on much. It just feels right to me, and I couldn't give a flying fuck if that's overly sentimental. I was against Keegan coming back too btw, if you want to look it up.

He knows what this club is about, knows what's required and has got his foot in. I'm therefore prepared to see the club give him a go, because I don't see us attracting anyone a great deal better even if those in charge had the gumption to try.

Alright mate, no worries, I'm tired now and I know you've been honest about why you're supportive to his appointment, so I'm not going to argue with you. I'm basically trying to distract myself from what's happened today and this thread has allowed me to do that, so thanks everyone. O0

Alan Shearer fucked up for one,by not starting Enrique.If he's fit enough fir the bench,then he should've been fit enough to start.2nd mistake.pitting Edgar against Ashley Young.Pickinmg Kevin Nolan-he was blowing after just 10 mins..disgrace.

Alan Shearer fucked up for one,by not starting Enrique.If he's fit enough fir the bench,then he should've been fit enough to start.2nd mistake.pitting Edgar against Ashley Young.Pickinmg Kevin Nolan-he was blowing after just 10 mins..disgrace.

To be fair, Edgar did ok. If young wasn't a cheating cunt he would have done even better. Agree about Jose though.

Aside from his merits as a manager, we need him because the alternative is oblivion.

If Shearer and Ashley can't compromise and Shearer walks out, it will no doubt be a messy situation that results in protests -> Ashley shits his pants again -> tries to sell -> we spend precious months in the summer in limbo with no manager.

Better that Shearer just takes the job and gets on with it from day one.