Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

I might be wrong.  As I say I'd had a few.  But I looked at the thread a few times and thought that you'd changed the amount that you posted.  I was probably wrong.  Just ignore me!

broadsheet this morning was saying the delay is largely down to ashley's financial people going over shearer's demands and checking they're "financially viable"

this makes the most sense to me regarding the delay, i honestly think ashley would want shearer as manager and will now probably do what he can to make that happen (for the reasons stated elsewhere about him being fucked if he doesn't, nothing else) but shearer is not a financial expert so if he's demanding 'x' amount in transfer fees over 'x' amount of years and 'x' amount in wages then i can understand that needing to be checked against what is viable for the club as we know ashley isn't a bottomless pit of money

this will probably be construed as ashley arse-licking or something but relegation doesn't REMOVE the need for financial prudence, it becomes more pertinent now and plans need to be made, plus contingency plans in the event we don't come up etc...

shearer will be the manager, i feel sure of that now - to me talks wouldn't have lasted so long if they just rejected what he was asking for a la keegan...this is the most important decision the club has faced in many years so i for one would rather they take their time and get it right rather than rush into it only to see it collapse

I know I'm a bit pissed but I'm sure the amount Dalgleish spent keeps fluctuating.

On a separate note, is it really too much to expect an official update/ reassurance from the club by now?

Can't see how, like.

Just add up what was spent on players during his time as manager and deduct the amount that came in from selling players during his time as manager. I've done it before (it's in my sig) but I just checked it again. £7.65m.

Do you think he spent more, or less than that?

7 649 999.99p

I might be wrong.  As I say I'd had a few.  But I looked at the thread a few times and thought that you'd changed the amount that you posted.  I was probably wrong.  Just ignore me!

Got you. My mistake, mate.

It's been that long since I've been on here I hadn't even looked at my own signature!! When I first replied I just had a guess at it of around £8m to £10m or so. When I then spotted it in my own signature I changed it. I hadn't even had a drink either...  :cheesy: I've now double-checked it and I'm pretty sure it's £7.65m, so I'm still sure what point Madras is trying to make by mentioning it, unless he's arguing with himself, like.

I know I'm a bit pissed but I'm sure the amount Dalgleish spent keeps fluctuating.

On a separate note, is it really too much to expect an official update/ reassurance from the club by now?

Can't see how, like.

Just add up what was spent on players during his time as manager and deduct the amount that came in from selling players during his time as manager. I've done it before (it's in my sig) but I just checked it again. £7.65m.

7 649 999.99p

I'm sure that difference would be important to Fat Ash.

Can't see how, like.

7 649 999.99p

Big difference really,  7649999.99p = £76499.9999

broadsheet this morning was saying the delay is largely down to ashley's financial people going over shearer's demands and checking they're "financially viable"

this makes the most sense to me regarding the delay, i honestly think ashley would want shearer as manager and will now probably do what he can to make that happen (for the reasons stated elsewhere about him being f***ed if he doesn't, nothing else) but shearer is not a financial expert so if he's demanding 'x' amount in transfer fees over 'x' amount of years and 'x' amount in wages then i can understand that needing to be checked against what is viable for the club as we know ashley isn't a bottomless pit of money

this will probably be construed as ashley arse-licking or something but relegation doesn't REMOVE the need for financial prudence, it becomes more pertinent now and plans need to be made, plus contingency plans in the event we don't come up etc...

shearer will be the manager, i feel sure of that now - to me talks wouldn't have lasted so long if they just rejected what he was asking for a la keegan...this is the most important decision the club has faced in many years so i for one would rather they take their time and get it right rather than rush into it only to see it collapse

Spot on that there is no need to rush, I would rather they got it right this time.

this makes the most sense to me regarding the delay, i honestly think ashley would want shearer as manager and will now probably do what he can to make that happen (for the reasons stated elsewhere about him being fucked if he doesn't, nothing else) but shearer is not a financial expert so if he's demanding 'x' amount in transfer fees over 'x' amount of years and 'x' amount in wages then i can understand that needing to be checked against what is viable for the club as we know ashley isn't a bottomless pit of money

Good post.

I'm sure that this coming year the club had predicted a £7mil loss after Cashley had pumped £20mil into the club to keep it afloat.

Surely that figure has increased exponentially, due to relegation.

They are all doing the prudent thing and working on the finances. Otherwise the concequences could be dire indeed.

Guest neesy111

Yep lets not forget we have funds due from last year

that's very true, we're due around 20 million like

Yep lets not forget we have funds due from last year

that's very true, we're due around 20 million like

Ashley *stares at the ground sheepishly and kicks the dirt*: "Errrm.....about that..."

Thing is I really think Shearer wants to fix this club. He isn't KK, I don't think he'd abandon us like that.

:idiot2:

Keegan didn't abandon the club, he was forced out by Ashley.

Had this argument before, he walked out on us. Not for the first time either.

Well, all your current effort means is you've failed to learn anything from this previous argument you had assuming someone of intelligence tried to get the obvious into your heed.

Fact is, any manager worthy of the name is not going to be happy without control over which players come in and which players go out. The club is in my blood but I'd walk away if I was working under those conditions. Only a spineless tw*t wouldn't and only a moron would expect someone to work under those conditions.

Cheers

is that why he went first time round then ?

Which first time are you referring to ?   The time when we were in the second division and SJH had promised him funds and lied to him or the time when we were floated on the stock exchange and the priorties of the board changed from team building to making cash for themselves?

For the last time, SJH did NOT lie to Keegan about giving him funds when we were in Div 2 - KK wanted to buy Kilcline, and SJH was going to fund the purchase by a PERSONAL injection of cash ; the club's Bankers, wanted to impound that cash to pay off some of the club's debts...SJH had to send someone down to the bank to argue the case, and that held up the deal ; KK then walked out on the eve of our game with Swindon, and was persuaded to return by Terry Mac later that afternoon.

He DID leave after the Swindon game, but was talked into returning by SJH on the Sunday....

I had a conversation with SJH on the very day that the Bank tried to impound the money(250,000), and BEFORE all this happened, so I know the background to it all - KK took the view, rightly or wrongly, that the problems with the Bank were nothing to do with him, but they clearly were because if the Bank intended to try to grab SJH's personal funds when they were fo team-building, then NOBODY was going to win - it had to be sorted out...

Also, making the club into a PLC had nothing to do with being a money-making venture for the board, although it ended up that way ; Man U, for example, were also a PLC and they did OK ; if more fans/businesses had pursued a policy of buying shares(as Shepherd did), then they also would have made money AND raised it for the club - there wasn't enough interest and it wasn't the first time a share issue was snubbed by the fans ; SJH forced one on McKeag in 1990, but it failed through lack of take-up - so much for the club being 'owned by its fans' like Barca....

Guest sicko2ndbest

Alan Shearer: Ready for the Championship test

May 30 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Add a commentRecommend ALAN SHEARER has insisted that Newcastle United must face life in the Championship “head on” after their devastating relegation to second-tier football.

Shearer feels that the Magpies have a major responsibility to their fans next season and the time has come for action not words.

This week Shearer met with Toon top brass to give them his opinions over what needs to be done to move the club on after the season from hell.

And reflecting of the beginning of Newcastle’s aftermath, Shearer told the Chronicle: “It was a quiet dressing room at Villa Park

“I said one or two things but what can we do now?

“It's happened and we have to face the challenge head on and see where we go.”

Toon fans have quite rightly vented their spleen over Mike Ashley’s running of affairs at St James’s Park during his two year stint so far.

And speaking on the fans, Shearer said: “They have been magnificent. They probably get fed up of me saying how magnificent they are and other people saying it too.

“They really are though and they have been badly let down.

“They are now having to face the consequences of having to watch their team in the Championship. That is not a nice feeling for them. I understand how they feel.”

Just seven days ago United still had a chance of keeping their heads above water.

But a feeble attempt at Villa means they will be instead be hosting the likes of Plymouth, Barnsley and Blackpool.

Shearer says he is still wounded by the team’s attempts to get a point at Villa.

He said: “That is hurting still. I knew everybody was going on about Man United's team. I knew they would have a chance of getting a result and they did.

“But the most painful thing is that we couldn't help ourselves.”

Can't see how, like.

7 649 999.99p

Big difference really,  7649999.99p = £76499.9999

I thought it was 1p, like.

Thing is I really think Shearer wants to fix this club. He isn't KK, I don't think he'd abandon us like that.

Well, all your current effort means is you've failed to learn anything from this previous argument you had assuming someone of intelligence tried to get the obvious into your heed.

Fact is, any manager worthy of the name is not going to be happy without control over which players come in and which players go out. The club is in my blood but I'd walk away if I was working under those conditions. Only a spineless tw*t wouldn't and only a moron would expect someone to work under those conditions.

Cheers

Which first time are you referring to ?   The time when we were in the second division and SJH had promised him funds and lied to him or the time when we were floated on the stock exchange and the priorties of the board changed from team building to making cash for themselves?

the time he actually walked when some restraints were put on him....every manager has some restraints,some are higher than others.

Do u really think he wanted to leave? For f***s sake we had just came off a second place finish and looking good to win it.

KK had to commit to 4 years with circumstational changes and didnt feel he could promise he would be there that long. In came Dalglish to do the job KK was expected to do - balance the books to keep the shareholders happy.

looking good to win it ? oh no we weren't.

have a check at how much dalglish spent.

circumstances change all the time and managers leave before their contracts are up all the time.

are you saying keegan left first time round because he wasn't going to be able to spend without hinderance.

£7.65m.

What's your point?

the point is that he was given money to spend,very much like keegan at the start, little bits then (had they kept him)probably larger bits) when you look at it we've gone through spells of spend spend spend then scrimp scrimp scrimp as if we had no set plan.

Cheers

the time he actually walked when some restraints were put on him....every manager has some restraints,some are higher than others.

Do u really think he wanted to leave? For f***s sake we had just came off a second place finish and looking good to win it.

KK had to commit to 4 years with circumstational changes and didnt feel he could promise he would be there that long. In came Dalglish to do the job KK was expected to do - balance the books to keep the shareholders happy.

looking good to win it ? oh no we weren't.

have a check at how much dalglish spent.

circumstances change all the time and managers leave before their contracts are up all the time.

are you saying keegan left first time round because he wasn't going to be able to spend without hinderance.

£7.65m.

What's your point?

the point is that he was given money to spend,very much like keegan at the start, little bits then (had they kept him)probably larger bits) when you look at it we've gone through spells of spend spend spend then scrimp scrimp scrimp as if we had no set plan.

No. You seem to be claiming that nothing changed, that Keegan was wrong to believe he would be restricted in the transfer market. You cite the spending of Dalglish as evidence that this wasn't the case but that clearly doesn't stand up when you look at the deficit between buys and sales. You did advise to look at the spending of Dalglish so I've done that. Dalglish had to sell, simple as that. So things did change, Keegan was correct when he said he could take the club no further. I believe he was undermined by Ashley and that's why he left the last time. People can slag him all they like but they're basically wrong. He did the right thing and Shearer should do the same if Ashley refuses to back him. Ashley is 100% to blame for the present state of the club, nobody else, just him.

I became bored in the past of people muttering on about directors of football, about plans and about how shite it was to finish in the top 5 for 3 seasons in a row, well, Ashley appears to have a plan and it looks like it's scrimp scrimp relegation scrimp scrimp. Are you happy with this plan? It is a plan, after all.

notw, would rather trust a s*** tbh

Denis Wise?

It's not so much that it's in the NOTW, people are believing it because David Craig said the information behind the story came from very credible sources

http://football.uk.reuters.com/premiership/news/5B992674-4D61-11DE-8F66-D57A80FAE618.php?rpc=401&

LONDON, May 30 (Reuters) - Ireland midfielder Damien Duff is convinced Alan Shearer will carry on as Newcastle United manager next season to mastermind their campaign for an immediate return to the Premier League.

"There is only one man to get us back and that's Alan Shearer, so I am sure it will be him. I am sure he will take the job," Duff told Reuters.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has spoken to Shearer about replacing Joe Kinnear as full time manager, despite the ex-Magpies striker failing to ensure the club's escape from relegation.

Whoever takes charge next season will be dealing with a much changed squad.

"There will obviously be a massive clear out," Duff said after Ireland's friendly draw with Nigeria on Friday. "There are budgets in the Championship.

"I'm sure the gaffer (Shearer) knows who cares about the club and who wants to stay and who is going to work to get back out of the Championship."

For Duff, who has already pledged his future to the club, Newcastle's relegation was the second of his career after he suffered the same fate with Blackburn Rovers in 1999.

"I've done two years in the Championship before with Blackburn and it didn't really effect me," he said.

"From Newcastle's point of view, (they will go) straight back up. They belong in the Premiership, so just one season in the Championship hopefully."

http://football.uk.reuters.com/premiership/news/5B992674-4D61-11DE-8F66-D57A80FAE618.php?rpc=401&

LONDON, May 30 (Reuters) - Ireland midfielder Damien Duff is convinced Alan Shearer will carry on as Newcastle United manager next season to mastermind their campaign for an immediate return to the Premier League.

"There is only one man to get us back and that's Alan Shearer, so I am sure it will be him. I am sure he will take the job," Duff told Reuters.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has spoken to Shearer about replacing Joe Kinnear as full time manager, despite the ex-Magpies striker failing to ensure the club's escape from relegation.

Whoever takes charge next season will be dealing with a much changed squad.

"There will obviously be a massive clear out," Duff said after Ireland's friendly draw with Nigeria on Friday. "There are budgets in the Championship.

"I'm sure the gaffer (Shearer) knows who cares about the club and who wants to stay and who is going to work to get back out of the Championship."

For Duff, who has already pledged his future to the club, Newcastle's relegation was the second of his career after he suffered the same fate with Blackburn Rovers in 1999.

"I've done two years in the Championship before with Blackburn and it didn't really effect me," he said.

"From Newcastle's point of view, (they will go) straight back up. They belong in the Premiership, so just one season in the Championship hopefully."

I suppose that depends on whether or not you and your team-mates continue to play like a bunch of useless shitbags, Damo.