Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

BBC seem to think that he's being offered a four year deal as we speak.

No evidence for me that he'll be a good appointment, but its best to just get on for the ride.

No evidence for me that he'll be a good appointment, but its best to just get on for the ride.

agree with this, and with oldtype - think we're at the point where a personality is going to have to dominate the people owning/running the club and shearer is the man to do this...should these talks not go well i'm scared to think what might happen and who might get appointed

personally i'd like to see him bring in a more experienced manager alongside him than dowie, but then dowie at least knows the league i suppose

Llambias: We're 110% sure we want Shearer

May 26 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

MIKE ASHLEY is fighting tooth and nail to make sure Alan Shearer is the man to lead Newcastle United’s Championship revival.

The Toon tycoon is keeping his fingers crossed that United will be able to unveil Shearer as permanent Toon boss by Thursday.

The Chronicle revealed yesterday that Shearer will be offered a four-year deal to turn the Magpies’ ailing fortunes around.

Talks between Shearer, Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias got under way today with the legendary former No 9 warning that United are already way behind the rest of their new Championship counterparts in terms of planning for next season.

On June 17, Toon fans will learn where their first game in the second tier will be, with the season starting on August 8.

And if all goes to plan for Ashley, Shearer will have his troops back for pre-season training on July 1.

Details of United’s pre-season programme and friendlies are expected to come to light this week.

Shearer said on Sunday night that he wasn’t even sure if the current regime wanted him to stay.

But Llambias told the Chronicle today: “We want him to be the manager 110%. He’s very good at what he does and he’s a straight-talking guy – we like that.

“He’d be the perfect appointment.

“Talks will start today and we are going to review the situation.

“We are trying to sort something and we’ll give the public some information as soon as possible.

“Alan has put a lot of work into the job at Newcastle and we're talking to him now.”

Shearer has already made it crystal clear that Newcastle must make “big changes” and he is talking about a major overhaul of the squad.

United must get to grips with a £74m wage bill which includes 15 players who earn more than £50,000 per week.

However, the Chronicle understands the entire squad is NOT transfer-listed.

Indeed, with a clutch of Championship clubs desperate to sign young guns like Andy Carroll, Nile Ranger, Tim Krul, David Edgar and Kazenga LuaLua and Tamas Kadar, before he broke his leg, United will be keen to put faith in their fresh-faced talent who are keen to put themselves on the map.

And Shearer, who said he wanted to fill the club with “people who love it”, is thought to be determined to hold on to stars like Habib Beye, Sebastien Bassong, Steven Taylor and Steve Harper to build a team that his capable of coping with life in the second tier.

Llambias added: “We’ve still got some good players here as well, but it is between ourselves and Alan what happens here at the moment.

“We can’t talk too much about any of that at the moment until we know what direction we are going.”

Shearer was back at the training ground yesterday, but as it stands both Big Al and Joe Kinnear’s contracts have now expired, and United are managerless.

However, hopes are high on Tyneside that Shearer is the man entrusted with rebuilding the Magpies.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/05/26/llambias-we-re-110-sure-we-want-shearer-72703-23712323/

Guest firetotheworks
Sir John Hall

"Now we are saddled with a huge wage bill. The lesson here is obvious: you can't take on yesterday's men and hope to survive. That's for a club with no ambition."

:lol: UH...OHHHHHH!

Honestly, I think this is the best route we can go and I really hopes he signs the deal.

We all know alan inside out and hes also able to attract names to the club too, which will be vital in the championship.

We just need Ashley to make some kind of statement now, we need to know where the club is heading so we can all pull together.

Guest ovesbar

Good news! If Shearer signs, I believe he would have got the promises he needed by Ash & Co.

If he does not, we'll know that they have fucked up yet again, and who would take the job then? (Not saying that Shearer signing means that they won't fuck up again though.)

What concerns me is not that Ashley and co will not agree to Shearer's demands, but that they will agree to them and then fail to see them through.

I can see them wanting Shearer to keep the fans off their backs and to get season tickets sold, basically. Probably until they fuck off.

What concerns me is not that Ashley and co will not agree to Shearer's demands, but that they will agree to them and then fail to see them through.

I can see them wanting Shearer to keep the fans off their backs and to get season tickets sold, basically. Probably until they fuck off.

I hope Shearer is there with his lawyer, tbh, and gets everything written into his contract. He must refuse to be mugged off with 'promises' and get written word that he will have total responsibilty in those areas he demands it.

I hope Shearer is there with his lawyer, tbh, and gets everything written into his contract. He must refuse to be mugged off with 'promises' and get written word that he will have total responsibilty in those areas he demands it.

Does it being in his contract really mean anything though? Keegan and his lawyer obviously don't think so.

Guest optimistic nit

not much evidence that he wont either, and the alternative is kinnear/ calderwood/ hughton and fuck me, thats scary considering the rebuilding they'll need to do in the summer.

Get Al to sign on the dotted line & give him the mandate to be what he thinks best. He knows the club and he knows the players. I believe once he signs he'll get the players together and tell those he wants rid of to go find a club asap and for those he wants to stay and who say yes he'll immediately try to bond them together. Those players who are non committal will go if decent money comes.

Al has to be brutal with the current squad - 15 players earning over 50k per week is horrendous & just shows we have some real shit earning obscene money. If relegation is a path to stop paying stupid money and building a proper team I'm more than happy to spend a year in the Championship. Been there before and that path is preferable to another few years struggling in the PL stuck with most of these players.

Even if we don't go up at the first time of asking so long as we are building correctly I'll still be reasonably happy. I'm trying not to think about Ashley in all of this. I get the feeling he will stay and that being the case I hope he has learned his lessons and becomes a proper owner. Wont stop me detesting the bloke; he has a long way to go on that one.

Guest Phil K

I agree - he's hardly proved himself in the run-in

No better than those who made the mess. Just more feeling for the side.

4 years is ridiculous, prefer a more experienced manager.

Hope I'm wrong, though

He knows what and who is wrong for NUFC as much as we do.

Guest firetotheworks

Sorry if already posted:

Alan Shearer picks out three key players to keep at NUFC

May 26 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

Alan Shearer

ALAN Shearer will begin discussions with Mike Ashley today by asking Newcastle United’s embattled owner not to include Nicky Butt, Steven Taylor and Steve Harper as part of the club’s post-relegation fire sale.

Shearer was at Newcastle’s Darsley Park training ground yesterday for a gentle conditioning session with the players responsible for ending United’s 16-year stint in the top flight – but United’s caretaker manager will begin the serious business of sorting out his future today and tomorrow.

Ashley is understood to be preparing a four-year contract offer for Shearer, as well as offering him assurances of a sizeable transfer fund if he can move the club’s big earners off the books.

Both the club and Shearer are desperate for a swift resolution to the saga so that United can begin planning for next season’s Championship campaign as soon as possible. Shearer is acutely aware that other clubs in the division have already had a fortnight to plan ahead, and said on Sunday that the job becomes more difficult with every passing day.

Shearer has mitigated that by drafting a blueprint for next season already, with the established trio of Harper, Taylor and Butt all central to his plans. As revealed in The Journal last week, the club will have to effectively transfer list every single player in their squad to cope with the financial consequences of dropping into the Championship.

And, while Shearer knows that reasonable offers will have to be listened to, he believes that Taylor, Harper and Butt are the kind of characters that the club will need as they begin their fight back.

Taylor is unlikely to be short of suitors this summer. Arsenal have kept an eye on him for several years and good performances in the Under-21 European Championships in Sweden this summer will only increase the amount of interest.

But the player, one of the few who comes out of the campaign with any credit, feels a debt of loyalty to his boyhood club. Although he admitted he would have to “play it by ear” this summer, Shearer’s permanent appointment could persuade him.

“This has devastated everybody. There have to be big changes after this and people need to realise it is an honour to play for Newcastle United Football Club – it doesn’t matter what club you are at,” he said. “You have to give it 100% and the past 10 months hasn’t been good enough. It is starting to sink in now we are a Championship team and we have to deal with it.

“We have to put ourselves back up there. St James’s Park is going to have to be a fortress.”

The consequences of relegation are likely to be devastating to a club that was already relying on handouts from Ashley to keep the books balanced. Shearer raised the prospect of the club having to make staff redundant before the crunch Aston Villa game, and they will seek to streamline operations in other ways, too.

But the vast majority of the club’s focus will be on shaving the £80m wage bill that has hung like a yoke around the club’s neck.

One player definitely not returning to St James’s Park next season will be Peter Lovenkrands, whose short-term deal with United has run out. His agent said yesterday that he wants to play Premier League football again next season, and indicated that he will be looking for another club. The Dane scored three goals during his time at Newcastle but was anonymous at Villa Park.

“We are looking for a new contract for Peter in England,” his agent Ivan Marko Benes told Bild.dk. “Most players want to play in the top division, so Peter is no different.”

Meanwhile Jonas Gutierrez will concentrate on Argentina’s forthcoming World Cup qualifiers before considering his Newcastle future.

Sorry if already posted:

Alan Shearer

ALAN Shearer will begin discussions with Mike Ashley today by asking Newcastle Uniteds embattled owner not to include Nicky Butt, Steven Taylor and Steve Harper as part of the clubs post-relegation fire sale.

Oh FFS!

Guest firetotheworks

Sorry if already posted:

Alan Shearer

ALAN Shearer will begin discussions with Mike Ashley today by asking Newcastle United’s embattled owner not to include Nicky Butt, Steven Taylor and Steve Harper as part of the club’s post-relegation fire sale.

Oh FFS!

My thoughts exactly.

:lol:

He'll be pretty decent in the Championship tbh, and his experience could prove handy in what I envisage will be a very young side.

If we come back up and he's still here, then we'll have problems.

Like or not but Butt has shown more energy in midfield than those around in these last few games. Yes it shows the crap we've got and yes his passing has been woeful but if we can get players in around him he will do a job next year. He'll win the ball and give it to somone better - he didn't have this option in the current team.

Guest The Libertine

pathetic. if he is a starter next year then on shearers head be it. fucking pathetic.

Guest Phil K

:lol:

He'll be pretty decent in the Championship tbh, and his experience could prove handy in what I envisage will be a very young side.

If we come back up and he's still here, then we'll have problems.

I agree.

We need an old experienced head with, no doubt, some young Championship lads instead of the sh*te Kinnear signings and other deadbeats who contributed nothing and picked up grossly inflated wages. With better and more determined midfield partners Butt will be 300% better and more productive.