Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Guest elbee909

What did he have to say?

Mike Ashley has phoned him asking for the kit back he threw into the crowd. Says its NUFC property and therefore he has the rights to it as part of the cost cutting

:lol:

Shepherd's phoned up to say that Robert wasting that money was nothing to do with him.

Got to say I'm getting a little worried about this now. I thought there would be an annoucement yesterday, but I expected something when I came into work this morning. Disappointed not to see anything. We are very much in a race against time so the parties need to reach some sort of agreement so or move on to the next person on their list. We can not allow this situation to ramble on, way too much work to do.

I am sure there are a lot of legal implications to draft as AS would want watertight guarantees.

If these guarantees are about money to spend on transfers and / or how many top earners have to be axed, I can't see what Ashley can do at this point. It's all going to depend on who is wanted by other clubs, who is available, what salaries they want, and what transfer fees they attract or demand. If there's cost cutting to be done, I don't see how Ashley at this stage can say yes, players a, b and c can definitely stay, and you'll have x amount of money to spend.

It boils down to trust, and if Shearer doesn't trust Ashley, then they can't work together and he should go. It worries me that we're going down the Keegan road again, with a patched-up agreement which each one will interpret in their own way.

It also worries me that so many seem to be falling into the syndrome that Matthew Syed was talking about in that article (not that I agree with absolutely everything he said) ie an unquestioning loyalty to the local hero and demonising anyone who doesn't meet their demands.

I'd like Shearer to have the job, but not at any price. At the end of the day, it's the owner / board who is responsible for the financial side.

How can Ashley not afford to appoint Shearer. Imo, so many people would not renew their season tickets it would make no financial sense not to appoint and back him.

Trouble is, as has been said, they've not got a great reputation for their cost-benefit analysis skills following on from January (and September, October, November etc...).

is anyone getting the feeling that the longer this drags on the more it is likely to turn out the way it did when we eneterd a couple of days of talks to keep keegan ?

v two days of this v

a) AS :I need to know how much can i spend on buying players.

b) MA : Ill let you know next transfer window.

c) return to a.

its stuck here ^^^^

still

Got to say I'm getting a little worried about this now. I thought there would be an annoucement yesterday, but I expected something when I came into work this morning. Disappointed not to see anything. We are very much in a race against time so the parties need to reach some sort of agreement so or move on to the next person on their list. We can not allow this situation to ramble on, way too much work to do.

I am sure there are a lot of legal implications to draft as AS would want watertight guarantees.

If these guarantees are about money to spend on transfers and / or how many top earners have to be axed, I can't see what Ashley can do at this point. It's all going to depend on who is wanted by other clubs, who is available, what salaries they want, and what transfer fees they attract or demand. If there's cost cutting to be done, I don't see how Ashley at this stage can say yes, players a, b and c can definitely stay, and you'll have x amount of money to spend.

It boils down to trust, and if Shearer doesn't trust Ashley, then they can't work together and he should go. It worries me that we're going down the Keegan road again, with a patched-up agreement which each one will interpret in their own way.

It also worries me that so many seem to be falling into the syndrome that Matthew Syed was talking about in that article (not that I agree with absolutely everything he said) ie an unquestioning loyalty to the local hero and demonising anyone who doesn't meet their demands.

I'd like Shearer to have the job, but not at any price. At the end of the day, it's the owner / board who is responsible for the financial side.

Fair post.

I would like the best possible/realistic manager for the job, it seems right now that is probably AS. The way things have gone we're going to have to take a semi-gamble on a lot of things.

How can Ashley not afford to appoint Shearer. Imo, so many people would not renew their season tickets it would make no financial sense not to appoint and back him.

Maybe that's what all this is down to, a bet.  Ashley got into a discussion with someone who claimed geordies would turn up in their thousands to watch 11 black and white shirts on a washing line.  They'd basically keep going, no matter what.  And Ashley goes "wanna bet?"

I reckon he bet about £300m or so.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ashley is willing to give Shearer the funds only after we've got rid of some of the big earners, which means Shearer won't be able to make any moves until the end of June, well and truly f***ing up our preparations for the new season. Allardyce complained about missing out on targets because of this and it would be typical short-sighted penny pinching from this Cockney wide boy regime.

One thing that has been a familiar failing of the Ashley owenership has been a lack of decisiveness when it's needed. Above all things you need someone in charge who takes the bull by it's horns and makes brave decisions. The one time he's done that for me was sacking BSA and bringing in KK, other than that he's been slow and indecisive and it's cost us dearly.

AShley has previous, KK and Shearer are pretty much trusted as they have shown in the past.

We have seen nothing from Ashley since he took over to suggest otherwise.

AShley has previous, KK and Shearer are pretty much trusted as they have shown in the past.

I agree, but that's missing the point (as I interpreted it anyway).

If we're stuck with Ashley, it'd be better for the club to have someone who can work under him. If Shearer can't do that (wouldn't blame him tbh) then it will be better for the club (presuming we can't get MA to f*ck off) to get the best option who can. So long as that option isn't the cupcake dog.

If we're stuck with Ashley, it'd be better for the club to have someone who can work under him. If Shearer can't do that (wouldn't blame him tbh) then it will be better for the club (presuming we can't get MA to f*ck off) to get the best option who can. So long as that option isn't the cupcake dog.

But who can work under him?  Can anyone? 

The secretary?  :pow:

I'm sorry but that's another load of crap for you. Quoting something that tosspot has said is bad enough but it's also completely groundless.

No manager of NUFC in my recollection has not been given a chance by supporters. Even unpopular choices like Souness, JFK, Roeder and Allardyce were not immediately hounded out of the job, they were all given a chance. 

Completely groundless, scaremongering, I honestly don't understand your obession against club legends like Shearer and KK, you've obviously got some sort of problem with it, can't understand it tbh. Credit the fans with a little more intelligence ffs, we don't think of these people as Messiah's who can do no wrong, that's media fuelled baloney.

Oh dear, i just had a vision of Llambias in a pencil skirt, stockings, high heels and a nice blouse with his pencil at the ready.

Guest firetotheworks

Oh dear, i just had a vision of Llambias in a pencil skirt, stockings, high heels and a nice blouse with his pencil at the ready.

I didn't, so thanks for the sharing the image. 

This is exactly what people were saying when they claimed any new owner or Board would automatically be better than the previous one. It was said many times that it would make no sense for anyone to take over the club and not invest in improving the team. After all, if a new owner didn't invest in the team how would that person get any return on their investment? So, ambition to challenge at the top by investing in the team was taken for granted by many people. Having assumed this was automatic they then said that we'd do great because any new owner/Board simply had to be more competent than the shower of plebs previously running the club. The club would definitely march onward and upward.   

Well it hasn't worked out that way and that's because Ashley is incompetent when it comes to football.

There's no reason to believe Ashley is going to do the right thing this time, in fact it'll be a major surprise if he does do the right thing, though to be honest, I'm concerned about how the "right thing" is defined. As supporters we see the right thing as appointing a decent manager and backing him, but I'm not convinced this is how Ashley sees things. In my opinion, the "right thing" to him was to keep the club for a few years and he'd make a killing on his investment simply by the normal economic growth in the country.  I don't think he even considered relegation as a possibility, he is so dumb about football, so he thought we'd always be in the PL.  Well he's been hit by the slump in the economy and by his own shit decisions that led to relegation. He had the chance to do something with a good manager when he appointed Keegan but he blew it by not backing him, the scenario above would explain why.

Why should it be assumed he's going to back Shearer now?

Guest toonlass

This is exactly what people were saying when they claimed any new owner or Board would automatically be better than the previous one. It was said many times that it would make no sense for anyone to take over the club and not invest in improving the team. After all, if a new owner didn't invest in the team how would that person get any return on their investment? So, ambition to challenge at the top by investing in the team was taken for granted by many people. Having assumed this was automatic they then said that we'd do great because any new owner/Board simply had to be more competent than the shower of plebs previously running the club. The club would definitely march onward and upward.   

Well it hasn't worked out that way and that's because Ashley is incompetent when it comes to football.

There's no reason to believe Ashley is going to do the right thing this time, in fact it'll be a major surprise if he does do the right thing, though to be honest, I'm concerned about how the "right thing" is defined. As supporters we see the right thing as appointing a decent manager and backing him, but I'm not convinced this is how Ashley sees things. In my opinion, the "right thing" to him was to keep the club for a few years and he'd make a killing on his investment simply by the normal economic growth in the country.  I don't think he even considered relegation as a possibility, he is so dumb about football, so he thought we'd always be in the PL.  Well he's been hit by the slump in the economy and by his own shit decisions that led to relegation. He had the chance to do something with a good manager when he appointed Keegan but he blew it by not backing him, the scenario above would explain why.

Its not assumed anything HTL, what I am saying is "in my opinion" appointing Shearer and backing him is the only real option. But I can't see Shearer signing if he isn't going to be financially backed, and be the bloke who makes the decisions. And if Ashley cannot sign Shearer is any other decent manager going to consider the job as they will have seen what has gone on before and presume that if they take the job it is going to be more of the same.

I don't think it should be assumed by any means, as he's shown himself to be pretty dense so far. However even he will have noticed the club isn't worth as much now it isn't in the premiership, and he also has surely realised that appointing Shearer is the only way of keeping the fans on-side (I know they're not on-side as such anyway, but you know what I mean).

Shearer's a smart bloke. He knows that he holds the power here and I think he'll be looking to squeeze every last ounce he can out of Ashley. I think (and hope) that that's what's causing the hold ups.

Therein lies the problem. It's best to find out now if it isn't going to work than after another season's been wasted I guess.

Its not assumed anything HTL, what I am saying is "in my opinion" appointing Shearer and backing him is the only real option. But I can't see Shearer signing if he isn't going to be financially backed, and be the bloke who makes the decisions. And if Ashley cannot sign Shearer is any other decent manager going to consider the job as they will have seen what has gone on before and presume that if they take the job it is going to be more of the same.

Though I quoted your post it was a general point that came to mind as I read your post. It's not about your post in particular.

Sorry.

Edit: I agree with what you're saying above.

Guest toonlass

Though I quoted your post it was a general point that came to mind as I read your post. It's not about your post in particular.

Sorry.

S'ok

Do you think Shearer will stay, HTL?

Not a clue, really.  Sometimes I think the time it's taking is a bad sign, sometimes a good sign.

It should be simple. You appoint a manager, give him what he wants that the club can afford and you let him run it the way he wants to run it. You give him total control over the playing, coaching and medical side of things, who goes and who comes in. That's why you appoint a manager imo. These things shouldn't even be up for discussion.

I agree with this from Mowen...

Shearer's a smart bloke. He knows that he holds the power here and I think he'll be looking to squeeze every last ounce he can out of Ashley. I think (and hope) that that's what's causing the hold ups.