Ryan Taylor/Nolan

Guest K9

Nolan > Butt

Butt made about 6 stupid fouls today and was lucky not to be booked, Nolan not much better but is an improvement.

Nolan and R. Taylor are not premier league quality...none of the so called mid-to-big teams outside the top 4 would even think about these two average players...

Newcastle is going down because WE ARE BUYING CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYERS...

Nolans just not fit enough, hes proven he has quality. You dont pass your best at 26. Not that bad a signing tbh.

Taylor is debatable, still think he could be useful backup to beye or something. Or on right wing until we have anyone better.

Guest The Libertine

we could have paid £5 million for bullard like a lot of people wanted. THAT would have been a bad deal.

Which people were they?

dont know names but if you look back, plenty of people on here wanted him.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Would Robson or Keegan have bought talentless clodders like Nolan and taylor? The answer is no, because they believed in carpet football and for that you need players who like the ball played to feet and have some ability to pass and move well. These are Joe Kinnear signings and plenty of people here were dreading him being given transfer funds for this very reason.

you say all that like keegan and SBR have never bought shit players. thats all irrelevant to my point anyway. i'd rather have a fit nolan than a badly injured bullard on twice the wages.

we could have paid £5 million for bullard like a lot of people wanted. THAT would have been a bad deal.

Which people were they?

Two wrongs don't make a right. Would Robson or Keegan have bought talentless clodders like Nolan and taylor? The answer is no, because they believed in carpet football and for that you need players who like the ball played to feet and have some ability to pass and move well. These are Joe Kinnear signings and plenty of people here were dreading him being given transfer funds for this very reason.

you say all that like keegan and SBR have never bought shit players. thats all irrelevant to my point anyway. i'd rather have a fit nolan than a badly injured bullard on twice the wages.

I think it's you who is missing the point. Bullard was over-priced but at least he is a playmaker rather than a goalscorer who plays in midfield (and doesn't score many goals). Keegan and SBR did sign some bad players but on the whole they liked to sign skilful footballers and SBR in particular always demanded they have pace. That is the point.

Nolans just not fit enough, hes proven he has quality. You dont pass your best at 26. Not that bad a signing tbh.

Taylor is debatable, still think he could be useful backup to beye or something. Or on right wing until we have anyone better.

In which game did Nolan prove to you that he has quality ?

If anyone watches Newcastle play on TV they would realise that Nolan's name gets mentioned by the commentator once or twice in 15 minutes of play...That's how much he disappears from the game !!!

Guest The Libertine

Which people were they?

I think it's you who is missing the point. Bullard was over-priced but at least he is a playmaker rather than a goalscorer who plays in midfield (and doesn't score many goals). Keegan and SBR did sign some bad players but on the whole they liked to sign skilful footballers and SBR in particular always demanded they have pace. That is the point.

but his knee is practically knackered. fulham were apparently amazed that he passed his medical and hull admitted it was a big risk. im also fairly sure i read recently he is out for at least 9 months. THAT for £5 million and 60k a week was actually my point.

Which people were they?

but his knee is practically knackered. fulham were apparently amazed that he passed his medical and hull admitted it was a big risk. im also fairly sure i read recently he is out for at least 9 months. THAT for £5 million and 60k a week was actually my point.

But we weren't going to buy Bullard in any case so your point is a bit pointless isn't it? It's like saying we are far better off buying Nolan than Dean Whitehead.

Nolan is simply living off the reputation he had at Bolton, for hitting a few stunning volleys a season.

Has a better goalscoring history than any of our other current midfielders. Around 40 goals over the last 5 season in total. As i say, 26 years old...can easily get him back to fitness. Could be a good player for us in the future.

Guest The Libertine

Which people were they?

But we weren't going to buy Bullard in any case so your point is a bit pointless isn't it? It's like saying we are far better off buying Nolan than Dean Whitehead.

i was saying that a lot of people on here wanted us to buy bullard and if we did we'd be stuck with him instead of a consistently fit player, so we could have done a lot worse than nolan.

Nolan is simply living off the reputation he had at Bolton, for hitting a few stunning volleys a season.

Has a better goalscoring history than any of our other current midfielders. Around 40 goals over the last 5 season in total. As i say, 26 years old...can easily get him back to fitness. Could be a good player for us in the future.

Oh goody. If we're relegated at least Kevin Nolan might get fit in the future :thup:

You gotta live in reality

Im not claiming hes any real use to us currently but it was probably either Nolan or no one.

So of all the players to get in such a desperate position, atleast he could be half useful in the future.

Guest Stephen927

4-3-3 would perhaps benefit Nolan, he's used to having two other central midfielders alongside him.

Thought when these two signed that they would be quite good signings, so far hasn't been too good. Was alarmed to hear McLeish had almost completed a deal for Taylor and Nolan was looking shite for Bolton before he joined us. He's just basically more of what we have in central midfield. Not as good as Barton, has an advantage of Geremi but they're both looking like their legs have gone, not as good as Guthrie, edges it with Smith and Butt has his odd good games when he's had a break so depending on circumstance I'd stick Butt in over him too.

Nolan is what he is, a panic signing because Barton went down with another injury.

Damn it's so much easier to be pessimistic everytime we sign players, then at least most of the time you are proven to be right with this football club.  :sadnod:

Im not claiming hes any real use to us currently but it was probably either Nolan or no one.

So of all the players to get in such a desperate position, atleast he could be half useful in the future.

He's slow and shit. As you say, it's better to live in reality rather than have pipe dreams of him suddenly becoming anything else.

I'd like to see Nolan play alongside someone other than Nicky Butt before i make a real judgement on him.

Yes I've noticed you and Jayson save your negative judgements for Coloccini, so you must be going easy on Nolan to compensate. Nice strategy.

He's slow and s***. As you say, it's better to live in reality rather than have pipe dreams of him suddenly becoming anything else.

That was a bit of a crap response really wasnt it. If you've an argument as to why he cannot improve his fitness or why im assuming you think hes always been crap...regardless of the fact that hes a better goalscoring record than any of our other midfielders go ahead and provide it. Not much point typing otherwise. We can all state pointless opinions based on nothing

I'd like to see Nolan play alongside someone other than Nicky Butt before i make a real judgement on him.

Yes I've noticed you and Jayson save your negative judgements for Coloccini, so you must be going easy on Nolan to compensate. Nice strategy.

Quite a few save their negative judgements for colo, this is because hes been playing crap. Not to complicated surely. Nolan is more likely to improve & hasnt cost us as many games as colo. One is clearly fit the other is not.

The thing that bothers me about Nolan is that when Ashley and Llambias were at the City match, they just went out and bought someone that was similar to Barton, rather than someone who could add something new to the team. What happens when Barton comes back?

He's slow and s***. As you say, it's better to live in reality rather than have pipe dreams of him suddenly becoming anything else.

That was a bit of a crap response really wasnt it. If you've an argument as to why he cannot improve his fitness or why im assuming you think hes always been crap...regardless of the fact that hes a better goalscoring record than any of our other midfielders go ahead and provide it. Not much point typing otherwise. We can all state pointless opinions based on nothing

I've been against Nolan's signing from the beginning although I was hoping he'd prove me wrong. I'll repeat the reasons again if you've missed them previously.

Nolan has no vision, no ability to pick a through pass, no desire to pass and move (have you seen him do any quick one-two's?) he looks overweight, and he genrally only plays for about 45 mins. Bolton fans were booing him, were delighted to get rid of him and their results have improved since he left. As an athlete, on a scale of 1-10 he'd score 3 if you were being generous. He has no pace whatsoever, no engine and his legs look shot.

Is this enough for you or do you think I'm watching a different player to you?

I agree with almost everything that Big TRon has said in this thread. He's hit an entire row of nails straight on the head, and seems to have a good understanding of the two players' ability.

never liked Nolan to be honest. Defintely one of those midfielders who gets a few goals and every thinks it makes him a great player.

As TRon said, no pace, no engine, no vision, no passing ability

In an ideal world neither him nor Butt would be allowed anywhere near SJP ever again, but the reality is they'll likely form the most important part of our team for the next 2-3 games at least

canny few people struggling to come to terms with the lowering of standards I reckon.

Still, someone like macbeth might come along and tell us how much more efficient the club is these days.