Stoke City 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 11/04/09 - Post match reaction from page 28

JH

Thought we defended well on the whole. We switched off for ten seconds and were punished, having said that it wasn't s corner.

Not sure why Shola is getting so much stick when Owen was bad if not worse.

He was at fault for the goal, he was s**** when he was on the ball, his work ethic was s**** when he didn't for 3.

He looked absolute garbage today, didnt put himself about at all. 6 foot what 2-3 and cant head a ball? Championship quality at best.

Some good Q & A provided today.

Question:

I cant believe we had 60% possession. Shirley there's been some kind of mistake?

Answer:

We had a lot of possession, that was clear. It gave the illusion that we were constantly under it because everytime they had the ball they got a set piece or throw in  & next thing you know we're all bricking it.

They didnt actually have the ball at their feet very much atall.

Guest firetotheworks

They did fuck-all second half, and I'm not sure if possession counts when the ball is dead and they're taking about 30 seconds for every set play (throws included).

If it was, then it would have been about 80-20 in their favour. Fucking cunts.

We had a lot of possession, that was clear. It gave the illusion that we were constantly under it because everytime they had the ball they got a set piece or throw in  & next thing you know we're all bricking it.

It's not surprising at all though. They're a bunch of two bit thugs that grind out results by knocking the shit out of their opponents, and that's how they'll survive.

I used to have a positive ish attitude towards Stoke, due to their history and whatnot, but after this game I really do wish they'd go down.

They did f***-all second half, and I'm not sure if possession counts when the ball is dead and they're taking about 30 seconds for every set play (throws included).

If it was, then it would have been about 80-20 in their favour. f***ing c***s.

Stoke were really dire. Goes to show how bad we were in the first half and how you dodnt have to be up to much to be a mid table side. I reckon the PL has some really poor sides in it this year.

It's not surprising at all though. They're a bunch of two bit thugs that grind out results by knocking the shit out of their opponents, and that's how they'll survive.

I used to have a positive ish attitude towards Stoke, due to their history and whatnot, but after this game I really do wish they'd go down.

Their fans are cunts as well. Anyone see the situation where they threw something at Raylor? Action has to be taken by the FA imo.

Nice one Ashley,  nice one Shearer.  3-5-2 , WTF we aint even played that formation for about 3 years.  

Shola, what a turd.  

Well atleast we couldn't blame Colo for the goal today.

:kinnear:  :dowie:

:dowie:

What do you expect Owen to do when the ball is constantly launched up to him and constantly lumped high into the box whenever we get within 40 yards of their goal? I'm sorry but you're fucking off your head if you expect him to do anything against Shawcross and Faye. Wise the fuck up.

This is the way we've played the entire season. So, I ask you, what is the best thing for a team that has not one player that can pick out a past, not one winger that can deliver an awesome cross and a team that's sorely lacking the pace that's needed to rip teams apart and create easy chances? Do you still want Owen playing, jogging around the pitch trying to steal a goal which hasn't looked coming for what, 2 months? Or do you drop him because, however good his finishing is, he just doesn't fit in with the personnel available? We don't create the chances that Owen feeds off. We really don't create any chances, so what I'm saying is drop Owen, put someone in who will contribute to the 'team play', something that Owen apparently doesn't acknowledge this season, and make sure the team plays better because that's the only way the team will be able to get the points needed to survive.

Look, one of the truest cliches in football is that if you don't lose the ball, the opposition can't score. So, we need to keep the ball better. Owen doesn't help us do that. We are effectively a 10 man team every minute he's on the pitch. That's why we can't keep possession, that's why we don't stretch teams and because of the constant pressure that our defence is under because the whole team can't keep possession, we conceded more than our fair share of silly goals.

It's not surprising at all though. They're a bunch of two bit thugs that grind out results by knocking the s*** out of their opponents, and that's how they'll survive.

Their fans are c***s as well. Anyone see the situation where they threw something at Raylor? Action has to be taken by the FA imo.

I've only ever been there once and what a shi+hole.  Horrible place.

I gave up hope when I saw Shola walking on the pitch

tell me about it.  He werent even match fit, even if he was he still would have played like bambi lost in the field.  :dowie:

Carroll proving his worth now, He has got to start the remaining games. Gutierrez also, a different team with Carroll and Gutierrez.

Agreed. We got to shake up central mid too (Barton is CRUCIAL). When is he back??

J Barton Metatarsal Fracture 19th Apr 09

according to physioroom.com.

However Nolan and Butt need to sharpen up, giving away the ball with sloppy, EASY passes all the time. And Raylors set-pieces is so bad its unfair to us that have to watch. But i belive Shearer/Dowie already knows this, and hopefully we can see an improvement and get a typical win a Whitehart next week.

Previously it had 11th of April as his return date, obviously he didn't make it today so its moved the return date to the Spuds game.  Once a players injury is healed Physio room will probably just keep moving the date back to the next game until he plays so I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

One things for sure, we need to be certain that when we bring him back we're not putting him in the position to just get injured again.  We NEED him for those three home games.

He's not even back in full training yet though.

exactly why the hell did he start,  i wouldn't start that muppet even if he was fully fit which baffles me.  :kinnear:

It's not surprising at all though. They're a bunch of two bit thugs that grind out results by knocking the s*** out of their opponents, and that's how they'll survive.

Their fans are c***s as well. Anyone see the situation where they threw something at Raylor? Action has to be taken by the FA imo.

I've only ever been there once and what a shi+hole.  Horrible place.

Did I totally imagine one of their players taking at least three corners with the ball placed well outside the corner area? (including the corner for their goal).

I agree by the way that in general they're fans are a right bunch of cretins.  Probably the worst I've ever come across.

I was more unhappy with shearer's long ball plan (to shola and owen ffs!!) than his formation. Most of our performance today was sicking to watch. No urgency, no passion, no half footballing brain (at one point stoke had a thrown near their corner flag and all we could do was to drop back and allowed them to get out of it easily.). If we go down then i will never ever forgive shola ameobi. He was brought in the team to add a bit of height (probably), but his attemps to mark faye was SHIT!!!SHIT!!!SHIIIIIIIIIIIT!!! :dave:

Thank you so much andy caroll.....shola would never have scored that header that you put away expertly. Nice one, son!

What do you expect Owen to do when the ball is constantly launched up to him and constantly lumped high into the box whenever we get within 40 yards of their goal? I'm sorry but you're fucking off your head if you expect him to do anything against Shawcross and Faye. Wise the fuck up.

This is the way we've played the entire season. So, I ask you, what is the best thing for a team that has not one player that can pick out a past, not one winger that can deliver an awesome cross and a team that's sorely lacking the pace that's needed to rip teams apart and create easy chances? Do you still want Owen playing, jogging around the pitch trying to steal a goal which hasn't looked coming for what, 2 months? Or do you drop him because, however good his finishing is, he just doesn't fit in with the personnel available? We don't create the chances that Owen feeds off. We really don't create any chances, so what I'm saying is drop Owen, put someone in who will contribute to the 'team play', something that Owen apparently doesn't acknowledge this season, and make sure the team plays better because that's the only way the team will be able to get the points needed to survive.

Look, one of the truest cliches in football is that if you don't lose the ball, the opposition can't score. So, we need to keep the ball better. Owen doesn't help us do that. We are effectively a 10 man team every minute he's on the pitch. That's why we can't keep possession, that's why we don't stretch teams and because of the constant pressure that our defence is under because the whole team can't keep possession, we conceded more than our fair share of silly goals.

Don't disagree with most of that but who else is there? Shola - fucking terrible. Xisco - Dead. Ranger - Honestly?

Don't disagree with most of that but who else is there? Shola - fucking terrible. Xisco - Dead. Ranger - Honestly?

All jokes aside, Ranger has seemed very impressive at Reserve and U18 level.

You forgot Carroll though.

:spit:

Owen is very very unselfish, and he keeps possession (or well, keeps up the ball and wins it back) better than almost any other on our team.

Though if another front two could do better, I'd not be against dropping Owen. It's just, as ElDiablo said, who's to step up?

:spit:

Owen is very very unselfish, and he keeps possession (or well, keeps up the ball and wins it back) better than almost any other on our team.

Its not that Owen's selfish, but when he isn't scoring he really doesn't contribute much to our attacking play.

I'm not saying he never will (he certainly did in the 4-3-3) but he isn't at the moment.

Their fans are cunts as well. Anyone see the situation where they threw something at Raylor? Action has to be taken by the FA imo.

Docked points, hopefully. :shifty: