'Choosing my EPL team'

Dave

I thought Broon Ale was only popular in New York, looks like I was wrong

It's everywhere, hell, I was out with some gay mates of mine in that gay district in San Fran the other year, and they had it on tap.

What else was available on tap that day? ;)

it's everywhere in california, they even have newcastle brown trucks.

i remember reading this article on here a while back, i think the london location tipped it for spurs, though ironically that would be my reason for ruling them out. the london clubs' traditional fan base (ie white working class) has been scattered over far flung suburbs and the home counties whereas clubs like newcastle still have a closer bond to the fanbase and more of a connection with place. it's why you don't see mongish spurs fans (and there's enough of them about) outside their stadium when sky sports roll in, they generally live miles away from WHL.

tho you'd have to be a sadist to suggest a neutral begins following NUFC. it's all pain, no gain.

I remember emailing him while he was deciding and telling him why he should support Newcastle. :blush:

But yeah, he chose Spurs and then never mentioned football again, so the hell with it/him.

You'll be surprised how influential this piece was. Simmons is almost certainly the most widely read sportswriter in the US, or at least among the most widely read nationwide. For many younger fans, the 2006 World Cup was their first real introduction to the global game, and literally by the thousands, they picked up the Premier League after that. As I've written before, this article was the first time I'd ever heard of NUFC, and was the main reason I started to learn more about Newcastle and eventually became a fan. (Sometimes I regret the day this ever happened). I was looking for a reason to become a real fan, and this was the perfect excuse to get involved. For Americans with no ties to England, getting into the league that was clearly exploding in popularity stateside would have been difficult otherwise. I personally know at least 15 friends that wanted to become fans and used this particular article as the launching point. Many simply opted for a Big 4 team due to the exposure (mostly Arsenal and Liverpool), disregarding the fact that they would be called a bandwagoner by Simmons. Others actually simply followed Simmons advice and latched onto Spurs (I know a few of these people myself). Personally, I immediately was attracted to Newcastle, as they seemed to have a history and following similar to the other teams I support. So, looking back on it now, I realize how misguided and "American" it seems, but it was certainly among the most important sports articles of the last decade regarding soccer for Americans.

I can relate to this.  I never knew this article existed until today but I have to admit I used the same basic method to choose Newcastle as the team I would support.  Plus the fact that there is "stottie" bread (which is almost like my last name) clinched the deal.  I've watched English football off and on since the 70s (WPIX in NYC used to have a prepackaged game of the week show) and quite a bit more since the advent of FSC.  I couldn't watch these games any more without picking a team to root for and Newcastle was a natural fit.  I actually feel bad because me rooting for a professional team is like the kiss of death.  The New York Mets and New York Jets are heartbreaking teams to root for.  Poor management, epic choke jobs and dreams of glory dashed upon the rocks have become routine.  I mean, you guys can blame me for Allardyce and the ensuing mess simply because I started rooting at that time.

And I know you guys will never look at me as a true fan.  I'm not a fan like you when it comes to Newcastle but I am a fan like you when it comes to the American teams I grew up with.  I've lived and died with the Mets and Jets for 40 years so I know how you feel about your team.  Quite frankly, if Newcastle are relegated I would never be able to root for someone else.  Even after just a couple of years i could never turn away because I've already invested too much emotionally to walk away.  That's the kind of fan I am.

All I have to say is thank God for the UConn Huskies because after 20 years of rooting for them, they ve given me two NCAA championships in the last decade.  I guess I'm not a total loser   O0

it's everywhere in california, they even have newcastle brown trucks.

i remember reading this article on here a while back, i think the london location tipped it for spurs, though ironically that would be my reason for ruling them out. the london clubs' traditional fan base (ie white working class) has been scattered over far flung suburbs and the home counties whereas clubs like newcastle still have a closer bond to the fanbase and more of a connection with place. it's why you don't see mongish spurs fans (and there's enough of them about) outside their stadium when sky sports roll in, they generally live miles away from WHL.

tho you'd have to be a sadist to suggest a neutral begins following NUFC. it's all pain, no gain.

NYC:

http://image59.webshots.com/159/9/80/54/2882980540050430172aBIhur_ph.jpg

Dunno where this one is:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1085/1234221817_79beb27bde.jpg

You'll be surprised how influential this piece was. Simmons is almost certainly the most widely read sportswriter in the US, or at least among the most widely read nationwide. For many younger fans, the 2006 World Cup was their first real introduction to the global game, and literally by the thousands, they picked up the Premier League after that. As I've written before, this article was the first time I'd ever heard of NUFC, and was the main reason I started to learn more about Newcastle and eventually became a fan. (Sometimes I regret the day this ever happened). I was looking for a reason to become a real fan, and this was the perfect excuse to get involved. For Americans with no ties to England, getting into the league that was clearly exploding in popularity stateside would have been difficult otherwise. I personally know at least 15 friends that wanted to become fans and used this particular article as the launching point. Many simply opted for a Big 4 team due to the exposure (mostly Arsenal and Liverpool), disregarding the fact that they would be called a bandwagoner by Simmons. Others actually simply followed Simmons advice and latched onto Spurs (I know a few of these people myself). Personally, I immediately was attracted to Newcastle, as they seemed to have a history and following similar to the other teams I support. So, looking back on it now, I realize how misguided and "American" it seems, but it was certainly among the most important sports articles of the last decade regarding soccer for Americans.

I can relate to this.  I never knew this article existed until today but I have to admit I used the same basic method to choose Newcastle as the team I would support.  Plus the fact that there is "stottie" bread (which is almost like my last name) clinched the deal.  I've watched English football off and on since the 70s (WPIX in NYC used to have a prepackaged game of the week show) and quite a bit more since the advent of FSC.  I couldn't watch these games any more without picking a team to root for and Newcastle was a natural fit.  I actually feel bad because me rooting for a professional team is like the kiss of death.  The New York Mets and New York Jets are heartbreaking teams to root for.  Poor management, epic choke jobs and dreams of glory dashed upon the rocks have become routine.  I mean, you guys can blame me for Allardyce and the ensuing mess simply because I started rooting at that time.

And I know you guys will never look at me as a true fan.  I'm not a fan like you when it comes to Newcastle but I am a fan like you when it comes to the American teams I grew up with.  I've lived and died with the Mets and Jets for 40 years so I know how you feel about your team.  Quite frankly, if Newcastle are relegated I would never be able to root for someone else.  Even after just a couple of years i could never turn away because I've already invested too much emotionally to walk away.  That's the kind of fan I am.

All I have to say is thank God for the UConn Huskies because after 20 years of rooting for them, they ve given me two NCAA championships in the last decade.  I guess I'm not a total loser   O0

You're lucky-I have the Mets and Jets, as well as the Knicks, Islanders, Newcastle, and Penn. In my lifetime of about 23 years, not a single one has ever won. Heartbreak is my way of life. But I'm with you in that at this point, I'm too invested emotionally to ever be able to root for someone else. I may not have ever been to Newcastle, but with modern technology (watching games at Nevada Smith's and through other means, and this forum), I'm able to live and die with the team as much as anyone, thus putting me on a tier only below those who live and die with them AND go to all the games. It's amazing how a club can do that to you so quickly, in a span of just a few short years.

:thup: It's only my second year of affiliation, but I must say I am quite happy with the level of success.

:lol: s***, I thought it was my negative Buffalo Bills and Knicks karma that killed the party. It was you!

Oh God, don't get me started on the Knicks.  Isiah nearly killed them for me.  I'm almost to the point where I can watch them without gagging.

2010! Cheer for the Cavs to win and then just keep 2010 in your heart.

:lol: Isiah was some shit though.

:thup: It's only my second year of affiliation, but I must say I am quite happy with the level of success.

haha, I started following them when the Big East started in 79.  I used to listen to them on the radio as St John's, Nova, Cuse, Gtown, etc used to thump them.

All those years made winning it all in '99 so damn sweet.  The Mets winning in 86 was sweet.  If the Jets ever climb the mountain again, it will have all been worth it. 

You're lucky-I have the Mets and Jets, as well as the Knicks, Islanders, Newcastle, and Penn. In my lifetime of about 23 years, not a single one has ever won. Heartbreak is my way of life. But I'm with you in that at this point, I'm too invested emotionally to ever be able to root for someone else. I may not have ever been to Newcastle, but with modern technology (watching games at Nevada Smith's and through other means, and this forum), I'm able to live and die with the team as much as anyone, thus putting me on a tier only below those who live and die with them AND go to all the games. It's amazing how a club can do that to you so quickly, in a span of just a few short years.

OMG, Islanders.  That says it all.  They are bereft of hope right now. I feel for you. As I said above stick with it.  When they do win (if they don't move on you), all the agony and pain gets washed away in seconds.  At that moment it will have all been worth it.

Then the next season starts and the pain begins again  :mackems:

Id love to bring one of you overseas fans along with me and the lads on the piss on a matchday, particularly an away day. You'd be made more than welcome.

-Meet at the pub at 7am for a fry up and a pint while watching the half asleep stripper get her flange out on the pool table.

-Onto the bus about 9am ish depending on where we are playing.

-Sink numerous cans on said bus and indulge in a sing song and mickey taking.

-Take over one of the locals pubs for more drink and singsong.

-Rock up to the ground, go mental, (endure the match :lol:) then back onto the bus, laugh at the people who didnt make it back aboard and are thus stranded hundreds of miles from home, then back up to gods country.

You'll certainly not regret choosing NUFC then!  :thup:

Id love to bring one of you overseas fans along with me and the lads on the piss on a matchday, particularly an away day. You'd be made more than welcome.

-Meet at the pub at 7am for a fry up and a pint while watching the half asleep stripper get her flange out on the pool table.

-Rock up to the ground, go mental, (<b>endure the match</b> :lol:) then back onto the bus, laugh at the people who didnt make it back aboard and are thus stranded hundreds of miles from home, then back up to gods country.

:lol:

Thirded.

How glad am I that my father had left Central CT State for UConn by the time I was born.

-Rock up to the ground, go mental, (endure the match :lol:) then back onto the bus, laugh at the people who didnt make it back aboard and are thus stranded hundreds of miles from home, then back up to gods country.

I think you've just described one of my life goals...one day

:D

I'm in.

If London was the Corleone family, Manchester United was Sonny and Arsenal was Michael, then the Spurs would be Fredo with a little more street smarts

Now I'm no American, but I'd like to think that I would have the good sense to not have the LA Galaxy down as a New York team or something, which is exactly what he's doing here...  :idiot2:

the u.s teams i tend to look for are the l.a lakers and the oakland raiders.

lakers because i saw some old footage of magic johnson / kareem-abdul / james worthy when i was a kid, first basketball i ever saw.

raiders because ice cube always used to wear a raiders hat, and cos of john madden football '92 on the megadrive (genesis)

got a soft spot for the miami dolphins too, dan marino always seemed cool after seeing him in ace ventura, he was kinda like shearer for us as a player

Couple of things: Newcastle Brown Ale - it isn't called "Newcastle" or "Newcy". Ask for "Broon" or "Dog" and ask for a half pint glass if you're getting it from a bottle. If your local bar man looks confused when asking for these things; keep asking until they get used to it. This may sound stupid and parochial but it is important. It shows that actual know what you're drinking.

The article was written with more than a touch of poetic licence but I'll forgive that for entertainment value. Hang on, he obviously didn't bother to take a look at the stadium unless he was mistakenly given a late 70's photo along with a similarly dated photo of the Quayside. Cheeky git...........................