Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

I went.  Thought it was excellent.  Went to the one last night which I also enjoyed but this one was free, at a smaller venue (with not that many people turning up) and with Joe Allon asking the questions rather than Roger Tames so it was more relaxed.

I thought he was a very eloquent and humourous speaker and (understandably) more relaxed than he comes across in interviews plus he interacted very well with the people in the room.  He was on crutches as Nolan was last night.  Quite self-deprecating on his shortcomings recently but said has been carrying injuries for a while now which has affected his game.

I don't think he said anything especially revealing (maybe because I have heard a lot of it before from the likes of Nolan and Barton albeit with less swearing). 

During games, he talks in Spanish to Colo and Jose - says he and Colo always tease each other during matches about each other's kicking whenever either of them use their left(?) foot.

Said first Carroll knew of Liverpool's interest was when it was on SSN at lunchtime.  They had been aware of interest from Spurs but Harper said that he had told him that Spurs would not be a step up because with a bit of investment, we would be at Spurs level soon enough.  Said that the club were offered £30m by Liverpool but told them they wanted £35m and then told Carroll that they had accepted Liverpool's bid and asked him to put in a transfer request. 

Spoke very highly about Woodgate (especially) and Colo.

Said Ashley had to re-invest the money from the sales of Carroll and Routledge but if he had a choice, the one striker he would buy would be Sturridge but that we could not afford him because his current wages are already higher than any NUFC player (which I guess means that if he wants to leave Chelsea for regular first team footbal, his options will be limited).

Talked a lot about the managers he had played for - absolutely loves Keegan, Dalglish didn't get a fair crack, Gullit - a brilliant coach but disastrous at man-management, Hughton working so hard but constantly having to battle with the board.  Didn't really talk about Pardew but said he has done well considering they were not his players.

So nothing really new but entertaining all the same and a lot more interesting than I have made it sound.

Thanks for the summary. :thup:

Interesting comment about Sturridge's wages, combined with the expected transfer fee I think we can rule us out of going for him.

I assume he's lying about Carroll too btw? :rolleyes:

Not necessarily, but it still doesn't explain why he handed in a transfer request/how they 'forced him to'. The last thing I'd do is co-operate with those 'forcing me out'.

Sturridge on more than Smith, Colo & Barton?

Pretty sure atleast one of those lads will earn over 50k.....

Sturridge was signed on a free transfer and chelsea wanted him badly makes sense to me

Guest Roger Kint

Sturridge on more than Smith, Colo & Barton?

Pretty sure atleast one of those lads will earn over 50k.....

Sure at the time he signed there was talk of £65/70k wages, the article above says he wanted £75k so guess its around that.

Not necessarily, but it still doesn't explain why he handed in a transfer request/how they 'forced him to'. The last thing I'd do is co-operate with those 'forcing me out'.

Well Harper said that once a club tells you they want to accept an offer, there is just no point in staying.  Whether we agree with that or not, it does seem to be the standard viewpoint of players.

Also suggested that Carroll did ask for an improved contract but not for anything comparable to what he would be getting at Liverpool.

He also implied that the club wanted him to put in a transfer request to make life easier for them - whether that was to avoid loyalty payments or speed up things, I don't know but that the request was something that was driven by the club.

Anyway from my own viewpoint, I cannot believe that many clubs would turn down such an extraordinary offer and only give in because the lad submitted a transfer request.  If it was for £15m or maybe £20m then perhaps but £35m is such an extraordinary fee, it could not be ignored and if they had no intention of selling him, then why ask for more money and agree a fee before (asking) the lad to put in a transfer request.

Guest Roger Kint

Well Harper said that once a club tells you they want to accept an offer, there is just no point in staying.  Whether we agree with that or not, it does seem to be the standard viewpoint of players.

Handing in a transfer request removes any entitlement to a huge payoff, if someone forced me out of the club i loved i wouldnt help them out by letting them keep my money.

Guest Roger Kint

Did he mention stepping aside for the youngsters?

If he is carrying injuries and accepts it affects his game its possible he could retire over the summer. He only has 1 year left on his deal so cant see him going too much longer especially if Pardew makes it clear one of Krul/Forster will be regulars.

Was reading Sir Bobby's autobiography again the other day and was interesting to see him have a little dig at Harper in it.

What does he say?  It is interesting that in the years after Bobby was sacked, he did actually have a few digs at players who played for him.  Almost a bit out of character.

Was something to do with Harper kicking off in the press about not getting first-team football, and that the player himself knew he was second-choice and is why he was given a higher than usual salary for a back-up keeper to compensate for his lack of game time when he signed a new deal.

Did he mention stepping aside for the youngsters?

If he is carrying injuries and accepts it affects his game its possible he could retire over the summer. He only has 1 year left on his deal so cant see him going too much longer especially if Pardew makes it clear one of Krul/Forster will be regulars.

The op has supposedly cleared up the injuries he was carrying - left over issues from previous ops etc.

Krul and Forster were surprisingly never mentioned and no-one in the audience thought to raise the subject but I don't think it was a case of avoiding the issue moreso that they just ran out of time.  Only thing really mentioned about the goalkeeping side of things that I can remember was that the new GK coach Andy Woodman is absolutely mental.

He reminded people of his part in that goal in the pre-season friendly a few years back!!

Also said that without the right attitude you won't get anywhere regardless of how much ability you have and it is something that he keeps stressing to the youngsters.  He then cracked a joke about having been away for a few days during which time Ranger gets into trouble (re. the gun thing).

Was reading Sir Bobby's autobiography again the other day and was interesting to see him have a little dig at Harper in it.

What does he say?  It is interesting that in the years after Bobby was sacked, he did actually have a few digs at players who played for him.  Almost a bit out of character.

Who do you mean?

I went.  Thought it was excellent.  Went to the one last night which I also enjoyed but this one was free, at a smaller venue (with not that many people turning up) and with Joe Allon asking the questions rather than Roger Tames so it was more relaxed.

I thought he was a very eloquent and humourous speaker and (understandably) more relaxed than he comes across in interviews plus he interacted very well with the people in the room.  He was on crutches as Nolan was last night.  Quite self-deprecating on his shortcomings recently but said has been carrying injuries for a while now which has affected his game.

I don't think he said anything especially revealing (maybe because I have heard a lot of it before from the likes of Nolan and Barton albeit with less swearing). 

During games, he talks in Spanish to Colo and Jose - says he and Colo always tease each other during matches about each other's kicking whenever either of them use their left(?) foot.

Said first Carroll knew of Liverpool's interest was when it was on SSN at lunchtime.  They had been aware of interest from Spurs but Harper said that he had told him that Spurs would not be a step up because with a bit of investment, we would be at Spurs level soon enough.  Said that the club were offered £30m by Liverpool but told them they wanted £35m and then told Carroll that they had accepted Liverpool's bid and asked him to put in a transfer request. 

Spoke very highly about Woodgate (especially) and Colo.

Said Ashley had to re-invest the money from the sales of Carroll and Routledge but if he had a choice, the one striker he would buy would be Sturridge but that we could not afford him because his current wages are already higher than any NUFC player (which I guess means that if he wants to leave Chelsea for regular first team footbal, his options will be limited).

Talked a lot about the managers he had played for - absolutely loves Keegan, Dalglish didn't get a fair crack, Gullit - a brilliant coach but disastrous at man-management, Hughton working so hard but constantly having to battle with the board.  Didn't really talk about Pardew but said he has done well considering they were not his players.

So nothing really new but entertaining all the same and a lot more interesting than I have made it sound.

Thanks for the summary :thup:

I understand Sturridge is good but 75k+ ppw wages seems a bit too much. I would take him if he can settle for 60k wise, but that's unlikely that he will take a pay-cut after those glittering performance @ Bolton.  Definitely out of our radar.

And also, is that the first evidence we have to prove that Carroll was forced to submit the transfer request?