Steve Harper = sub goalie?

geordiedean

Krul's distribution is a million times better than both Harper and Forster, like. Its so nice having a keeper who can kick well following all those years of Given getting the ball passed back to him and just kicking it straight out of play. Harper's kicking is not great either, and neither is Forster's (see Glasgow derby).

Eh, Krul's kicking is well dodgy. :lol:

I disagree, he's the most consistently decent kicker we've had, and he can kick it about 8,000 miles. I honestly can't recall a game that I've been to this season where I've been critical of his kicking whereas Harper's kicking from his hands and from the deck is extremely patchy, and Given's was totally awful

Sometimes he has a dodgey kick but more or less all the time it's a long direct kick with a good trajectory, which rarely goes out. His reflexes are very good and as already has been said his distribution is fantastic. Particulalry from his hands.

To bring Harper back in the team now would be madness and we'd soon realise what we had if Krul was benching again.

Guest Roger Kint

Believe it or not, the best keeper for kicking we've had in the PL is Mike Hooper.

I was just thinking who the last keeper we had that could kick consistently well was. Shocking that we have to go that far back tbh, cant think any any since.

Believe it or not, the best keeper for kicking we've had in the PL is Mike Hooper.

I was just thinking who the last keeper we had that could kick consistently well was. Shocking that we have to go that far back tbh, cant think any any since.

Was at a game at Everton when he was in the team, think we won 2-0 that day, Hooper hit the Everton crossbar from a goal kick!

Was at a game at Everton when he was in the team, think we won 2-0 that day, Hooper hit the Everton crossbar from a goal kick!

:yikes:

Didn't hit the bar. Neville Southall had to tip it over.

Could've sworn that was at Villa Park from a kick from his hands.  Tipped over after a bounce, as you say Ronaldo.

Ah, not sure - it's not very Google-friendly.

Didn't hit the bar. Neville Southall had to tip it over.

Could've sworn that was at Villa Park from a kick from his hands.  Tipped over after a bounce, as you say Ronaldo.

Ah, not sure - it's not very Google-friendly.

Twas Everton, 100%.

Haha, I'm on his Wiki, which says "His fate was sealed when he was caught on camera openly laughing, whilst on the bench, after Newcastle had conceded a goal. He never played senior football again."

Is that right?

No. He came into pre-season training in 95 grotesquely overweight. Plus, we'd just bought Hislop and Harper was starting to show good potential in the reserves. He left in early 96.

Good bloke, Hooper.

There's an argument for Harper's reinstatement. Krul has been making that kind of mistake regularly, we just haven't had to pay for it before.

That said, I don't have a conclusive opinion either way. I think he'll be dropped though.

I reckon he will be dropped, but don't agree with it. He's in the team now. For a young 'keeper having his first regular run of games in the PL he's overall not been too bad. Just feel we should persevere, we'll be better off for it come the end of the season than bringing Harper back in imo.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

While there is an argument that Krul's lack of experience is costing us points (Which it may have done), he has been good up until now and dropping him is probably the wrong thing to do. Nevertheless, I'm pretty certain Harps will be back for our next game.