Should Owen be dropped?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can't wait to see the back of him with his large wages and numerous excuses (lack of service, "unlucky" non-injury-prone related injuries, etc).

But should he be dropped? No, not from the current lineup. This 4-3-3 formation with the attacking spearhead of Owen, Viduka and Martins, is probably our only real chance of staying up. If one of them gets their shooting boots on, we could win a match - another week of training behind them and you would hope that Viduka, Jonas and Martins will be slightly fitter. If we drop Owen, the formation probably won't work, as the only player who could realistically play behind Viduka/Martins with any kind of ability is Jonas, and he simply plays too deep to make use of the freedom that formation would offer him.

I'd drop him for the Liverpool game, mainly because the last thing we need is a dejected captain running around with his head down feeling sorry for himself and regretting the numerous bad decisions he's made since leaving Anfield, all whilst the scoreboard reads 4-0. Hardly going to inspire him to do well against Boro and Fulham, and like Given after the St James' mauling by Liverpool, will most likely see the player giving up all hope and wanting to pack his bags by the end of the week.

Martins had by far the easiest chance so its all irrelevant anyway. Owens chance was a good save, simple as that. Against another keeper its through his legs and in the back of the net.

:lol:

you're in a world of your own mate

Guest neesy111

ppl should be played on form not reputation

ppl playing on reputations have got us into this situation

owen is the worst in form player at the club 1 goal in 14, that's even worse the shola, so he should be dropped

The only thing I hope for is that come the start of the 2010 season, Owen is not on our player staff. The Owen experiment has failed and I for one will not be shedding too many tears if he packs up his helicopter and departs for good.

owen is the worst in form player at the club 1 goal in 14, that's even worse the shola, so he should be dropped

If the strikers were picked on form then our front two would be Carroll & Ranger. Might as well just start booking our weekends away to Blackpool now.

Guest toonlass

If the strikers were picked on form then our front two would be Carroll & Ranger. Might as well just start booking our weekends away to Blackpool now.

Funny thing is though, that Carroll has scored 3 times as many goals as Owen in 2009 and if Ranger were to come on as a sub on Sunday and score (not that its likely to happen) he would have the same number of goals in 2009 than Owen.

It would be funny if Owen was not walking away with over £100,000 every week for failing to do his job.

If Owen hadn't averaged over a goal every other game throughout 2008 and been "doing his job", both back end of last season, and first half of this season, we'd have a) gone down last season, or b) probably already be down now. He's a very good striker going through a very bad patch. No more, no less imo.

Neither do I, but though I'd normally dismiss such media headlines as reading too much into things I do think it's telling that he didn't instantly say 'yes' about Owen leading us out of this. He's the captain and you'd perhaps expect Shearer to back him unequivocally.

The fact that he doesn't touch the ball is no one's fault but his own. For some reason, Martins seems to touch the ball. Viduka touches the ball. Carroll is involved. Hmm, I wonder why Owen's the only one of our strikers who never seems to be involved in the general play.

Uh

Viduka = tall and strong

Carroll = tall and strong

Martins = pacey off the ball

Owen = runs through the defence requiring accurate passing

Now work out which one might struggle in a side that plays long balls & inaccurate passing.

Regardless, Martins doesnt touch the ball barely any more than Owen he just holds it for longer when he drops deep.

Sounds like he'll be dropped for this game and we will be playing a more typical 4-3-3 with one up top to try and stifle Liverpool and try to hit them on the counter occasionally.

Even if we do lose it will be a priority to keep that goal difference healthy. We have to be really careful come Sunday.

I can guarantee 100% that Owen won't score against Liverpool, he never gets a sniff against them and just ends up trudging off the pitch with a face like a smacked arse. He hasn't got a prayer so he shoulld be left out on Sunday then brought back against a low grade side like boro who are shit enough to let him score.

The fact that he doesn't touch the ball is no one's fault but his own. For some reason, Martins seems to touch the ball. Viduka touches the ball. Carroll is involved. Hmm, I wonder why Owen's the only one of our strikers who never seems to be involved in the general play.

Uh

Viduka = tall and strong

Now work out which one might struggle in a side that plays long balls & inaccurate passing.

Regardless, Martins doesnt touch the ball barely any more than Owen he just holds it for longer when he drops deep.

What is particularly alarming is how physically weak Owen is when challenged for the ball shoulder to shoulder. He loses it every single time in this instances. It's why most of the time he passes it before any of the opposition get anywhere near him.

It seems his legs are well and truly shot as he just doesn't have the  ability to put himself between the ball and the defender and get low with a wide strong base and just hold them off when under pressure.

It's all about balance and leverage and not size. We see the likes of Tevez and Defoe do it all the time and as a little guy you just have to be able to do this to some degree.

Owen just seems completely gone physically. He doesn't do anything that looks remotely sudden or explosive or powerful. We all know pace goes eventually, but he is no longer able to jostle with anyone or shoot with power  or anything ...

It's just a sad sight really.

Next season he'll score 15+ goals at wherever he is, people on here will whinge, "well why the f*ck didn't he do that here", when the fact is it'll be because he's playing in a decent side.

Who gives a toss, he can score 20 for someone else for all I care. He'll probably join Everton for half the money he's on here just so he can be back on his beloved Merseyside. Only stupid money would persuade him to stay here so he's welcome to take his final wedge and fuck off at the end of the season.

Uh

Viduka = tall and strong

Owen = weak and feeble

FYP by the way.

Uh

Viduka = tall and strong

What is particularly alarming is how physically weak Owen is when challenged for the ball shoulder to shoulder. He loses it every single time in this instances. It's why most of the time he passes it before any of the opposition get anywhere near him.

It seems his legs are well and truly shot as he just doesn't have the  ability to put himself between the ball and the defender and get low with a wide strong base and just hold them off when under pressure.

It's all about balance and leverage and not size. We see the likes of Tevez and Defoe do it all the time and as a little guy you just have to be able to do this to some degree.

Owen just seems completely gone physically. He doesn't do anything that looks remotely sudden or explosive or powerful. We all know pace goes eventually, but he is no longer able to jostle with anyone or shoot with power  or anything ...

Tevez has a big frame, defoe doesnt do it anymore than owen.

Owen did exactly what you're claiming hes no longer capable of in the game against portsmouth whilst being "useless" and setting up guthrie for a chance on the edge of the area.

Uh

Viduka = tall and strong

Owen did exactly what you're claiming hes no longer capable of in the game against portsmouth whilst being "useless" and setting up guthrie for a chance on the edge of the area.

He did it once on one occassion when the defender wasn't as tight to him ... fantastic.

Please don't even go there about Defoe because that is crazy talk. Tevez has a big frame? Yeah okay.

Robbie Keane, Andy Johnson, Agbonlahor etc etc etc they all do not instantly wilt as soon as they come into contact with a shoulder like Owen does.

It's pathetis. Seeing your captain go down so feebly cannot be the most inspiring sight can it.

Well i dont think he should be captain either. But what you're saying isnt very true.

Your most likely thinking of times where hes gone for a long ball and been outmuscled by the defender, then comparing that with players who gets the ball at his feet. If you cannot see that tevez has a bigger frame than owen you're blind.

Uh

Viduka = tall and strong

He did it once on one occassion when the defender wasn't as tight to him ... fantastic.

Please don't even go there about Defoe because that is crazy talk. Tevez has a big frame? Yeah okay.

Robbie Keane, Andy Johnson, Agbonlahor etc etc etc they all do not instantly wilt as soon as they come into contact with a shoulder like Owen does.

It's pathetis. Seeing your captain go down so feebly cannot be the most inspiring sight can it.

:lol:

Daily Mail reckons he's dropped for tomorrow.

Shearer looks to the future: Hopes grow that he will stay on at Newcastle

Here in The Times too

Four games into his career in the dugout, Alan Shearer has taken a decision that will reverberate throughout English football — dropping Michael Owen, his close friend and former team-mate, for Newcastle United’s vital league match away to Liverpool tomorrow.

Owen’s name was absent from the side posted at the club’s training ground yesterday, the Newcastle manager again tinkering with his tactics and formation in an attempt to find respite in their tussle with relegation from the Barclays Premier League.

While Owen’s form has been questionable, his omission still ranks as a surprise; the two have not only played together for club and country, they also share a representative.

Barring late withdrawals through injury, Shearer intends to field a five-man midfield at Anfield, where Owen made his name as a player, deploying Mark Viduka as a lone centre forward. With every point now crucial, Newcastle hope to earn a draw or better by frustrating Rafael Benítez’s team, with Owen, if required, ready to be called upon from the substitutes’ bench.

When Shearer was appointed at St James’ Park last month he immediately restored Owen — who had been dropped by Chris Hughton, Newcastle’s acting manager, for their preceding home match against Arsenal — to his starting line-up. “If Michael is fit, he will start,” he said then.

In the intervening four weeks, however, Newcastle, who are eighteenth and three points from safety, have not won and Owen has not scored. The 29-year-old has mustered ten goals this season, but none since January, a sequence that encompasses nine appearances in league and cup.

Owen’s disappointment will be heightened by the knowledge that Fabio Capello, the England manager, is expected on Merseyside to watch the fixture against Liverpool. The forward has not played for his country since his second-half appearance as a substitute against France 13 months ago and, at present, his hopes of playing in next year’s World Cup finals — should England qualify — appear bleak.

Owen’s absence may be brief, however. Fitness matters permitting, Shearer is expected to revert to a 4-3-3 formation for the home game against Middlesbrough on May 11, but whether there will be repercussions for Owen’s future on Tyneside is open to interpretation.

The player’s contract expires at the end of this season and while Everton are long-time admirers of Owen, who supported the club as a boy, he has previously expressed admiration for Shearer’s foray into management.

Shearer had hinted earlier yesterday that he would not be afraid to drop Owen. Asked if he believed that his captain could lead the club out of their plight, his reply was ambiguous. “If I believe he can do, then that will be reflected in the team on Sunday,” he said. “If I believe that he can’t, then that’s a decision I have to make.

“But I will go in on Sunday with the team I believe will be best suited for a particular game to get us a result. You will find out my decision on Sunday.”

Shearer did not dispute the contention that it would be folly to approach an away fixture against a team fighting for the title with a trio of strikers. “I have been mad in my time and I do not want to give away any formations or selections, but I tend to agree that, yeah, it might be mad to go there with three up front,” he said.

Along with Viduka and Obafemi Martins, Owen spurned a glorious opportunity in Monday’s 0-0 draw with Portsmouth. “Workrate-wise with Michael, there is definitely no complaint whatsoever — he’s always in the top three or four players on the pitch,” Shearer said.

“He would have hoped to put that chance away, but he didn’t. But he will not wallow in self-pity. If I do decide to drop one of the three strikers it will be a tough choice. Michael is still banging them in during training, but I want him scoring in games.”