Opta Stats: how much running do our players do?

TRon

Isn't there a measurement of how much ground a player covers over 90 mins? I know Robson used to eulogise Dyer as having two hearts, but then Bobby used to value pace and movement quite a lot. These are qualities we are pretty short of so I was wondering which players people think are putting in the hard yards and which have been coasting?

Kevin Nolan is about _______________________________________ that far.

I think he covers enough ground, it just takes him three times as long as everyone else to do it. He could probably use a fag break.

Guest LucaAltieri

I think he covers enough ground, it just takes him three times as long as everyone else to do it. He could probably use a fag break.

There are goalkeepers who cover more ground than Nolan.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Jonas wasn't top of any such list.

I would reckon Martins and Enrique would be up there as well. Probably Butt as well even though he has the same failings as Nolan.

:lol:

i'd imagine duff would be up there

Maybe i should have clarified: over the last two seasons, not the last game played.

He'd still be up there.

Have a go at Duff for being shit all you want, but he puts the effort in, something a lot of our other players need to do.

There's far better players than Duff in the side, but none of them have the heart he does. Well, not many of them.

Maybe i should have clarified: over the last two seasons, not the last game played.

He'd still be up there.

Have a go at Duff for being shit all you want, but he puts the effort in, something a lot of our other players need to do.

There's far better players than Duff in the side, but none of them have the heart he does. Well, not many of them.

He's a winger, he's supposed to produce in the final third. His best perfomances have come at left back, so yes I agree he puts the effort in.

He'd still be up there.

Have a go at Duff for being s*** all you want, but he puts the effort in, something a lot of our other players need to do.

He's a winger, he's supposed to produce in the final third. His best perfomances have come at left back, so yes I agree he puts the effort in.

I disagree. It always appears that we miss Duff when he goes to left back or is just not playing. Out of the squad he is probably the last player I have any beef with.

Anyway, that's besides the point. I always think Enrique covers alot of ground.

He'd still be up there.

Have a go at Duff for being s*** all you want, but he puts the effort in, something a lot of our other players need to do.

I disagree. It always appears that we miss Duff when he goes to left back or is just not playing. Out of the squad he is probably the last player I have any beef with.

Erm Duff is largely shit. He doesn't score enough and most of the time he rarely looks a threat. Not the player he was 5 years ago... or the player Milner was last season.

I'm pretty certain he earns much more than the likes of Ashley Young.

He'd still be up there.

Erm Duff is largely shit. He doesn't score enough and most of the time he rarely looks a threat. Not the player he was 5 years ago... or the player Milner was last season.

I'm pretty certain he earns much more than the likes of Ashley Young.

Duff puts the effort in though, unlike nearly every other member of our team. At least he fights for the cause.

He's not even that bad, you have a go at him for not delivering in the final third, but neither does Jonas, who is everyones lovechild.

Don't want to turn this thread about Duff tbh, but out of our under-achieving lot, he is probably the one most likely to revive his career under proper guidance and management. Since he's been here we've had Roeder, Allardyce, Keegan, Kinnear and now Shearer. He's an experienced player, and although his legs have gone, a good manager could still use his footballing intelligence in a stable side.

I remember when Peter Schmeichel said that one game, just to prove that the OPTA stats meant nothing, when the ball was up the other end of the pitch in one particular game, he spent his time running backwards and forwards across his penalty area just so in the stats, he'd ran the furthest. :lol:

Don't want to turn this thread about Duff tbh, but out of our under-achieving lot, he is probably the one most likely to revive his career under proper guidance and management. Since he's been here we've had Roeder, Allardyce, Keegan, Kinnear and now Shearer. He's an experienced player, and although his legs have gone, a good manager could still use his footballing intelligence in a stable side.

duff will improve if the side improves because he'll be less exposed and have more options in all areas of the pitch, same for a number of our players imo

many of our buys have been found out because of the lack of quality around them as much as them just turning to ratshit overnight

I remember when Peter Schmeichel said that one game, just to prove that the OPTA stats meant nothing, when the ball was up the other end of the pitch in one particular game, he spent his time running backwards and forwards across his penalty area just so in the stats, he'd ran the furthest. :lol:

On the subject of Man U, every team Ferguson has built and re-built has always had exemplary movement off the ball, whether it's forwards or midfielders. Because there are always players running into space the player on the ball always has plenty of options. How many of our players are looking for the ball? Most of them are usually stationary and hoping someone else makes a move.

On the subject of Man U, every team Ferguson has built and re-built has always had exemplary movement off the ball, whether it's forwards or midfielders. Because there are always players running into space the player on the ball always has plenty of options. How many of our players are looking for the ball? Most of them are usually stationary and hoping someone else makes a move.

prime example park ji-sung, played against us in Europe after he came to light in the 2002 world cup

i guarantee you if we'd signed him instead of man u a massive % of our fans would have said "who the fuck is this joker" and complained their tits off because they never knew who he was

took him a while to settle there but he's a tireless mover on the pitch with or without the ball, he's like dyer but better because he plays more and knows where and when to run and can actually use his brain

all comes back to successive managerial changes fucking our shit up - still amazed robson never went for the 2 koreans that came to england by the way, they'd have fit very nicely into our team at that time and would have cost less than carl cort or albert luque!!