Liverpool 3 - 0 Newcastle United - 03/05/09 - post match reaction from page 17

Dave

I can't wait until someone says we only lost this because we were playing Liverpool. Any Premier League team could have scored the goals we've conceded today.

To be fair, if we'd realised we're allowed to foul defenders when attacking at set plays we'd probably have scored more this season. Same goes for being offside.

We were still fucking wank btw, just frustrating that it's made that much harder for us.

It's a bit ridiculous to say Bassong was an unknown prospect. It's like saying Aaron Lennon was an unknown youngster. The player was a highly regarded product of what might be the best academy in the entire world. He had been quite well known among the football community in France for some time. Frankly, Bassong was not random luck. He was a good signing. The kind of business that would have been useful as the teams of of the earlier part of this decade were deteriorating.

He wasn't highly regarded amongst the Metz fans who thought they'd robbed us of £1.5m.

Maybe this is true. I don't know where you found Metz fans to talk to tbh, but I'll take your word for it. But he was generally held in high esteem. (Maybe in the same way N'Zog and Taylor were rated higher by outsiders than their own fans). He was an u21 international for a nation which is superior in talent to that of England. The two other clubs he was closely linked to were Everton and Lille (consistently top part of table). He was not a nobody. And frankly at the price we paid, it would have been ridiculous if he some unknown player.

The gam was really depressing btw.

It's a bit ridiculous to say Bassong was an unknown prospect. It's like saying Aaron Lennon was an unknown youngster. The player was a highly regarded product of what might be the best academy in the entire world. He had been quite well known among the football community in France for some time. Frankly, Bassong was not random luck. He was a good signing. The kind of business that would have been useful as the teams of of the earlier part of this decade were deteriorating.

He wasn't highly regarded amongst the Metz fans who thought they'd robbed us of £1.5m.

visited their forums?? :lol:

A mate laughed at me last summer when the news broke we'd signed him. He was like: "haha" and I was like: ""wtf? Don't laugh. Never heard of this guy...who is he?"

Guest fraser

Thank God the non-winnable games are out of the way.

Today we were never going to win and I'm happy that we kept it to 3 given what it could have been.

Harper    8 (England's best)

Beye        5

Coloccini  3

Bassong  8

Duff        7

Butt        5

Barton    -300

Smith      6

Loveman 4

Martins    4

Viduka    7

Guttierez enigmatic

Owen      pah!

Just watched the goals what a joke.

First one debatably offside.

2nd one Beye was obstructed.

3rd one nicky butt/whoever else were being twats and clearly playing them onside like morons. Embarassing goal.

Still havent seen bartons foul

It is ridiculous how in Shearer's five games, we've been robbed of 3 goals...not contentious decisions but actual goals. Not sure they'd have made much difference but it is ridiculous and has been a theme throughout the season. (Owen's goal v Chelsea, the corner that shouldn't have been v Stoke, and Benayoun offside today)

Add in martins handball that would have been ball to hand anywhere else on the pitch v portsmouth.

Exact same thing happened to two man united players yesterday, hits 2 of them in the arm & gives them the advantage of controlling the ball so that they could clear.

Hits martins in the arm giving him the advantage of controlling it only to score after & no no its a free kick. Complete joke.

Probably endless examples from this season.

I still think it's going to be Boro, Hull & West Brom.

You definitely don't need to be relegated to revamp the squad. During the 2003/04 season Spurs had an aging/ropey squad that finished 14th having been midtable all season. Apart from King & Keane, every position was revamped for the next season. In 2004 & 2005 we totally rebuilt the youth squad and blooded loads of youngsters, signed Cerny & Robinson in goal, Dawson, Edman, Naybet, Atouba and Pamarot in defence, Brown, Carrick, Sean Davis, Mendes & Reid in midfield and Defoe and Mido up front. It was bonkers. King, Redknapp and Defoe were the only players who lined up in the first match of 2004/05 who lined up in the last match of 2003/04. Most players were signed for relatively small fees (Defoe a notable exception at £6M). Great swathes of dead wood were cleared out.

There has to be a change of ownership/attitude, a new managerial team (Shearer would still count as that) and some concrete investment. You already have a number of young players signed up and I understand that the youth development team has come on over the last couple of years. Losing players like Viduka, Owen etc will free up lots of money, Bassong, Beye, Barton would stay. I think you will and should stay up.

Harper - Englands best?

He is a total joke man. Why the hell didnt he come and claim that cross for the 2nd goal I will never know, it was in his 6 yard box.

Noticed him doing it without fail since Given's departure (i.e. when he's had a long run in the team). Just stuck to his goalline as soon as a cross with a moderate amount of pace and bend is played in, almost as though he lacks that ability to anticipate/read the general direction of the ball and therefore doesn't make a judgement call on whether he should come out to claim it, and so looks like he's completely switched off as to that part of the goalkeeping game and is just waiting for the next.

Certainly a major weakness in his makeup, and it's something that we took for granted with Given, who was pretty decent at coming out of his box to claim flighted corners with a safe pair of hands.

No

I still think it's going to be Boro, Hull & West Brom.

You definitely don't need to be relegated to revamp the squad. During the 2003/04 season Spurs had an aging/ropey squad that finished 14th having been midtable all season. Apart from King & Keane, every position was revamped for the next season. In 2004 & 2005 we totally rebuilt the youth squad and blooded loads of youngsters, signed Cerny & Robinson in goal, Dawson, Edman, Naybet, Atouba and Pamarot in defence, Brown, Carrick, Sean Davis, Mendes & Reid in midfield and Defoe and Mido up front. It was bonkers. King, Redknapp and Defoe were the only players who lined up in the first match of 2004/05 who lined up in the last match of 2003/04. Most players were signed for relatively small fees (Defoe a notable exception at £6M). Great swathes of dead wood were cleared out.

There has to be a change of ownership/attitude, a new managerial team (Shearer would still count as that) and some concrete investment. You already have a number of young players signed up and I understand that the youth development team has come on over the last couple of years. Losing players like Viduka, Owen etc will free up lots of money, Bassong, Beye, Barton would stay. I think you will and should stay up.

No matter what happens, I can't see Barton staying.  Not after today. And whats funny is - in my head earlier I thought - just maybe, maybe if we sadly go down - Barton would stay knowing well that he has something to payback to us and that he'd help us get back.  Welp - not anymore.

Harper - 4 - No command of anything, if we go down Krul should start next season as first choice.  No point in hindering his development any more.

Beye - 5 - Looks to be slowing up, positionally poor.  One of the few who seems to give a shit though.  Berated Harper for Kuyt's header

Duff - 5 - Not a left back, not a very good footballer.

Coloccini - 4 - Normal service resumed.  Dragged all over the place time & time again.  No strength, no positional play, no heart, no aerial ability, no ball playing ability, get caught out repeatedly....... the list goes on.  All things considered, one of our worst ever signings.

Bassong - 5 - suffering now, but it was always going to come.  Been one of the few bright points of this season.

Butt - 4 - gave the ball away with his first touch, continued in that vein all afternoon.

Smith - 5 - evidentally lucky to stay on (although I haven't seen the tackle since I got back) Tries hard, but his best is nowhere near fucking good enough

Barton - 6.5 up until the sending off - 0 - after it.  Looks like he cares but is just too fucking stupid, regardless of whether it was a sending off or not.

Martins - 4 - Not involved in an attacking sense, tracked back well enough at times, but that makes him totally effective as a forward.  Now looks well & truly pissed off.

Viduka - 4 - Does what he does well, but nowhere near fit enough.

Lovenkrands - 3 - simply not involved.

Gutierrez - 4 - Same as most games since about November, no end product, holds onto the ball too long, absolutely no awareness of the game & players around him.

Owen - 3 - Club captain - the only one of the substitutes not to come out & warm up at half time.  Had our best chance of the game again and fucked it up again.  Amazing that some people still want to reply on this bloke, who has been keeping himself injury free since his return to the team.

This bunch of cunts have had two weeks worth of near perfect results from the sides around us to dig us out of this shite and absolutely none of them have looked like giving a shit.  Didn't expect any points from today, but at least some sort of effort would be a start.

Add in martins handball that would have been ball to hand anywhere else on the pitch v portsmouth.

Exact same thing happened to two man united players yesterday, hits 2 of them in the arm & gives them the advantage of controlling the ball so that they could clear.

Hits martins in the arm giving him the advantage of controlling it only to score after & no no its a free kick. Complete joke.

Probably endless examples from this season.

Might be wrong here, but there was another ManU player directly behind Vidic (or whoever it was) when it hit his arm, in line with the direction of the ball. Therefore, the ball would have been cleared.

Maybe it's not part of any rulebook, but the Martins handball resulted in an attacking situation from a ball that was set to be cleared out of the box. I.e. it benefitted him greatly. Whereas with the Vidic handball, the ball hit the hand in a similarly unintentional fashion, but had it not, there would almost certainly have been no benefit to Boro. The handball itself provided no real benefit to the ManU player as it did not prevent Boro from getting a chance in at goal or receiving the ball. If I was the referee in both instances of accidental handball, I'd use my common sense and not make a decision that would have resulted in one side getting an unfair advantage.

Bassong is clearly the best def we have by a country mile. Intelligence, composure and and what is blossoming into a trusty left foot.

sad to think he'd have probably developed even more this season if he had Abdoulaye Faye partnering him.

It is ridiculous how in Shearer's five games, we've been robbed of 3 goals...not contentious decisions but actual goals. Not sure they'd have made much difference but it is ridiculous and has been a theme throughout the season. (Owen's goal v Chelsea, the corner that shouldn't have been v Stoke, and Benayoun offside today)

Clear foul on Beye (who was marking Kuyt) by Agger today as well.

Bassong is clearly the best def we have by a country mile. Intelligence, composure and and what is blossoming into a trusty left foot.

sad to think he'd have probably developed even more this season if he had Abdoulaye Faye partnering him.

The falling out between Faye & the management team meant that would never happen.