Fabricio Coloccini

steve_69
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coloccini wasn't marking Ebanks-Blake, that was Williamson's job.

Are you sure? Here's a picture of the situation:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4600/colodc.jpg

Williamson is circled in red. And as you can see, he was already marking a man. But look at the huge space between Colo and Blake (the black arrow). Every player held the line, except  Colo which seemingly was more occupied with marking a player that would have been in offside if Colo aligned himself with the rest. With better positioning Colo could have pushed out and blocked Bank's shot. But hey, even Colo got to have a weakness.. :)

Going purely off that still, Colo has been left with no choice but to hang back and try and cover two players, resulting in him marking neither, as it looks like Ferguson has let his man go.

If you actually bother to watch their goal you'll see Coloccini was marking the fella behind him, covering for Ferguson. At no point did anyone mark Ebanks-Blake to our downfall.

Again, the blame for me falls onto the fullback for letting the cross come in the first place. Has been taking lessons off Taylor has Simpson.

On that I fully agree. Utter s*** defending by Simpson. Inviting Jarvis into the box like the cheapest hooker in town. He must have better faith in himself. Had he pushed out, Jarvis would be forced to make a choice: Dribble or pass. And even if he managed to pass Simpson, the latter would have chased him, forcing Jarvis to cross under pressure. A push could even have led to Simpson snapping the ball and initiating a counterattack.  Sadly he picked the worse alternative of them all..

Again, the blame for me falls onto the fullback for letting the cross come in the first place. Has been taking lessons off Taylor has Simpson.

On that I fully agree. Utter shit defending by Simpson. Inviting Jarvis into the box like the cheapest hocker in town. He must have better faith in himself. Had he pushed out, Jarvis would be forced to make a choice: Dribble or pass. And even if he managed to pass Simpson, the latter would have chased him, forcing Jarvis to cross under pressure. A push could even have led to Simpson snapping the ball and initiating a counterattack.  Sadly he picked the worse alternative of them all..

You probably have a few decent points amongst the countless contributions you've been making lately, but even with your new username, few people are going to take you seriously with phrases like "Inviting Jarvis into the box like the cheapest hocker[sic] in town"

:undecided:

If you actually bother to watch their goal you'll see Coloccini was marking the fella behind him, covering for Ferguson. At no point did anyone mark Ebanks-Blake to our downfall.

I was thinking the same myself. I don't know the answer.  That's why I'm asking. Should Colo have covered Ferguson's man who clearly was in offside or should he have pushed out ...

On that I fully agree. Utter s*** defending by Simpson. Inviting Jarvis into the box like the cheapest hocker in town. He must have better faith in himself. Had he pushed out, Jarvis would be forced to make a choice: Dribble or pass. And even if he managed to pass Simpson, the latter would have chased him, forcing Jarvis to cross under pressure. A push could even have led to Simpson snapping the ball and initiating a counterattack.  Sadly he picked the worse alternative of them all..

You probably have a few decent points amongst the countless contributions you've been making lately, but even with your new username, few people are going to take you seriously with phrases like "Inviting Jarvis into the box like the cheapest hocker[sic] in town"

:undecided:

I stand corrected..Bad spelling.. hooker.. :)

No way. Simpson did the right thing - covering his man to the byline. It was smart play by Jarvis to cut it back, but Simpson's work meant he couldn't whip it in with any pace so the defenders in the box should have dealt with it.

No way. Simpson did the right thing - covering his man to the byline. It was smart play by Jarvis to cut it back, but Simpson's work meant he couldn't whip it in with any pace so the defenders in the box should have dealt with it.

Jarvis is right footed though. Much like Arteta was. Its also the issue of space as there was too much between the defender and the ball IMO.

We do let far too many crosses come into the box, it's the biggest weakness in our defence IMO.

I think we have a tendency to give away unnecessary free kicks in dangerous positions..

Exactly, Danny Simpson is awesome.

Wrong. He did the same thing against Spurs, and the experts sad he made a serious mistake.  The Spurs-blunder was worse. Not only did he invite Lennon into box, but he also managed to lead him in the wrong direction: towards goal and not away from it.

Jarvis is right footed though. Much like Arteta was. Its also the issue of space as there was too much between the defender and the ball IMO.

He can cross with his left. Really fucking well in fact. :lol:

On that I fully agree. Utter s*** defending by Simpson. Inviting Jarvis into the box like the cheapest hooker in town. He must have better faith in himself. Had he pushed out, Jarvis would be forced to make a choice: Dribble or pass. And even if he managed to pass Simpson, the latter would have chased him, forcing Jarvis to cross under pressure. A push could even have led to Simpson snapping the ball and initiating a counterattack.  Sadly he picked the worse alternative of them all..

i wonder if many on here have actually played the game even at the lowest levels or park kickabouts. from the position simpson was in, with the attacker coming towards him all he can do is try is try and control the angle offered, to go towards the man from that position  makes it so easy for him to just have the ball knocked to one side of him and not to be able to recover.

a bit like evertons equalisewr a few weeks aago in that the centre halves were probably a yard or so too deep.

Wrong. He did the same thing against Spurs, and the experts sad he made a serious mistake.  The Spurs-blunder was worse. Not only did he invite Lennon into box, but he also managed to lead him in the wrong direction: towards goal and not away from it.

Which experts?

We need a GIF of his little flick during the 3rd goal. Magical.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4166/colo2j.jpg

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/1608/colo3.jpg

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/4939/colo4.jpg

That he is, but he still can't handle right-footed left wingers and he still backs off too much.

That he is, but he still can't handle right-footed left wingers and he still backs off too much.

he doesn't back off as much as people think. also he's often left without any support defensivly out there and a wide player who's been able to get into his stride. unless of course you want him to play like a school boy full back and blindly stay within a yard of the winger no matter where he goes ?

he doesn't back off as much as people think. also he's often left without any support defensivly out there and a wide player who's been able to get into his stride. unless of course you want him to play like a school boy full back and blindly stay within a yard of the winger no matter where he goes ?

Nope. I just don't want him to back off as much as he does. There's a happy medium between sticking on the skin of the winger and giving him all the space that he wants. A happy medium that he hasn't found yet.

Nope. I just don't want him to back off as much as he does. There's a happy medium between sticking on the skin of the winger and giving him all the space that he wants. A happy medium that he hasn't found yet.

Meh, I'm inclined to be on Madras' side here, he does a very good job in our 'prevent' defense, i.e. let the opposition have the ball down in the spaces where they can't hurt us (out wide) and trust that they'll either fuck it up themselves our that our centrebacks and midfield stop them getting a shot on target.

Wasn't there a stat from earlier in the season which showed how many on-target attempts each team had allowed per game? Pretty sure we were #1 or #2 in October for allowing opponents attempts on target. Basically, Harper/Krul had nowt to do for the majority of each game because the full backs were making the opposition beat them rather than getting too tight/diving in which made the attackers' mind up for them.