Shearer says talks with Cardiff were "unsucessful" - Sky News

Decky

Guest neesy111

Shearer is a legend, but the guy's role in the Souness appointment fucking irk's me to this day.  I still don't blame him for the relegation though, like the fact he could turn a sinking ship we had been for 25 games under Kinnear in 8 games.

Guest firetotheworks

Shearer is a legend, but the guy's role in the Souness appointment f***ing irk's me to this day.  I still don't blame him for the relegation though, like the fact he could turn a sinking ship we had been for 25 games under Kinnear in 8 games.

But our form was excellent under Kinnear, because other teams were losing.  :lol: :rolleyes:

Guest neesy111

Joke to say he's a crap manager. 8 games man! Not saying he's proven by any means, he's just an unknown.

Honestly, not even mourinho or ferguson would have done anything with that team of cunts.

Far too little evidence to judge Shearer's capabilities as a manager. Fergie was 90 mins from the sack when he was at OT in 1986 because they were doing so badly ; if Robbins hadn't scored the winner in an FA Cup tie, the Man U successes of the last 20 years would never have happened.

The difference is that Fergie had a track record as a manager before he went to OT - Shearer has never managed a lower league club to prove himself so he remains unproven ; great players don't often make great managers(Bobby Charlton a case in point), but until Shearer does a few seasons in the job, we won't know. Lee Clarke is currently looking a better bet for being a success at the top level.

Shearer was a great player and it was a massive coup to sign him, although it would never have happened if;

1. He hadn't been from Newcastle

2. We were a middle of the table outfit - he joined because he thought the club was on the up.

Had he been in Carroll's shoes, he would have gone too because he would have seen where the club were going under the present ownership.

You will NEVER see NUFC repeat anything like the Shearer signing again unless the club is taken over by massively-wealthy people...and even then, the club's geographical position will be a deterrent for players either from the south, or from southern Europe. If you doubt that, ask yourself whether Torres, given the choice, would have joined NUFC or Chelsea, even if we had been Top 4 ??

Had Shearer not been injured at Everton, he would have amassed far more goals, and I reckon we would have won silverware with him in the side...he missed far too many games in his first 2 seasons, games that could have made a difference to our success.

Far too little evidence to judge Shearer's capabilities as a manager. Fergie was 90 mins from the sack when he was at OT in 1986 because they were doing so badly ; if Robbins hadn't scored the winner in an FA Cup tie, the Man U successes of the last 20 years would never have happened.

The difference is that Fergie had a track record as a manager before he went to OT - Shearer has never managed a lower league club to prove himself so he remains unproven ; great players don't often make great managers(Bobby Charlton a case in point), but until Shearer does a few seasons in the job, we won't know. Lee Clarke is currently looking a better bet for being a success at the top level.

Shearer was a great player and it was a massive coup to sign him, although it would never have happened if;

1. He hadn't been from Newcastle

2. We were a middle of the table outfit - he joined because he thought the club was on the up.

Had he been in Carroll's shoes, he would have gone too because he would have seen where the club were going under the present ownership.

You will NEVER see NUFC repeat anything like the Shearer signing again unless the club is taken over by massively-wealthy people...and even then, the club's geographical position will be a deterrent for players either from the south, or from southern Europe. If you doubt that, ask yourself whether Torres, given the choice, would have joined NUFC or Chelsea, even if we had been Top 4 ??

Had Shearer not been injured at Everton, he would have amassed far more goals, and I reckon we would have won silverware with him in the side...he missed far too many games in his first 2 seasons, games that could have made a difference to our success.

well said.  We don't have enough information to rate him as a manager.  That said, the guy will always be The Legend to me.  His goals, his intelligence, and when he lost his pace, the ability to adapt.  Fuck it man, the guy was a force of nature with an indomitable will.  How he played on the field was always a template for me in how to perform your best.  I fucking hate the cliche 110%, but if there was one man on the pitch who could achieve that, it was Shearer.

The question is will he be able to translate this philosophy to less dedicated players just riding on the crest of a wave?  Or will be an utter asshole to them, and end up like Souness in alienating a fair few of his players?  Could go either way for me.  Wouldn't be surprised if he succeeded, or if he failed.  But I will certainly give him a fair shake, and not assume that he is utter shit because of those 8 games in charge.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Don't think we can really judge him on his ability to manage based on the short number of games with a team going down anyway. Plus always thought he was brought in more to support his mate Dowie and provide a smoke screen for another Ashley failure to come in, rather than be a "proper manager" of the club.

Helped bring us decent league positions and 2 Cup finals etc, scoring many and some great goals. Stayed on too long and probably undermined Bobby due to his wish to get rid of him, either Al or Bobby in Freddys mind when he sacked him.

More controversial is my belief that he only came here when Man U pulled the plug on a move for him. Shepherd always maintained that Jack Walker (Blackburn chairman) hated Man U so much that he offered far more to Southampton and Al to get him for Blackburn when Fergy wanted him. Never wanted them to have his prized player later on and tried to price them out of the market. Freddy always said that he was asking Man U for a heck of a lot more for Al than what we were quoted. I will always maintain that Man U found out (or we made sure they knew) about the 2 different offers and then pulled out. Would fit in with the fact that Al was house hunting in Manchester too at the time.

Thats my take on the Shearer era anyways, best all round centre forward I ever saw but shouldn't be blamed too much for that relegation.

Guest elbee909

But Llambias said in The Sun: "Do I care what Alan Shearer has to say?

"When he ran this football club [in 2009] we were relegated after picking up just five points from his eight games in charge."

Very professional Derek.

Llambias has to take some responsibility for that happening.  And considering Hughton getting us promoted, he must really care what he has to say... which he clearly doesn't.

Unprofessional, but whatever, he's spot on.

Really? To me it just looks like childish finger-pointing after the fact, as of course it totally overlooks their own role in bringing the club to the point in the first place, by their own mismanagement (getting rid of Keegan, appointing of Joe Kinnear, underinvesting in the squad etc). The task Shearer was handed back then was, by any measure and for any manager, a very challenging one given the state of the club and the squad at the time.

Guest thefishman

But Llambias said in The Sun: "Do I care what Alan Shearer has to say?

"When he ran this football club [in 2009] we were relegated after picking up just five points from his eight games in charge."

Just shows the type of cunt thats in charge of NUFC, what has he ever achieved in football? Wanker of the highest order!

Should clarify that he was 'spot on' about Shearer's record in charge.

It is childish to a degree.  It is not a clear cut objective argument.  Should just move on now.

He shouldn't have said anything about Shearer's record as a manager (which is hard to judge anyway). It's irrelevant to the point in question and just sounds like he's lost his temper.

The main point that he should have stuck to is that Ashley has regularly put money into the club and doesn't need a lecture on that matter from Alan Shearer.