Shearer says talks with Cardiff were "unsucessful" - Sky News

Decky

He failed miserably as a manager here.

Wasn't liked and couldn't get the respect of the dressing room.

Very poor. A proper joke poster nowadays.

Just repeating what I was told :dontknow:

Doesn't really bother me if it's true or not. It's just people love having digs for the sake of it. Keegan, Shearer, anybody with a hint of legacy at NUFC, you'll always get somebody willing to besmirch their names. It's just sad, as if we haven't got enough to be down about.

Wait, I don't follow.  So, because Shearer has a legendary status at the club we have to (literally have to) ignore any serious failings he has?  Just doesn't work like that, does it?

Serious failings?!? Howay man, have a word.

Seems we must :lol:

No, please, enlighten me. Which serious failings does he have? (If lacklustre punditry skills is one  :rolleyes:)

Anybody who says he "failed as a manager" - he had, what, 8 games to turn the team around?  That really isn't long enough for him to make a serious impact on the squad that had already given up.  His job was basically to inject life into a corpse - and he couldn't do it.

Outside of maybe SBR or The Special One - who the hell could?

Yeah pretty much, which is why I said 'unproven'. 

Didn't do himself any favours with his stint in charge mind.

Doesn't really bother me if it's true or not. It's just people love having digs for the sake of it. Keegan, Shearer, anybody with a hint of legacy at NUFC, you'll always get somebody willing to besmirch their names. It's just sad, as if we haven't got enough to be down about.

Wait, I don't follow.  So, because Shearer has a legendary status at the club we have to (literally have to) ignore any serious failings he has?  Just doesn't work like that, does it?

No, please, enlighten me. Which serious failings does he have? (If lacklustre punditry skills is one  :rolleyes:)

That MIGHT just be the context of discussion?  I stress might, but hey I was convinced that was obvious.

Baffled by your post and the rolleyes smiley.

Yes, yes it does.

Renders any opinion you may have about Shearer practically null and void.

That MIGHT just be the context of discussion?  I stress might, but hey I was convinced that was obvious.

And I put to you good sir, that debatable punditry does not constitute a SERIOUS FAILING.

Shit post. Makes no sense. Point out his glaring weaknesses, please.

Anybody who says he "failed as a manager" - he had, what, 8 games to turn the team around?  That really isn't long enough for him to make a serious impact on the squad that had already given up.  His job was basically to inject life into a corpse - and he couldn't do it.

In what way? He tried, and he failed. At least he fucking tried. The club came calling, and he answered their need

Given all the cunts who have been associated with this club, it boggles the mind that anyone would want to have a pop at our highest ever goalscorer and the man who stuck by his club even when he was almost forced out (twice)

And I put to you good sir, that debatable punditry does not constitute a SERIOUS FAILING.

Erm, it's his current job.  Think lots of the skills required to be an outstanding pundit are transferable to other areas of the game.  So http://www.otf2.com/forums/images/smilies/sorry.gif

s*** post. Makes no sense. Point out his glaring weaknesses, please.

The context of the discussion is Shearers piss-poor punditry.  Obvious to anyone who isn't blinkered on this subject... oh.

I'd point one massively glaring weakness out, but I'd be labelled a bullshitter and lier and a "joke poster", so I won't.

I'm leaving now, enjoy the rest of this discussion :)

The context of the discussion is Shearers piss poor punditry.  Obvious to anyone who isn't blinkered on this subject... oh.

So your miserable argument is soley based on his microphone and analysis skills? You have nothing else to offer? You really are a miserable little cunt.

The context of the discussion is Shearers piss poor punditry.  Obvious to anyone who isn't blinkered on this subject... oh.

No it isn't.  Thread was bumped because Shearer is an NUFC legend.

No one gives a fuck about his punditry other than losers like you who sit in every saturday and observe his every move on the couch.

Erm, it's his current job.  Think lots of the skills required to be an outstanding pundit are transferable to other areas of the game.  So http://www.otf2.com/forums/images/smilies/sorry.gif

They're really not.

Would the top managers make good pundits? Would the top pundits make good managers? In the majority of cases - no.

Give over man, of course he's not a good pundit, but who gives a shit about that? Such a great majority of pundits are a waste of space.

You are so desperate to shit on him in such a disproportionate way... Then you have the nerve to insinuate others have agendas? :lol:

So your miserable argument is soley based on his microphone and analysis skills? You have nothing else to offer? You really are a miserable little c***.

No, my argument is against the obvious culture on this forum that forbids anyone from criticizing a legend, for whatever reason.

The context used for the argument is punditry.  I may very well have opted to use a different context, but that one seemed the least contentious.

Anyway, why does all of this make me a 'miserable little cunt'?  Go on, explain it - I'd love to know.

I don't think it is fair to judge his management ability on those 8 games especially with the state the club was in at the time.  However, I am disappointed that he does not appear to have taken his pro-licence nor does he seem prepared to drop down a division or two to learn his trade despite him often saying that he wants to go into management.  He retired 5 years ago so you have to wonder how serious he is about it.  Infact, I would rather see him have a similar role here to Quinn but of course that will never happen whilst Ashley is here.

They're really not.

Would the top managers make good pundits? Would the top pundits make good managers? In the majority of cases - no.

Which is why I said there were lots of transferable skills.  Might be somewhat misleading by saying 'lots' but, that aside, my point is still holds its ground.  Of course it doesn't necessarily make a good manager a good pundit (for example), just that there are transferable skills.

He covers a highlights show on the BBC it is light hearted coverage at best, what you expecting a tactics truck? I watch it about once a season as I prefer Football First for hour game & the highlights of games on Goals On Sunday.

As if any pundits are any good anyway.  It's all blindingly obvious.  I can count on one hand the number of times any pundit anywhere has ever said anything particularly enlightening.

There are few examples in the English media, which is a huge shame.  Always found Pleat to be the most incisive with his real-time analysis.  Even found Big Sam extremely interesting, even though his massive defensive bias was clearly apparent in all his observations.  Most of the rest offer no real substance to their work. 

Think that's what it comes down to for me.  Outstanding pundits are those who are able to reinforce their observations by demonstrating an excellent knowledge and understanding of the game.  Shearer (and many many others) are extremely bland and rarely demonstrate anything beyond a basic understanding of most aspects of the game that (to me) matter.

Don't really care whether they are always 100% accurate with their observations, because we all make our own minds up about the issues.  I just like to take on board the views of clearly knowledgeable and interesting pundits.  Hell, it's probably better to have at least two polar opposite extremists in the studio.