Damien Duff Pledges future to Newcastle - BBC

Guest michaelfoster

Guest Heneage

Obvious as f*** the s*** players who have contributed to this mess would come straight out licking Shearer's arse.

It's all a shameful and naive PR campaign, tell the fans you love the manager who has God like status at the club and that you are willing to fight for the club and won't leave. They must think we were all born after the full time whistle yesterday.

Obvious as fuck the shit players who have contributed to this mess would come straight out licking Shearer's arse.

They've ALL been shit. Even Bassong is only being hero-worshipped because he's young and not quite as shit as the others.

Obvious as fuck the shit players who have contributed to this mess would come straight out licking Shearer's arse.

They've ALL been shit. Even Bassong is only being hero-worshipped because he's young and not quite as shit as the others.

Not disputing that.

Guest mikefin

Despite what everyone is saying i think Duff actually cares, he was one of only a few players who looked genuinely upset after the whistle yesterday. I'm not his biggest fan at all, but i thought in recent weeks he's really put in a decent shift especially at left back and has never hid once.

That's all well and good but it doesn't change the fact he doesn't get enough crosses in or score enough goals. Even at Championship level you have to do those things. A good attitude is ok but it's not worth 70 grand a week.

And who is that player who get enough crosses or score enough goals..? Lets see.. We dont have any! And do you know what... There is no chance that championship team can buy player like that! Actually, its not even possible to get anyone like Duff in.

So if you now think that Duff is not good enough, you must feel assraped in august when you see all those Ameobi-likes in our squad.

I'm not sure why everyone's so surprised or happy that Duff's said he'll stay.

He's on £60k a week, and has done nothing to justify that. He'll not earn anywhere near that amount anywhere else, he'd be mad to leave. I doubt we could sell him even if we tried, never mind get someone to match his wages.

He was one of the few in tear after the match and I am sure it was not just because of the part he played int heir goal. He cares and we need players that care, I have no problem with us keeping him non at all.

He was one of the few in tear after the match and I am sure it was not just because of the part he played int heir goal. He cares and we need players that care, I have no problem with us keeping him non at all.

He's fucking shit man. Let's not pretend him doing a passable job filling in at left back recently means he's suddenly not shit.

lets think about this for a sec. this statement comes 1 day after we are relegated. surely if hes just staying here for the money, hed wait to see what better options are available. he'd wait for someone like blackburn hull stoke to come with the money. yes maybe not as much but surely hed give it a while to weigh up his options? he has just issued a statement the next day which for me proclaims loyalty. ill be gutted if he stays on 70k a week though. and for those saying noone will pay nearly that, hull signed jimmy bulllard from fulham purely because they offered him huge wages (if you agree with the flham fans) and so maybe we have hope of getting rid of a few.

Don't all players have relegation clauses in their contracts these days? We signed Duff when we we'd just finished 14th didn't we? Surely even a club as badly run as ours wouldn't be so stupid as to have overlooked this.

Don't all players have relegation clauses in their contracts these days? We signed Duff when we we'd just finished 14th didn't we? Surely even a club as badly run as ours wouldn't be so stupid as to have overlooked this.

Duff will certainly have. Doubt Jonas/Colo etc have though.

Duff only comes behind Ameobi in terms of players I've criticized in recent years, but his recent left-back performances have somewhat won me over. If he'd take a paycut and Enrique was to leave then I wouldn't mind him staying as our first choice left-back. Still think he is finished as a winger, shown absolutely nothing since his arrival to indicate otherwise.

He's f***ing s*** man. Let's not pretend him doing a passable job filling in at left back recently means he's suddenly not s***.

Yeah we'll just go out and sign Ribery.

He's f***ing s*** man. Let's not pretend him doing a passable job filling in at left back recently means he's suddenly not s***.

Yeah we'll just go out and sign Ribery.

He'd be shit at left back fwiw.

He'll be alright in the Championship, actually gone up a tad in my book over the last few weeks. Wish he'd bloody shoot though, countless times he had space to run into and the chance to his a long ranger and chose to cut in or out and go for the pass. Remember him having a decent shot as well, used to score a fair few from a way out.

Duff has been one of our better players recently (although its not saying much). I think he could do quite well next year for us.

It all depends on his wages for me. IF he is on the oft-mentioned £60-65k per week and even if he has had a 25% cut or whatever, then he'll still be getting paid far too much for what his contribution will be.

That's how it's going to have to be done, unfortunately, comparing what a player is getting paid compared to what his on-pitch value has been and will be next season in the Championship. That's why the dolts running the club need to get Shearer to put pen to paper and start sorting this mess out ASAP.

The wage structure will have to be completely re-written before anything is done. I'm not optimistic about the whole thing, not at all.

Like him as a player or not, really dont think Damien Duffs the kind of guy to come out and say this if he was only doing it for the money. he would keep his head down and avoid any attention.

we are going to have to accept that we will no longer be able to attract players of a higher standerd than Duff, young players with potential maybe. if the club can affored to pay him and the manager wants him then we would be silly to get rid of him.

He's clearly not the player he was, but in the Championship I think he could be very useful for us, and on the right wages I'd definitely keep him. I don't think some people realise quite how much our stock has just fallen. We're a Championship club now.

Of course we could go and sign an up and coming Championship winger, someone on lower wages with perhaps less in his locker but more pace and maybe more desire. But it'd set us back a few million, and once we gut our squad I reckon we'll be lacking in quite a bit of experience. Not only that, but sometimes it's better the devil you know. There are mercenaries in every league, and we're the type of club that attracts them. You can be sure there'll be Championship players young and old with questionable attitude who see us as an easy ticket, as well as rejects from Premier League clubs. And perhaps above all, we may be needing a right winger and have countless other positions to fill. Does it really save money to sell him for next to nothing if his replacement costs 3M and earns 20K a week?

We're going to have to make massive changes to our squad, and our team will take time to gel, yet they'll be under pressure to get instant results. If we can keep an experienced player who seems to give a s***, has played under pressure at the highest level and will be good quality in the championship, then of course we should consider it.

I suspect the club will be offering incentives based on promotion, in an effort to try and keep some of the players for another year on lower wages.