RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fake edit: Or is what .com saying is that he'll just forget about the £110m he's put in and just sell the club for £100m straight, taking the £110m as a loss?

thats how i read it, until they put the liability part in?

How much did Ashley pay for the club? £134m for the all the shares plus taking on the £80m debt, am I right? That means he paid about £210m for the club.

He's put £110m in at interest-free rate into the club. I imagine he'll sell for £100m and change the interest on the debt to something more standard (7% or something). It depends on how willing the new owners will be to finance a spending-spree of sorts because we're already losing money every month.

Fake edit: Or is what .com saying is that he'll just forget about the £110m he's put in and just sell the club for £100m straight, taking the £110m as a loss?

Possibly Ashley is thinking that he's going to have to throw another £50m into the club's coffers this season and any further seasons we stay in the Championship, even if we manage to rebound straight back into the Premiership it'll require another £50m to fund the club when we get there.

Even if the club somehow managed to start turning a profit that would allow the club to start paying that loan back, how long would it take before he got his money back?  10 years? 20 years?

By selling up now and writing off the £110m loan he gets to walk away with £100m in cash and won't have to put any additional funds into the club with no guarantees of him ever getting that money back.

Depends on how much he sells the club for and whether he's going to write off that £110m or not, innit?

Well if he's writing off the money he put in, he's selling a club for £100m that he bought for £134m + at least the £110m he put in. That's quite a tidy loss.

We're given to understand that the £100m price tag is an "all-in" price and that Ashley has written off the estimated £110m of additional funding that he shored up the club with - in other words a new owner does inherit that extra sum as a liability.

Could make us a hell of a lot more attractive.

I'm inclined to think he'll take what he can get especially with wages running so high (money that has to be found every month) till they are shifted. Might not be so  easy to shift either.

Aye, the wages until Owen/Viduka/Cacapa/etc fuck off are just dead money now the season is over. The quicker he gets out the better for him.

If you think about it (assuming Owen is on £105,000 a week as many papers and FM document) then from the final day on May 24th, Owen will make £525,000, over half a million, from simply going into training for a couple of days and then sunning it and watching racehorses, in 5 weeks.

There will probably be some excessive loyalty bonus for him seeing out his contract too.

He should be made to work by NUFC until his contract expires in my opinion.

If he's willing to write off the £110m and basically just take the first £100m offer he can and fuck off, surely that means we'll actually be pretty damn attractive?

Alright we're relegated, have a shit squad and a ridiculous wage bill, but we still have world class facilities and a huge stadium that needs no work. Many of our players will still raise money if flogged. We have a bloke the fans love all but committed to managing the team.

Playing staff aside, this is still a club fully equipped for the Premier League. For £100m there's a hell of a lot of potential in NUFC.

If he's willing to write off the £110m and basically just take the first £100m offer he can and f*** off, surely that means we'll actually be pretty damn attractive?

Alright we're relegated, have a s*** squad and a ridiculous wage bill, but we still have world class facilities and a huge stadium that needs no work. Many of our players will still raise money if flogged. We have a bloke the fans love all but committed to managing the team.

Playing staff aside, this is still a club fully equipped for the Premier League. For £100m there's a hell of a lot of potential in NUFC.

In theory, it's an absolute steal and holds great potential for those willing to take the risk of rebuilding a huge football club.

In reality, it's also arguably an incredibly reduced price which means that any old Joe Consortium could come along and take. I just hope we get someone who can comfortably afford £100m opposed to a group that just manage to scrape it together.

If he's willing to write off the £110m and basically just take the first £100m offer he can and fuck off, surely that means we'll actually be pretty damn attractive?

Alright we're relegated, have a shit squad and a ridiculous wage bill, but we still have world class facilities and a huge stadium that needs no work. Many of our players will still raise money if flogged. We have a bloke the fans love all but committed to managing the team.

Much more so than Portsmouth where you have to pay £34m and sign a contract to agree to finance a £300m stadium that isn't going to get filled.

If he's willing to write off the £110m and basically just take the first £100m offer he can and f*** off, surely that means we'll actually be pretty damn attractive?

Alright we're relegated, have a s*** squad and a ridiculous wage bill, but we still have world class facilities and a huge stadium that needs no work. Many of our players will still raise money if flogged. We have a bloke the fans love all but committed to managing the team.

In theory, it's an absolute steal and holds great potential for those willing to take the risk of rebuilding a huge football club.

In reality, it's also arguably an incredibly reduced price which means that any old Joe Consortium could come along and take. I just hope we get someone who can comfortably afford £100m opposed to a group that just manage to scrape it together.

:sadnod:

The risk of rebuilding us is pretty large though, especially for the next few years in which any owner will have to accept that they're going to lose money.

A sensible thing would be to get a new loan on the stadium, done at a reasonable rate (shame the economy's shit and the banks are being tight) and use that money to get us up into the Premiership. But any new owner will have to prepared for the worst i.e. staying in the CC for a couple of years and losing a lot of money.

Caulkin is saying he will write it off and he is ultra reliable.  He also writes for the Times who Ashley has clearly been speaking to.  He wants rid and this is a good way to expediate things.

Caulkin is saying he will write it off and he is ultra reliable.  He also writes for the Times who Ashley has clearly been speaking to.  He wants rid and this is a good way to expediate things.

I was gonna post that article but they appear to have pulled it...

Guest fading star

What choice has he got? He won’t / can’t put in the money needed to sort this mess out. The longer he leaves it to sell up the less he’ll get.

I think it's more likely he will just write it off at this point tbh.

Imagine if he hadn't held out for that ridiculous amount of £400 million he would have been out last Christmas and would have lost a lot less money.

I don't think he risks it again this time around. It seems he has thrown is hands up and is making the club available at a price that will definitely attract buyers.

I just hope that this is indeed the case.

Guest habibbeye

If it sells quickly then Ashley might have done everybody a huge favour ie wiped out the debt. We were headed for admin under FS???

If it's true that Ashley is selling the club for £100 million then credit where credit is due! He's been nothing but a disaster for the club but it takes a lot for someone to just walk away losing around £100 million in the process! He’d at least be allowed to leave the club with his head held high. For a new owner to come in with the slate wiped clean would be fantastic for the club and there would be no excuse for not getting promoted next year because the Championship is not a good league. Any decent investment would get us promoted, even if that came in as late as August.

So if the £100 million is wiped off in a perverse way Ashley might just be one of the best things to happen to Newcastle and for that I’d say thanks!

One thing for sure I'd bet quite a lot on Ashley not selling to a consortium connected to Freddie Sheppard, there's no way he'd wipe that sort of debt off and then sell the club to one of the people responsible for it!

Guest fading star

If it's true that Ashley is selling the club for £100 million then credit where credit is due! He's been nothing but a disaster for the club but it takes a lot for someone to just walk away losing around £100 million in the process! He’d at least be allowed to leave the club with his head held high. For a new owner to come in with the slate wiped clean would be fantastic for the club and there would be no excuse for not getting promoted next year because the Championship is not a good league. Any decent investment would get us promoted, even if that came in as late as August.

So if the £100 million is wiped off in a perverse way Ashley might just be one of the best things to happen to Newcastle and for that I’d say thanks!

One thing for sure I'd bet quite a lot on Ashley not selling to a consortium connected to Freddie Sheppard, there's no way he'd wipe that sort of debt off and then sell the club to one of the people responsible for it!

:weep: He hasn’t got any choice. Trying to get Shearer to sign up to a deal that suited Mike Ashley and hoping for a miracle was his last throw of the dice. Fortunately Shearer seems to have stuck to his guns and declined the offer to oversee the asset stripping.

Now Ashley has two options. Hang around watching his entire investment get wiped out, or sell now for what he can get. It’s a choice between losing £150m or losing £250m.