RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SJH is a f***ing hypocrite for suggesting the players should put the interests of the club first when he did anything but 2 years ago

SJH did champion Martinez as a potentially good choice for manager after Fat Sam was sacked. That suggests to me that his knowledge of football is miles better than either Ashley or Shepherd. Whether he's a hypocrite, I don't know, I can't say I blame him for wanting to take the money the mess Shepherd was creating at the time. Definitely the most intelligent Chairman I've seen in charge at Newcastle though.

He also wanted SBR after KK resigned in 97 - had SBR come then, I reckon we would have won several trophies in the following years..

He also agreed to sign Shearer - I saw on here a few days ago that one poster had credited Shepherd with Shearer coming to the club - this was rubbish ; Shepherd didn't talk over as Chairman until Dec 97.

NOBODY could blame Sir John for selling his shares - he came to the club as a catalyst for change and DID that - health reasons led him to step down as Chairman, and by the time Ashley wanted to buy the club, Sir John was 74 years old...people ought to remember this, because everyone on here will probably face old age at some stage.

He did almost what he set out to do(we didn't win the title, which was what he wanted) at a time when nobody else would take on McKeag & Co - grow up and accept the facts instead of acting like spoilt kids who had their toys taken away ; ANYONE would have sold at his age, and being told by the buyer that they wanted the best for the club - it seems some on here would have preferred it if Shepherd had taken total control....

SJH is a f***ing hypocrite for suggesting the players should put the interests of the club first when he did anything but 2 years ago

Surely he wasn't to know that a struggling billionaire who had no knowledge of running football clubs or this area was going to fail?....oh wait... ;)

It amazes me that people are having a go at SJH for selling up, do you have such short memories?

At the time of the takeover, Mike Ashley was one of Britain's wealthiest persons with an estimated net worth of 2bn, and there was no sign of the credit crunch whatsoever.

Iirc, the vast majority of fans, including the ones on this board, supported the takeover and thought MA would turn the club around, why would've SJH thought otherwise? Most of us were fed up with FFS and welcomed the prospect of a new owner with resources to strenghten the declining club. As it turns out, we were wrong, but I fail to understand why should SJH take any kind of blame, when at the time everything indicated that it would be a good move for the club (and for him as well). I guess he and FFS would've been fucking lynched had they refused to sell.

As for selling the club to someone with no football knowledge, it's not like Roman Abramovic had any kind of knowledge of running a footbal club when he took over Chlsea, nor did SJH when he took over NUFC back then, yet both of them were successful.

Good post. I wish more would accept and admit they were wrong.

Suppose the problem is the naive belief that :

a) Ambition is a given

b) Challenging for so long but not actually winning owt is total and abject failure and no different to relegation

Curbishley - a boring manager playing boring football so I guess everyone else would get bored of us as well!

He's a boring manager but his teams don't play boring football. If you're looking for a manager who can maximise the benefits of a good youth system, he's your man.

Indeed, his teams have always been good passing and attacking teams.

Complete conjecture I know but....

The way I read it in The Journal Wednesday seemed like the start of the due diligence process as a whole.  In other wors all parties had to prove they had the cash by then and then they could all start looking at the books.  A deadline of sorts to weed out the charlatans who don't have the cash and therefore move things forward.  I think you can make a bid before doing due diligence, so the American thing coule be true?

Shepherd wrote part of the article in the NOTW and he is Ashley's mate isn't he (even claimed that he was advising Ashley at soem points) and so part or all of it may be true. Or planted in order to keep people on side/ sell season tickets.

Guest pont-toon

Sunday tomorrow, I can see this thread reaching 200 pages by dinner time. The People, The Sunday Sun & NOTW are bound to have mountauns of s**** about our takeover.

Sunday Sun reckons Fat Fred is not fronting a consortium but is trying to buy the club back with his bro, Bruce and mini me Kenny

bizarre

Surely he wasn't to know that a struggling billionaire who had no knowledge of running football clubs or this area was going to fail?....oh wait... ;)

It amazes me that people are having a go at SJH for selling up, do you have such short memories?

At the time of the takeover, Mike Ashley was one of Britain's wealthiest persons with an estimated net worth of 2bn, and there was no sign of the credit crunch whatsoever.

Iirc, the vast majority of fans, including the ones on this board, supported the takeover and thought MA would turn the club around, why would've SJH thought otherwise? Most of us were fed up with FFS and welcomed the prospect of a new owner with resources to strenghten the declining club. As it turns out, we were wrong, but I fail to understand why should SJH take any kind of blame, when at the time everything indicated that it would be a good move for the club (and for him as well). I guess he and FFS would've been f***ing lynched had they refused to sell.

As for selling the club to someone with no football knowledge, it's not like Roman Abramovic had any kind of knowledge of running a footbal club when he took over Chlsea, nor did SJH when he took over NUFC back then, yet both of them were successful.

a) Ambition is a given

b) Challenging for so long but not actually winning owt is total and abject failure and no different to relegation

c) nobody can be worse than the current lot. Most fans fell into this trap with Ashley, and I'm afraid we may be doing it again with Fred..

Iirc, the vast majority of fans, including the ones on this board, supported the takeover and thought MA would turn the club around, why would've SJH thought otherwise? Most of us were fed up with FFS and welcomed the prospect of a new owner with resources to strenghten the declining club. As it turns out, we were wrong, but I fail to understand why should SJH take any kind of blame, when at the time everything indicated that it would be a good move for the club (and for him as well). I guess he and FFS would've been f***ing lynched had they refused to sell.

a) Ambition is a given

c) nobody can be worse than the current lot. Most fans fell into this trap with Ashley, and I'm afraid we may be doing it again with Fred..

Not really.

What's needed right now is to get back into the PL as soon as possible. That means making funds available for rebuilding the team. The risk of not doing that is failure to win promotion next season and the task becoming increasingly difficult year on year after that. It will not be easy to win promotion as it is.

The previous Board with Fred as Chairman was far from perfect but they had the ambition to make funds available for team building. Any group taking over the club with Fred installed as Chairman is almost certainly going to fund team rebuilding, it is then down to the manager to make something of it. As always. I don't believe Fred would be involved in coming back to the club without that intention of making funds available for players. If that's naive then so be it.

Last season when Llambias was asked if the club had a contingency plan if we got relegated he said yes. Little did we realise at the time that that plan was to sell the club. I do however think that even if we hadn't been relegated Mike Ashley would have tried to sell the club.

a) Ambition is a given

Not really.

What's needed right now is to get back into the PL as soon as possible. That means making funds available for rebuilding the team. The risk of not doing that is failure to win promotion next season and the task becoming increasingly difficult year on year after that. It will not be easy to win promotion as it is.

The previous Board with Fred as Chairman was far from perfect but they had the ambition to make funds available for team building. Any group taking over the club with Fred installed as Chairman is almost certainly going to fund team rebuilding, it is then down to the manager to make something of it. As always. I don't believe Fred would be involved in coming back to the club without that intention of making funds available for players. If that's naive then so be it.

Mmm, I would rather we move forward with a new owner willing to move us forward. We just need to leave the past five years behind us and look forward to a better future. Of course, there are worse options than Shepherd, Profitable Group being a prime example by the looks of it, but I would hope there would also be better options.. As always though, we should be careful what we wish for and remain critical of what any new owner actually does with the club. As many learned with Ashley, talk is cheap..

I come by here about as much as I used to but I find myself with absolutely no desire to comment on anything.

What kind of interesting things can you say when you're watching a massive train wreck in slow motion with a dozen of your friends and family on board?

Guest Walking in a waddle wonde

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2009/06/14/shearer-hoping-shepherd-can-be-saviour-of-toon-79310-23871568/

Shearer hoping Shepherd can be saviour of Toon

Jun 14 2009 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

Freddy Shepherd

ALAN SHEARER is refusing to walk away from Newcastle United – in the hope of Freddy Shepherd buying the club.

Although deeply frustrated after THREE WEEKS waiting to be offered the Magpies’ manager’s job full time, Shearer is defying talk last weekend that he would abandon the idea.

But the former United captain, pictured left, is pinning his hopes on Shepherd making progress in his takeover bid to break the overall deadlock.

That is despite fresh talk of a major rival bid for Newcastle being imminent from an as-yet unknown foreign group.

As the Sunday Sun revealed a week ago, Shepherd, main picture, has begun the exhaustive process of due diligence – going through Newcastle’s books – in his attempt to buy out Mike Ashley.

I can now also confirm that Shepherd’s move is an all-Geordie affair, with the former United chairman, his brother Bruce and son Kenneth working to raise their own finance.

And, perhaps most significantly, Shearer – who could return to his contract as a BBC pundit at any time – favours a Shepherd takeover above any of the other deals so far mooted for the Magpies.

Having brushed off the talk of him quitting Toon last week, Shearer met the Shepherds on Tuesday for talks which left the one-time England skipper in a positive mood.

A source close to the discussions confirmed that Shearer is warm on the idea of working under his former chairman again, saying: “Alan Shearer is very interested in what the Shepherd camp have to say.

“He would prefer to deal with people he knows, and he knows exactly what he will get from that group.

“Newcastle United is the football club Alan Shearer wants to manage, and that is why he has waited patiently for a breakthough.

“But he cannot wait forever, as the BBC will soon want to know if he is going back there.”

Newcastle’s predicament has been thrown into further confusion by their bizarre invitation to would-be buyers to contact them by email, and several other applications which are feared to be publicity-driven.

But there are suggestions that Seymour Pierce, the investment bank asked by Ashley to broker a sale, are expecting a serious offer from new bidders in the next few days.

Even so, Shepherd will take his time finding out what his accountants make of Newcastle’s books and any potential extra costs hidden therein.

Possible complicating factors include the likelihood of future revenues from three-year season tickets sold last summer already having been banked, and cut-price two-year corporate box deals now being sold.

A still-to-be agreed settlement package for Kevin Keegan, details of the £5 million compensation payment due for Jonas Gutierrez and the payment arrangements on player purchases made in January are also to be explored.

And all parties interested in a takeover will seek clarification on whether any or all of the £248m-worth of loans detailed in Newcastle’s last set of accounts would be due to Ashley upon his departure from the club.

Must say that if the Sunday Sun is right on this one - very worrying. I bet Willie McKay is rubbing his hands with glee, at the prospect of a Shepherd-run Newcastle.

With regard to Sir John - can any of his supporters tell me how much he and his son made from the club, during their tenure? It's not a few million - more like tens of millions. They were as bad as Fat Freddy for cash disappearing into his back pocket from the club.

a) Ambition is a given

Not really.

Mmm, I would rather we move forward with a new owner willing to move us forward. We just need to leave the past five years behind us and look forward to a better future. Of course, there are worse options than Shepherd, Profitable Group being a prime example by the looks of it, but I would hope there would also be better options.. As always though, we should be careful what we wish for and remain critical of what any new owner actually does with the club. As many learned with Ashley, talk is cheap..

But there are no guarantees any new owner will move the club forward.  And I really mean any. That includes any group led by Fred.

All I'm looking for is as good a guarantee as possible that someone new will make money available to rebuild the team. I think that kind of guarantee can only come from a group headed by Fred, and as I said earlier, it will then be down to the manager to build that team. Any other new owner may or may not put up the resources to rebuild the team, that's been proven by the inept Ashley.

£248m worth of loans.. :lol: :idiot2:

Arsenal £300m debt

Man Utd £700m debt

Obviously for some people Championship football with no debt is better than challenging at the top with debt.  :lol: :idiot2:

What on earth has that got to do with my post?, or even the situation mentioned in that article? ???

The point of my post was that we don't have loans of anywhere near £248m, its yet another outragous claim from the rags.

£248m worth of loans.. :lol: :idiot2:

Arsenal £300m debt

Man Utd £700m debt

Obviously for some people Championship football with no debt is better than challenging at the top with debt.  :lol: :idiot2:

What on earth has that got to do with my post?, or even the situation mentioned in that article? ???

The point of my post was that we don't have loans of anywhere near £248m, its yet another outragous claim from the rags.

I was talking about investing in players and you followed it up with a comment about debt and an idiot thingy. It seemed you were whinging about the concept of  a football club being in debt.