RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If the wage bill is going to be that much of a problem then I can't see many players we can afford to keep in that squad. How much was Martins reported to be on, £65,000? If we're getting rid of one of our better players on that sort of wage then surely that means that we want shot of nearly everyone but our youth players. I would like to see a lot of them leave, but where does this leave us if we're not in the market for players.  Coloccini, Smith, Barton, Duff and Geremi must surely be on the priority list to get rod if (although we will be lucky to find any takers for half decent fee). Its likely that Harper, Beye, Enrique, Taylor, Butt, Nolan, and Jonas aren't far of £50,000+ a week as well. Out of that lot I reckon only Harper and Taylor will be spared if bids come in. It seems like we only have Bassong, R.Taylor, Guthrie, Ameobi, Carroll and the kids who are likely to be on manageable wages.

I realise i've just stated the obvious but it hits home even more when he's just come out and stated Martins had to go due to his salary, yet he is one of our better players and we have loads of players on £50,000+ a week.

It wouldn't be totally impossible for us to keep a player on 50-60,000 a week IF he actually wanted to stay and was worth keeping.  However I can't think of a single player that fits the bill so yeah loads of them will go unless the new owner is willing to subsidise the wage structure for a season or two.

At a guess I'd say we could afford a wage bill in the thirty million range at most in the Championship based on the revenue we'd be expected to achieve (at least until the parachute payments stop).  That's a huge wage for a Championship club but our turnover will also be huge for a Championship club.  We've cut out about 400 thousand a week so far but our wage bill must still be in the mid fifty million range at the moment so I'd say we've got another 300 thousand a week to cut out somewhere if we're going to sustain ourselves financially.

I'm afraid to say Keith Harris remains more believeable to me than some random on an internet forum.

Really? I'd believe Thomo, Nicko and even Ally before I believed Keith Harris. The man is a professional bullshit merchant.

So you reckon a sale is imminent?

Nope. I didn't believe it last September when Keith Harris said it was either, nor when he said it was in June. If he said the sky was blue, I'd have to go outside and check.

But Harris isn't the one saying the sale is going to be any time soon... :lol:

I don't particularly believe Thomo either. I'm more inclined to believe him than Ashley's hired liar though, was my point.

Fair comment.

What a shame we're reduced to this, with Sir Bobby left the last shred of genuine integrity related to this club.

If player/s are being sold to help pay for wages (as Harris has suggested with the sale of Martins) that tells me that the interested parties are not very well off - one things for certain it aint gonna be DIC

Sale or No sale the high earners have to go to bring the wagebill down. It should have been done months ago.

As for Harris shouldnt his company be sending someone else to have a go if the useless c*** cant find a buyer after a f***ing year.

I agree that the high earners should go - more so when you consider last season they were either a) shit or b) didnt contribute enough

BUT Harris seemed to be suggesting that the £9 Mill from Martins sale will be used to run the club which is attractive to prospective buyers - which is why it rules out DIC cos they more than enough money to run the club so i doubt they would care about players being sold or insist on them being sold beforehand, same i guess would go for another Dubai Consortium

This means that either a) Harris is chatting shit or b) the people looking to buy us are not filthy rich

I'm afraid to say Keith Harris remains more believeable to me than some random on an internet forum.

Really? I'd believe Thomo, Nicko and even Ally before I believed Keith Harris. The man is a professional bullshit merchant.

Nope. I didn't believe it last September when Keith Harris said it was either, nor when he said it was in June. If he said the sky was blue, I'd have to go outside and check.

I don't particularly believe Thomo either. I'm more inclined to believe him than Ashley's hired liar though, was my point.

Harris & Lambias are both Ashley's hired lairs though

Was it just me who thought Harris stressed more than once that he was acting on behalf of buyers aswell. What does he mean by that?

didn't catch it clearly enough but it could be that in all the deals he has worked on he was worked for buyesr aswell as sellers. don't know if it meant he was working for buyers and sellers in our particular,singular,case.

Guest Dennis Carter

If player/s are being sold to help pay for wages (as Harris has suggested with the sale of Martins) that tells me that the interested parties are not very well off - one things for certain it aint gonna be DIC

I don't think it will be a case of interested buyers not being well off I think it would be more of a case of people who have never run a football club before not wanting to come in having to offload a lot of big earners for decent prices with the transfer window drawing to a close. Better to get these liabilities (in more ways than one) shot from the club before a potential takeover.

If potential buyers made it clear that they won't consider an offer while high earners are on the books then the current idiots in charge will do all they can to get shot of them touting them all through Europe which would save a potential new board a job.

Guest Heneage

Fair comment.

What a shame we're reduced to this, with Sir Bobby left the last shred of genuine integrity related to this club.

You're just being dramatic now.

Was it just me who thought Harris stressed more than once that he was acting on behalf of buyers aswell. What does he mean by that?

didn't catch it clearly enough but it could be that in all the deals he has worked on he was worked for buyesr aswell as sellers. don't know if it meant he was working for buyers and sellers in our particular,singular,case.

Surely there would be a conflict of interests if he was dealing for both sides. Didn't agents get told off for doing that a couple of years ago?

Fair comment.

Oh we're absolutely fucked, big time. When a club is being left to rot like we are, you'd hope the governing bodies would be able to step in and do something but obviously, it's not practical.

The Premier League "fit and proper" persons test or whatever it's called failed us big time. It shouldn't be checking their humanitarian record, more whether they actually have any intention of running the club anywhere other than into the ground. I'd have Hitler and Pol Pot any day ahead of this despicable cunt.

Surely there would be a conflict of interests if he was dealing for both sides. Didn't agents get told off for doing that a couple of years ago?

thats why i wouldn't thin k he is working for both in our case.

Yes the club will be sold this month, to a Dubai Consortium, I still stand by what I told you guys, it obviously isnt going to be today but believe me it will happen.

Until Mike Ashley stands up and says "Iam taking the club off the market" I stand by every single thing I have said so far. I have the faith in my ITK

Do you honestly believe that we are going to buy some players under Mike Ashley, no chance, who would choose the players.

There is more to this than what Harris says, it will happen guys, stay with me.

I believe you fella, and believe your ITK is telling you what he's been told. However, as you've said all along, this info is direct from Llambias and that's where the problem lies.

That oily geppy twat couldn't tell the truth if his life depended on it, and there's no way anyone is going to shell out approx £250m to buy this club. Unless Ashley drops his price substantially, we will not be sold.

I was told Tuesday/Wednesday, Harris says it will not, but it will happen and soon.  :thup:

Portsmouth have outlined their financial plight and said it they will need to sell more players if a proposed takeover falls through.

The club said it believed Sulaiman al-Fahim, who is heading up a group of investors from the United Arab Emirates, was still committed to buying Portsmouth and strengthening the team.

However, in a statement on the club website it added: "While it is our intention to add strength to the existing squad we cannot rule out the possibility of selling more players should the takeover not happen."

The statement was issued after Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie was quoted in a leaked letter to a fan as saying it had been tough keeping the south-coast club going.

It said no new finance had been available since French-born owner Alexandre Gaydamak decided to sell nine months ago.

With the proposed takeover still not completed the club has been left in financial limbo and key players, such as striker Peter Crouch and fullback Glen Johnson, have had to be sold.

"During this transitional phase the priority has been to keep the Football Club operating," said the statement on the club's official website.

"The need to meet scheduled loan repayments to banks has meant that the club has had to sell players such as (midfielder) Lassana Diarra and (striker) Jermain Defoe in January and more recently Peter Crouch and Glen Johnson.

Portsmouth lost almost £17m in the 2007/08 financial year despite winning the FA Cup and have had to shelve plans for a new stadium.

"We know only too well that we need to add to the first team squad but at this moment in time there is a limited amount we can do until the takeover is completed," the statement said.

"We can assure everybody that Peter Storrie, the board and everyone at the club is working tirelessly to keep (it) running as smoothly as possible in these difficult circumstances."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=665015&sec=england&cc=5901

Portsmouth are not sure if their deal go through are this the same investors eyeing us up after they saw Portsmouth book and everything? I was surprised why it took them 3 month to finalise the sale of that club....

Just listened to the Newcastle bit of the interview, and the end of the month comments were pretty much put in his mouth by the interviewer. The bit about local influence being important was also quite an interesting point, but that doesn't neccesarily mean Shepherd. Barry Moat was mentioned in the Chronicle back by Middle Eastern money. It's something that was mentioned last time we were up for sale. I just think that could be where we're going.

If there are players going out/coming in and Shearer is lined up to take charge when the takeover goes through, he could still advise who goes/stays. Martins would have gone with Shearer at the helm anyway, and it could be why we're digging our heels in over the fees for Beye/Bassong.

I think if a takeover is imminent, as has been mentioned, Keith Harris couldn't come out and say anyway. Key thing I thought about (and it's just a theory), if the takeover was announced Friday or even Saturday morning, that would give the players a huge lift ahead of Saturday's game, with Shearer maybe taking over on the Monday. There have been quotes attributed to Shearer saying he would be a summariser for Saturday's game, nothing mentioned about the rest of the season.

Guest Jungle Barry

Just listened to the Newcastle bit of the interview, and the end of the month comments were pretty much put in his mouth by the interviewer. The bit about local influence being important was also quite an interesting point, but that doesn't neccesarily mean Shepherd. Barry Moat was mentioned in the Chronicle back by Middle Eastern money. It's something that was mentioned last time we were up for sale. I just think that could be where we're going.

If there are players going out/coming in and Shearer is lined up to take charge when the takeover goes through, he could still advise who goes/stays. Martins would have gone with Shearer at the helm anyway, and it could be why we're digging our heels in over the fees for Beye/Bassong.

I think if a takeover is imminent, as has been mentioned, Keith Harris couldn't come out and say anyway. Key thing I thought about (and it's just a theory), if the takeover was announced Friday or even Saturday morning, that would give the players a huge lift ahead of Saturday's game, with Shearer maybe taking over on the Monday. There have been quotes attributed to Shearer saying he would be a summariser for Saturday's game, nothing mentioned about the rest of the season.

Wishful thinking?

Hope you're right, this is driving me insane

Love how Dave's turned into Northern Monkey. :lol:

Don't be ridiculous. :lol:

I just desperately wanted to enjoy this season, and I think I'd have been able to do that even if Ashley wasn't 'trying' to sell the club. As it is, we're just coasting along to oblivion.

Friday deadline?

Mike Ashley set to stay at Newcastle another year

Helen Power

Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, is paving the way to retain possession of the relegated club for at least another year.

The Times has learnt that Ashley and Seymour Pierce, the investment bank charged with handling the sale of the club, has set the two consortiums still involved in substantive negotiations an informal deadline of Friday to buy Newcastle.

The consortiums have already missed a deadline of July 31. However, it is understood that Ashley views the the beginning of the Coca-Cola Championship season this weekend as a crucial time.

Once it has passed — although a sale would still be possible — the chances of a deal being completed will rapidly diminish, with the closure of the transfer window at the end of the month preventing a prospective new owner from buying or selling players.

If he cannot secure a sale at or near his asking price, the sportswear retailer intends to recommit himself for another 12 months in the hope that a return to the Barclays Premier League will be achieved at the first attempt.

“It all depends on how much the consortiums are willing to pay and how much they are willing to subsidise the club,” a source said. “Mr Ashley might take the view he would be a better owner.” A source in the City said the chances of a sale proceeding now stand at no better than 50-50.

Since announcing his intention to sell Newcastle in the immediate aftermath of their demotion, Ashley has refused to appoint a new manager, in spite of stating that attracting Alan Shearer to St James’ Park for the final eight games of last season was his “best decision” on Tyneside.

His logic has been a desire not to impinge upon the potential plans of new owners, but that, as well as a reluctance to buy players, has contributed to a state of limbo at the club. Shearer, who is on holiday in Portugal, remains eager to lead his home-town club on a permanent basis, but has not been briefed by the Newcastle hierarchy.

Sources close to Ashley confirmed that, should he stay on, his priority will be to hire a manager — Newcastle have ruled out the prospect of Joe Kinnear returning, but Alan Curbishley has also been linked with the role — and retain as many players as possible. He would pump about £40 million of his own money into the club to cover their wage bill and help them in their attempt to secure promotion.

At present, Newcastle are operating with a Barclays Bank overdraft of about £40 million, while their annual wage bill stood at £67 million in their most recent published accounts. That figure has been reduced by the departures of Michael Owen to Manchester United, Mark Viduka and Obafemi Martins, who joined Wolfsburg last week for a fee of £9 million.

The identity of the two consortiums remains a tightly kept secret — both signed confidentiality agreements when they provided proof of funds to begin the process of due diligence — although it is understood that at least one is from the Middle East. A group based in the United States has also been involved in talks in some capacity.

Ashley and Seymour Pierce are believed to have dismissed the viability of a consortium involving Freddie Shepherd because the former Newcastle chairman is reluctant or unwilling to raise enough money. Ashley invited bids of £100 million through the club website this summer.

Senior figures at St James’ Park have consistently denied that Ashley is considering putting Newcastle into administration, a move that would lead to them being deducted 12 points by the Football League.

Keith Harris, executive chairman of Seymour Pierce, expressed optimism last night that a sale could still be completed by the end of the month, but that the prospective buyers wished to see further evidence of the wage bill being reduced before committing themselves.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6739474.ece

Love how Dave's turned into Northern Monkey. :lol:

Don't be ridiculous. :lol:

I just desperately wanted to enjoy this season, and I think I'd have been able to do that even if Ashley wasn't 'trying' to sell the club. As it is, we're just coasting along to oblivion.

Nah I know what you mean. I've gone the other way and embraced apathy.

Guest Chris P

:lol: Let's take a break.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8750/161799065131d0f99ff.jpg

What do you see?

An angry dragon.

I can't see the spunk coming out her nose

Friday deadline?

Mike Ashley set to stay at Newcastle another year

Helen Power

Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, is paving the way to retain possession of the relegated club for at least another year.

The Times has learnt that Ashley and Seymour Pierce, the investment bank charged with handling the sale of the club, has set the two consortiums still involved in substantive negotiations an informal deadline of Friday to buy Newcastle.

The consortiums have already missed a deadline of July 31. However, it is understood that Ashley views the the beginning of the Coca-Cola Championship season this weekend as a crucial time.

Once it has passed — although a sale would still be possible — the chances of a deal being completed will rapidly diminish, with the closure of the transfer window at the end of the month preventing a prospective new owner from buying or selling players.

If he cannot secure a sale at or near his asking price, the sportswear retailer intends to recommit himself for another 12 months in the hope that a return to the Barclays Premier League will be achieved at the first attempt.

“It all depends on how much the consortiums are willing to pay and how much they are willing to subsidise the club,” a source said. “Mr Ashley might take the view he would be a better owner.” A source in the City said the chances of a sale proceeding now stand at no better than 50-50.

Since announcing his intention to sell Newcastle in the immediate aftermath of their demotion, Ashley has refused to appoint a new manager, in spite of stating that attracting Alan Shearer to St James’ Park for the final eight games of last season was his “best decision” on Tyneside.

His logic has been a desire not to impinge upon the potential plans of new owners, but that, as well as a reluctance to buy players, has contributed to a state of limbo at the club. Shearer, who is on holiday in Portugal, remains eager to lead his home-town club on a permanent basis, but has not been briefed by the Newcastle hierarchy.

Sources close to Ashley confirmed that, should he stay on, his priority will be to hire a manager — Newcastle have ruled out the prospect of Joe Kinnear returning, but Alan Curbishley has also been linked with the role — and retain as many players as possible. He would pump about £40 million of his own money into the club to cover their wage bill and help them in their attempt to secure promotion.

At present, Newcastle are operating with a Barclays Bank overdraft of about £40 million, while their annual wage bill stood at £67 million in their most recent published accounts. That figure has been reduced by the departures of Michael Owen to Manchester United, Mark Viduka and Obafemi Martins, who joined Wolfsburg last week for a fee of £9 million.

The identity of the two consortiums remains a tightly kept secret — both signed confidentiality agreements when they provided proof of funds to begin the process of due diligence — although it is understood that at least one is from the Middle East. A group based in the United States has also been involved in talks in some capacity.

Ashley and Seymour Pierce are believed to have dismissed the viability of a consortium involving Freddie Shepherd because the former Newcastle chairman is reluctant or unwilling to raise enough money. Ashley invited bids of £100 million through the club website this summer.

Senior figures at St James’ Park have consistently denied that Ashley is considering putting Newcastle into administration, a move that would lead to them being deducted 12 points by the Football League.

Keith Harris, executive chairman of Seymour Pierce, expressed optimism last night that a sale could still be completed by the end of the month, but that the prospective buyers wished to see further evidence of the wage bill being reduced before committing themselves.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6739474.ece

Wouldn't be the perfect scenario, but would be a step forward

Interesting what Harris had to say regarding the wage bill and showing that the players can indeed be sold.

It's possible that as Thomo has said we are on the verge of selling the club, however, it might be dependent on a number of players being sold in order to reduce the wage bill.

Martins was the first to go and perhaps another big money move, for example the rumoured £15 million sale of Bassong will be enough for the new owners to commit.

I could see this being a realistic scenario. Lets wait and see what happens after a few more players are sold.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He talked about where wealth was found today. He said he wished there were more money men in england. He intimated as far as i am concerned that the buyers would be from a part of the world 'with money' but the running of the club on a day to day basis must have local influence

'a prospective buyer has had a capital infusion' Keith Harris said this in relation to Martins move as well as talking about the wage bill reducing. What does this mean and why would the potential buyer get the benefits apart from the reduced wage bill