RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest dover

I think the Bassong deal, should it go through, will act as a catalyst for the takeover (crosses fingers)

Whys that then? our best defender on the lowest wages and we cashed in? who we going to get to replace him on those wages?

yeah but the fee makes it worth while I guess. Total of about £20m for the sale of two players. That amount will possibly cover half of the players wages for the season.

It doesnt though, the fee will not reduce the wage bill. We have weakened our defence on the eve of the new season. If he was a top earner i would agree, but we now need to buy another defender on the same or similar wages for buttons, it just doesnt make sense. If we want to return to the premier league we need at the very least capable defenders, as we have a very dodgy loooking attack, we now fucked ourselves. £10 million is fuck all compared to promotion.

why didnt ashley sell 30% to one grp, 30% to another, keep 30% himself, sell 10% to fans in slices of £300 each.(1 unit per fan)

that way he covers alot of his out goings and benefits when we are promoted.   Is he desperate for money to cover his gambling debts??

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think the Bassong deal, should it go through, will act as a catalyst for the takeover (crosses fingers)

Depending on how the payments are arranged (and knowing Spurs it will be 50p up front and the rest when he's won the World Cup. With France.), this and the Martins sale should make the overdraft look much more palatable.

I know what you are saying but Ashley has nothing to gain by Spuds spreading the payments to a ridiculous extent. Bassong isnt a priority sale (low wages). I fully expect it to be something like:

- 7-8 million up front

- 1 million on 50 first team appearances

- 1 million on UEFA cup qualification

- 1 million on champions league qualification

I was being facetious. :lol:

Agree with you regarding any such deal. And as Phil says, if we're getting £15-20m up front it will go a long way to helping the club tick over.

Stop being facetious then :)

Overall both deal are worth what?

Martins

Fee 10mil

Wages 3 mil per season

Bassong

Fee 10 mil

Wages 300k a year?

Closer to a 30mil windfall than a 2o

Whys that then? our best defender on the lowest wages and we cashed in? who we going to get to replace him on those wages?

yeah but the fee makes it worth while I guess. Total of about £20m for the sale of two players. That amount will possibly cover half of the players wages for the season.

It's not just a case of cashing in, he's made it quite clear he wanted out. His head has been turned and I doubt we would have got anywhere near the level of performance out of him that we did last year. To get 20 times what we paid for him back in little over 12 months represents good business

It's never good business to lose a good player when there's virtually no chance of replacing him, but you're probably right in that we're better off getting rid. If true, the story about him being fined for not travelling up to Dundee shows that he's not committed to us any more. Can't blame him of course.

It doesnt though, the fee will not reduce the wage bill. We have weakened our defence on the eve of the new season. If he was a top earner i would agree, but we now need to buy another defender on the same or similar wages for buttons, it just doesnt make sense. If we want to return to the premier league we need at the very least capable defenders, as we have a very dodgy loooking attack, we now f***ed ourselves. £10 million is f*** all compared to promotion.

The trouble was he didn't want to be here and was refusing to play.

It doesnt though, the fee will not reduce the wage bill. We have weakened our defence on the eve of the new season. If he was a top earner i would agree, but we now need to buy another defender on the same or similar wages for buttons, it just doesnt make sense. If we want to return to the premier league we need at the very least capable defenders, as we have a very dodgy loooking attack, we now f***ed ourselves. £10 million is f*** all compared to promotion.

If Moat is going to be the new owner and he wants Shearer as boss you would have thought Bassong was one of those players Al didn't want to let go.

Guest sicko2ndbest

If Moat is going to be the new owner and he wants Shearer as boss you would have thought Bassong was one of those players Al didn't want to let go.

If it pushes the deal along i dont think he will mind. Even if he was here with Shearer it would only take one bad run for his agent to be knocking on doors. He has no commitment to NUFC and Shearer will be aware of this, and find a replacement who is

To be frank I don't think the players give much of a toss about that any more. They'll all be well stuck into offers and propositions from other clubs.

I doubt the Chronicle would have dismissed it so quickly unless they had some info tbh. There again, it's only on their web page, it could easily disappear in the next couple of hours.

I still believe that though this is probably a genuine bid, it's being propped up to scare another bidder into moving quicker and/or offering more.

No-one's going to be significantly upping their bid at this stage. There are no super rich sugar daddies amongst the bidders or a deal would have been done by now. Anyone still interested is in a consortium and counting the pennies. They will know that if they were nowhere near any other offers they would have been told to fuck off.

If it were me I'd tell Ashley my offer reduces by £1m every day it's not accepted. If he doesn't take it, I'd let him carry the costs of this season and put in the same or reduced offer next year. If he does sell to someone else then I'd just go to them and offer to join forces with them after they've bought it from Ashley so the money goes into the club, not to reduce Ashley's losses.

I doubt the Chronicle would have dismissed it so quickly unless they had some info tbh. There again, it's only on their web page, it could easily disappear in the next couple of hours.

I still believe that though this is probably a genuine bid, it's being propped up to scare another bidder into moving quicker and/or offering more.

No-one's going to be significantly upping their bid at this stage. There are no super rich sugar daddies amongst the bidders or a deal would have been done by now. Anyone still interested is in a consortium and counting the pennies. They will know that if they were nowhere near any other offers they would have been told to fuck off.

If it were me I'd tell Ashley my offer reduces by £1m every day it's not accepted. If he doesn't take it, I'd let him carry the costs of this season and put in the same or reduced offer next year. If he does sell to someone else then I'd just go to them and offer to join forces with them after they've bought it from Ashley so the money goes into the club, not to reduce Ashley's losses.

Far too much sense for Mr Ashley.

Guest toonlass

Any truth in the rumour than Moat has been talking to our former chairman for weeks for champagne breakfasts? I mean, Moat and Mort in monthly Moet meetings.

:laugh:

Any truth in the rumour than Moat has been talking to our former chairman for weeks for champagne breakfasts? I mean, Moat and Mort in monthly Moet meetings.

So mote it be.

They better make the most of it.

Dunno if this has been posted yet:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/5979743/Newcastle-United-takeover-a-step-closer-as-local-millionaire-Barry-Moat-holds-talks.html

Newcastle United takeover a step closer as local millionaire Barry Moat holds talks

Hopes of a deal to rescue Newcastle United rose on Wednesday night as Tyneside-based businessman Barry Moat held talks with advisers to club owner Mike Ashley aimed at securing a £100 million takeover.

By Paul Kelso, Chief Sports Reporter

Published: 6:30AM BST 06 Aug 2009

With the start of the new Championship season looming, Telegraph Sport can disclose that Moat was in London on Wednesday night holding talks with representatives from investment bank Seymour Pierce, who are handling the sale on Ashley's behalf. Talks are expected to continue on Thursday.

Sources said that while a deal had not yet been concluded, the negotiations with Moat represented the best "exit strategy" for Ashley, who is facing losses of at least £100 million.

Moat, an associate of Alan Shearer and an executive box-holder at St James' Park, is the front-runner to buy out Ashley after completing due diligence on the club books in the last week.

If a deal can be agreed the formal takeover could take several weeks to complete, but crucially it would allow the club to prepare for the new season with some certainty.

Ashley has set an informal deadline of the end of this week for the takeover, but has approached Joe Kinnear about returning as manager should the deal fall through.

Should Moat succeed, he is likely to approach Shearer to return to the manager's chair two months after he vacated having failed to keep the club in the Premier League.

Under the terms of the proposed deal Moat would put in £50 million of his own money and bring in a further £50 million of outside investment to meet Ashley's asking price.

The source of the external investment remains uncertain, but Moat is understood to be confident that he can secure bank or private equity finance to make up the shortfall.

Moat has mapped out a vision for the revival of the club based around a new management team, and is hopeful that investors will buy into the prospect of a swift return to the Premier League.

Due diligence on the club's books has been carried out by corporate lawyer Timothy Smalley.

Moat has been linked with a possible takeover of the club in the past. A millionaire with diverse business interests across the North East, he has significant property holdings and a development portfolio. He is a director of several telecoms companies offering cheap internet-based call services.

Should he succeed in pulling off the deal he is likely to be popular with supporters who crave a local owner to take the club forward.

Despite clearing most of Newcastle's historic debt when he took over, Ashley's apparent disregard for the club's heritage and the reckless decision-making that contributed to relegation have won him only enemies on Tyneside.

Locally owned and with Shearer at the helm, the club would gain important momentum as they attempt to win promotion at the first attempt.

A swift return to the Premier League would help alleviate the dire financial consequences of relegation. Newcastle's wage bill stands at more than £65 million, and with Championship revenues likely to be little more than £40 million, the outlook is sobering.

Agency First Artists has a mandate from Ashley to offload the highest wage-earners, and at the weekend they secured the sale of Obafemi Martins to Wolfsburg, bringing in €10 million (£8.5 million) and knocking up to £3 million off the wage bill.

Further sales will follow, with Sebastien Bassong likely to depart in the coming days for around £9 million and other well-paid players expected to follow.

Read that, and as it actually has facts in it, I'll believe it until there's some direct quotes rubbishing it

It does, however it also shows a shocking lack of knowledge about Newcastle United, which would make me question how much they really know.  I mean Bassong a well paid player?  40m revenue when we were at 100m last year?, the revenue drop from relegated isn't that extreme, and 65m wage bill when its obvious its far lower then that now.  Hopefully the info they've mentioned on the takeover is more reliable then that..

Yes Dave, I mentioned the wage bill again :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

SSN:North East 'Expert' David Craig says: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to take over, and David O'Leary.