RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tend to agree with Slugsy tbh. Ashley is killing the club but that's no guarantee that Moat will be tons better. We'd have to just wait and see, rather than proclaiming him as the second coming like many of us did with Ashley. I'm not falling for it again tbh.

I doubt a blind monkey could do much worse than Ashley has. Whatever happens if Moat takes over I'm sure no-one will look back and think "I wish we still had Mike Ashley."

I agree. While it's naive to think any new owner is going to be a sugar daddy, at least Moat is a genuine supporter. The question mark would be against those behind him. I doubt any new owner would do what Ashley has done this summer though. String everyone along then threaten to keep the club when it's too late to put things right. In May no one was demanding he sell the club after all.

HTL

Regarding your post, I think there is an awful lot of difference between what happened under FFS and our current predicament. However, the only similarity is the club having an unmanageable debt, by all accounts.

As for your comment regarding FFS love for the club against Ashley, I think you should backtrack on that one. We all know that Ashley's love for the club doesnt exist, but his love is the almighty dollar, or in your case, the pound. Ashley has tried to run the club as a business and failed due to the appointments he has made. FFS made similar failures but put the club on the verge of insolvency to make himself popular by buying inept players at hugely exhorbitant prices to please equally inept managers.

Give Ashley his due on that one, he hasnt paid over the odds for any player other than possibly Collocini, who at the time, was an Argentinian international and highly rated by most on this forum. Of course, Ashley is still paying off the debt incurred by FFS, that is the 27 million for Luque, Duff, Owen, Martins etc.

Freddy, Moat Rankin and Wiley should all get together won't happen but  would be nice, thisd Ashley wants the money in his bank is anyone going to do that until he confirms he will sell themt he club?

I mean he will get paid once he agreeterms and seals the deal.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

If it is true what the Journal are climing and Ashley is asking for payment of some kind in to a speified account then this is great news. As with any large sale a designated account controlled by lawyers acting on behalf of the clients is normal. Even better is the signal of intent by Ashley that he is infact willing to deal and is putting the ball in the court of Moat to either put up or shut up!

Either way IF this is correct I find it encouraging.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Barry Moat is far from the perfect candidate to take the club over but reading that article, I now hope he does quickly, we need to get that evil out of the club, Ashley is like a poison slowly killing us.

Ironic that Moat was the one who introduced Ashley to SJH in the first place though.

I consider him about as perfect as they come at the moment. Man City type owners would make me feel uncomfortable. This is a guy who is an avid toon fan, and with Shearer on board will understand how to run a club properly. We are a big club who can generate big turnover so money for transfers will never really be an issue. I think we can generate our own funds for transfers ( about 15mil a year) with good decision making.

No offence, but I think that's very optimistic and you don't know anything about Moat or his agenda. 

We are leaking cash big time at the moment so there is going to be a further cull on players - £15m a year (where that number comes from who knows) isn't going to help us from a standing start of having a threadbare 1st team let alone squad. 

Our turnover next year is going to be vastly down, so money for transfers is a very big issue, our cost structure needs completely restructuring and the pain of that will be very evident next year.

The 15 million a year comes on the back of good decision making, ie getting us back to the premiership. I think if Moat can get us over the line he has the rest of the season to find extra backing if he needs it. Should we go on a good run and look like going up i dont think he'll find it difficult to get that extra funding especially if we get promoted.

I honestly believe that by getting Shearer on board it will be be the catalyst that Keane was for Sundrland. Remember they lost their first 4 games under Quinn before Keane came in!

If it is true what the Journal are climing and Ashley is asking for payment of some kind in to a speified account then this is great news. As with any large sale a designated account controlled by lawyers acting on behalf of the clients is normal. Even better is the signal of intent by Ashley that he is infact willing to deal and is putting the ball in the court of Moat to either put up or shut up!

Or it could be that Moat doesn't have £25m to put down immediately and Ashley is using that figure to tell him to fuck off basically.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Or it could be that Moat doesn't have £25m to put down immediately and Ashley is using that figure to tell him to f*** off basically.

Yes but in this article they claim that he hs already proven that he has the funds, the question is will he spind it?

Or it could be that Moat doesn't have £25m to put down immediately and Ashley is using that figure to tell him to f*** off basically.

Yes but in this article they claim that he hs already proven that he has the funds, the question is will he spind it?

I think the only question is will anyone give Ashley the price he is looking for? I doubt it and all this has just been a waste of time if that's the case.

I think the only question is will anyone give Ashley the price he is looking for? I doubt it and all this has just been a waste of time if that's the case.

it already seems quite obvious he wont get the 100mill originally quoted so it could well be just haggling to find a price both parties can agree on.

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

it already seems quite obvious he wont get the 100mill originally quoted so it could well be just haggling to find a price both parties can agree on.

I think and hope you've hit the nail on the head there Madras, this is why IF there is any worth in this article it's positive.

If the sale goes through then that will prove to be true. If it doesn't you'd have to question why Ashley put the club on the market in the first place rather than just get on with running the club in a fit and proper manner.

If the sale goes through then that will prove to be true. If it doesn't you'd have to question why Ashley put the club on the market in the first place rather than just get on with running the club in a fit and proper manner.

because he put a price on it he thought he could get. as times moved on he's had to adjust it. naturally when you are selling something there'll be a price below which you wont go.

if that about giving money to lawyers is true it does seem like a put up or shut up and could be the beginning of the end of this whole sorry mess.

What an empty threat. Match my £100m valuation or I won't sell the club to you (but you'll probably be able to buy it in 4 to 10 months for £50m or less).

or

someone selling something asks a bit more than its worth knowing the price will come down in the haggling.

because he put a price on it he thought he could get. as times moved on he's had to adjust it. naturally when you are selling something there'll be a price below which you wont go.

if that about giving money to lawyers is true it does seem like a put up or shut up and could be the beginning of the end of this whole sorry mess.

But no one asked him to put the club up for sale in the first place. Even Freddie Shepherd didn't advertise the club or stop running it properly in the hope of selling it and he's considered thick by most here.

But no one asked him to put the club up for sale in the first place. Even Freddie Shepherd didn't advertise the club or stop running it properly in the hope of selling it and he's considered thick by most here.

i thought plenty asked him to put the place up for sale. while he's been running it its been losing money. seems like he's hit a point where he's just said enough is enough. outside of not appointing a manager he's stil been running things thats meant his hand in his pocket.

Mike Ashley weighing up St James’s return

Aug 11 2009  by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

MIKE ASHLEY is contemplating making a return to St James’s Park for Newcastle United’s first home game of the Championship campaign against Reading.

The Chronicle first revealed on August 5 that Ashley was preparing to take the Magpies off the market and bring in a managerial figurehead, with former Leeds and Aston Villa boss David O’Leary believed to be at the top of his wishlist.

So far, Seymour Pierce have failed to conjure up a buyer for United who can match the sports tycoon’s asking price of £100m and inherit the club’s Premier League wage bill, despite expectations being raised by the investment bank’s Keith Harris last week.

Ashley missed Saturday’s trip to the Hawthorns as he was still out of the country, but he has since returned from Hawaii and is thought to be eyeing the clash with Brendan Rogers’ side.

A source close to Ashley told the Chronicle today: "Mike is thinking about being in his seat on Saturday.

"He has already said that if he is to remain in charge of Newcastle, he will go to games.

"When the club came off the market last year Mike went to the games during the run-in."

When Ashley took United off the market last season he notified fans via the club’s programme in his notes for the home game with Liverpool on December 28.

But the club confirmed today that there are no such notes planned for the Reading game.

Tyneside businessman Barry Moat has also been heavily linked with heading a consortium to take United off Ashley’s hands – but has so far failed to come up with a financial package that comes close to tempting the Sports Direct entrepreneur.

Ashley’s PR people said today: "As it stands the process is still ongoing, although it’s a slow process. As far as Mike is concerned, he either sells it or he doesn’t. Then he will make plans accordingly."

And when pressed on Moat’s bid to take the club on, a representative of the Ashley camp said: "Barry Moat is not in the driving seat. There are still others out there but nothing is likely to be resolved before Saturday’s game with Reading."

The concerns for United fans, though, is that Chris Hughton’s already decimated squad could be slashed further by the time the transfer deadline on September 1 comes round.

Should Ashley be forced to stay on, he is likely to give Hughton, or any potential interim manager, the go-ahead to bring in new blood, and the former Spurs full-back has already had encouragement to bring in two young players in on loan from White Hart Lane.

Meanwhile, the agent of Jonas Gutierrez has refuted claims Olympiacos are keen on signing the Argentina winger.

Pedro Bravo Jimenez dismissed the claim, saying: "Nobody from Olympiacos or any other club from Greece has been in touch with me about the player.

"There is no inquiry or offer. These reports are not true."

Panathinaikos also dismissed reports that they were set to launch a bid for Gutierrez’s countryman and Newcastle team-mate Fabricio Coloccini.

"There is absolutely nothing in that at all," a Panathinaikos Press spokesperson said.

"At the moment Panathinaikos is not in the market for any new players, it’s as simple as that."

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/11/mike-ashley-weighing-up-st-james-s-return-72703-24370496/

"Ashley’s PR people said today: "As it stands the process is still ongoing, although it’s a slow process. As far as Mike is concerned, he either sells it or he doesn’t. Then he will make plans accordingly."

Jesus wept  :facepalm:

Clueless twat.