RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chronicle

Mid East denials

US progress - denials

The truth will come out

So, let me get this straight. The story about "your" progress yesterday will be reported in the Chron alongside a fresh mideast bid but will be denied by the club?

:lol:

spooky

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/09/10/newcastle-united-quash-groups-buy-out-talk-72703-24655525/

Newcastle United quash groups' buy-out talk

Sep 10 2009 by Adam Jupp, Evening Chronicle

Add a comment

Recommend

CONFUSION today continues to surround the Toon takeover saga after two groups claimed they were close to buying the club.

Usually reliable sources close to one interested group contacted the Chronicle to say they had reached written agreement.

They claimed bosses had responded by saying they wanted to take development land out of the deal.

But Magpies managing director Derek Llambias today said the suggestion an official bid had been lodged was “not true”, a stance reinforced by Seymour Pierce, the investment bank charged with finding a buyer for the club by owner Mike Ashley. It comes as other sources close an American consortium hoping to stage a buy-out say their deal is close to crossing the finish line.

Geoff Sheard

Lancashire-based businessman Geoff Sheard is said to be the deal-broker fronting moves from a multi-billion pound New York-based company who want to buy the Toon.

Talks between the USA group and the club were thought to have collapsed last Monday but the consortium are understood to be returning to the UK over the weekend to try to conclude a deal.

The Chronicle understands the group behind Sheard’s approach is led by a wealthy American backer who already has big links in US Sports.

And the group say they will then aim to deploy the strategic holding company the Omnicom Group to rebrand the Magpies on a global scale.

Sources close to the Americans said they had last night reached an agreement and the matter was in the hands of their lawyers, but that was dismissed outright by Llambias when contacted by the Chronicle.

And Ashley’s linkman Jonathon Brill, who works as an intermediary between Seymour Pierce and the retail billionaire, said from the capital today: “Discussions are ongoing.” It comes as Llambias has been forced to close down his club e-mail account after being flooded with angry correspondence from fans and prank expressions of interest about a takeover.

Tyneside businessman Barry Moat is also still in the frame as discussions continue with the biggest stumbling block remains the size of United’s overdraft with Barclays Bank.

Meanwhile, an attempt by former Tottenham star Graham Roberts to launch a Barcelona-style fans buy-out appear to have collapsed.

As has been the case all summer it is difficult to know who to believe in this ongoing saga official communication at a premium.

There remains a distinct possibility Ashley will once again take the club off the market with interim manager Chris Hughton having steered United to the top of the Championship despite the uncertainty off the field.

Fair play to him. At least he is giving the info out 12 hours in advance. I have no problem with that.

I don't think anyone would have a problem giving out the info early, it's the coded messages and pretending to be some big ITK that's annoying.

Guest ToonBart

Fair play to him. At least he is giving the info out 12 hours in advance. I have no problem with that.

I don't think anyone would have a problem giving out the info early, it's the coded messages and pretending to be some big ITK that's annoying.

If thats his bit of sport fine. He is getting his info from somewhere and has already said Dave knows who he is so it should be very easy for Dave to confirm sillious's stated position of working for a solicitor, should it not?

Over to you Dave.  O0

Guest ToonBart

why?

To be honest im not really bothered however those that are questioning him surely warrant a response from Dave, especially as a yay or nay is all thats needed. :coolsmiley:

I couldn't give a fuck if the buyer invests their own money tbh, if they run the club sensibly and with ambition we'll be fine. The potential is there; a small amount of speculation will see us up, cut the dead wood (Geremi etc) and get in a manager who you trust and back them within reason. Don't need to be especially wealthy to make a decent success of this club.

And there it is. It really is fucking easy to make this club a success as all one needs is common footballing sense. Ashley and his cronies have clearly lacked this and here we are, slowly clawing back to normalcy despite the fat one's ineptitude.

:facepalm:

I wish.

If it was as easy as you make out how come the people who have done the best job of trying in over half a bloody century are despised by so many and thought of as shit, unless the "so many" who think this way are total know-nowts?

You tell me, mate.

Because they lost their touch many years before they relinquished control, and left the club in a godawful fucking mess.

Obviously.

Not really.  As long as the club is run well i.e. investing in youth (without ignoring the first team), not spending extortionate amounts on wages and hiring the right managers, then we'll be OK.  West Ham's owner doesn't pump money in, they've relied on a good manager and good youth set up, Everton rely on a top manager and buying the right players on the cheap, Arsenal, everyone knows about, and there's plenty of other examples. 

We are even in a better position than those clubs, except Arsenal, in that we already have a massive stadium and large fanbase as well as fans all around the world.  All of this is easy said than done, but there's no point being cynical or negative for the sake of it, when no one knows anything more than anyone else.

Not that we no Moat has no money of course, he could well have significant backing from the US still.

Not really.  As long as the club is run well i.e. investing in youth (without ignoring the first team), not spending extortionate amounts on wages and hiring the right managers, then we'll be OK.  West Ham's owner doesn't pump money in, they've relied on a good manager and good youth set up, Everton rely on a top manager and buying the right players on the cheap, Arsenal, everyone knows about, and there's plenty of other examples. 

We are even in a better position than those clubs, except Arsenal, in that we already have a massive stadium and large fanbase as well as fans all around the world.  All of this is easy said than done, but there's no point being cynical or negative for the sake of it, when no one knows anything more than anyone else.

Not that we no Moat has no money of course, he could well have significant backing from the US still.

EH?

We are in the championship cos fat man would not invest in the first team or appoint a half decent manager.

While he is here expect this to continue,  so how are we in a better position then the prem sides, baring in mind we are in the championship, have had our income reduced and still have players on higher wages that Everton and the rest wouldn't offer???

And how do you hire the right manager? You make it sound easy, which if it was, every club would "hire the right manager." The fact is, it's not that easy.

EH?

We are in the championship cos fat man would not invest in the first team or appoint a half decent manager.

While he is here expect this to continue,  so how are we in a better position then the prem sides, baring in mind we are in the championship, have had our income reduced and still have players on higher wages that Everton and the rest wouldn't offer???

Sorry I meant to say if we get promoted.

And how do you hire the right manager? You make it sound easy, which if it was, every club would "hire the right manager." The fact is, it's not that easy.

I know it's not easy.  That's why I said 'easy (sic) said than done.'

West Ham? Get real. They're in a whole heap of trouble.

And so it is no surprise that the club seemed to have stumbled into another crisis with the news that they lost a staggering £37.4m in the year ending 2008.

These accounts, published over a year late by West Ham, paint a grim picture of the financial state of the club, with finance director Nick Igoe describing the business strategy during the period leading up to May 2008 as "fundamentally flawed".

The situation is made worse by the fact that the collapse of shirt sponsor XL, which cost the club around £4m, and the out-of-court settlement with Sheffield United over the Carlos Tevez affair, which set West Ham back another £26m over five years, are not included on this set of accounts.

Debt may be the word of the moment, but West Ham seem to have more than their fair share.

In the previous accounts, the debts were stated as £54m, but it seems that one year of decadence under former chairman Eggert Magnusson has plunged that nearer to £100m.

Igoe also revealed that West Ham broke banking rules over the repayment of their debt, and only the goodwill of the banks prevented them from more serious trouble.

"The scale of operating losses and wages caused the group to breach certain banking coven-ants in 2007-08," Igoe explained in the report.

"Although the group's banking syndicate waived these breaches, a business strategy which relies on the goodwill of the group's bankers to waive covenant breaches is fundamentally flawed."

It is unclear how common this sort of practise by the banks is when dealing with debt-ridden football clubs. West Ham's deficit of around £100m is chicken feed compared to some Premier League teams.

As of May 2008, Arsenal owed £416m, Fulham £197m, Manchester United £699m, Manchester City £147m and Liverpool around £300m.

All of those clubs, bar Fulham, have turnovers far in excess of that of West Ham as well as billionaire owners to make such debts managable.

http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/content/west_ham_united_football_club/story.aspx?brand=RECOnline&category=Hammers&tBrand=RecOnline&tCategory=ahammersnew&itemid=WeED09%20Sep%202009%2017%3A00%3A46%3A760

Eh? I never said they weren't, I'm just saying I don't think Zola has even spent a penny but they still finished in a respectable league position, which shows it can be done without spending loads.

Answer me this anyway, do you think you need big investment to finish in the top half/top 8 of the PL?

Eh? I never said they weren't, I'm just saying I don't think Zola has even spent a penny but they still finished in a respectable league position, which shows it can be done without spending loads.

Well, I guess if you simply ignore the financial picture then everything's just rosy.

Answer me this anyway, do you think you need big investment to finish in the top half/top 8 of the PL?

With the debt we're carrying, we seem to need big investment just to stay in the same place.