RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The idea that it doesn't matter that Moat has no cash is naive in the extreme, by the way.

Depends how you interpret it. My insinuation was that I wasn't bothered if he had any real money to pump into transfers. Keeping the club afloat whilst we're out of the top flight is a given necessity.

I couldn't give a fuck if the buyer invests their own money tbh, if they run the club sensibly and with ambition we'll be fine. The potential is there; a small amount of speculation will see us up, cut the dead wood (Geremi etc) and get in a manager who you trust and back them within reason. Don't need to be especially wealthy to make a decent success of this club.

And there it is. It really is fucking easy to make this club a success as all one needs is common footballing sense. Ashley and his cronies have clearly lacked this and here we are, slowly clawing back to normalcy despite the fat one's ineptitude.

:facepalm:

I wish.

If it was as easy as you make out how come the people who have done the best job of trying in over half a bloody century are despised by so many and thought of as shit, unless the "so many" who think this way are total know-nowts?

You tell me, mate.

Because they lost their touch many years before they relinquished control, and left the club in a godawful fucking mess.

Obviously.

Which as I said earlier to someone else, this would make sense if people like you hadn't been rubbishing the previous Board way before they "lost control" as you call it.  You weren't happy with top 6 finishes. You said it was shit.

You really should be quiet about this otherwise I'll have to remind everyone that you were one of the main whingers about the previous Board during the time we finished 4th, 3rd then 5th. I may go on to remind people that despite having signed Woodgate in January 2003, Darren Ambrose and also Lee Bowyer (England international at the time) on a free during summer 2003, you slagged the Board for not spending millions that summer. I might even remind people that you then amazingly backed the destruction of the team by Souness and the bankrolling of him by the Board to the tune of ~£50m, then you ironically slag the Board for spending despite your boring mantra of "judge him when he's built his own team."

Mate, you're full of shit most of the time, almost everything you post is based on 20/20 hindsight and is still tripe.

Not really.  As long as the club is run well i.e. investing in youth (without ignoring the first team), not spending extortionate amounts on wages and hiring the right managers, then we'll be OK.  West Ham's owner doesn't pump money in, they've relied on a good manager and good youth set up, Everton rely on a top manager and buying the right players on the cheap, Arsenal, everyone knows about, and there's plenty of other examples. 

We are even in a better position than those clubs, except Arsenal, in that we already have a massive stadium and large fanbase as well as fans all around the world.  All of this is easy said than done, but there's no point being cynical or negative for the sake of it, when no one knows anything more than anyone else.

Not that we no Moat has no money of course, he could well have significant backing from the US still.

And how do you hire the right manager? You make it sound easy, which if it was, every club would "hire the right manager." The fact is, it's not that easy.

I know it's not easy.  That's why I said 'easy (sic) said than done.'

Fair enough. I missed it, mate. Sorry 'bout that.

Eh? I never said they weren't, I'm just saying I don't think Zola has even spent a penny but they still finished in a respectable league position, which shows it can be done without spending loads.

Answer me this anyway, do you think you need big investment to finish in the top half/top 8 of the PL?

With the debt we're carrying, we seem to need big investment just to stay in the same place.

Any club with terrible manangement is going to need more investment then normal just to stand still.  Which is why some common sense and an idea about Football is much more important then lots of money (especially at a club with so much financial muscle of its own).

Whether Moat actually has that is another question of course, but that's the question I'd be asking.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/10/mike-ashley-newcastle-united-moat

Price-fixing investigation should not delay Newcastle takeover

• Mike Ashley still wants to sell Newcastle for £100m

• Club may be forced into settlement with Kevin Keegan

Mike Ashley's business travails have not, as yet, persuaded Newcastle United's owner into speeding up his planned sale of the Championship club or encouraged him to drop the £100m asking price.

Sources close to the Ashley camp say that the Sports Direct owner's involvement in a Serious Fraud Office investigation into criminal price-fixing and fraud at Britain's two largest sports retailers – Sports Direct and its rival JJB – would not impact on the club in any way. "This does not make any difference," one of them said.

Despite price-fixing now being a criminal offence and the allegations being capable of generating potentially serious penalties including jail sentences, parties close to ongoing attempts to find Newcastle United a new owner echoed such sentiments.

"Mike Ashley may be a bit more preoccupied but it's hard to see how it will change anything regarding the sale," the source added. "It's hard to see it having any effect. These investigations generally take two to three years to reach court."

Ashley has been in negotiations with Barry Moat, a Tyneside property developer, for several weeks about a takeover of the club, but those matters have been complicated by various factors.

With the team leading the Championship by two points from West Bromwich Albion, and attracting crowds of around 40,000, Ashley appears to be in no hurry to sell. Equally, the investors backing the Moat bid are declining to put money on the table until certain details are thrashed out. These include a potential settlement with the former manager Kevin Keegan and the size of Newcastle United's overdraft facility with Barclays Bank.

While the bank has been trying to make the takeover happen, negotiations are still ongoing as to the amount the club will be permitted to borrow.

Barclays generally stipulates that Championship clubs cannot have overdrafts in excess of £10m but Newcastle's previous facility, which expired at the end of last month, was for £39m with the club owing around £20m. They may also be forced to part with as much as £10m should Keegan win his impending constructive-dismissal case.

Although a deal between Moat and Ashley could be concluded within days, realistically that would involve the would-be-buyer's backers producing the necessary equity and the current owner softening his financial demands. Despite the Ashley camp claiming that he is also talking to other potential buyers, sources close to the sale claim, "Barry Moat is the only show in town". This lack of realistic competition dictates that unless the current impasse is somehow broken, a takeover could still be months away.

Covering all bases there...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/sep/10/mike-ashley-newcastle-united-moat

Price-fixing investigation should not delay Newcastle takeover

• Mike Ashley still wants to sell Newcastle for £100m

• Club may be forced into settlement with Kevin Keegan

Mike Ashley's business travails have not, as yet, persuaded Newcastle United's owner into speeding up his planned sale of the Championship club or encouraged him to drop the £100m asking price.

Sources close to the Ashley camp say that the Sports Direct owner's involvement in a Serious Fraud Office investigation into criminal price-fixing and fraud at Britain's two largest sports retailers – Sports Direct and its rival JJB – would not impact on the club in any way. "This does not make any difference," one of them said.

Despite price-fixing now being a criminal offence and the allegations being capable of generating potentially serious penalties including jail sentences, parties close to ongoing attempts to find Newcastle United a new owner echoed such sentiments.

"Mike Ashley may be a bit more preoccupied but it's hard to see how it will change anything regarding the sale," the source added. "It's hard to see it having any effect. These investigations generally take two to three years to reach court."

Ashley has been in negotiations with Barry Moat, a Tyneside property developer, for several weeks about a takeover of the club, but those matters have been complicated by various factors.

With the team leading the Championship by two points from West Bromwich Albion, and attracting crowds of around 40,000, Ashley appears to be in no hurry to sell. Equally, the investors backing the Moat bid are declining to put money on the table until certain details are thrashed out. These include a potential settlement with the former manager Kevin Keegan and the size of Newcastle United's overdraft facility with Barclays Bank.

While the bank has been trying to make the takeover happen, negotiations are still ongoing as to the amount the club will be permitted to borrow.

Barclays generally stipulates that Championship clubs cannot have overdrafts in excess of £10m but Newcastle's previous facility, which expired at the end of last month, was for £39m with the club owing around £20m. They may also be forced to part with as much as £10m should Keegan win his impending constructive-dismissal case.

Although a deal between Moat and Ashley could be concluded within days, realistically that would involve the would-be-buyer's backers producing the necessary equity and the current owner softening his financial demands. Despite the Ashley camp claiming that he is also talking to other potential buyers, sources close to the sale claim, "Barry Moat is the only show in town". This lack of realistic competition dictates that unless the current impasse is somehow broken, a takeover could still be months away.

Covering all bases there...

Being a journalist must be so easy.

I just found myself scrolling through the thread looking for ITK replies :facepalm:

That'll take you a while. We have no ITK's - just TBS' (total bull shitters)

I couldn't give a fuck if the buyer invests their own money tbh, if they run the club sensibly and with ambition we'll be fine. The potential is there; a small amount of speculation will see us up, cut the dead wood (Geremi etc) and get in a manager who you trust and back them within reason. Don't need to be especially wealthy to make a decent success of this club.

And there it is. It really is fucking easy to make this club a success as all one needs is common footballing sense. Ashley and his cronies have clearly lacked this and here we are, slowly clawing back to normalcy despite the fat one's ineptitude.

I wish.

If it was as easy as you make out how come the people who have done the best job of trying in over half a bloody century are despised by so many and thought of as shit, unless the "so many" who think this way are total know-nowts?

You tell me, mate.

Because they lost their touch many years before they relinquished control, and left the club in a godawful fucking mess.

Obviously.

Which as I said earlier to someone else, this would make sense if people like you hadn't been rubbishing the previous Board way before they "lost control" as you call it.  You weren't happy with top 6 finishes. You said it was shit.

You really should be quiet about this otherwise I'll have to remind everyone that you were one of the main whingers about the previous Board during the time we finished 4th, 3rd then 5th. I may go on to remind people that despite having signed Woodgate in January 2003, Darren Ambrose and also Lee Bowyer (England international at the time) on a free during summer 2003, you slagged the Board for not spending millions that summer. I might even remind people that you then amazingly backed the destruction of the team by Souness and the bankrolling of him by the Board to the tune of ~£50m, then you ironically slag the Board for spending despite your boring mantra of "judge him when he's built his own team."

Mate, you're full of shit most of the time, almost everything you post is based on 20/20 hindsight and is still tripe.

If you can't respond to a post without trying to shove words into someone else's mouth, perhaps you should acknowledge that talkboard discussions aren't really your strong point, chum.

As for our failure to strengthen a demoralised squad in the summer of 2003 -- the absolute pivotal moment in the decline of this club, the moment where the old regime started pissing away everything that had been achieved by Sir Bobby Robson -- I still fail to see what the purchase of Woodgate six months earlier has to do with it.

Chronology is obviously not your strongpoint either. But you score pretty high on selective memory.

Eh? I never said they weren't, I'm just saying I don't think Zola has even spent a penny but they still finished in a respectable league position, which shows it can be done without spending loads.

Answer me this anyway, do you think you need big investment to finish in the top half/top 8 of the PL?

With the debt we're carrying, we seem to need big investment just to stay in the same place.

Any club with terrible manangement is going to need more investment then normal just to stand still.  Which is why some common sense and an idea about Football is much more important then lots of money (especially at a club with so much financial muscle of its own).

Whether Moat actually has that is another question of course, but that's the question I'd be asking.

I think we need both things. We'd need some kind of Nobel Prize-winning football genius to get us back into the top half of the Premiership without substantial investment.

I wish.

You tell me, mate.

Obviously.

If you can't respond to a post without trying to shove words into someone else's mouth, perhaps you should acknowledge that talkboard discussions aren't really your strong point, chum.

As for our failure to strengthen a demoralised squad in the summer of 2003 -- the absolute pivotal moment in the decline of this club, the moment where the old regime started pissing away everything that had been achieved by Sir Bobby Robson -- I still fail to see what the purchase of Woodgate six months earlier has to do with it.

Chronology is obviously not your strongpoint either. But you score pretty high on selective memory.

A weak response, tbh. And total bollocks as usual.

Nearly every post you've made is about ITKs though. Weird.

Is it really? I'm interested in news, and even peoples views of the situation. It does annoy me when people claim to have facts, which turn out to be untrue. Are they after the attention?

Leading up to the close of the transfer window, most people on here were desperate to find news concerning the future of their club. Having people queue up to seemingly use that near desperation to gain a boost to their own ego grates on me - that's reflected in my posts.

Is it really? I'm interested in news, and even peoples views of the situation. It does annoy me when people claim to have facts, which turn out to be untrue. Are they after the attention?

Leading up to the close of the transfer window, most people on here were desperate to find news concerning the future of their club. Having people queue up to seemingly use that near desperation to gain a boost to their own ego grates on me - that's reflected in my posts.

Surely posting about ITKs because it grates you how much attention they get is a self-defeating strategy?

Surely posting about ITKs because it grates you how much attention they get is a self-defeating strategy?

Maybe it would be if I were praising them to the roof like some others have been