RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

On the subject of Keegan, I feel Keegan wasn't the right man to take over, but if we kept Keegan we would not have been relegated.

http://images.artnet.com/artwork_images_424623466_407205_jeremy-deller.jpg

Still going and still losing money, by all accounts.

Hence KKs desperate bid to extort 10 million quid from his so called beloved NUFC.

Suffice to say, Keegan is an even bigger f***ing con man then Ashley.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not claiming he hasn't got character flaws. He clearerly has like all of us but I'll defend him over the fiasco which is Mike f***ing Ashley any day of the week. 

I felt let down like the rest of us when he left BUT his reasons for doing so have become apparant over time.

So you are saying that Keegans return to Newcastle was for other reasons and this far out weighs the mess Ashley has got us in?  What proof do you have thats says KK came back with other motives in mind???

I said KK left beause he could not get Ashley to spend the clubs money on players that were seriously needed he felt he had to leave to push the situation further.  he was proved right.

What you say above is good and correct and I agree with it, as I always have.

It is difficult to estimate how much of this MESS was Ashley's fault, but (as owner) he has to take by far the bulk of the blame.

Now, without you having met him, or 'seen the photos', I would imagine you will agree with that.

The reasons Keegan left (that you mention) are all valid, as I have always said, and are undoubtedly part of it. BUT, many people continue to rationalise and over-simplify the reason why he left, "latching on" to the Ashley-and-funds-and-choice-of-players, thing.

It is most unlikely that anything as simple as that would have caused him to leave - it he came here to "finish the job" etc - with the speed with which he did.

It just does not FIT.

It smells.

There must be more to it than just that.

There is a lot more complexity in why Keegan returned and why he left so soon, that the simply-presented "reasons" of the funds and choice of players, that so many people (as said) happily latch on to as being the be-all-and-end-all of the situation.

C'mon, the whole thing STINKS.

I really cannot find any other way to say this now. I have described the "Ashley & Funds" bit, as the 'last chapter' and the 'last page', and I have tried many other ways to get the message across here - so I can do no more.

Simply, there is more to it than that - it stinks to high heaven.

He came back as soon as the Halls and Shepherds were out of the club, he came in thinking Mike Ashley was going to at least take the club forward, it then became apparent that Ashley had no intension to spend and he was going to reduce the operating costs of the club.

KK couldn't deal with Ashley, Lambias and Wise as they were f*** nuts without a clue so was either sacked or quit.

I'm not sure where you get this "must be another reason" for him to return from.

Are you basing your argument for KK coming back with other motives on that shitty lazy article in one of the papers sayng it was because Soccer Circus was struggling and he needed cash.

The same Soccer Circus which is still going even in the recession.

I make my own mind up and do not believe reporters interpretations.  But, as I said above, "I can do no more", at this stage.

Hence KKs desperate bid to extort 10 million quid from his so called beloved NUFC.

Suffice to say, Keegan is an even bigger fucking con man then Ashley.

Source?

In a moment of weakness, looked up those numbers at Companies House nowt there.

It comes up with a company at the same address as Halliwells the lawyers representing the americans. What the f*** that means I have no idea

So it does, looks like I might have been on the right lines after all!  :crazy2:

HALLCO 1707 LIMITED registered company name @ companies house.....  Halliwells... could this be a holding company for the funds to be deposited into? however can they not just be deposited into a lawyers account? also, this company was incorporated in June, seems a bit early

Agreed, that's why I originally discounted it. Was looking for "the holy grail" of a newly set up holding company with a cheeky Newcastle related name.

Dont firms of solicitors set up a lot of these off the peg companies then use them when needed to save time? Somebody working in this sort of thing would propably know

In a moment of weakness, looked up those numbers at Companies House nowt there.

It comes up with a company at the same address as Halliwells the lawyers representing the americans. What the f*** that means I have no idea

So it does, looks like I might have been on the right lines after all!  :crazy2:

HALLCO 1707 LIMITED registered company name @ companies house.....  Halliwells... could this be a holding company for the funds to be deposited into? however can they not just be deposited into a lawyers account? also, this company was incorporated in June, seems a bit early

Agreed, that's why I originally discounted it. Was looking for "the holy grail" of a newly set up holding company with a cheeky Newcastle related name.

Dont firms of solicitors set up a lot of these off the peg companies then use them when needed to save time? Somebody working in this sort of thing would propably know

Would explain all the Hallco entries at the same address I suppose.

Disgraceful comment.

I couldn't give a fuck if the buyer invests their own money tbh, if they run the club sensibly and with ambition we'll be fine. The potential is there; a small amount of speculation will see us up, cut the dead wood (Geremi etc) and get in a manager who you trust and back them within reason. Don't need to be especially wealthy to make a decent success of this club.

And there it is. It really is fucking easy to make this club a success as all one needs is common footballing sense. Ashley and his cronies have clearly lacked this and here we are, slowly clawing back to normalcy despite the fat one's ineptitude.

:facepalm:

I wish.

If it was as easy as you make out how come the people who have done the best job of trying in over half a bloody century are despised by so many and thought of as shit, unless the "so many" who think this way are total know-nowts?

You tell me, mate.

Because they lost their touch many years before they relinquished control, and left the club in a godawful fucking mess.

Obviously.

Which as I said earlier to someone else, this would make sense if people like you hadn't been rubbishing the previous Board way before they "lost control" as you call it.  You weren't happy with top 6 finishes. You said it was shit.

You really should be quiet about this otherwise I'll have to remind everyone that you were one of the main whingers about the previous Board during the time we finished 4th, 3rd then 5th. I may go on to remind people that despite having signed Woodgate in January 2003, Darren Ambrose and also Lee Bowyer (England international at the time) on a free during summer 2003, you slagged the Board for not spending millions that summer. I might even remind people that you then amazingly backed the destruction of the team by Souness and the bankrolling of him by the Board to the tune of ~£50m, then you ironically slag the Board for spending despite your boring mantra of "judge him when he's built his own team."

Mate, you're full of shit most of the time, almost everything you post is based on 20/20 hindsight and is still tripe.

If you can't respond to a post without trying to shove words into someone else's mouth, perhaps you should acknowledge that talkboard discussions aren't really your strong point, chum.

As for our failure to strengthen a demoralised squad in the summer of 2003 -- the absolute pivotal moment in the decline of this club, the moment where the old regime started pissing away everything that had been achieved by Sir Bobby Robson -- I still fail to see what the purchase of Woodgate six months earlier has to do with it.

Chronology is obviously not your strongpoint either. But you score pretty high on selective memory.

A weak response, tbh. And total bollocks as usual.

If you could just for once leave aside the ad hominem blather, are you denying that the old lot lost their touch years before they relinquished control and left the club in a real mess?

Dear me, has this thread degenerated to the point where we get to have an old board fight and a Keegan fight simultaneously?

Degenerated?

At least these two discussions have meant we are talking about 'events' as opposed to 'non-events'.

Still, NOT what this thread should be about, really.

So, who is going to win the takeover war?

(1) Incompetent, 'thick-as-they-come' ASHLEY.

(2) Pauper, 'have-you-got-10p-for-the-meter', MOAT

or

(3) Mega Rich, 'but-do-they-exist', YANKS.

Wow . . . what a set of choices!

Dear me, has this thread degenerated to the point where we get to have an old board fight and a Keegan fight simultaneously?

Degenerated?

At least these two discussions have meant we are talking about 'events' as opposed to 'non-events'.

Still, NOT what this thread should be about, really.

So, who is going to win the takeover war?

(1) Incompetent, 'thick-as-they-come' ASHLEY.

(2) Pauper, 'have-you-got-10p-for-the-meter', MOAT

or

(3) Mega Rich, 'but-do-they-exist', YANKS.

Wow . . . what a set of choices!

Yeah, be just our luck to be bought by a bunch of mega-rich Yanks only to find out that they don't exist.

Embarrassing isn't it? Some people still fail to understand why Keegan left.  :facepalm:

Or was he sacked? If he left by his own will he wouldn't be asking for compensation, right?

Not just the wages but how much KK has cost the club just in compensations for terminating his contracts

You can resign/walk out/spit dummy and still launch a constructive dismissal claim.

CHARLES SALE: Americans aim to scupper Barry Moat's Newcastle bid

Last updated at 12:16 AM on 12th September 2009

* Comments (0)

* Add to My Stories

The marathon takeover saga at Newcastle took another twist on Friday night with a New York investment fund dealing direct with owner Mike Ashley in an attempt to fast-track the sale of the club.

It has been claimed their negotiations had reached the stage of a sale and purchase agreement with the Americans, having satisfied Ashley they have the necessary £100million funding to complete the deal.

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley in the stands with Chairman Derek Llambias

But the situation — as ever during Ashley’s regime — is by no means clear as the Americans, represented by Manchester law firm Halliwells, are bypassing the official selling agents Seymour Pierce and conducting their business with Ashley’s London legal advisers Travers Smith.

The middle man in the deal is businessman Geoff Sheard, a former commercial director at Preston, who has kept in the background to avoid any publicity after an attempt to buy Sheffield Wednesday proved unsuccessful.

Stockbrokers Seymour Pierce don’t regard Sheard as a serious buyer, having not been satisfied with his proof of funding.

But a spokesperson for Ashley said last night that Sheard’s consortium were being treated as genuine buyers, yet had ground to make up on Newcastle businessman Barry Moat’s bid.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1212895/CHARLES-SALE-Americans-aim-scupper-Barry-Moats-Newcastle-bid.html#ixzz0QqP8XO

If true, the bit about the Americans dealing direct with Ashley rather than through Seymour Pierce is interesting. Harris has said more than once that he thinks there should be a strong local presence in the ownership of the club. It's reasonable to surmise that he favours Moat.

Personally, I think local ownership is a mixed blessing. You often hear that the club should be owned by someone who understands the place of the club in the region, but it's not clear exactly what decisions would be different in the case of a local owner. If anything, we need owners that can resist the pressure and not get sucked into decisions that are driven more by hope and emotion than common sense. A big problem with Shepherd was that, as a fan, he couldn't resist meddling in footballing decisions and showed favouritism to Shearer as the fans' hero.

You could look at Ashley and say that he, as an outsider, hasn't done very well. My view is that his overall strategy was fine in the circumstances that the club were in, but his fatal blunder was appointing Keegan - a man whose motivation was suspect, who was unsuited to a long-term approach or working within a team, and whose chief asset was his standing with the fans. In that decision, Ashley was paying too much attention to local opinion, not too little.

Of course, some may disagree.

What a load of tripe.

More tripe.

You should be careful what you post on an open forum.

Do you have any evidence to support this allegation? I really do hope you have, or that KK and any of his representatives aren't reading it.

I couldn't give a fuck if the buyer invests their own money tbh, if they run the club sensibly and with ambition we'll be fine. The potential is there; a small amount of speculation will see us up, cut the dead wood (Geremi etc) and get in a manager who you trust and back them within reason. Don't need to be especially wealthy to make a decent success of this club.

And there it is. It really is fucking easy to make this club a success as all one needs is common footballing sense. Ashley and his cronies have clearly lacked this and here we are, slowly clawing back to normalcy despite the fat one's ineptitude.

I wish.

If it was as easy as you make out how come the people who have done the best job of trying in over half a bloody century are despised by so many and thought of as shit, unless the "so many" who think this way are total know-nowts?

You tell me, mate.

Because they lost their touch many years before they relinquished control, and left the club in a godawful fucking mess.

Obviously.

Which as I said earlier to someone else, this would make sense if people like you hadn't been rubbishing the previous Board way before they "lost control" as you call it.  You weren't happy with top 6 finishes. You said it was shit.

You really should be quiet about this otherwise I'll have to remind everyone that you were one of the main whingers about the previous Board during the time we finished 4th, 3rd then 5th. I may go on to remind people that despite having signed Woodgate in January 2003, Darren Ambrose and also Lee Bowyer (England international at the time) on a free during summer 2003, you slagged the Board for not spending millions that summer. I might even remind people that you then amazingly backed the destruction of the team by Souness and the bankrolling of him by the Board to the tune of ~£50m, then you ironically slag the Board for spending despite your boring mantra of "judge him when he's built his own team."

Mate, you're full of shit most of the time, almost everything you post is based on 20/20 hindsight and is still tripe.

If you can't respond to a post without trying to shove words into someone else's mouth, perhaps you should acknowledge that talkboard discussions aren't really your strong point, chum.

As for our failure to strengthen a demoralised squad in the summer of 2003 -- the absolute pivotal moment in the decline of this club, the moment where the old regime started pissing away everything that had been achieved by Sir Bobby Robson -- I still fail to see what the purchase of Woodgate six months earlier has to do with it.

Chronology is obviously not your strongpoint either. But you score pretty high on selective memory.

A weak response, tbh. And total bollocks as usual.

If you could just for once leave aside the ad hominem blather, are you denying that the old lot lost their touch years before they relinquished control and left the club in a real mess?

Just trying and failing to keep up with you. Fact is, nobody comes out with more personal insults than you do. You've been doing it since you first appeared here, which is why you attract it in return.

If there was any point in debating anything with you I would answer your question honestly. Sadly, there's no point.

it was a mistake appointing keegan, but only one in a very, very long line of mistakes, and actually not the biggest one if we're being honest about it. to suggest that he's been fine other than that one thing is ludicrous.

Yes. I agree with that.

It was a mistake appointing Keegan just as it would have been a mistake appointing any manager who wanted to be allowed to manage team affairs. Ashley could have appointed Alex Ferguson and it would have still gone tits up because the jumped up market stall lad had no intention of allowing that person to control team affairs.

He apparently wanted Redknapp. Well if this was a genuine approach is there any wonder Redknapp turned it down, given the way he wants to bring players in and ship 'em out? Perhaps an approach was made and because Redknapp doesn't have the same connections with Newcastle (as Keegan) he was able to be detached and could see straight through the wide-boy, could guess what would really happen?

Fact is, if Ashley had ideas of running the club in a certain fashion he needed to appoint people to certain roles who are willing and able to effectively operate under that model.  He didn't do that and that's totally down to him. Nobody else.

People who blame Keegan really do make me laugh. One dimensional thinking seems to be the name of the game.

The state of the club is 100% down to Ashley.

More tripe.

You should be careful what you post on an open forum.

Do you have any evidence to support this allegation? I really do hope you have, or that KK and any of his representatives aren't reading it.

Think its from the Guardian article  Dave posted earlier

"Barclays generally stipulates that Championship clubs cannot have overdrafts in excess of £10m but Newcastle's previous facility, which expired at the end of last month, was for £39m with the club owing around £20m. They may also be forced to part with as much as £10m should Keegan win his impending constructive-dismissal case."

it was a mistake appointing keegan, but only one in a very, very long line of mistakes, and actually not the biggest one if we're being honest about it. to suggest that he's been fine other than that one thing is ludicrous.

Yes. I agree with that.

It was a mistake appointing Keegan just as it would have been a mistake appointing any manager who wanted to be allowed to manage team affairs. Ashley could have appointed Alex Ferguson and it would have still gone tits up because the jumped up market stall lad had no intention of allowing that person to control team affairs.

He apparently wanted Redknapp. Well if this was a genuine approach is there any wonder Redknapp turned it down, given the way he wants to bring players in and ship 'em out? Perhaps an approach was made and because Redknapp doesn't have the same connections with Newcastle (as Keegan) he was able to be detached and could see straight through the wide-boy, could guess what would really happen?

Fact is, if Ashley had ideas of running the club in a certain fashion he needed to appoint people to certain roles who are willing and able to effectively operate under that model.  He didn't do that and that's totally down to him. Nobody else.

People who blame Keegan really do make me laugh. One dimensional thinking seems to be the name of the game.

yes, it wouldve been a mistake to appoint redknapp in those circumstances too. no doubt he would've walked out (as he'd done twice before due to boardroom interference and so called DOFs at pompey and soton) and gone to spurs around the same time keegan walked. the bigger mistake in my view was not backing the right man when it came down to the crunch. you really have to back the person you think is best for the club in that situation and ashley ballsed it up on a gigantic scale. questions of who was in the right/wrong/i'll wait for the court case and so on are irrelevant, you have to be pragmatic. ashley's major decisions have sent us down, and THAT is the kind criteria you use when judging him.

Yes. I agree with that.

yes, it wouldve been a mistake to appoint redknapp in those circumstances too. no doubt he would've walked out (as he'd done twice before due to boardroom interference and so called DOFs at pompey and soton) and gone to spurs around the same time keegan walked. the bigger mistake in my view was not backing the right man when it came down to the crunch. you really have to back the person you think is best for the club in that situation and ashley ballsed it up on a gigantic scale. questions of who was in the right/wrong/i'll wait for the court case and so on are irrelevant, you have to be pragmatic. ashley's major decisions have sent us down, and THAT is the kind criteria you use when judging him.

Agree to an extent...but you omit the players complete lack of effort from the equation. No way should that squad have been relegated last season.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Keegan wasn't the right man to progress us to European Football and up the table away from mid table mediocrity. Nevertheless, with Keegan we wouldn't have been relegated and would have had a safe mid table position.

Expanding on my previous comment

Robm

Read the papers, mate. Court case his week where he is suing the Club for 8 million plus costs.

I quite understand most of you who love KK living in the past but lets be honest here, he is a serial bottler, cry baby, who has walked out on NUFC three times that I can remember off the top of my head, leaving us in the lurch. Do you honestly think that is responsible? Is it fuck.

Keegan has never completed a job he started, has walked at the slightest problem and mwhen it all boils down to it, What the fuck has he ever won as a manager? NOTHING.

He is just as responsible for the positionj our club is in as Ashley, IMHO. Of course, I wonder what people would have thought of the KK transfer list he drew up and gave to Ashley 12 months or so ago,............Henry, Beckham, Ronaldinho etc etc .........pure fucking fantasy island stuff.

He is just as responsible for the positionj our club is in as Ashley, IMHO. Of course, I wonder what people would have thought of the KK transfer list he drew up and gave to Ashley 12 months or so ago,............Henry, Beckham, Ronaldinho etc etc .........pure f***ing fantasy island stuff.