ESPN UK wins Premier League TV rights - Free on Virgin Media's Top package.

Interpolic

Couldn't happen to a nicer or more competent channel...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/5418018/Setanta-buys-time-from-backers.html

Setanta buys time from backers

Setanta's backers, private equity firms Doughty Hanson and Balderton Capital, and Goldman Sachs, have reportedly offered £50m, leaving the TV company with up to £50m to find.

The broadcaster went to the lengths of approaching rival BSKyB for a £50m advance on a deal under which Sky could sell Setanta broadcasts to its Sky Sports subscribers, but the proposal, which took the form of an interest-free loan, has reportedly been rejected.

Discussions between the company and its backers were understood to be carrying on this weekend. Doughty Hanson and Balderton each own about 20pc of Setanta, while Goldman Sachs holds less than 5pc

Setanta's refinancing negotiations are being led by a recently-appointed team including Sir Robin Miller, the former Emap executive.

The company showed this weekend's FA Cup Final between Chelsea and Everton but its finances have been under the spotlight since it secured the rights to only 23 Premier League games a season from 2010, which cast doubt over its ability to fund itself.

The broadcaster, which has 1.2m subscribers, reportedly has until June 15 to make a £35m payment to the Premier League.

Setanta is in negotiations with customers including the PGA golf tour and the Scottish Premier League to reduce what it pays to air matches. The company is seeking to bargain down some deals by as much as 25pc.

Last month, Setanta appointed accountants from Deloitte along with its advisers at Close Brothers, to help with negotiations.

Setanta declined to comment on funding discussions.

I was all for Sky having a bit of competition but they've made a right pig's ear of it from start to finish.

I do like the fact of how much coverage they give to the Conference.  Never had that many when Sky had the rights,  but yeah, they're royally shit apart from that.

I get this but the money hasn't come out of my account in months.

Same here, I think they charge every quarter. Although their main call centre is in Newry and ive a few mates who work there, I asked them to cancel it on the system a couple of months ago, so maybe theres some sort of bug with my account and its supposed to not be on :lol:

Only positive to come from Setanta showing Premier League games was that I got to meet Les Ferdinand.  Him and Steve McManaman did the pundit stuff on a Newcastle 5.15 game and went to Tup Tup Palace that night.  I was there with my lass  when they walked in (I swear I only went once, true story).  

I bypassed McManaman pretty sharpish and went and shook the Les' hand.  Was a bit mortified the next day when I realised that all I could muster was "Hi Les, you're... you're amazing", pretty sure he thought I was a right freak.

Guest Heneage

Same here, I think they charge every quarter. Although their main call centre is in Newry and ive a few mates who work there, I asked them to cancel it on the system a couple of months ago, so maybe theres some sort of bug with my account and its supposed to not be on :lol:

Nah cos it hasn't happened since Christmas, gone through me bank statements twice.

Nah cos it hasn't happened since Christmas, gone through me bank statements twice.

same with me

Not bothered if someone else over here picks up all the coverage and games they show.

Will be a bit pissed as their internet subscription showed more championship games than there are on tv, live and on demand.

same with me

likewise, cancelled in February but still get it. can't see them doing too well with one less package of games, people will drop them like a stone once they realise how little premiership football is on there this season.

Guest Jinky James

[email protected]

When I phoned to cancel they told me to email to the above with my sky veiwing card number , my address and reason for cancellation,

2 inbound phone calls later asking me why I want to cancel and curt answers from me and it seems that I have cracked it.

Hope this helps.

whats so wrong with setanta like?

100 jobs go at st james' and you're all in tears, but 1000 people's jobs being at risk at setanta is fair game?

Setatna is fucking shit.

Thats whats wrong with it.

Guest toonlass

Has anyone got the address you need to send the cancellation letter to? Thanks in advance.

Just cancel your direct debit. I did in September after the Arsenal debarkle with the cunt Burley's awful and biased commentary, and sent an email to them, explaining that they were shite and I couldn't get through at their call centre so they could take this as my cancellation. Never heard anything back, no more money gone.

whats so wrong with setanta like?

100 jobs go at st james' and you're all in tears, but 1000 people's jobs being at risk at setanta is fair game?

i wasnt in tears. people will always lose jobs, then get new ones, complaining about that's like complaining about the weather. i hate setanta because now i have to pay even more if i want to see all the televised games. and setanta is shit.