The England Thread

Pilko

Kind of a crap match to watch somehow. Johnson looked good, but who can tell really against this opposition? Wasn't impressed by Walcott at all. Proper headless chicken.

I agree. Unbelievably it was the most boring 6-0 I've ever seen :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

I wasn't impressed with Walcott either tbh. Don't particularly rate him.

Same. Not going to write him off, but aye, played like a pretty generic winger, without the end product.

We weren't particularly good but the vast gulf in quality shone through and we battered them as well as we should have done. Didn't look pretty and a lot of players were a bit meh, but the opposition still 11 men behind the ball for ninety minutes, and we wriggled 6 goals out of them. Just ruthlessly efficient, as i think Mowen eloquently put it earlier on today. It's about time we had a qualifying tournament like this; and i'm going as far back as the Eriksson years where we couldn't beat Macedonia at home and lost away to Northern Ireland. We were pretty efficient back then but not squeaky clean like we are now.

Not to get over confident, it was the 11th worst team in world football, but put this alongside all the other results (and the campaigns of the other alleged world champion elects), we're looking pretty good.

Guest firetotheworks

We didn't play particularly amazingly, but amazing football is only required against decent opposition. It would have been overkill in that match. Not that 6-0 isnt mind.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

We looked shit. Couldn't even pass it around on the deck well, relying on Beckham's long balls from the centre and then stumbling around against a fucking shit team. I stopped watching at around the 60 minute mark because it was so dull

There's surely got to be a better role for Walcott than out on the wing, isn't there? He can't cross a ball and he hasn't got nearly enough awareness of what's going on in the middle to be a good winger. The lads blatantly a striker iyam. I was more concerned by Ashley Young's pretty shite performance (given the circumstances). Woeful delivery for someone's allegedly an out and out winger.

Johnson was good but Beckham was by far and away the classiest player on the field tonight. Love the guy to bits tbh.

Guest Heneage

Honest opinion on the players tonight.

Johnson was average really, can't cross with his left and lacks the attacking threat that he poses for Portsmouth.

Walcott- I have a bad feeling Croatia was a flash in the pan for this lad. He rarely uses his pace and gets at people despite that amazing run against Liverpool last year, he has potential to be a great old style winger.

Beckham - did a decent sweep up job but with deep lying teams he will always struggle to do those long range passes, switches the play very well though.

Crouch - Bit like Walcott I guess, has his moments, but he just isn't clinical enough, a lot of the stats about his goal scoring record for England ignore the teams that he has played against.

Defoe - Inept for England. Like Crouch won't be anywhere near the first XI in South Africa barring a miracle as he just isn't clinical enough.

Young- Looked good, showing potential of being the successor to the left side problem, streaks ahead of Downing syndrome.

Infact i'd far rather Walcott playing off Rooney than Rooney playing off Crouch in future. Though it does appear to be that Heskey is the flavour of the month, for some reason...

There's surely got to be a better role for Walcott than out on the wing, isn't there? He can't cross a ball and he hasn't got nearly enough awareness of what's going on in the middle to be a good winger. The lads blatantly a striker iyam. I was more concerned by Ashley Young's pretty s**** performance (given the circumstances). Woeful delivery for someone's allegedly an out and out winger.

Johnson was good but Beckham was by far and away the classiest player on the field tonight. Love the guy to bits tbh.

Like the commentators said, I'd put that down to nerves.

His play and movement was all sharp and jittery as if he was kicking a bomb around the pitch. Why he was nervous like I don't have a clue :lol:

Johnson was average really, can't cross with his left and lacks the attacking threat that he poses for Portsmouth.

Walcott- I have a bad feeling Croatia was a flash in the pan for this lad. He rarely uses his pace and gets at people despite that amazing run against Liverpool last year, he has potential to be a great old style winger.

Beckham - did a decent sweep up job but with deep lying teams he will always struggle to do those long range passes, switches the play very well though.

Crouch - Bit like Walcott I guess, has his moments, but he just isn't clinical enough, a lot of the stats about his goal scoring record for England ignore the teams that he has played against.

Defoe - Inept for England. Like Crouch won't be anywhere near the first XI in South Africa barring a miracle as he just isn't clinical enough.

Young- Looked good, showing potential of being the successor to the left side problem, streaks ahead of Downing syndrome.

Are you on massive quantities of heroin?

I prefer SWP to Walcott in that position. A good defence will snuff Walcott out, because he relies so much on his pace. SWP has far better techinque on the ball.

In some ways games like that where we're physically dominant tend to show up our lack of skill. It's really irritating, when you consider the opposition, to see midfielders run back to take the ball from the centre backs, as though the defenders can't be trusted to move forward and hit a pass themselves.

I wasn't impressed with Walcott either tbh. Don't particularly rate him.

Same. Not going to write him off, but aye, played like a pretty generic winger, without the end product.

And just think: this is how he is now, and Sven took him to the fucking World Cup five years ago! The mad bastard.

Guest Heneage

No are you? You put that team out against a competent side and they'd get beat Croatia last year at Wembley? You want to see how to destroy a team look at Germany spanking San Marino by 13.

Guest firetotheworks

No are you? You put that team out against a competent side and they'd get beat Croatia last year at Wembley? You want to see how to destroy a team look at Germany spanking San Marino by 13.

Yeah you're right, 6-0 is shit.