The England Thread

Pilko

Pearce is presumably on the list and in the England setup in the first place for his reaction after scoring in a penalty shootout against Spain in 1996, showing his uber Englishness.

Have not seen the word grit in a long time and that moment personifies it...

Why isn't grit used in conjunction with the English national side as much as 2/3 years back?

The players aren't good enough no matter who the manager is.

Think England has the players. They just don't use them at times.

No Carrick in the last squad springs to my mind. Probably England's best CM at the moment.

Mourinho would make Terry and Lampard look like their old selves again for one last big tournament I think. He's a master of K.O. tournaments and the EURO would be a perfect venue for him to prove that once again.

I think everyone knows how much a fan of Jose I am but, I honestly believe he could do it, even with the current players available.

Not even a combination of Ernst Happel and Udo Lattek would win England the Euros.

Guardiola should take it be before he ends up at Saudi Arabia.

• 4 weeks later...

Hoddle could choose from Owen, Shearer, Sheringham, Wright, Ferdinand, Fowler, Collymore and a few others as strikers when he was manager.

His midfield was good enough that he felt he could leave Le Tissier and Gazza at home for France 98.

He had Southgate, Adams and Campbell in centre defence, and Seaman and Flowers were still decent goalkeepers.

He still didn't manage to do anything Eriksson didn't manage - was unlucky v Argentina but less so v Romania before that.

The bizarre reasons for his sacking are still there, hes done nothing of note for more than a decade, and the players are far, far worse than when he was in charge.

He would be a ridiculous appointment.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Hoddle has English grit & passion & pride, he's a bulldog with the testicles of three lions eating an English breakfast and drinking a pint of bitter.

He is also bat s*** crazy.

Hoddle could choose from Owen, Shearer, Sheringham, Wright, Ferdinand, Fowler, Collymore and a few others as strikers when he was manager.

His midfield was good enough that he felt he could leave Le Tissier and Gazza at home for France 98.

He had Southgate, Adams and Campbell in centre defence, and Seaman and Flowers were still decent goalkeepers.

He still didn't manage to do anything Eriksson didn't manage - was unlucky v Argentina but less so v Romania before that.

The bizarre reasons for his sacking are still there, hes done nothing of note for more than a decade, and the players are far, far worse than when he was in charge.

He would be a ridiculous appointment.

Aye, but it might be a laugh. And at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, this England team are destined to fail regardless of who's in charge.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hoddle had England playing technical football and was tactically very astute. He's a tremendous coach and ironically the ideal international manager because he prefers coaching, scouting and working on tactics than the actual day to day management side of things. He may not have mnaged for a while but he still coaches I believe. That said, we should be look ahead not back.

Me, if Redknapp doesn't want it, offer it to Shearer. Other national FAs appoint rookie managers, why not Big Al.

Pearce would be a disaster. He was a great player and I love his passion but he is more Graeme Taylor than say, Redknapp. He is all about passion, fighting, team spirit and doing it for the 3 Lions.

Hoddle had England playing technical football and was tactically very astute. He's a tremendous coach and ironically the ideal international manager because he prefers coaching, scouting and working on tactics than the actual day to day management side of things. He may not have mnaged for a while but he still coaches I believe. That said, we should be look ahead not back.

Me, if Redknapp doesn't want it, offer it to Shearer. Other national FAs appoint rookie managers, why not Big Al.

Pearce would be a disaster. He was a great player and I love his passion but he is more Graeme Taylor than say, Redknapp. He is all about passion, fighting, team spirit and doing it for the 3 Lions.

You say look ahead not back but Redknapp is a good few years older than Hoddle but with no international experience be it as a player or manager. I'd give it to Hoddle, the only man since Euro 96 who  you could see a proper pattern of playing and tactics and with proper forward planning. I wouldn't give it to Redknapp and actually could see someone like Shearer or maybe Ince give it a good go too.

Let's plan for 2018 from now. Get a younger coach in and give him a 6 year contract with a remit for continual progress and hopefully come 2016 to 2018, a real shout at winning something.

Guest Howaythetoon

You say look ahead not back but Redknapp is a good few years older than Hoddle but with no international experience be it as a player or manager. I'd give it to Hoddle, the only man since Euro 96 who  you could see a proper pattern of playing and tactics and with proper forward planning. I wouldn't give it to Redknapp and actually could see someone like Shearer or maybe Ince give it a good go too.

Let's plan for 2018 from now. Get a younger coach in and give him a 6 year contract with a remit for continual progress and hopefully come 2016 to 2018, a real shout at winning something.

I actually agree in the main, but for the Euros I'd give it to Harry. Long-term he is not the answer though.

If I was the FA, I'd do everything possible to bring in Mourinho just for the Euro's. You know he can delivere the title - he's a master of knock-out tournaments in the end.

He also knows some (still) key-players like Lampard, Terry and Cole perfectly and would get them to performe at the very highest level again for those 4 weeks.

Guest Craig-NUFC

If I was the FA, I'd do everything possible to bring in Mourinho just for the Euro's. You know he can delivere the title - he's a master of knock-out tournaments in the end.

He also knows some (still) key-players like Lampard, Terry and Cole perfectly and would get them to performe at the very highest level again for those 4 weeks.

I very much doubt any manager on earth could win the Euros with England.

I honestly wouldn't mind Hoddle. I don't think we're spoilt for choice at the moment so it might come down to the fact that its between Hoddle, Pearce and someone else. Obviously, if 'Arry is available then he should get the nod, but I have a feeling England will struggle to find many options certainly short term.

Long term, I think some managers might be tempted to try and succeed where so many have failed- so that could bring with it some exciting names. But I don't think the FA are capable and that's general knowledge now which could well work against us.  But whoever it is long term they don't have a lot to work with. Compare us to Spain, Germany, France, Netherlands etc and we have a severe lack of up and coming talent in abundance. We don't even have a bloody national training centre for f*** sake. It's all caught up on us now.

And for the record; I cant see us getting past the group stages.

Because he's as thick as pig s****, perhaps?

I've got my doubts as to whether Redknapp will want the job when he finally has to make his decision. If Spurs qualify for the Champions League, he's going to be weighing up whether to keep a good thing going (and in many ways the day to day involvement with players might suit him better) or whether to go for a job with maximum pressure and many question marks as to whether he or anyone can deliver on expectations. He doesn't react to criticism particularly well.

The idea of going for a foreign manager seems to be out of favour but I do think it can be easier for someone from abroad to handle that pressure.

The other unknown factor is how much influence Trevor Brooking has over the appointment. He's known Redknapp for a long while as an insider at West Ham and the relationship is said to be a distant one.

Because he's as thick as pig s****, perhaps?

:lol: