The England Thread

Pilko

And completely s*** in all of them. But hey, 7 years past his prime lets stick him in there, for a laugh.

I remember before Euro '96 the media were trying to push Les Ferdinand forward to replace Shearer who hadn't scored in yonks for England. He went on to take the tournament by storm.

Quite a difference between how good Shearer was then though and Owen now.

And completely shit in all of them. But hey, 7 years past his prime lets stick him in there, for a laugh.

Nope.

I remember before Euro '96 the media were trying to push Les Ferdinand forward to replace Shearer who hadn't scored in yonks for England. He went on to take the tournament by storm.

Indeed, while on his England drought he was still scoring 30+ for Blackburn :lol:

The amount of top-class forwards we had available back then was unreal, even if not all them performed to their full ability for England.

Yep. Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Wright, Ferdinand, Collymore, etc. Every single one of them would walk into the current side to partner Rooney.

And completely s*** in all of them. But hey, 7 years past his prime lets stick him in there, for a laugh.

Nope.

Indeed, while on his England drought he was still scoring 30+ for Blackburn :lol:

Not disputing that. But as a 4th choice striker, I'd take Owen over the likes of Crouch, Heskey, C.Cole every time.

Nope.

Not disputing that. But as a 4th choice striker, I'd take Owen over the likes of Crouch, Heskey, C.Cole every time.

they're all clearly better players and easily better partners for Rooney in the even of an injury

Hardly crap in all of them. 2002 he was top scorer. Euro 2000 shearer got the most with 2, 1 more than owen.

2004 scored against portugal what would have been a winner if theyd not scored 7 mins from time.

Talk about pointlessly biased. If owens been crap, the entire England squad has been far worse. So pointless to focus much at him.

He scored 1 in 4 during Euro 2000 and 2 in 5 during WC 2002

my point stands, he was f***ing s**** in those tournaments. And lets not even talk about the other 2.

The amount of top-class forwards we had available back then was unreal, even if not all them performed to their full ability for England.

Yep. Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Wright, Ferdinand, Collymore, etc. Every single one of them would walk into the current side to partner Rooney.

I know some may differ but i think it is down to the greater amounts of foreigners in the english game. you can buy a ready-made foreign player now whereas back then you sometimes had to look to develop your own and buy from the lower leagues. Sheringham, Wright, Ferdinand, Collymore and Cole all started or had to go down to the lower levels of the game and then had to work their way up and develop over time. I feel there is less pressure to develop players now. that is not the fault of foreigners, but the way english clubs see them as an easy option. also, back in the 80s when those players were coming through youth schemes you had to rely on british players to make up pretty much the entirety of a side so clubs simply had to produce all different kinds of players - the silky defender, cultured playmaker, intelligent number 10 etc. you couldnt go abroad and get them as easily as you now can. whereas now there's almost this division of labour going on, where we naturally look to foreigners to provide certain elements of our side and, similarly, look to english players for more traditional or straight-forward elements like pace, height, aggression, leadership etc.

mind you I also think a high amount of foreigners in the league is inevitable and the answer isnt going back and restricting numbers.

He scored 1 in 4 during Euro 2000 and 2 in 5 during WC 2002

my point stands, he was f***ing s**** in those tournaments. And lets not even talk about the other 2.

As i said though, in comparison to who which you didnt answer.

A striker will only perform so well if the rest of the team isnt doing much. If others were doing far better ud have a case, they werent & so you dont.